The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 July 2018, 04:56 AM   #61
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
Sort of true. It’s not first come first served at Wempe but it is correct there is no wait list. It’s an AD where relationships matter for sure but you need to be an established client first, however they don’t require you to spend X amount to get a watch and actually being a watch enthusiast goes a long way there if they know you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's very refreshing to hear. Such ADs are nowadays in the minority.
Old 5 July 2018, 05:09 AM   #62
05carbondrz
Banned

Quote:
Sort of true. It’s not first come first served at Wempe but it is correct there is no wait list. It’s an AD where relationships matter for sure but you need to be an established client first, however they don’t require you to spend X amount to get a watch and actually being a watch enthusiast goes a long way there if they know you
They have great stock but they are discrete about it and don’t flash it to non established clients. They have Daytona’s, 5711’s in stock on a few occasions as they have pulled both out to offer them to me before

Being Rich has its perks.
05carbondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2018, 06:01 AM   #63
A.I.
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LV
My AD knows I'm a WIS which goes a long way in our relationship. Essentially they prefer to sell to enthusiasts - so they say - and I'm very happy to believe them.

A.I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2018, 09:02 AM   #64
np2016
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek, AP,
I fully agree 100% My strategy with a local AD I had no prior buying experience with at all was to go in person and talk about my love of watches and why I would like to expand my current collection. I truly believe most ethical AD's will reward passionate local customers or potential local customers and genuinely prefer selling to enthusiasts. The key is to always go in person and explain why you would be a good customer and why you want a particular brand or model. It's may take many months and multiple visits but it will happen. I think even with the most sought after models that have multi year waiting lists the Ad systematically chooses who they feel has the biggest potential for future business and rewards them.
np2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2018, 10:43 PM   #65
Bearwithme
"TRF" Member

Hi all.

North West London here, similar story to many others5159G-001, no previous purchase history, relatively young, good income but certainly not wealthy or a WIS in the sense of being able/likely to make multiple purchases each year. Would be a loyal customer and certainly not a one and done type of guy, (certainly not Mrs to keep happy - you know the story, one for me one for her ;) tried the most local AD (goldsmiths) and a fair few in London. Finally had a decent enough conversation in Covent Garden yesterday and will try building a relationship from that.

Perhaps it’s just a combination of things age, no purchase history, having no watch (yes i’m watchless, may sound crazy to some here but i’ve always been very much of the mindset that I want what I want and don’t like to waste time/money on anything else and I’m relatively sensible so buying a house came first)

Came across this thread and thought I’d add my own experience. Can agree that WOS on regent street is a difficult place to build any sort of relationship as were most of the chains around bind street. Everyone around Burlington Arcade was great but then again a new BLNR is 10k from resellers, I’m sure they have far less trash to deal with that AD’s right now, certainly they don’t have to play any games with every unknown customer

The chat I had yesterday in Covent Garden was good, on the one had I liked the gent, enquiries about a piece they didn’t have in store (TT skydweller) and was told to leave me details to see if it could be brought in. On the other hand I was pretty much told buy something and we can talk about SS waitlists “skydweller first” - even so the honesty and tone/manner counts for a lot and I can only say that it’s the one time I’ve felt like I was dealing with a human since I started on this journey :)

Would appreciate if anyone has any recomendations just outside of London.
Bearwithme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2018, 05:49 PM   #66
Soultime
"TRF" Member

I am outside London (NW England) and went into a (new to me) local AD last week and got my name 2nd on the list for a black SkyDweller.
No other purchases required etc.
This was good as I dont want to play games. Just a genuine purchase of a watch, and didnt have high hopes.

I was initially told 'sorry...cant do' but once we sat down and chatted the tone of the conversation changed. They obviously vet people for potential flippers. The fact me and the mrs both had a Rolex on already probably helped.

They did say they get about 50-70 calls and emails a day for sought after Rolex and PP watches, which are automatically rejected.
Going in person is the only way if you want to get on any list.

Skydweller eta is 12 months. £1k deposit.
Soultime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2018, 06:16 PM   #67
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
I think small independent AD’s outside London will be far more likely to build a relationship than the big chain AD’s. I’d look for some near to you and try and establish one. It won’t be easy but others seem to have done it.
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2018, 06:42 PM   #68
3sheets86
"TRF" Member

The independents are much nicer to deal with on the whole but the downside is that they don’t get the allocation of the big boys.
3sheets86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2018, 09:23 PM   #69
AK797
Banned

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultime View Post
I am outside London (NW England) and went into a (new to me) local AD last week and got my name 2nd on the list for a black SkyDweller.
No other purchases required etc.
This was good as I dont want to play games. Just a genuine purchase of a watch, and didnt have high hopes.

