The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 January 2020, 05:14 AM   #271
clb521
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveo5 View Post
In the past, the service booklet stated, if the watch needed to be wound the number of turns should be fifty. 5 - 10 times and then shake it? Of course it won’t run.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
You obviously did not read the entire story. The watch when it was broken already had power reserve on the main spring and was stopping at random. The watch had a bent balance staf which means it doesnt matter how much you wind it, it wasnt going to run.

I have taken watches that are completely dead and wound them with 10-20 turns, give it a gentle shake and put it on my wrist to let the movement of my wrist wind it the rest of the day. It does not hurt the watch AT ALL!!! All this is doing is giving it less power reserve then a full wind but if your wearing the watch it will wind while your wearing it.
clb521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2020, 05:20 AM   #272
clb521
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetherolex View Post
Clearly what they are trying to curb. And why wouldn’t they.

That’s the idea...

I can’t think of a single reason for Rolex to encourage or enable the above. It puts them in a compromised position to lose control of the standards of their distribution channels and selection of their dealers, yet still have to be responsible for anything and everything any hole in the wall gm dealer does, when they would never have any associations with said gm dealer under any circumstances. It’s only liability.

I am not happy about what the OP is dealing with, but perhaps the OP will buy more discriminately on the next go round. There is no reason to be surprised.
I have bought most of my watches thru TS here on forum. This was the first time I ever needed a service on a brand new watch. I got lucky that the TS here took care of me. I don't know if I would have had the same experience thru other TS but I am sure I would have been able to come up with some sort of an agreement.

The TS that took care of me, Amir has definitely earned more business from me in the future.
Old 6 January 2020, 05:31 AM   #273
clb521
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001jesper View Post
What a thread and congrats to OP for getting the watch fixed.

With that said, then i am slightly surprised that you refused the input from the members on the widing, and stuck to an incorrect perception of how the watch works. Neverheless, your money, your watch!

Enjoy it!
I know how my watch works. I don't think you have read the entire story either. The watch had a bent balance staff which meant no matter how much I wound it, it would not have made a difference.

I have 6 rolexes and have tested my theory. on my BLNR I have wound it 5-10 times and sat it down and each turn gave the watch about 1 hour of power reserve. People have argued the timing was probably terrible and I dont doubt that but eveyone keeps arguing that a watch has to be wound completely for it to run correctly which I dont think so especially if your about to wear it and it will continue to wind as you move around.

Also, since it was a bent balance staff, I am pretty sure RSC would not have fixed it under warranty so I would probably had to have paid for the work if I sent it to them. It would also have taken at least a month to get it done. With the TS, it had the watch back in 1 week fixed.
Old 6 January 2020, 07:21 AM   #274
Geckobros
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Yes. Buy a Rolex from someone like DavidSW and your Rolex WILL have a valid factory warranty. All Rolex watches are sold from a AD before David gets them. The warranty is activated the minute the watch was sold at the AD before David gets them or buys them from the original owner. The warranty card will have the AD’s info on them. The actual name on the warranty card means nothing and doesn’t have to be your name. As long as there is ANY name on the card, with the AD’s info, it is valid.
It’s always been this way from all our trusted sellers. If you modify the warranty card, then it is void. The Rolex warranty policy is not complicated.

Let’s recap this:
1. Any name on warranty card. (written in pen)
2. Authorized Dealer info on warranty card with date of purchase. (usually the AD info is stamped. The date is written in pen)
3. You have a valid Rolex warranty.

The OP failed #1 on the requirements. He should have filled in his name on the card as only the watch is recorded in the warranty when registered and NOT the name on the card.

When buying a Rolex from a AD or Trusted seller, make sure the warranty card is filled out correctly before purchasing. AD’s can make mistakes when filling out warranty cards.

There is nothing scary about buying through a trusted seller at all. It’s no different than buying a 2019 Porsche GT3 from a exotic car broker that purchased it from the dealer. The Porsche warranty follows when the car was purchased new from the dealer.
I have seen warranty cards filled out by AD's where nothing is in pen. Retailer, purchaser and date were all typed. I have seen a combination on other cards where everything was typed out except the purchasers name and date which were in pen. -- Just a FYI.
Geckobros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 09:08 AM   #275
Mr DateJust
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Do the warranty cards not have a magnetic strip on them that the AD swipes to activate the warranty at purchase? Can’t be bothered going digging my box out to check but something stuck in my mind that’s what happens now. Might be wrong though.
Mr DateJust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 09:53 AM   #276
danyvw
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub16610, DJ126331
My last purchase was December 31st (TT DJ41) the AD filled out the card and nothing is written with pen, everything was typed and yes, the card has a magnetic strip.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk
danyvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 10:03 AM   #277
Pantheon
Banned

Watch: VC and AP
My AD always completely fill out the warranty cards and once when I was buying for my brother in law the SA asked me what name I want on the card. I told her to put my name because I was most likely going to take it to RSC for service if an issue comes up.

Hopefully they are cracking down this will somewhat deter the grey market as the buyer is at a bigger risk with a voided warranty as Rolex does state that warranty is not transferable. The greys would have to either offer compensation if there are problems or they'll end up with angry customers.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
Pantheon is offline   Reply With Quote