The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 1 October 2020, 06:59 AM   #1
SProda
"TRF" Member

ROLEX YELLOW GOLD DAY-DATE LAPIS LAZULI (36 mm; REF. 18038)

Hello everyone:
I am new to this forum and would appreciate your help on two questions I have.

1. The watch that I am contemplating buying has the lume hands and "Swiss Made" at 6 O'Clock. All of the internet pictures that I was able to find, however, have the solid gold hands and "T Swiss T" mark at 6 O'Clock. Does anyone know if this is a genuine Rolex watch or a custom made one?

2. The watch is in a good condition and has the full set. What would be a fair price to pay for one if genuine?

Thankful in advance for your help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Lapis Luzuli.jpeg (161.4 KB, 459 views)
SProda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2020, 01:54 PM   #2
miamiclay
2024 Pledge Member

It’s unlikely it’s fake overall - The case, bezel and bracelet look right so far, from the little visible here. My WG Lapis DD is a T Swiss T dial, it has lumed hands.

Your biggest question is whether the dial is factory or aftermarket - I don’t see any issues, but that’s tough to judge from photos, certainly from this one.
miamiclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2020, 01:59 PM   #3
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Need better pics. No glaring issues in this one, though.
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2020, 02:04 PM   #4
HarryLime
"TRF" Member

Dial is fake.
HarryLime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2020, 04:21 PM   #5
SProda
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for the input!
This is the best picture I have as it was provided by the seller, and I have not seen the watch in person.
Old 1 October 2020, 05:26 PM   #6
Verdi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Big Ben
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryLime View Post
Dial is fake.
Can you elaborate?
Old 2 October 2020, 02:19 AM   #7
HarryLime
"TRF" Member

Sure, the text on the bottom is the main tell.

Not only is it sloppy and fading (which typically does NOT happen on real Rolex stone dials) but this dial says either "T SWISS MADE T" or "SWISS MADE" in a weird font (hard to tell which), neither of which is correct, especially for an 18038. It should say SWISS or T SWISS T only. "Swiss Made" is reserved for later 18238s and 118208s. Also now that I'm typing this all out, I can't actually recall ever seeing a plain lapis (with no markers) dial with SWISS MADE on the bottom. Onyx, yes, but not plain lapis as far as I can remember. There's a "sold" one still listed on a Los Angeles dealers website, but I also think that one is fake.

Also there's some weirdness happening around the bottom left edge of the day window, but I can't tell what it is from this photo.
Old 2 October 2020, 02:23 AM   #8
KatGirl

Agree with Harry. The text that says “Swiss Made” jumped out at me, too.
Old 2 October 2020, 02:36 AM   #9
MavericktheAce
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15053
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
Need better pics. No glaring issues in this one, though.
Confused. You stated no glaring issues two posts prior. Now you're agreeing with harry that there was an issue after he pointed it out? Shouldn't you have posted the issue before telling the OP that you saw no glaring issues then having a change of heart two posts later after reading Harry's?
MavericktheAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2020, 08:03 AM   #10
SProda
"TRF" Member

