The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 December 2018, 12:29 AM   #1
zoenoadad
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona C, JC DSSD
Frustrating day in London

I finally decided to take the plunge on a SeaDweller as a nice paring with my black DaytonaC. Stopped into an AD here in London yesterday just on a whim, with no expectation whatsoever that they would have one available. Left my name and email, and was told they'd be in touch. Fine. A few hours later I get a message that if I can commit the next day, the watch was mine. Needless to say I immediately responded "YES!" and even came to work today without my Daytona on my wrist, ready for the SD43 to take its new place. When I spoke to the salesman, I was told that actually, the SeaDweller is reserved for "special" customers who have spent more than 15,000 quid in the store this year. So I could spend the money for the privilege of then spending more on the SeaDweller, or I could wait and hope (though in fairness, he did offer me a Sub).

I know this happens all over these days, but to be told that I'd have the watch today only to have the rug pulled out from under me just feels...not right. No idea if this was a ploy to get me to buy a different watch the whole time or just an honest mistake, but either way leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Very seriously considering the TS route as prices have come down a bit on the SD though I do enjoy buying direct from an AD if possible. Everyone at work keeps asking me why I'm in a bad mood and when I try to explain, they are rather perplexed at the whole thing! Such is life in 2018 WIS world I guess...
Old 7 December 2018, 12:38 AM   #2
Trailboss516
"TRF" Member

Watch: It's complicated
where is the barfing emoji when you need it...
Trailboss516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2018, 12:40 AM   #3
Psijason
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seamster 300 Green
Awful business practice. So sorry!!
Psijason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2018, 12:43 AM   #4
jeffnnj
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoenoadad View Post
I finally decided to take the plunge on a SeaDweller as a nice paring with my black DaytonaC. Stopped into an AD here in London yesterday just on a whim, with no expectation whatsoever that they would have one available. Left my name and email, and was told they'd be in touch. Fine. A few hours later I get a message that if I can commit the next day, the watch was mine. Needless to say I immediately responded "YES!" and even came to work today without my Daytona on my wrist, ready for the SD43 to take its new place. When I spoke to the salesman, I was told that actually, the SeaDweller is reserved for "special" customers who have spent more than 15,000 quid in the store this year. So I could spend the money for the privilege of then spending more on the SeaDweller, or I could wait and hope (though in fairness, he did offer me a Sub).

I know this happens all over these days, but to be told that I'd have the watch today only to have the rug pulled out from under me just feels...not right. No idea if this was a ploy to get me to buy a different watch the whole time or just an honest mistake, but either way leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Very seriously considering the TS route as prices have come down a bit on the SD though I do enjoy buying direct from an AD if possible. Everyone at work keeps asking me why I'm in a bad mood and when I try to explain, they are rather perplexed at the whole thing! Such is life in 2018 WIS world I guess...

I would tell him that you need to pick up an anniversary gift for your wife and are looking for something square around 8 karats. Ask him to check his inventory, make a deal over the phone and block his number. I hate assholes like that. Pardon my French but really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jeffnnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2018, 12:43 AM   #5
edingotham
"TRF" Member

that's a lame AD

why don't you just get it from the AD that you got your Daytona C (black) - (assuming you got it at AD)
edingotham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2018, 12:43 AM   #6
jsausley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270/116710BLNR
That's a joke. I don't mind if ADs hold inventory back for VIPs, I realize that's necessary in today's economy with the supply the way it is, but for an AD to tell you that it's in stock but only to tell you that you have to spend more.. that's an insult, to me.
Old 7 December 2018, 12:48 AM   #7
zoenoadad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edingotham View Post
that's a lame AD

why don't you just get it from the AD that you got your Daytona C (black) - (assuming you got it at AD)
I actually hadn't thought of that, since I got the Daytona at an AD in the Middle East but have since moved to London. But might be worth a shot (and a quick Christmas break trip)! Thanks for the advice, sending a WhatsApp now (oh wait, 02 is down)...
Old 7 December 2018, 12:50 AM   #8
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

Quote:

That's ridiculous get it from one of our trusted sellers and you'll be far better off than being extorted by the AD.
Brian Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2018, 12:54 AM   #9
Jonnyj
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster 2
Wow that not right at all ! So sorry!
Jonnyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2018, 12:55 AM   #10
liu_watch
"TRF" Member

If they made a verbal offer, though not binding, they should honor it. I’ll be p/$$ed too!

liu_watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2018, 01:03 AM   #11
DP63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18078
Atrocious .... thats the only word I can put to that sales technique.
Old 7 December 2018, 01:03 AM   #12
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

This is the epitome of everything that is wrong with this particular market these days. You were intentionally misled; end of story. If an AD wants to state their policy up front to you regarding who they offer stainless steel Rolex watches to, that's their business; even if I think it is a stupid one. To call you back and tell you they have one waiting only to tell you that you need to spend 15k in the store to have the "privilege" to buy it (waiting intentionally for you to arrive in the store), is absurd. Good on you for walking out.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2018, 01:20 AM   #13
Number3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060LB
That would make me mad. Who was the AD?
Number3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2018, 01:26 AM   #14
Andygmt2
"TRF" Member

Terrible and ridiculous !!

