The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 22 January 2019, 01:52 AM   #1
jjcthe1
"TRF" Member

Ideas for a Gold watch 41mm or larger

Hey guys so I had my heart dead set on a solid gold 6 digit model number 18k Submariner with a blue dial....till I put it on my wrist this weekend. Its just too dainty and small for me. I was really bummed but also relieved I waited to be able to try the watch on wrist before handing over the cash. Anyway, back to the drawing board we go. If anyone can make a suggestion that would be awesome. While I dont consider watches investments, I dont want one that looses all of its value, partially why I wanted the Rolex sub. Here is what I am looking for:

Something solid gold with a gold band - I really like Rose gold but yellow is fine too
At least 41mm...ideally 42-44
Under 30k

A little about me - the watches in my collection I wear the most are a 507 Bronzo Panerai and a Deep Sea James Cameron although I do own and wear smaller watches.
jjcthe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 02:26 AM   #2
james.l
"TRF" Member

Sky dweller or yachmaster 2 from rolex?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
james.l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 02:42 AM   #3
jjcthe1
"TRF" Member

Love the size of these but hate the watch itself. I feel like the yachmaster was ruined when the design was changed.
Old 22 January 2019, 08:07 AM   #4
PJ S
Banned

Pre-owned Vacheron Constantin Overseas 47040.
https://www.chrono24.com/vacheroncon...-id8674554.htm – not sure what the price of the RG bracelet is, but bank on $5-6K at least, and assuming there is still stock of them.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 08:17 AM   #5
jjcthe1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
Pre-owned Vacheron Constantin Overseas 47040.
https://www.chrono24.com/vacheroncon...-id8674554.htm – not sure what the price of the RG bracelet is, but bank on $5-6K at least, and assuming there is still stock of them.
That is really nice, I like these but dont love them.

I also was considering an AP but man they dont hold value at all.

I like the rose gold 44m with the leather strap look on the AP.
Old 22 January 2019, 11:38 AM   #6
Robare31
"TRF" Member

Watch: Cellini Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcthe1 View Post
Hey guys so I had my heart dead set on a solid gold 6 digit model number 18k Submariner with a blue dial....till I put it on my wrist this weekend. Its just too dainty and small for me. I was really bummed but also relieved I waited to be able to try the watch on wrist before handing over the cash. Anyway, back to the drawing board we go. If anyone can make a suggestion that would be awesome. While I dont consider watches investments, I dont want one that looses all of its value, partially why I wanted the Rolex sub. Here is what I am looking for:

Something solid gold with a gold band - I really like Rose gold but yellow is fine too

At least 41mm...ideally 42-44

Under 30k

A little about me - the watches in my collection I wear the most are a 507 Bronzo Panerai and a Deep Sea James Cameron although I do own and wear smaller watches.

I wanted a solid gold one also. I went with the Cellini Date. Its 39mm, but big enough for me. It’s doesn’t hold it value either, from what I have read. But, I think it is a beautiful watch, which I didn’t buy for resale anyway. Thats my 2 cents on A Rolex gold watch. Hope you find what your looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Robare31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 02:38 PM   #7
VintageVagabound
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That is really nice, I like these but dont love them.

I also was considering an AP but man they dont hold value at all.

I like the rose gold 44m with the leather strap look on the AP.
No precious metal watches will hold their value if you buy them new. Buy it used and let the other guy take the hit. It sounds like the Sky Dweller in RG would be ideal for you if you found the right price. Cartier makes an 18k ballon bleu in 42mm which you can find used for around 25k. Personally I've had my eye on a JLC Reverso in all rose gold with rose gold bracelet but it's the more moderate size of 29x42mm. You can find these for under 15k and it's a classic watch that is likely different from others in the collection.
VintageVagabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 03:55 PM   #8
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
I would say AP ROO brick but those are well over the price range you mentioned. Only thing I can think of in your price range would be the Omega Seamaster 300M. There’s a YG and Sedna gold version of the watch on a bracelet for $34k and it’s 41mm. Being that it’s an Omega I’m sure there are large discounts available.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 11:10 PM   #9
jjcthe1
"TRF" Member

thanks guys, love all the feedback!! I need to try on a skydweller
Old 24 January 2019, 11:43 PM   #10
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Ap ro
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 12:23 AM   #11
themast
"TRF" Member

I am not sure if you can get it at 30k but if you like rose gold and solid gold bracelet, you have to go for the most beautiful rose gold watch out there!