Thank you for the explanation!
Old 2 October 2020, 08:20 AM   #11
KatGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavericktheAce View Post
Confused. You stated no glaring issues two posts prior. Now you're agreeing with harry that there was an issue after he pointed it out? Shouldn't you have posted the issue before telling the OP that you saw no glaring issues then having a change of heart two posts later after reading Harry's?
No mystery. When I first looked at the dial pic, I ThoUght the font looked funky, but don’t consider myself an expert, by any means, so didn’t mention it. After Harry voiced the same concern, I felt more free to state that opinion.
Old 2 October 2020, 08:59 AM   #12
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
No mystery. When I first looked at the dial pic, I ThoUght the font looked funky, but don’t consider myself an expert, by any means, so didn’t mention it. After Harry voiced the same concern, I felt more free to state that opinion.
This isn't the first time you've misjudged a watch recently. Maybe you should hold off on the opinions when people are looking for expert advice.
Old 2 October 2020, 09:07 AM   #13
KatGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
This isn't the first time you've misjudged a watch recently. Maybe you should hold off on the opinions when people are looking for expert advice.
Not sure what you are referring to, and I just stated, I am no expert. All I did was agree with Harry, because I had noticed the same thing during my original perusal. What’s your beef? Why the need to be rude?
Old 2 October 2020, 09:13 AM   #14
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Not sure what you are referring to, and I just stated, I am no expert. All I did was agree with Harry, because I had noticed the same thing during my original perusal. What’s your beef? Why the need to be rude?
Well for starters there's the issue referred to by a number of members in this thread, when you persisted in saying that an obviously fake watch you showed in a photo was real.
Old 2 October 2020, 09:30 AM   #15
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Just for clarification, what is wrong with the font compared to an original one? Everything you see on this dial or just the one T SWISS MADE below?
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2020, 09:31 AM   #16
KatGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Well for starters there's the issue referred to by a number of members in this thread, when you persisted in saying that an obviously fake watch you showed in a photo was real.
Well, that is certainly not true. Reread the thread. I never argued with anyone’s opinion, about my watch’s authenticity, and posted that it was not real, after receiving it, confirming others’ opinions. If you need to criticize me, at least base your criticism on fact. But why criticize anyone on here. This is upposed to be a forum for friendly exchange between watch enthusiasts.
Old 2 October 2020, 11:15 AM   #17
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Well, that is certainly not true. Reread the thread. I never argued with anyone’s opinion, about my watch’s authenticity, and posted that it was not real, after receiving it, confirming others’ opinions. If you need to criticize me, at least base your criticism on fact. But why criticize anyone on here. This is upposed to be a forum for friendly exchange between watch enthusiasts.
it was blatantly obvious from the first pic that that watch was fake but you spent multiple posts trying to imply that it might not be, despite everyone saying it was. problem is when judging fakes you should either be certain or not post at all. your first post here said it looks fine then you changed your opinion after someone else said it looks off... it's something that can cost people thousands of dollars
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2020, 04:59 PM   #18
Verdi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Big Ben
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryLime View Post
Sure, the text on the bottom is the main tell.

Not only is it sloppy and fading (which typically does NOT happen on real Rolex stone dials) but this dial says either "T SWISS MADE T" or "SWISS MADE" in a weird font (hard to tell which), neither of which is correct, especially for an 18038. It should say SWISS or T SWISS T only. "Swiss Made" is reserved for later 18238s and 118208s. Also now that I'm typing this all out, I can't actually recall ever seeing a plain lapis (with no markers) dial with SWISS MADE on the bottom. Onyx, yes, but not plain lapis as far as I can remember. There's a "sold" one still listed on a Los Angeles dealers website, but I also think that one is fake.

Also there's some weirdness happening around the bottom left edge of the day window, but I can't tell what it is from this photo.
Thanks for the detailed reply!
Old 2 October 2020, 06:54 PM   #19
V72
"TRF" Member

Watch: Both my V 72's
Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
it was blatantly obvious from the first pic that that watch was fake but you spent multiple posts trying to imply that it might not be, despite everyone saying it was. problem is when judging fakes you should either be certain or not post at all. your first post here said it looks fine then you changed your opinion after someone else said it looks off... it's something that can cost people thousands of dollars
Agree 100%
V72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2020, 08:19 PM   #20
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Watch: YMII,GMTII,DAYTONA
Dial is surely fake/aftermarket
Can you post photos of back of watch and deployant clasp?
Old 3 October 2020, 11:44 AM   #21
HarryLime
"TRF" Member

Found it. Looks like they're selling a FAKE onyx too. For the sake of google...

https://www.chrono24.com/rolex/rolex...id15769794.htm

Cali Jewelers

238 1/2 South Beverly Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90212
United States of America
Tel.: [+1] 310-275-2254
Mobile: [+1] 310-460-8112