The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 22 January 2019, 07:55 PM   #1
RolexEngineer
"TRF" Member

Ulysse Nardin Feedback

I’ve been a fan of UN’s designs for a while. Any feedback on their movements reliability? I like the UN Marine Chronograph with Ref. 513-22. I saw one on the for sale forum... the only issue is that it has a leather band instead of the really nice SS bracelet.
RolexEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 08:17 PM   #2
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexEngineer View Post
I’ve been a fan of UN’s designs for a while. Any feedback on their movements reliability? I like the UN Marine Chronograph with Ref. 513-22. I saw one on the for sale forum... the only issue is that it has a leather band instead of the really nice SS bracelet.
I'm a big fan of UN, have owned/still own many including Freak 1, Freak 2, Tellurium, Berlin 1, Marine Chronometer, Marine Perpetual, Ludwig Perpetual. Many of the older pieces are ETA (chrono grade) based with major reworking and finishing by UN. Never had an issue - except with the Freak 1 which was updated FOC. Rubber/Titanium straps are very comfortable but I would also recommend getting the bracelet if you can. Not sure if it was an option or standard to have both on the piece you are looking at?
Russell996 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 06:57 AM   #3
Txkill
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
I like UN...haven’t bought one yet, but I’m tempted by the Freak X...I want it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Txkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 12:55 AM   #4
RolexEngineer
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the feedback Russell996 and Txkill. I’m not sure about the bracelet option, but I do think that it is nice to have it. Any idea of the servicing costs for UN?
RolexEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 12:55 AM   #5
liu_watch
"TRF" Member

I’ve always liked UN, but haven’t found a reference that grabs me atheistically (within budget that is). I would not worry at all about their movement reliability - they have been at the forefront in technical development in the watch industry. They were the first to come out with silicon escapement. They also seem to put a lot emphasis on movement reliability, like Omega, Rolex and Grand Seiko. Therefore I would imagine their base in-house calibers are also very solid, backed by 5 years of warranty.

My UN grail is the Tellurium. What a unique “timepiece”!
liu_watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 12:58 AM   #6
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liu_watch View Post
I’ve always liked UN, but haven’t found a reference that grabs me atheistically (within budget that is). I would not worry at all about their movement reliability - they have been at the forefront in technical development in the watch industry. They were the first to come out with silicon escapement. They also seem to put a lot emphasis on movement reliability, like Omega, Rolex and Grand Seiko. Therefore I would imagine their base in-house calibers are also very solid, backed by 5 years of warranty.

My UN grail is the Tellurium. What a unique “timepiece”!
Excellant point about UN being at the forefront of movement development.

The Tellurium is a beauty.
Russell996 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2019, 12:35 AM   #7
Cadi1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Panerai,UN
I have had a couple of the UN watches and loved them. Had a marine chronometer and a maxi marine chronograph. Never had a problem. Actually looking at buying another, just need to decide on what model.
Cadi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2019, 12:08 PM   #8
Flintstone
"TRF" Member

My UN, dare I say, has stolen a lot of wrist time from my Rolexes and others. A great watch!!
Flintstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 12:15 PM   #9
jatco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116233/79190
Well I'm in the looky loo for a 'birthdate' watch... and stumbled upon a couple of UN's that might 'tickle' my fancy..!
They seem to be a reputable piece...
Thoughts...?

' A Crown for every achievement '
jatco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 01:00 PM   #10
dadonn2
"TRF" Member

I became friends with the former GM of a Tourneau who is a WIS. His favorite brands are UN and Bucherer. Apparently, the movements of UN are top notch and have heard/read similar with regards to them being at the forefront of technical development as well as experimenting with different materials. I think they're a greatly unsung brand (along with Breguet) but I'm a boring sort so I think I'll end up with a UN Marine Diver at some point.
dadonn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 01:23 PM   #11
jatco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116233/79190
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadonn2 View Post
I became friends with the former GM of a Tourneau who is a WIS. His favorite brands are UN and Bucherer. Apparently, the movements of UN are top notch and have heard/read similar with regards to them being at the forefront of technical development as well as experimenting with different materials. I think they're a greatly unsung brand (along with Breguet) but I'm a boring sort so I think I'll end up with a UN Marine Diver at some point.
Ya know, I'm kinda interested in something 'different'. Got my Rolex, my Tudor, some classic pieces from family, ie, Hamilton and Elgin etc.
Just playing the field for a 1952 piece.

' A Crown for every achievement '
jatco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 11:46 PM   #12
Rolexoman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust II
Well I just recently purchased my first UN Marine Torpilleur and it has the UN-118 moment so time will tell ( lol ) on how well it performs
Citizens Eco-Drive BL1258-53L Rolex DJII 116334, Tudor Heritage Black Bay 79230R Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra GMT 231.13.43.22.02.004 Ulysse Nardin Marine Torpilleur 1183.310/40 MAS Irukandji Vostok Komandirskie B&R BR0392-D-G-BR/SCA Vostok Komandirskie (Tank) South Bend Model 1 #716632 Vostok Amphibia (Sub)
Rolexoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 08:58 AM   #13
dadonn2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatco View Post
Ya know, I'm kinda interested in something 'different'. Got my Rolex, my Tudor, some classic pieces from family, ie, Hamilton and Elgin etc.
Just playing the field for a 1952 piece.
I hope you find one. I admit to a vicarious thrill when someone goes in on a brand I don't own but have an interest in. I'm also a little fed up that Rolex discussion have primarily become about availability and pricing so I think the UN diver for me is not that far off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexoman View Post
Well I just recently purchased my first UN Marine Torpilleur and it has the UN-118 moment so time will tell ( lol ) on how well it performs
how do you like it so far?
dadonn2 is offline   Reply With Quote