The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 11 December 2019, 08:59 AM   #1
nigelUK
"TRF" Member

Early days looking for 1803 ..any pointers ?

I'm finding myself looking more and more at an 1803 in yellow gold, probably with the leather strap as bracelet is out of my price range (and probably too much bling for me)

There's obviously lots on web to research when looking for a vintage sub due to popularity, but not a 'go to' site for Day dates, that I know of ..

Anyone know what to look out for generally? Any advice would be appreciated.

I assume the Rolex leather and buckle was a genuine option ? ... how to identify if the buckle is genuine or aftermarket ? ... again any help appreciated

I will do another forum search now and probably find exactly what i'm looking for
Old 11 December 2019, 12:51 PM   #2
miamiclay
2024 Pledge Member

If you want a YG 1803 with baton markers and a white or champagne dial, there are lots to choose from, so you can be somewhat picky. As to outer condition, the first place to show wear or polishing is often the bezel flutes - In mint condition, these are almost sharp enough to cut you, and they quickly get rounded. You’d like to see the original brushed finish on the tops of the lugs. There are endless dial variations, from the minute tracks and Swiss/T<25/sigma markings to the materials, colors, markers, even the Day-Date hyphen, but generally you want the lume plots, if present originally, to be intact, original and consistent. Original date wheel will have open 6 and 9. Yes, Rolex YG buckles were originally offered with the straps, you’ll find photos here of the hallmarks.

This is a nice example for comparison. You might also want to read through 1803 posts by knowledgeable people like crowncollection, springer, Richard Carver, HogwldFLTR, offrdmania and others.
miamiclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2019, 05:05 PM   #3
nigelUK
"TRF" Member

Thank you so much that’s exactly the guidance I was hoping for ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11 December 2019, 05:07 PM   #4
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

I had one briefly, returned as dial was aftermarket. I used HQMilton website as a reference point because you can search the model and compare to hundreds. It was here I determined the fonts were wrong (although close!) The day didn’t appear correctly in the window and this made me suspicious initially. My watchmaker confirmed it. Dials and hands are easy to come by although black is slightly harder to find and looks fantastic. Don’t be hung up on strap and buckle. I phoned RSC London and for around £200 you can buy a leather strap and plated buckle. I was advised against a solid gold buckle which is hundreds of pounds and of course a snake strap is a little more than leather. I have a correct leather and plated buckle from another watch and I am happy to share the image as many of these buckles are aftermarket.
Old 11 December 2019, 09:46 PM   #5
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Early days looking for 1803 ..any pointers ?

These are maybe the best deal in vintage! I purchased my 1803 about a year ago and put it on a black horween shell cordovan strap. It is my “dress watch” and I really enjoy it. Every time I wear it, I am surprised at how little I paid. While people are begging to move up waiting lists for steel watches, and paying double retail price in the secondary market, these gems are a real bargain!

Old 12 December 2019, 01:08 AM   #6
nigelUK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbeer7 View Post
I had one briefly, returned as dial was aftermarket. I used HQMilton website as a reference point because you can search the model and compare to hundreds. It was here I determined the fonts were wrong (although close!) The day didn’t appear correctly in the window and this made me suspicious initially. My watchmaker confirmed it. Dials and hands are easy to come by although black is slightly harder to find and looks fantastic. Don’t be hung up on strap and buckle. I phoned RSC London and for around £200 you can buy a leather strap and plated buckle. I was advised against a solid gold buckle which is hundreds of pounds and of course a snake strap is a little more than leather. I have a correct leather and plated buckle from another watch and I am happy to share the image as many of these buckles are aftermarket.

That’s great info on the strap & buckle. I’d like to see that image when you get a minute ... thanks for the input

Old 12 December 2019, 01:12 AM   #7
nigelUK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublovin View Post
These are maybe the best deal in vintage!

That’s exactly what I’ve been looking at !

Old 12 December 2019, 01:27 AM   #8
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbeer7 View Post
I had one briefly, returned as dial was aftermarket. I used HQMilton website as a reference point
Wonder what will happen to HQ Milton's cred now that Jacek has left...
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2019, 06:51 AM   #9
pkrussel
"TRF" Member

That's a Beautiful classic Rolex! I've been looking for a nice 1803 or 18038!
pkrussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2019, 09:12 AM   #10
Racer X
"TRF" Member

My advice is get one with the "president" bracelet. It's a beautiful in it's own right, and adds a lot to the value of the watch. You might warm to it later too. Always best to have options to keep it fresh.
Racer X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2019, 12:05 PM   #11
DeepDials
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer X View Post
My advice is get one with the "president" bracelet. It's a beautiful in it's own right, and adds a lot to the value of the watch. You might warm to it later too. Always best to have options to keep it fresh.

I would agree with this statement. While it is an added expense, I think it’s a shame to not have the bracelet. In the instance of a day-date, I’d argue even if you never plan to wear it on it, you should invest in having it, you’d be surprised how you may think it doesn’t align with your taste but once it’s on wrist, it’ll change your mind.

DeepDials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2019, 12:38 AM   #12
Toronto Soup King
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016.
Aside from anything else, finding loose bracelets for your head-only watch is difficult. I bought my champagne YG 1013 principally for its Jubilee; finding a good YG Jubilee on its own is pricey and dicey. There's a member here looking for a WG President right now, I think. I have a RG 1012 I doubt I will ever find the bracelet for, and it's a pity. Because PM watches on bracelets have a style and heft all their own, it's a different feel to the gold+leather option we all also like.

The only PM watches I'd consider buying off-bracelet are ones for which I already have an appropriate bracelet. Like that 1675/8, I'd buy that head-only, and put my Jubilee on. But we all need a grail and I'm happy to leave that one on the wishlist given the rest of the collection.
Toronto Soup King is offline   Reply With Quote