I was initially told 'sorry...cant do' but once we sat down and chatted the tone of the conversation changed. They obviously vet people for potential flippers. The fact me and the mrs both had a Rolex on already probably helped.

They did say they get about 50-70 calls and emails a day for sought after Rolex and PP watches, which are automatically rejected.
Going in person is the only way if you want to get on any list.

Skydweller eta is 12 months. £1k deposit.
I don't think 50-70 calls is realistic but even if half of that, it reflects what huge demand is still chasing after these watches. Grey prices have a very firm buttress still and probably no change until next year from Rolex.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2018, 09:24 PM   #70
Shakini
"TRF" Member

Watch: TBB (red), YMR
Quote:
They have great stock but they are discrete about it and don’t flash it to non established clients. They have Daytona’s, 5711’s in stock on a few occasions as they have pulled both out to offer them to me before

Interesting to hear this Tyler. Do you think it would work with a cheaper model too?

I have always thought that if I repeatedly visited a boutique like Wempe without buying anything, I would be treated like a timewaster and ignored. I guess I was wrong?

So when visiting the ADs, do you look at other pieces and try them on or do you just pop in for a chat?
Shakini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2018, 09:28 PM   #71
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakini View Post
Interesting to hear this Tyler. Do you think it would work with a cheaper model too?

I have always thought that if I repeatedly visited a boutique like Wempe without buying anything, I would be treated like a timewaster and ignored. I guess I was wrong?

So when visiting the ADs, do you look at other pieces and try them on or do you just pop in for a chat?
i go in all the time. I almost always try on stuff. Dont buy stuff you dont want, but if you want other watches that are easier to get you may need to prioritize those first. Once you come back then they take care of you.

I waited a long time for my 5164, but after i happened to pick up another piece or two i also wanted that was on display that came pretty quickly and from that point on i dont find it that hard to get watches. Im sure it varies but them knowing you genuinely are into watches helps a lot. The big chains really dont care so its a big, big difference and you dont have to be some giant spending client.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2018, 09:45 PM   #72
Shakini
"TRF" Member

Watch: TBB (red), YMR
Quote:
i go in all the time. I almost always try on stuff. Dont buy stuff you dont want, but if you want other watches that are easier to get you may need to prioritize those first. Once you come back then they take care of you.

I waited a long time for my 5164, but after i happened to pick up another piece or two i also wanted that was on display that came pretty quickly and from that point on i dont find it that hard to get watches. Im sure it varies but them knowing you genuinely are into watches helps a lot. The big chains really dont care so its a big, big difference and you dont have to be some giant spending client.
Doesn't sound like it would work for someone who does not have the means to 'pick up another piece or two' - and that's a big shame.

Congratulations on your collection though - it's awesome.
Shakini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2018, 10:02 PM   #73
Horationelson
"TRF" Member

Has anyone build up a relationship with Rolex Harrods?

I have bought there previously (and made return visits), but they have so many different staff on shifts that it's difficult to build a relationship.

The good thing about Harrods is that I get 5% of spend back as store credit, which is the closest you can get to a discount on sports SS models.
Horationelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2018, 10:04 PM   #74
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horationelson View Post
Has anyone build up a relationship with Rolex Harrods?

I have bought there previously (and made return visits), but they have so many different staff on shifts that it's difficult to build a relationship.

The good thing about Harrods is that I get 5% of spend back as store credit, which is the closest you can get to a discount on sports SS models.
huuugeee spenders in there. Unless you have a harrods black card (at the bare minimum) its not worth it. You are competing with people who not only buy watches but a ton of other luxury items.

It takes effort to spend hundreds of thousands per year on watches even if you have the means, but its much easier to get that kind of spend at Harrods counting the entire store and a lot of people are spending that kind of cash in there and then ask for a daytona.

If i want to see people wearing six figure watches and people pulling up in supercars i go to Harrods.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 8 August 2018, 10:06 PM   #75
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakini View Post
Doesn't sound like it would work for someone who does not have the means to 'pick up another piece or two' - and that's a big shame.

Congratulations on your collection though - it's awesome.
its not necessarily the case. However you present yourself as a genuine enthusiast helps even if you are not buying anything. Daytonas and the like are probably out of the question though as they do have established customers who also want them.

Tags
london , united kingdom