15400OR.OO.1220OR.03__93815.1482144238.750.750.png
themast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 12:59 AM   #12
jjcthe1
"TRF" Member

the only APs I really like are the ROOs, I am not a fan of the more formal models. The sport models are what i prefer. Just a preference.
Old 25 January 2019, 01:43 AM   #13
socalwatchcollector
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pateks Plural
AP's lose value? Strange... My perpetual in ceramic is 50k or higher over retail everywhere I have looked. Seems you have been misinformed but neither here nor there. Don't buy the lower end references at retail and you will be fine.

As far as the gold ROO is concerned it seems to have a major design flaw IMO. (brick excluded) The watch case is too heavy for leather or rubber and it will slip non stop. I am guessing most other people would agree with that and then some others may call for my death but keep that in mind before buying one.
socalwatchcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 02:31 AM   #14
jjcthe1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalwatchcollector View Post
AP's lose value? Strange... My perpetual in ceramic is 50k or higher over retail everywhere I have looked. Seems you have been misinformed but neither here nor there. Don't buy the lower end references at retail and you will be fine.

As far as the gold ROO is concerned it seems to have a major design flaw IMO. (brick excluded) The watch case is too heavy for leather or rubber and it will slip non stop. I am guessing most other people would agree with that and then some others may call for my death but keep that in mind before buying one.
Thanks for the post. Honestly when I look at the resell market of some of the ROOs it "appears" that the ones that are priced higher are just ads to get you to inquire. The pieces priced at a significant discount are actually for sale. Feel free to correct me as I dont know the market and perhaps am misinformed.

To be completely transparent with you, I have not priced any APs other than the ROOs with a rubber or leather strap. I tried one on and really liked it, but now that you mention the slippage, I can see what you mean. Its something I mentally noted but didnt think of the actual ownership experience till you explained that.

The Perpetual is really nice, I just looked it up.
Old 29 January 2019, 02:32 AM   #15
socalwatchcollector
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pateks Plural
Quote:
Thanks for the post. Honestly when I look at the resell market of some of the ROOs it "appears" that the ones that are priced higher are just ads to get you to inquire. The pieces priced at a significant discount are actually for sale. Feel free to correct me as I dont know the market and perhaps am misinformed.

To be completely transparent with you, I have not priced any APs other than the ROOs with a rubber or leather strap. I tried one on and really liked it, but now that you mention the slippage, I can see what you mean. Its something I mentally noted but didnt think of the actual ownership experience till you explained that.

The Perpetual is really nice, I just looked it up.
If you have a relationship with AP they will do discounts but for the ROO it's best IMO to just find one from secondary market. Usually a few grand less than retail and you can find them brand new. My regular secondary market guy can get pretty much anything you want and if you decide to fire away on one I can shoot you his info. Honestly for the ROO if you don't want the slip I would do the new ghost. It is titanium and fits like a glove! Even the stainless version is too top heavy.

Apologies for the delayed reply. It's been hectic!
socalwatchcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2019, 05:36 AM   #16
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Panerai? Gold Submersible is just beautiful. There’s also a 42mm Radiomir with California dial.
Old 29 January 2019, 11:53 AM   #17
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
I went with this, although I picked it up from DavidSW for about the same price as an all stainless 116520 :
a very wearable 45mm

Quick wristie

( it came on a beautiful thick calfskin with gold deployant, but as I occasionally swim with it I changed that out )
Old 29 January 2019, 12:05 PM   #18
Avav1
"TRF" Member

JL Master Memovox

Avav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2019, 05:16 PM   #19
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiparks View Post
I went with this, although I picked it up from DavidSW for about the same price as an all stainless 116520 :
a very wearable 45mm

Quick wristie

( it came on a beautiful thick calfskin with gold deployant, but as I occasionally swim with it I changed that out )
That is a beautiful piece.
Old 29 January 2019, 09:20 PM   #20
kunlun
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalwatchcollector View Post
If you have a relationship with AP they will do discounts!
Nope, not a dollar, not for their best customer. As of mid 2018, this is the policy.
kunlun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2019, 10:11 PM   #21
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I would go try on the YG Sky-Dweller. It is 42 mm and is a watch that is for the person that does not mind size or wrist presence. I have owned several and currently own the YG with the silver Roman Numeral dial. I also own it in SS and previously owned it in WG but the SS made the WG not seem like a good value. Good luck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181108_112056 (002).jpg (221.5 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg 20181108_112139 (002).jpg (175.6 KB, 80 views)
1William is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2019, 02:23 AM   #22
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbeer7 View Post
That is a beautiful piece.
Thankyou sir !
I disliked gold watches, the I saw this one in brushed RG and fell in love...

a couple more pics to try and sway the OP.....

Old 30 January 2019, 06:52 AM   #23
Torque Time
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ 1601
DD gets my vote for gold watch...even though it is slightly smaller than 41
Torque Time is offline   Reply With Quote