The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 19 April 2014, 12:41 PM   #1
photo
"TRF" Member

Mystery ..On 14K Jubilee USA Bracelets Sporting Brushed Outer Links V. Full Polish?

I own two 14K OP Date Watches sporting factory USA Jubilee bracelets.. .Can someone advise me and clear up a mystery that has just come to my attention?

It might help to share that one is serial numbered approx 1965/66 which sports a brushed outer link polished center link
bracelet. The other is approx 1981 and it sports a Full high polish bracelet.

Yes, there are some minor differences beyond this when I examined the clasps for example but both have micro adjustment clasps, etc..

Are both Correct, or is one of them Wrong? Although, RSC did lastly service the 1981 .

Okay, IF each are correct can anyone tell me when this was offered or changed (or if it did) at all?

I tried to look it up in the tech forum library but just couldn't manage to figure it out.. despite lots of great pics and other info.

Thanks for any help.. .
photo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2014, 01:06 PM   #2
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Full polished is likely someone polishing it all, that's all, doing a half job really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 19 April 2014, 01:12 PM   #3
photo
"TRF" Member

Now, I'm even more curious being Rolex lastly serviced it.. .
Old 19 April 2014, 04:34 PM   #4
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo View Post
Now, I'm even more curious being Rolex lastly serviced it.. .

In 1981 RSC serviced it, that's a long time ago.

Old 19 April 2014, 06:45 PM   #5
photo
"TRF" Member

??
Old 19 April 2014, 07:09 PM   #6
photo
"TRF" Member

Icon10

Hi David, I was just reading your wonderful informative contributions on bracelets and so much more in the reference library. Your knowledge is truly extraordinary!! Thank you so much for all your time and generosity in sharing your expertise.

Back to my question/challenge.. Actually, the watch I'm questioning was brand new in 1981 and it's last RSC servicing was in 2010. (I think maybe the way I'd expressed it.. caused some confusion. I have two 14k OP Dates in my collection (The other is an older model 1965/66 it was actually serviced 2 months ago, and all is well, regarding bracelet finish).

Thanks Again.. . Please educate me.. I'm eager to learn!
By the way instead of coloring Easter eggs and picking out bunnies..you have me looking at ladies, squirrels and dog heads!!
Old 19 April 2014, 08:30 PM   #7
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo View Post
Hi David, I was just reading your wonderful informative contributions on bracelets and so much more in the reference library. Your knowledge is truly extraordinary!! Thank you so much for all your time and generosity in sharing your expertise.

Back to my question/challenge.. Actually, the watch I'm questioning was brand new in 1981 and it's last RSC servicing was in 2010. (I think maybe the way I'd expressed it.. caused some confusion. I have two 14k OP Dates in my collection (The other is an older model 1965/66 it was actually serviced 2 months ago, and all is well, regarding bracelet finish).

Thanks Again.. . Please educate me.. I'm eager to learn!

By the way instead of coloring Easter eggs and picking out bunnies..you have me looking at ladies, squirrels and dog heads!!

Have you owned it since 2010 ?

Old 20 April 2014, 04:11 AM   #8
photo
"TRF" Member

No, back then I could read a smaller dial -LOL. Actually, the original/previous owner is indeed known to me, and I can actually contact them and speak with them. I have the actual service docs ..and booklet (which I haven't looked at and should have). I was going to drop in to our AD and have it re-sized.. and inquire, but although I know the owners are seasoned veterans, they aren't always on hand, and to me the staff aren't always thoroughly versed beyond the current lines.

David, I dare say you strike me as knowing a heck of a lot more than they do.
I don't know if it fills in any blanks but,,
I am really just interested in learning more about this subject. Awhile back I did some reading about why Rolex purportedly sourced the bracelets -taxes etc. And learned something about 14K being the highest gold content at one point available in the USA- until surprisingly relatively recent times (albeit, probably showing my age here). I'd read about J Bender.. Champion..and Joske(sp?) made in Mexico. Frankly, I found the back story pretty interesting..and we all have to start somewhere..

As mentioned I can/and plan to take the watch into our AD.. Ultimately, I expect it might deserve a strap.. but since my children arranged this gift..I thought it would be nice/right to let them at least see me wear it for a bit.. . It was IMHO over the top and beyond extremely thoughtful of them ..

Hope I haven't bored you with all this-
Old 20 April 2014, 07:23 AM   #9
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

There are many band makers yes, Japanese and Argentinian bands, also English made. Your band has a simple explanation I believe a band polish after rsc. Maybe just someone with a bottle of polish or cape cod cloth. Should be brush on outer links
Old 20 April 2014, 10:19 AM   #10
V.lats97nsx
2024 Pledge Member

I have one from the 70s 5mil serial usa band never been polished

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
V.lats97nsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2014, 10:38 AM   #11
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowncollection View Post
There are many band makers yes, Japanese and Argentinian bands, also English made. Your band has a simple explanation I believe a band polish after rsc. Maybe just someone with a bottle of polish or cape cod cloth. Should be brush on outer links

Agree - all the Rolex USA Jubilees I've ever had were brushed outer + polished center links

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2014, 01:45 PM   #12
photo
"TRF" Member

Thanks so much.. I really appreciate your time and help ..I guess I can either live with it, or try my hand with a scotch brite pad..Although, I don't feel that courageous actually.. . But now I know for future reference.. so I have learned something..
Old 20 April 2014, 02:20 PM   #13
photo
"TRF" Member

Thank you for posting the high resolution image .. a terrific training aid! Excellent reference..