The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 10 December 2019, 09:45 AM   #1
miamiclay
2024 Pledge Member

Day-Date ‘pinball’ diamond setting?

Any information on the below 18238 dial? I’m at least a bit familiar with other DD diamond dials - small and larger square-set, and the wider octagonal (clipped-corners square) ones, but not these round nipple-like settings.

Sotheby’s describes the below dial as “onyx ‘pinball’ diamond-set,” and another similar one (from a reputable seller) describes the stones as “bevel-set” and claims to have Rolex papers describing it as “onyx serti,” while yet a third one is described only as “black.” (A similar one on a lapis lazuli dial is acknowledged as custom.)

I’ve seen this same setting on (presumably special-order) pyramid-cut stone dial DDs offered for big money, so I assume this setting is indeed legit for DDs - ? Was it offered only on stone dials? For flat-surface/production stone dials, was it offered only on onyx, or also on lapis, tiger eye, malachite or others? (Also, is there any term for these settings other than “pinball”? A search here for pinball found no relevant posts.).

While anything is possible, it seems improbable that Rolex would offer the same settings both on onyx and on visually near-identical black-painted dials (all three mentioned above have a printed chapter ring).

Thanks for any information ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 92FF1C64-E47E-441B-9DD7-3D03702EFABC.jpeg (260.4 KB, 211 views)
miamiclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2019, 12:09 PM   #2
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Day-Date ‘pinball’ diamond setting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiclay View Post

Sotheby’s describes the below dial as “onyx ‘pinball’ diamond-set,” and another similar one (from a reputable seller) describes the stones as “bevel-set” and claims to have Rolex papers describing it as “onyx serti,” while yet a third one is described only as “black.” (A similar one on a lapis lazuli dial is acknowledged as custom.)

That one is called bezel set - and could be a custom add-on - those nimrods at Sotheby’s love to lure the unsuspecting. Remember an original factory diamond onyx dial can always be customized.

Bezel set is a common setting in Subs with Serti dials.

In GB they call it rub-over set diamond hour markers.

https://www.watchcentre.com/product/...bp-18238/11623

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2019, 09:52 PM   #3
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Any information on the below 18238 dial? I’m at least a bit familiar with other DD diamond dials - small and larger square-set, and the wider octagonal (clipped-corners square) ones, but not these round nipple-like settings.

I’ve seen this same setting on (presumably special-order) pyramid-cut stone dial DDs offered for big money, so I assume this setting is indeed legit for DDs - ? Was it offered only on stone dials? For flat-surface/production stone dials, was it offered only on onyx, or also on lapis, tiger eye, malachite or to answer others? (Also, is there any term for these settings other than “pinball”? A search here for pinball found no relevant posts.).

While anything is possible, it seems improbable that Rolex would offer the same settings both on onyx and on visually near-identical black-painted dials (all three mentioned above have a printed chapter ring).

Thanks for any information ...
to answer your first question it was not only available stone dials, here's some info,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3273 (002).JPG (97.1 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3858.JPG (176.3 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3859.JPG (153.6 KB, 153 views)
Old 11 December 2019, 01:01 PM   #4
miamiclay
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks, gentlemen/scholars!
Paul, it had not even occurred to me that onyx/serti papers could have originally been different settings, so thanks for that.
David, I’m impossibly envious of your DD “reference library.” If you ever decide to share them, I’d happily pay for the scanning and hosting ...
miamiclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2019, 01:27 PM   #5
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks, gentlemen/scholars!
Paul, it had not even occurred to me that onyx/serti papers could have originally been different settings, so thanks for that.
David, I’m impossibly envious of your DD “reference library.” If you ever decide to share them, I’d happily pay for the scanning and hosting ...

One day I get it together and post as you can see it’s called a bezel set diamond dial

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk