The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX


Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8 June 2017, 03:04 AM   #1
OliveSales
"TRF" Member
 
OliveSales's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 370
Cryptocurrency, who has it?

Sitting pretty on 300-500%+ ROI last month. Anyone else jump on the party train or is it just me ?
OliveSales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2017, 03:09 AM   #2
beshannon
2020 Pledge Member
 
beshannon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Real Name: Brian
Location: Northern Virginia
Watch: Patek 5711
Posts: 14,400
How exactly will you realize this "gain"?
__________________

Omega Aqua Terra 150, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Patek 5711/1A-011, Rolex Cosmograph 116520, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, Tudor Heritage Black Bay Bronze, Glashutte Senator Exellence, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2017, 03:16 AM   #3
Vaxe
"TRF" Member
 
Vaxe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 2,108
That's my question too

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
How exactly will you realize this "gain"?
Vaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2017, 03:20 AM   #4
OliveSales
"TRF" Member
 
OliveSales's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 370
I take a look at my portfolio
OliveSales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2017, 03:21 AM   #5
ralpie
2020 HARRODS SGE Pledge Member
 
ralpie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Real Name: Ral P
Location: Northeast
Posts: 2,036
I am really interested in Ethereum, there are major companies interested in using the network; and while that's not specifically the currency portion, I think it just looks good for Ether's future.
ralpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2017, 03:24 AM   #6
OliveSales
"TRF" Member
 
OliveSales's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralpie View Post
I am really interested in Ethereum, there are major companies interested in using the network; and while that's not specifically the currency portion, I think it just looks good for Ether's future.
I bought into ETH at 75$,130$,150$,160$,180$,220$,250$

Currently have 40 coins. Plan on buying more before it hits 300
OliveSales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2017, 03:34 AM   #7
jschmidtdmd
2020 Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Real Name: John
Location: Denver
Posts: 2,278
I have a bunch of it all.....it's been crushing
__________________
Watches!
jschmidtdmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2017, 03:39 AM   #8
123Blueface
"TRF" Member
 
123Blueface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: USA
Watch: All
Posts: 4,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by OliveSales View Post
I take a look at my portfolio
His question was "realized".
While a portfolio may look larger, it is hardly a "realized" gain.
That will happen the day you sell.

I would like to learn more about this currency myself.
Still can't get my arms around it.
123Blueface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2017, 03:48 AM   #9
OliveSales
"TRF" Member
 
OliveSales's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Blueface View Post
While a portfolio may look larger, it is hardly a "realized" gain.
That will happen the day you sell.
It is currency, your portfolio reflects what the current market is and the price people are currently buying your particular currency at. Everything is updated live, so my portfolio does not look larger or smaller.

My "realized" gain is whatever I wanted it to be because I can sell my coins at anytime and get my cash instantly.
OliveSales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2017, 03:51 AM   #10
beshannon
2020 Pledge Member
 
beshannon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Real Name: Brian
Location: Northern Virginia
Watch: Patek 5711
Posts: 14,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by OliveSales View Post
I can sell my coins at anytime and get my cash instantly.
So you are willing to sell this "currency" for paper money?

Why?
__________________

Omega Aqua Terra 150, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Patek 5711/1A-011, Rolex Cosmograph 116520, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, Tudor Heritage Black Bay Bronze, Glashutte Senator Exellence, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2017, 03:56 AM   #11
123Blueface
"TRF" Member
 
123Blueface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: USA
Watch: All
Posts: 4,719
Please share more on this topic.
How does this invisible currency work?
What drives the value of your portfolio?
While I consider myself a savvy invester, have numerous accounts and portfolios, heck if I can honestly figure this thing out.
In part I think it's a mental block and fear of something new to me and unknown and difficult to accept given I have had success the traditional market method.

That said, willing to learn if folks are willing to share more on the subject.
__________________
Rolex 228235 DD40, 126710BLRO, 116710BLNR, 116613LB, 116500LN
Breitling Navitimer 01, Chronomat 44 GMT, SuperOcean Heritage II
Cartier Santos Large
123Blueface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2017, 04:02 AM   #12
OliveSales
"TRF" Member
 
OliveSales's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 370
Here is 1 example of a coin and how it works. I personally have not invested in siacoins but like what they are about. In the other forum community im in a lot of them invested in sia 2 months ago and are seeing some huge profit. We have 14-18 year olds investing 5000$ who have 50,000-60,000$ protfolios after 2 months. It's all research and understanding what the coins are about to make the correct investments. All coins have different functions.

http://sia.tech/
OliveSales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2017, 04:21 AM   #13
BLACKHORSE 6
"TRF" Member
 
BLACKHORSE 6's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Real Name: Dave
Location: USA
Watch: Rolex SS Daytona
Posts: 1,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by OliveSales View Post
Sitting pretty on 300-500%+ ROI last month. Anyone else jump on the party train or is it just me ?
If you got 300-500% value increase, sell it all and bring the profits home.
BLACKHORSE 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2017, 04:26 AM   #14
KDS777
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: YYC-GIG
Watch: 16618LB
Posts: 675
I understand what crypto currencies are, which is why I don't play with them.



Ever since Mt. Gox blew up leaving people holding the bag with millions of losses, I don't even bother to read about it anymore.
KDS777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2017, 05:39 AM   #15
Fredrik
"TRF" Member
 
Fredrik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sweden
Watch: 1680
Posts: 1,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by OliveSales View Post
My "realized" gain is whatever I wanted it to be because I can sell my coins at anytime and get my cash instantly.
Oh, now i am curious. For bitcoin it is quite hard to convert them into for instance dollars. The brokers have limits, it takes time to get the funds and they now and then just disappear with your money.

If this is a solved problem for ETH it is good. Can you sell them directly to whoever you bought them through or how does it work? How long do you have to wait for the funds? Is there any limits on how much you can sell per day/month etc?
Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2017, 06:52 AM   #16
ralpie
2020 HARRODS SGE Pledge Member
 
ralpie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Real Name: Ral P
Location: Northeast
Posts: 2,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik View Post
Can you sell them directly to whoever you bought them through or how does it work? How long do you have to wait for the funds? Is there any limits on how much you can sell per day/month etc?
You can buy and sell them through Coinbase. There are some limitations, but they are not bad at all once you verify your identity. If you prefer not to verify, that's a different story and Coinbase may not be the exchange for you. For the rest of us though, it it extremely easy to use and worth the spread they take on each transaction.
ralpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2017, 06:53 AM   #17
ralpie
2020 HARRODS SGE Pledge Member
 
ralpie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Real Name: Ral P
Location: Northeast
Posts: 2,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDS777 View Post
Ever since Mt. Gox blew up leaving people holding the bag with millions of losses, I don't even bother to read about it anymore.
That definitely hurt, but like many new technologies there are growing pains and risks.
ralpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2017, 07:07 AM   #18
OliveSales
"TRF" Member
 
OliveSales's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDS777 View Post
Ever since Mt. Gox blew up leaving people holding the bag with millions of losses, I don't even bother to read about it anymore.
I use Gemini Exchange for all my purchasing / holdings as they are a registered Trust company. I have no real worries that Gemini will be going anywhere.
OliveSales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2017, 08:17 AM   #19
123Blueface
"TRF" Member
 
123Blueface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: USA
Watch: All
Posts: 4,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by OliveSales View Post
I use Gemini Exchange for all my purchasing / holdings as they are a registered Trust company. I have no real worries that Gemini will be going anywhere.
Have you tried cashing in?
Spoke to my Merrill Lynch advisor and says they won't go near it even with a 10 foot pole.
Says they anticipate a collapse so cash out fast and as others have said it is really sketchy cashing out and converting to dollars.
Bitcoin as an example is down 30% from its high.
Was told to mention take the money and run.
__________________
Rolex 228235 DD40, 126710BLRO, 116710BLNR, 116613LB, 116500LN
Breitling Navitimer 01, Chronomat 44 GMT, SuperOcean Heritage II
Cartier Santos Large
123Blueface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2017, 08:41 AM   #20
OliveSales
"TRF" Member
 
OliveSales's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Blueface View Post
Have you tried cashing in?
Spoke to my Merrill Lynch advisor and says they won't go near it even with a 10 foot pole.
Says they anticipate a collapse so cash out fast and as others have said it is really sketchy cashing out and converting to dollars.
Bitcoin as an example is down 30% from its high.
Was told to mention take the money and run.
I cashed out 50% of my first investment. Since then I have put more money in. I have everything set to sell at -35% dip so it's kind of impossible for me to lose money unless the exchange I use straight up steals my money.

I'm glad bitcoin is down 30% that means all my investments are going up :)

What information does your Merril Lynch advisor have to back up that they anticipate a crash? Most of these currencies are yet to be fully developed and a few of them actually have some big conferences coming up in the next month with Microsoft/other big tech companies.
OliveSales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2017, 08:57 AM   #21
123Blueface
"TRF" Member
 
123Blueface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: USA
Watch: All
Posts: 4,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by OliveSales View Post
I cashed out 50% of my first investment. Since then I have put more money in. I have everything set to sell at -35% dip so it's kind of impossible for me to lose money unless the exchange I use straight up steals my money.

I'm glad bitcoin is down 30% that means all my investments are going up :)

What information does your Merril Lynch advisor have to back up that they anticipate a crash? Most of these currencies are yet to be fully developed and a few of them actually have some big conferences coming up in the next month with Microsoft/other big tech companies.
I'll see what he verbally has to say when we get time to talk more at length.
We communicated via a couple of texts.
__________________
Rolex 228235 DD40, 126710BLRO, 116710BLNR, 116613LB, 116500LN
Breitling Navitimer 01, Chronomat 44 GMT, SuperOcean Heritage II
Cartier Santos Large
123Blueface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2017, 10:47 AM   #22
THC
2020 HARRODS SGE Pledge Member
 
THC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Real Name: Tom
Location: Mandeville La
Watch: 228238
Posts: 9,040
I have one Bitcoin and two Ethereums and keep up with this daily

Today article; http://www.cnbc.com/2017/06/07/crame...n-one-day.html
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2017, 11:00 AM   #23
OliveSales
"TRF" Member
 
OliveSales's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by THC View Post
I have one Bitcoin and two Ethereums and keep up with this daily

Today article; http://www.cnbc.com/2017/06/07/crame...n-one-day.html
Interesting article, thanks for sharing.

Wences Casares, member of PayPal's board of directors thinks that bitcoin has the chance of hitting 1 million as well.

https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/bitc...ypal-director/
OliveSales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2017, 11:08 AM   #24
THC
2020 HARRODS SGE Pledge Member
 
THC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Real Name: Tom
Location: Mandeville La
Watch: 228238
Posts: 9,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by OliveSales View Post
Interesting article, thanks for sharing.

Wences Casares, member of PayPal's board of directors thinks that bitcoin has the chance of hitting 1 million as well.

https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/bitc...ypal-director/
Great article yourself sir.. .. when my investment hits 25k I will get my DD 40 for 2k
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2017, 11:20 AM   #25
GB-man
2020 Rolex BLNR Giveaway Pledge Member
 
GB-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: On the run
Watch: addiction issues
Posts: 31,350
So where do you buy and sell it?
GB-man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2017, 11:28 AM   #26
Syed117
2020 HARRODS SGE Pledge Member
 
Syed117's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Real Name: Syed
Location: New York
Posts: 3,303
I have a bunch. Ethereum, litecoin, siacoin, bitcoin.

Everything is up, but at this point, I'm buying just about everything that is worthless.

Putting a few hundred into all the newer ones like siacoin and hoping that one pays off.

My return if I sell the major ones right now is fine, but it's nothing to gear crazy about.

Most recently, I bought siacoin. Not to ton, but have 25,000. That's worth a few hundred dollars today. If it crashes, I don't really care.

No risk no reward.

Edit : to clarify, this is a relatively long term investment. Im betting on 3-5 years minimum.
__________________
Rolex Datejust 41 126334 | Grand Seiko Snowflake SBGA211 | Omega Speedmaster Professional Hesalite | Panerai Base Logo 774 | Tudor Black Bay 58

Instagram - watchsyed
Syed117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2017, 11:34 AM   #27
Syed117
2020 HARRODS SGE Pledge Member
 
Syed117's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Real Name: Syed
Location: New York
Posts: 3,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
So where do you buy and sell it?
Bitcoin, ethereum, and litecoin can all be bought on coinbase.

The smaller less known ones are on other exchanges like bittrex and bitstamp.
__________________
Rolex Datejust 41 126334 | Grand Seiko Snowflake SBGA211 | Omega Speedmaster Professional Hesalite | Panerai Base Logo 774 | Tudor Black Bay 58

Instagram - watchsyed
Syed117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2017, 11:36 AM   #28
GB-man
2020 Rolex BLNR Giveaway Pledge Member
 
GB-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: On the run
Watch: addiction issues
Posts: 31,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post
Bitcoin, ethereum, and litecoin can all be bought on coinbase.

The smaller less known ones are on other exchanges like bittrex and bitstamp.
Thanks syed. Might throw some play funds in there for and giggles.
GB-man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2017, 11:38 AM   #29
Syed117
2020 HARRODS SGE Pledge Member
 
Syed117's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Real Name: Syed
Location: New York
Posts: 3,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Thanks syed. Might throw some play funds in there for and giggles.
Yeah. I don't think it's too risky to throw a few grand around at these things.

Especially if you have some of the safe ones to balance out if every single new one crashes.

I bought some ethereum at $170 less than 2 weeks ago. I think it was around $270 yesterday.

That's not bad at all.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
__________________
Rolex Datejust 41 126334 | Grand Seiko Snowflake SBGA211 | Omega Speedmaster Professional Hesalite | Panerai Base Logo 774 | Tudor Black Bay 58

Instagram - watchsyed
Syed117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2017, 12:11 PM   #30
Etschell
"TRF" Member
 
Etschell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Real Name: E40
Location: FL
Watch: 114060, 25600tb
Posts: 14,261
Scam if you ask me. Don't care if there is a market for it.
__________________
If you wind it, they will run.

Would you like to take part in Meet a Rolex Forums Member? Please PM me. The series began with tkerrmd. And continued with DavidSW, GerardoG, Jocke, TheVTCGuy, Rolex Addict, Art1, SearChart
Etschell is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


*Banners Of The Month*
This space is provided to horological resources.





Copyright 2004-2020, The Rolex Forums. All Rights Reserved.

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Rolex is a registered trademark of ROLEX USA. The Rolex Forums is not affiliated with ROLEX USA in any way.