The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 15 January 2019, 12:15 AM   #31
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

959 has a bit of a Seamaster 300 feel to it, IMO. ;-)

Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2019, 12:31 AM   #32
mbalmz

is it just me or do the 2 new 42mm submersibles downgrade the movement? I have the current 42mm (PAM00682) which uses OP9010, which I understand to be fully in-house (and include an independently set hour hand, which is great). that movement seems to still be used in the new 47mm time and date versions of the submersible, but the new 42mms seem to use a different, no longer in-house movement this time around. kind of weak, no?
mbalmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2019, 12:32 AM   #33
hitman23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
959 has a bit of a Seamaster 300 feel to it, IMO. ;-)

is that a good or bad thing?

love the blue and grey combo, but not sure if I like that textured dial enough to buy one
hitman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2019, 12:45 AM   #34
Cru Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbalmz View Post
is it just me or do the 2 new 42mm submersibles downgrade the movement? I have the current 42mm (PAM00682) which uses OP9010, which I understand to be fully in-house (and include an independently set hour hand, which is great). that movement seems to still be used in the new 47mm time and date versions of the submersible, but the new 42mms seem to use a different, no longer in-house movement this time around. kind of weak, no?
Huh....OP XXXIV (meaning, modified ETA) instead of P.9010? Panerai's website still lists the 682 as P.9010 (for whatever that's worth).

That can't be right, can it?

If so, very strange indeed....One would think that means a cheaper price than the 682, but maybe Panerai will tell us the ceramic insert is $$$$?

EDIT: just found that, yes, it's OP XXXIV according to Panerai's website. I'm not an "inhouse" snob, but, why do this when the 682 is P.9010? So strange.

EDIT 2: not so strange, this is Panerai, after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman23 View Post
is that a good or bad thing?

love the blue and grey combo, but not sure if I like that textured dial enough to buy one
Neither good nor bad, just making a comment. ;-)

I don't mind the textured dial - it's different and seems to fit with the theme.
Old 15 January 2019, 12:50 AM   #35
hitman23
"TRF" Member

what's the movement in the 42's? I thought everything was inhouse now?
Old 15 January 2019, 12:52 AM   #36
mbalmz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
Huh....OP XXXIV (meaning, modified ETA) instead of P.9010? Panerai's website still lists the 682 as P.9010 (for whatever that's worth).

That can't be right, can it?

If so, very strange indeed....One would think that means a cheaper price than the 682, but maybe Panerai will tell us the ceramic insert is $$$$?

Based on what I've read this seems to be the case... I also notice the new 42mms are getting rid of "Luminor" on the dial in favor of just "Panerai Submersible". All told I quite like the new color schemes/bezels (particularly the blue) but I've got a lot of new appreciation for my 682 this morning...
Old 15 January 2019, 12:53 AM   #37
hitman23
"TRF" Member

never mind, just found the info. wtf are they thinking?
Old 15 January 2019, 12:58 AM   #38
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
oh no, panerai put in their 1000 dollar watch a ETA movement worth only 30 dollars?!
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2019, 01:06 AM   #39
Cru Jones

Some others (non-submersibles!!) floating around the internet...don’t have many details.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 15 January 2019, 02:50 AM   #40
Stack
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM312|AP 15400ST
Quote:
Based on what I've read this seems to be the case... I also notice the new 42mms are getting rid of "Luminor" on the dial in favor of just "Panerai Submersible". All told I quite like the new color schemes/bezels (particularly the blue) but I've got a lot of new appreciation for my 682 this morning...

Yes Panerai has consolidated into 4 lines. All the Luminors in one, then Radiomir , Luminor Due, and now Submersibles are a lone of their own. Hence why you don’t see the text anymore on the dial.

Old 15 January 2019, 02:58 AM   #41
ocwatching
"TRF" Member

hate to say it..its got a lot of Roger Dubuis in these Sub releases...
I like the dial on the mike horn but the bezel?
some of the subs have interesting colors...at least its not the aged ecru look...
but my money is safe for another year...

Stack..thanks for the coverage...very good photos in the metal and not press kits
Old 15 January 2019, 03:13 AM   #42
Stack
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM312|AP 15400ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocwatching View Post
hate to say it..its got a lot of Roger Dubuis in these Sub releases...

I like the dial on the mike horn but the bezel?

some of the subs have interesting colors...at least its not the aged ecru look...

but my money is safe for another year...

Stack..thanks for the coverage...very good photos in the metal and not press kits

Thank you. If you have me on IG. I posted videos of all of them because I know you guys see pictures all the time. So maybe that gives you all a better sense of it.

