The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > New Members

Old 16 November 2006, 06:14 PM   #1
samoth
"TRF" Member

New member -New Rolex (advices)

Hi everyone,
I'm new here and just learning about rolex watches. I live in Paris but I travel often to bogota colombia for personal reasons(girlfriend). Last time I was there I saw a Rolex Daytona 116520 in a trusty shop in bogota. Now I'm trying to check if the rolex is real or fake. I managed to get the Garantie certificate by email and has the code : Z........3 which from what I've read means 2006 fabrication.
I need all your advices so that I can check the authenticity of the watch. I'll be in bogota in 10 days and I need to be ready to check and buy it. Please help me, I spend a lot of time reading in the web but I know that you guys can advise me better. Thank you in advance
samoth
samoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2006, 06:19 PM   #2
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by samoth View Post
Hi everyone,
I'm new here and just learning about rolex watches. I live in Paris but I travel often to bogota colombia for personal reasons(girlfriend). Last time I was there I saw a Rolex Daytona 116520 in a trusty shop in bogota. Now I'm trying to check if the rolex is real or fake. I managed to get the Garantie certificate by email and has the code : Z........3 which from what I've read means 2006 fabrication.
I need all your advices so that I can check the authenticity of the watch. I'll be in bogota in 10 days and I need to be ready to check and buy it. Please help me, I spend a lot of time reading in the web but I know that you guys can advise me better. Thank you in advance
samoth
Hi Samoth,

Welcome to TRF. Yes, the Z-series is the very latest and currently running one.

By "trusty shop" do you mean an Authorised Dealer? If so, you have nothing to worry about. The watch will be authentic.

Cheers - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2006, 06:27 PM   #3
samoth
"TRF" Member

Thanks JJ
how can I check if it is an authorised dealer? They must have a sign or something right?
Cheers
samoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2006, 06:35 PM   #4
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by samoth View Post
Thanks JJ
how can I check if it is an authorised dealer? They must have a sign or something right?
Cheers
Well, honestly, I have no idea about dealers in Bogota, but, yes, they usually have a sign saying "Authorised Rolex Dealer". Also, his shop would be displaying a large array of Rolex models.

But I would check with some of the locals and your gf. She would probably know some local person who would know the place better than you do. Surely, someone there must know who the ADs are in Bogota.

Good luck - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2006, 06:57 PM   #5
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Welcome to TRF Samoth like JJ said if a AD then know problems,but if not ask to get it authenticated before you buy.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2006, 07:47 PM   #6
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Welcome to TRF samoth. Like the others have said, do some homework before you buy or you could end up loosing a bunch of money
Old 16 November 2006, 11:01 PM   #7
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Welcome to TRF Best of luck with the purchase
Old 16 November 2006, 11:42 PM   #8
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
Hello samoth and welcome to TRF. Good luck with the purchase.

Member #10
Uncle-AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2006, 03:29 PM   #9
ezmoney46

Watch: several
Hello From the "Redneck Rivieria" or "Hurricane Alley" or otherwise known as Pensacola, Fl USA. I'm new to this forum and it seems to be very informative.

Currently I'm without a Rolex and looking to buy one, but cannot make up my mind between the two-tone blue faced sub or a GMT. I previously had a blue sub that I purchased from a friend in need and sold it to a friend indeed. I'm partial to the blues but thought a change might be better this time. Any Thoughts?
ezmoney46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2006, 05:38 PM   #10
roadcarver
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600
Hi Ezymoney,

I'll try to provide comments based on the small knowledge that I've accumulated thus far.

Both are great watches, and both have different applications. A sub is a classic watch, and has a depth rating of 1000ft/300m. The GMT on the other hand is only rated for 100m.

You will also notice that the SS GMT has a smaller crown compared to the sub, so if you have big fingers, you may find it cumbersome to unscrew the crown.

The GMT from what I understand does not have a quickset date feature while the sub has.

Bracelets on these two are also different. Some have said that the GMT bracelet is more comfortable than the ones found on the sub.

Have you tried both watches on your wrist and see which appeals to you more? How one likes a watch is usually subjective, and the usual adage of "beauty is upon the eye of the beholder" usually comes along.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Vernon