The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 12 October 2019, 03:57 AM   #1
mixi613
"TRF" Member

Watch: patek 5990
Incoming ( and what would you do)

Just got this watch for my wife and when we took it out the plastic at the ad the watch had some scratches. Was very noticeable. Didn’t make a big deal about it. Showed it to the ad there and then and he said he can polish it which he did to remove the scratches. Ad has been good to me and got me some hard to get watches and didn’t want to give him a hard time, my wife would scratch it up anyway. Would you do anything different? Was very surprised by this. Also watch was smudged and didn’t come I’m that mint mint way you’d expect. Have you guys ever experienced this. Anyway. Here are some pics of the wife’s new watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mixi613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2019, 04:00 AM   #2
Mr Naultilus
Banned

Congrats on incoming

And i'm sure the AD will remember you in future
Mr Naultilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2019, 04:09 AM   #3
mixi613
"TRF" Member

Yeah. That’s what I figured. He fixed it in house and apologized and said he never saw it come from factory like that. At the end of the day won’t make much of a difference but I would expect better from Patek. No way it was inspected properly before was sent out unless it happened during shipping.

Old 12 October 2019, 04:16 AM   #4
Mr Naultilus
Banned

It seems the QC is dropping and has been for a little while now, maybe they should go back to 40,000 watches per year, can you imagine the storm from that ?
Old 12 October 2019, 04:25 AM   #5
martinr
"TRF" Member

Do you mean sealed in the plastic bag from Patek? That’s not good if it was already scratched. Or was it already open and wrapped in plastic by the AD? Either way not good but if you’re happy with it that’s what matters. Congrats to you and your wife.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2019, 04:29 AM   #6
SL BRABUS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Only Rolex & Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixi613 View Post
Just got this watch for my wife and when we took it out the plastic at the ad the watch had some scratches. Was very noticeable. Didn’t make a big deal about it. Showed it to the ad there and then and he said he can polish it which he did to remove the scratches. Ad has been good to me and got me some hard to get watches and didn’t want to give him a hard time, my wife would scratch it up anyway. Would you do anything different? Was very surprised by this. Also watch was smudged and didn’t come I’m that mint mint way you’d expect. Have you guys ever experienced this. Anyway. Here are some pics of the wife’s new watch.

Leave as is......

"SL BRABUS" aka BenzWorld Undercover Moderator
SL BRABUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2019, 04:29 AM   #7
incontrol
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them...
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinr View Post
Do you mean sealed in the plastic bag from Patek? That’s not good if it was already scratched. Or was it already open and wrapped in plastic by the AD? Either way not good but if your happy with it that’s what matters. Congrats to you and your wife.

Exactly. Was this sitting at the AD in the case to be tried on? Then the AD is at fault here and not Patek. I doubt it was sealed from Geneva looking like you described.

Old 12 October 2019, 04:37 AM   #8
mixi613
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinr View Post
Do you mean sealed in the plastic bag from Patek? That’s not good if it was already scratched. Or was it already open and wrapped in plastic by the AD? Either way not good but if you’re happy with it that’s what matters. Congrats to you and your wife.

Sealed in plastic from patek. Opened up and there was scratches and smudges and watch looked like it could have been used.

Old 12 October 2019, 04:38 AM   #9
mixi613
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by incontrol View Post
Exactly. Was this sitting at the AD in the case to be tried on? Then the AD is at fault here and not Patek. I doubt it was sealed from Geneva looking like you described.

Sealed from geneva. Was cut and opened in front of me and noticed scratches right away.

Old 12 October 2019, 04:39 AM   #10
zahain
"TRF" Member

Incoming ( and what would you do)

Yeah i agree with just leaving it as is. As long as the watch doesn’t have any dents or movement/time issues then you’re good. Plus the gold scratches very easily like you said & your AD polished it. Depending on how your AD is, if you escalate it you may just end up at the bottom of any future lists if they get annoyed but it’s understandable from a customer perspective and the cost of these pieces. Quite common to see some hairline swirls on Rolex polished sections watches as people come and try them on so it wouldn’t bother me.

I did read once somewhere that AD’s can send their watches back that have been cut open to be resealed and sent back. Not sure if thats common practice to do or if its even worth doing for a ladies piece

zahain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2019, 05:07 AM   #11
Mr Naultilus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahain View Post
Yeah i agree with just leaving it as is. As long as the watch doesn’t have any dents or movement/time issues then you’re good. Plus the gold scratches very easily like you said & your AD polished it. Depending on how your AD is, if you escalate it you may just end up at the bottom of any future lists if they get annoyed but it’s understandable from a customer perspective and the cost of these pieces. Quite common to see some hairline swirls on Rolex polished sections watches as people come and try them on so it wouldn’t bother me.

I did read once somewhere that AD’s can send their watches back that have been cut open to be resealed and sent back. Not sure if thats common practice to do or if its even worth doing for a ladies piece

To reseal the plastic packaging isn't that hard
Old 12 October 2019, 05:12 AM   #12
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Naultilus View Post
To reseal the plastic packaging isn't that hard
I have one of those food sealers
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2019, 05:21 AM   #13
Mr Naultilus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
I have one of those food sealers
If the name is true , do you reseal or just eat
Old 12 October 2019, 05:25 AM   #14
Cesium137
Banned

It did happen to me, I walked away from the deal. That said, congrats on the new addition I’m sure your wife loves it.
Cesium137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2019, 05:34 AM   #15
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I'd be annoyed but I'm a WIS while the women I know are not and probably wouldn't notice and would mark it up in no time at all, so a watch for them I wouldn't sweat.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2019, 05:36 AM   #16
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Free stuff. Ok I said it. Martin don’t get all angry me again k?
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2019, 05:38 AM   #17
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Naultilus View Post
If the name is true , do you reseal or just eat
I was just kidding. I don’t have a food sealer. Saw it on TV. I would have bought it but then I only had enough money for a shake weight.

OP. Lovely watch. My wife use to have the same one... she loved it. As long as they didn’t polish the bezel I’d just keep it
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2019, 06:05 AM   #18
Mr Naultilus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
I was just kidding. I don’t have a food sealer. Saw it on TV. I would have bought it but then I only had enough money for a shake weight.

OP. Lovely watch. My wife use to have the same one... she loved it. As long as they didn’t polish the bezel I’d just keep it

Old 12 October 2019, 06:34 AM   #19
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
First of all:
Leave it as it is. It'd get scratched.

If it was to flip, I'd walk away from the deal and tell them to give me a full refund. There's no way a watch that's been unsealed from first seal to second seal comes out with scratches and smudges on it. Did the AD cut the carton box in front of you? Never heard of such a scenario and I've seen a few watches getting "unsealed".
WatchLurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2019, 06:47 AM   #20
mixi613
"TRF" Member

yup, hope the wife likes it. Her birthday coming up. I had already ordered this watch for her and guess what she asked me for her bday?????? An Apple Watch. Woe is to me
Old 12 October 2019, 07:47 AM   #21
Michael T
2024 Pledge Member

You did the right thing. Given the seller power the AD’s have right now, minimizing it should work to your advantage in the long run, especially in light of you mentioning it will get scratched up anyway. Correct choice in my mind .
Michael T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2019, 08:58 AM   #22
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Congrats to your wife!
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote