The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 August 2023, 05:27 PM   #31
Tanuki
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
First, the OP is NOT overrated. It’s a Rolex! There is a beautiful simplicity to a 3 handed time only watch. It’s not like a date complication, or a ratcheting bezel is a miracle. The OP is the original Rolex! To get that history, and beautiful simplicity, in an exotic discontinued color variant is special. If you want it, and can afford the several thousand dollar premium, go for it! Call one of our trusted sellers.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
They’re asking 30k for the turquoise on the grey market. I love them and appreciate their simplicity too but not at the grey prices.
Tanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2023, 11:38 PM   #32
IR201
"TRF" Member

I struggled with this. Had the red OP41, then started to feel like it was a lot of $ to have in an OP (that could have been used for a different piece). Wound up trading it toward a Daytona. I think it was the right move for me, but if I had no constraints, I would want that red OP back.
IR201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 12:24 AM   #33
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanuki View Post
They’re asking 30k for the turquoise on the grey market. I love them and appreciate their simplicity too but not at the grey prices.

I agree that to pay 30 grand for any OP is ridiculous. I was thinking $11,000 for the red, or the yellow.

Kat

KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 12:29 AM   #34
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
At retail price they’re great value. At the secondary prices they’re not (at least for me)
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 12:51 AM   #35
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
They became really popular among the A list celebrities which helped fuel the hype behind them

But great watches nonetheless
Old 22 August 2023, 01:05 AM   #36
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
I agree that to pay 30 grand for any OP is ridiculous. I was thinking $11,000 for the red, or the yellow.

Kat

Is the red/yellow 41 available at 11? Or you thinking the 36?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 22 August 2023, 01:10 AM   #37
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrunner View Post
Wanted to get others' opinions on the discontinued OP41 colored watches (eg yellow, turquoise, coral etc). Do folks think they are totally overrated given how basic the watch is (particularly given the prices)? Or, do the colors make them special?

For the record, I love my yellow OP and am considering others... but they are sooo expensive.
Completely subjective IMO. The OP is a perfectly decent and simple 3 hand watch, but if you tell a non-WIS even the MSRP they'll think you're insane... just like they would with ANY "expensive" watch. Everyone has a point where price vs utility diverge - in other words the point when price outweighs the enjoyment/"the need to own it". For non-WIS folk it's probably £100 for a watch. I guess for the majority of Rolex buyers it's MSRP (or reasonably close to it). For some I guess the need for the turquoise dial doesn't have a price they wouldn't pay.

To me it boils down to a function of those two things - utility and price - how much you want it, and how much you can afford it.

Personally speaking I think MSRP is fine for an OP. Anything over it, no thanks.
Old 22 August 2023, 10:30 AM   #38
GMTmatt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by IR201 View Post
Is the red/yellow 41 available at 11? Or you thinking the 36?

I would take both the red and yellow @ $11k for the 41mm.
Old 22 August 2023, 10:38 AM   #39
JSingh22
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167a
I’ve always loved the yellow OP. My brother had one before he moved to Geneva, always love to see it glow. I really don’t think it’s overrated IMO.
JSingh22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 10:46 AM   #40
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMTmatt View Post
I would take both the red and yellow @ $11k for the 41mm.

Agree!!

Old 22 August 2023, 01:45 PM   #41
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Quote:
Originally Posted by IR201 View Post
Agree!!

Just took a look around out of curiosity. Red and yellow seem to be mostly in the $18-25K range with of course a few higher outliers. Turquoise around $25-35K mostly, green $11-14K. Blue, black, and silver mostly in the $8-10K range.
I want to add a Celebration the most but my SA told me no way at least through this calendar year. I might pay $10K for a yellow if they ever drop that low.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2023, 10:41 AM   #42
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtNouveau View Post
Just took a look around out of curiosity. Red and yellow seem to be mostly in the $18-25K range with of course a few higher outliers. Turquoise around $25-35K mostly, green $11-14K. Blue, black, and silver mostly in the $8-10K range.
I want to add a Celebration the most but my SA told me no way at least through this calendar year. I might pay $10K for a yellow if they ever drop that low.

Thanks bud for looking around. I feel like those ranges might be a bit high for what’s possible. Let’s keep up the good fight . Yellow at 10 would be amazing

Old 23 August 2023, 12:41 PM   #43
eexav
"TRF" Member

Love the OP’s hoping to get the call soon
eexav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2023, 12:54 PM   #44
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
Personally I think MSRP on the Rolex's today are all over priced for what you get. But probably one of there best every day watches is the OP. There the essence of what a reliable watch should be. Everything one needs with nothing you don't.

I don't care for the unusual colors but have owned a OP 41 in blue. I found it to be one of my all time favorites from a plethora of Rolex's I have owned. A true GADA watch in its purist form.
Rolex 226570, Explorer II Club
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2023, 01:49 PM   #45
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

15k, 20k, 30k for the most basic watch in the entire catalogue is insanity. Msrp on OP is like what - $6k? You can so much more watch for that money...
Kliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2023, 02:22 PM   #46
Mercede
"TRF" Member

OP's look ok in pictures, in hand/on wrist not so much. Entry level watches that look and feel like it in person, great buys at retail. No offense but you just shouldn't pay that much over retail for one regardless of dial, so much better watches in the catalog that convey the real Rolex feel.
Mercede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2023, 02:45 PM   #47
rg9390
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona SS
I have the green 41 at MSRP. But I have a relationship with the AD and have spent with them on watches that I like and will wear.