Old 15 January 2019, 03:45 AM   #43
Dan2010
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stack View Post
Thank you. If you have me on IG. I posted videos of all of them because I know you guys see pictures all the time. So maybe that gives you all a better sense of it.

Whats the reaction there with these unveilings?
Dan2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2019, 04:55 AM   #44
Betta01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo99 View Post
both the new 42mm submersibles look really nice!

Agree. They are lovely..hopefully Panerai does matching steel bracelet for them..
May consider letting go my PAM212 to get the black one.

Sent from my HUAWEI NXT-L29 using Tapatalk
Betta01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2019, 05:18 AM   #45
synequano
Banned

Pam is doing the RD and hublot at the same time,maybe the company is going French after all.....
synequano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2019, 06:46 AM   #46
stockae92
"TRF" Member

I really hope that they would put screw bars instead of spring bars in the new carbotech ...
stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2019, 11:03 AM   #47
Travelller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my sig. ;)
T4S!
Panerai 111 217 233
Rolex 16600 126600
Seiko SBGA125 SBDX001 SLA017 SLA025 SLA033
Tudor 5B GMT
Zénith A386ME
Other Mühle Glashütte S.A.R. Flieger Chronoswiss Tora
Travelller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2019, 12:43 PM   #48
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek/Rolex/GS
Quote:
Wow. just insane if this is true. I've been anxiously awaiting the new submersible releases for this year.......hoping for some more 42mm models to compliment the 682. I was especially hoping for something in titanium or BMG big tech in a 42mm.
Never, ever, could I have imagined they would take two steps backwards with their obvious focus on materials rather than what's inside and put OP ETA movements in these new releases!????

WTF.

Here is one link I found: https://www.watchonista.com/articles...ce-only-pieces

I guess I'll just hang onto my 1312 and continue to avoid buying another PAM.
bruinmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2019, 12:49 PM   #49
The OG Beef
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinmd View Post
Wow. just insane if this is true. I've been anxiously awaiting the new submersible releases for this year.......hoping for some more 42mm models to compliment the 682. I was especially hoping for something in titanium or BMG big tech in a 42mm.
Never, ever, could I have imagined they would take two steps backwards with their obvious focus on materials rather than what's inside and put OP ETA movements in these new releases!????

WTF.

Do you have a link to these new releases with info and prices? Just curious how you found out.

OP XXXIV is a shared Richemont movement with modifications by each brand. While it’s not a true, OP in-house movement it’s not simply a modified ETA.

Sent from Beef’s iPad using Tapatalk
The OG Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2019, 01:00 PM   #50
mbalmz

Quote:

WTF.

Do you have a link to these new releases with info and prices? Just curious how you found out.

totally agreed. particularly in light of what other brands are doing—IWC upgrading to in-house movements in their entry level pilots watches, AP (new dial design notwithstanding) developing really impressive new movements that will probably eventually trickle down to most of their lineup, tudor moving away from ETA and rolex continuing to make steady incremental upgrades—to take a core segment of sports watches in their “entry level” tier and DOWNGRADE the movements like this (to say nothing of increasing the prices anyway) is sad and perplexing. I love my 682 (and I guess appreciate it more now), but man, Panerai make it hard for people who care about watches to love their brand sometimes.

as to sourcing, I read about these on Hodinkee (https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/pa...mm-introducing) but I’ve since checked the website and looks like this is indeed the case.

___

instagram: @brooklynwatchguy
Old 15 January 2019, 01:04 PM   #51
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The OG Beef View Post
OP XXXIV is a shared Richemont movement with modifications by each brand. While it’s not a true, OP in-house movement it’s not simply a modified ETA.

Sent from Beef’s iPad using Tapatalk
Regardless, none of the OP movements are in house movements, and therefore have traditionally been in all of their 'base' models.

But now, one year after releasing a 682 with an in house movement priced reasonably well, they are now putting out the 683 and 959, two 42mm submersibles not in BMG tech or titanium, but in SS-- with ceramic bezels-- but with that OP movement.

AND......they price it higher than the 682.

So basically, for a different color combo and ceramic bezel inserts, they also downgrade the movement and expect people to pay more.

I'm really at a loss.
Old 15 January 2019, 01:08 PM   #52
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
totally agreed. particularly in light of what other brands are doing—IWC upgrading to in-house movements in their entry level pilots watches, AP (new dial design notwithstanding) developing really impressive new movements that will probably eventually trickle down to most of their lineup, tudor moving away from ETA and rolex continuing to make steady incremental upgrades—to take a core segment of sports watches in their “entry level” tier and DOWNGRADE the movements like this (to say nothing of increasing the prices anyway) is sad and perplexing. I love my 682 (and I guess appreciate it more now), but man, Panerai make it hard for people who care about watches to love their brand sometimes.

as to sourcing, I read about these on Hodinkee (https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/pa...mm-introducing) but I’ve since checked the website and looks like this is indeed the case.

thanks. Since I initially posted, I edited my response to your post with a link that I found that gave me some info.

i couldn't agree more. I had just listened to the new Panerai CEO's interview on the watch and listen podcast, and was optimistic to see what would be released.