Which AD is this in London so we can avoid !
Andygmt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2018, 01:28 AM   #15
harvey
"TRF" Member

Jason, that's rather an underhand practice. I would look elsewhere. Good luck...
harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2018, 02:07 AM   #16
zoenoadad
"TRF" Member

Watches of Switzerland, Oxford Street branch. Again, not sure if this was intentional or if the guy just made a mistake (I tend to assume the best in people, which may not be wise in this business). And I don't even begrudge the ADs who hold the hot pieces for long-time customers. It's more the raising of expectations, only to be told "sorry, no sale" 12 hours later that stings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andygmt2 View Post
Terrible and ridiculous !!

Which AD is this in London so we can avoid !
Old 7 December 2018, 02:17 AM   #17
Raku
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer
Unfortunately it's a seller's (AD) market at the moment and they can get away with anything.
It's so sad to see...
Raku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2018, 02:35 AM   #18
ALF61
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Watches of Switzerland, Oxford Street branch. Again, not sure if this was intentional or if the guy just made a mistake (I tend to assume the best in people, which may not be wise in this business). And I don't even begrudge the ADs who hold the hot pieces for long-time customers. It's more the raising of expectations, only to be told "sorry, no sale" 12 hours later that stings.
No, he did not make a mistake. He admitedly told you about that privilege. Some ADs are taking advantage of the situation to bundle Rolex SS models or binding them to other purchases. They are using Rolex watches and Rolex end consumers are getting righfully pissed off about it. I would file a complaint with Rolex and hopefully they will be reprimended or their dealership withdrawn.
ALF61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2018, 02:52 AM   #19
dylan0024
"TRF" Member

Watch: Deepsea and Batman
that is messed up. i would have told the AD to f themselves and take my business elsewhere.
dylan0024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2018, 02:57 AM   #20
avidflyer
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Seems to be a lot of complaints about the greys (in general), lately I think they should look into the AD's
avidflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2018, 03:04 AM   #21
ltmgeller

Watch: Rolex
Terrible business practice on their part. I'd avoid them in the future.
Old 7 December 2018, 03:04 AM   #22
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

This is what AD’s do. This is also why you don’t owe them anything buy not going grey market. At least the grey market sellers are honest and you know exactly what you get going in.
Mystro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2018, 03:09 AM   #23
klenboy

That is unfortunate that they have to resort to such methods. Whether if they are honest telling you that such high demand pieces are reserved for their VIP's, or if they resort to the "pull under the rug" tactic the end result would be the same to them: you will walk out without a watch disappointed.

Of course the honest route would not leave such a bitter taste in your mouth and there's a chance that you may actually go back. Not all salesmen/ladies are created equal.

For such disappointments I just think about it this way: I'm given more time to save more money and look elsewhere. It's not a bad thing to keep your money while waiting.
klenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2018, 03:13 AM   #24
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
I would have gone straight to watch finder and picked one up for 11 grand and paraded it in front of him and told home to stick his 15 grand where the sun doesn’t shine.

Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2018, 03:15 AM   #25
zoenoadad
"TRF" Member

Ha! I'm in the process of buying one from a TRF member as we speak. And you can bet your bum I'll be going back in there to show them once it's on my wrist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec14 View Post
I would have gone straight to watch finder and picked one up for 11 grand and paraded it in front of him and told home to stick his 15 grand where the sun doesn’t shine.

Old 7 December 2018, 03:20 AM   #26
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
Quote:
Ha! I'm in the process of buying one from a TRF member as we speak. And you can bet your bum I'll be going back in there to show them once it's on my wrist.

Good man!

Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2018, 03:22 AM   #27
Number3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Love it, good for you mate.

P.S. make sure you post some pics when you get - I am seriously considering the same as I want something a little bigger than my Subs. Cheers.
Old 7 December 2018, 03:23 AM   #28
timedate
-

in the old days prior to cctv he may have been given a slap,

i dont like cocky, smarmy, lying types.
timedate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2018, 03:24 AM   #29
Number3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timedate View Post
in the old days prior to cctv he may have been given a slap,

i dont like cocky, smarmy, lying types.
Old 7 December 2018, 03:29 AM   #30
marcusp23
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, CHNR an
Quote:
Originally Posted by liu_watch View Post
If they made a verbal offer, though not binding, they should honor it. I’ll be p/$$ed too!

In the US, with certain exceptions, verbal offers are binding and can be accepted - just as binding as written offers (though harder to prove obviously)
marcusp23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ad experience , london