Compared to the 5711 tiffany dial which is 100x over list or something, the discontinued OPs are great value with the 1.5x to 3.0x retail.

The money is yours, so spend what you feel is worth it.
rg9390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2023, 05:56 PM   #48
mattidk
"TRF" Member

Interesting if the market price not goes that high for OP41, would Rolex discontinued these colorful line so quick...
Still happy with my Tiffany blue though
mattidk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2023, 07:04 PM   #49
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Fashion is fickle. What is the rage of fashion today may be tomorrows dud.
jimcameron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2023, 10:51 PM   #50
PenDelicate
"TRF" Member

Watch: P-serial 116518
It's refreshing to read comments on MSRP and, "I only buy from an AD," when talking about discontinued watches.

- "I'm thinking of buying a vintage 4-digit Daytona."
- "I only buy from the AD."
- "I would never pay above MSRP."

Well ... ok, then.
PenDelicate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2023, 11:14 PM   #51
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenDelicate View Post
It's refreshing to read comments on MSRP and, "I only buy from an AD," when talking about discontinued watches.

- "I'm thinking of buying a vintage 4-digit Daytona."
- "I only buy from the AD."
- "I would never pay above MSRP."

Well ... ok, then.

It is still fair / relevant to take about the market price vs MSRP regardless of if it's been discontinued or not. Still a relevant conversation whereas only buying from an AD is not
Old 23 August 2023, 11:15 PM   #52
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

I had the green and was kinda meh about it. It’s long gone
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2023, 11:53 PM   #53
MONTANTK
"TRF" Member

For the discontinued colors, I think some of the premiums are reasonable given how few are in existence. For the existing ones, especially the Tiffany blue color, I don’t think the premiums make sense
MONTANTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2023, 01:42 AM   #54
RichardBartlett
"TRF" Member

I like them as they have a very clean crisp look. I liked the Tiffany when they came out but turned down 2 below 10k thinking the hype would die away..

However to me, the green is not a nice green and the yellow is a bit canary for me.The red is a bit 'art director' to me so that's a no . I have grown fond of the metallic blue and would consider one for sure.

All in all I think they are excellent. I'm just extremely disappointed Rolex played their public by discontinuing the most popular models. A very poor and totally unnecessary decision IMHO
RichardBartlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2023, 01:47 AM   #55
MINOLI
"TRF" Member

I recently acquired the blue, and have seen the red in person. I don't care for the others as much, those are the only two I'd own.
MINOLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2023, 01:56 AM   #56
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
they are nice watches, but not worth 10k+
worldofoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2023, 03:15 AM   #57
logo
"TRF" Member

Posters need to clarify when one says “it’s not worth it” are you referring to the secondary price being overvalued, or just not worth it to you because they aren’t the same thing. Surely members here must know that most of the “value” or “worth” in a Rolex is the dial - sure there are some movement differences, maybe a rotating bezel but end of the day it’s the dial that gets valued, not the movement, complication or finishing when it comes to Rolex. Why does a YG Daytona with green “John Mayer” dial command a 30k premium over the more basic white dial version? Why does a white SS Daytona have a higher secondary price than a SS black one? Why do we care about Patrizzi dials, frog foot dials, radial dials, COMEX dials, cream/panna etc. Why do vintage collectors obsess over patina, original dials etc vs just getting a service dial?

Worth it to you in your collection is different from what someone else is happy to pay. The secondary pricing tells you the latter and it is what it is. I think Tesla stock is overvalued. But the market disagrees with me. I also wouldn’t pay 30k for a Tiffany OP but can’t argue that there’s clearly a market for them at that price.
logo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2023, 03:46 AM   #58
RichardBartlett
"TRF" Member

https://watchcharts.com/watch_variat...-0003/overview

listing the tiffany at 11k..??
RichardBartlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2023, 03:55 AM   #59
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardBartlett View Post

That must have already sold, but the ones I’ve seen listed that low, were aftermarket redials, which I would avoid. I got my favorite dial, so I’m good, though I am on the list, at my AD, for the Celebration dial, which are also being sold with Aftermarket dials. Not a snowball’s chance in H- E - double hockey sticks, that I’ll get that call….

Kat

KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2023, 04:28 AM   #60
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by logo View Post
Posters need to clarify when one says “it’s not worth it” are you referring to the secondary price being overvalued, or just not worth it to you because they aren’t the same thing. Surely members here must know that most of the “value” or “worth” in a Rolex is the dial - sure there are some movement differences, maybe a rotating bezel but end of the day it’s the dial that gets valued, not the movement, complication or finishing when it comes to Rolex. Why does a YG Daytona with green “John Mayer” dial command a 30k premium over the more basic white dial version? Why does a white SS Daytona have a higher secondary price than a SS black one? Why do we care about Patrizzi dials, frog foot dials, radial dials, COMEX dials, cream/panna etc. Why do vintage collectors obsess over patina, original dials etc vs just getting a service dial?

Worth it to you in your collection is different from what someone else is happy to pay. The secondary pricing tells you the latter and it is what it is. I think Tesla stock is overvalued. But the market disagrees with me. I also wouldn’t pay 30k for a Tiffany OP but can’t argue that there’s clearly a market for them at that price.
I don't think anyone disagrees with your comment (I don't). you just described collecting - it's deeply personal and nuanced. "VALUE' is personal. most if not all of what is written here is based on each individual's perspective / perception. we come here to share our opinions and have discussions - that's what makes it fun.