I've read where Panerai has been taking a beating reputation wise the last few years, and I've been an ardent defender of the brand, even with its apparent devaluation as evidenced by the secondary market. So here comes their CEO from Roger Dubuis, with a lot of hope and expectations....... and then he goes out and signs off on this !??
Old 15 January 2019, 02:13 PM   #53
fullcourt
"TRF" Member

Watch: panerai
some winner, some so/so, some not so much....2019 the year of the sub, lol

chgo_risti on IG
fullcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2019, 02:35 PM   #54
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

I like some of the additions in the Radiomir line; but several of the pieces once again overlap with previous green and blue dial releases they have done in the past. Panerai seems to continue to do the things that have devalued the brand in the past. Each individual release is fine, but taken as a whole they are redundant, gimmicky, and overpriced.

I see that Panerai has changed how they present their lineup of watches, but I think the new categorization confuses the purchaser. It made more sense to categorize the references by their case shape. I get Panerai wants to shine a spotlight on the Submersible, but it does so at the expense of now grouping all Radiomirs and Luminors into one category. Panerai needs to go back and tune up and streamline the regular production models. There is no cohesion among the offerings. The average consumer doesn’t understand the different between a Radiomir and Radiomir 1940.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2019, 03:08 PM   #55
Saoirse32
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Regardless, none of the OP movements are in house movements, and therefore have traditionally been in all of their 'base' models.

But now, one year after releasing a 682 with an in house movement priced reasonably well, they are now putting out the 683 and 959, two 42mm submersibles not in BMG tech or titanium, but in SS-- with ceramic bezels-- but with that OP movement.

AND......they price it higher than the 682.

So basically, for a different color combo and ceramic bezel inserts, they also downgrade the movement and expect people to pay more.

I'm really at a loss.

^^^^well said. I don’t get it either.
ROLEX Sea-Dweller Mk1 (126600)
ROLEX DeepSea D-Blue (136660)
OMEGA Speedmaster “Silver Snoopy Award” (310.32.42.50.02.001)
OMEGA Seamaster Diver 300M 75th Anniversary (210.30.42.20.03.003)
IWC Chronograph Top Gun Edition “Woodland” (IW389106)
Saoirse32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2019, 04:50 PM   #56
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saoirse32 View Post
^^^^well said. I don’t get it either.
may be the new CEO aims to place the 42mm watches in the entry level category and put in cheap non inhouse movements from now on.
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2019, 09:35 PM   #57
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager135 View Post
I like some of the additions in the Radiomir line; but several of the pieces once again overlap with previous green and blue dial releases they have done in the past. Panerai seems to continue to do the things that have devalued the brand in the past. Each individual release is fine, but taken as a whole they are redundant, gimmicky, and overpriced.

I see that Panerai has changed how they present their lineup of watches, but I think the new categorization confuses the purchaser. It made more sense to categorize the references by their case shape. I get Panerai wants to shine a spotlight on the Submersible, but it does so at the expense of now grouping all Radiomirs and Luminors into one category. Panerai needs to go back and tune up and streamline the regular production models. There is no cohesion among the offerings. The average consumer doesn’t understand the different between a Radiomir and Radiomir 1940.
Totally agree. For people entering the brand, including a few that I know, they have no idea about the differences between the luminor models and radiomir models. The prior distinction between the cases is what helped me when I first got into the brand.
Old 15 January 2019, 10:20 PM   #58
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I am not sure about these models and the prices are not reasonable. Give it a little time and if you want one it will be below 50% retail pre-owned. Panerai appears to move in waves of they either do great or they lose it. They are not doing good here.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2019, 11:37 PM   #59
DonnieD
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of em
From a previous owner of the 682 and some kind of Panerai wearer since 06' I kinda dig the 683 (42 sub). Could've done without all the blue writing though. What I really cannot wrap my head around is the over 2k price jump for a lesser movement than is in the 682. And don't tell me a ceramic bezel insert costs that much more. Way to wet the bed Panerai. And as for the rest, NO THANK YOU.
U-G-L-Y!!
DonnieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 07:54 AM   #60
Timmer1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue Fifty Fathoms
I really like that they came out with the stainless steel case and ceramic bezel but agree they really missed the mark by not using an in-house movement. I also saw on HODINKEE a $9,500 price tag for the blue and grey.
Timmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote