The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 15 August 2017, 10:34 PM   #31
greggsiam
"TRF" Member

In addition to what was said above, I would throw 1-2k in crypto and forget about it for 5-10 years.
greggsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2017, 01:17 AM   #32
pearson1995
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the responses guys... few things I'm from the UK, early 20's if that makes a difference. Looking to invest around £5K

I like the idea of either gold, or blue chip stock although I understand the stock market right now may not be the best to invest in.

Can I ask, here in the U.k how would I go about buying gold? And then how would I sell it? Through banks? Websites etc?

And same with stock. Do you go through a bank?

Sorry if I seem very naive on this, I have to start somewhere haha.
Old 16 August 2017, 02:40 AM   #33
hugs
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrera911 View Post
I know I'm gonna upset many people here today by saying this but I'll say it anyways: I personally don't think Apple is a great stock/company anymore.
True that Apple sits on a lot of cash which they can use to purchase other companies.
True that apple created the iPhone.
But the last couple years I haven't seen any of their products to be very innovative. I'm sorry I was not impressed with the new Mac Pro, iPads or Macs. I couldn't find one good reason to upgrade my i6s to i7 etc...
Was just using it as a well known example, I don't own Apple anymore (made a decent amount on it in the past though) and agree with what you posted here.

Personally I think Microsoft is a much better company today than it was 5-10 years ago when I would have picked a Mac any day even if the PC was free. Microsoft have really upped their game while Apple have stopped trying.
hugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2017, 03:04 AM   #34
ecdc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearson1995 View Post
Hi guys,

I'm asking this forum as I often hear how watches aren't investments and there are better ways to invest your money.
I personally strongly disagree with this. Are you going to make crazy money on a modern day rolex? Probably not. But I personally have made a nice amount on my watches admitidly through luck as much as judgement.

My question is if not watches, how would you invest 5-30 K right now? Please tell me ways you would reccomend or know about which in your opinion are better than watches.

Thanks.
Still have a mortgage? Credit card debt? Pay that down first.
ecdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2017, 03:12 AM   #35
hugs
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and Tudor
Quote:
Thanks for the responses guys... few things I'm from the UK, early 20's if that makes a difference. Looking to invest around £5K

I like the idea of either gold, or blue chip stock although I understand the stock market right now may not be the best to invest in.

Can I ask, here in the U.k how would I go about buying gold? And then how would I sell it? Through banks? Websites etc?

And same with stock. Do you go through a bank?

Sorry if I seem very naive on this, I have to start somewhere haha.
I'm also in the UK, early 20s and in a similar position.

The best way to invest £5k would be through an online broker. I use Hargreaves Lansdown which charge slightly high fees but IMO the service is worth it. They are the largest broker here and are covered by the financial services compensation scheme (if they go bust and lose your money you are covered by the government up to I believe £50k). There are other companies if you want to research, but I would be sure to go for one that is covered by FSCS.

With £5k I would open an ISA. The annual charge is a bit higher (I think it's about 0.6% a year) but you can put 20k a year into this and long as you don't withdraw it will always be tax free. Even if you made £1m from the money in there, as long as it stays in there, any further profits made from it would be tax free. While it's unlikely with 5k you will hit the profit thresholds to pay capital gains (£11.3k) or dividend (£5k) tax it's good to start building it up early, if you didn't you probably will wish you had done in 10 years.

Unless you are investing a huge sum you can normally just deposit money via a debit card payment, then it's incredibly easy to invest in whatever you choose, you will see what to do when you log in.

You can buy physical gold through websites, personally I have used bullionbypost.com. Though they charge about a 3% surcharge over the weight value and give you about 98.5% when you sell it back. Have also used a gold ETF (basically a company that just holds a load of gold and you buy shares in it which represent the gold) which you buy through your share dealing broker. You have no claim over the physical gold but it's cheaper, you just pay the dealing charge as if it was a share. If you buy silver ETFs are the only way to go as we pay 20% VAT on physical silver here.
hugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2018, 08:47 AM   #36
watchloverdave
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Blue Sub
My Rolexes haven't cost me a dime. They have cost my heirs a few tens of thousands, but I don't care. They are all well established and don't need my money.
watchloverdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2018, 09:21 AM   #37
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:
Hi guys,

I'm asking this forum as I often hear how watches aren't investments and there are better ways to invest your money.
I personally strongly disagree with this. Are you going to make crazy money on a modern day rolex? Probably not. But I personally have made a nice amount on my watches admitidly through luck as much as judgement.

My question is if not watches, how would you invest 5-30 K right now? Please tell me ways you would reccomend or know about which in your opinion are better than watches.

Thanks.
ADMP or NVAX have more profit potential.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2018, 10:08 AM   #38
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ CO BL
I think the good thing with watches is that it can always function as a “pseudo-investment” in that you can enjoy the “dividends/returns” ie the joy of wearing it everyday and also participate in some form of currency hedge, inflation protection and some capital appreciation if you buy right/buy the right model. For me ultimately watches will always be a “poor” investment from a traditional perspective but if you incorporate the other factors i mentioned it can be a nice allocation in an otherwise diverse portfolio which you should have regardless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
F.P.Journe Chronometre Optimum Black Label, Patek 5811G-001, A. Lange & Söhne Lange 1 191.039, Patek 5167A-001, Rolex Yacht-Master 40 Everrose, (Wh) Rolex Daytona 116500, (Blue) Rolex Skydweller 326934, Rolex Submariner 126610LV

IG: tokyo_watch_guy
kaiserphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 11:15 PM   #39
ericsku87
"TRF" Member

Watches aren't investments, so what is?

The only benefit to investing in watches is that you get to enjoy wearing them, but the experience is priceless.
ericsku87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 01:33 AM   #40
spoilsofwar01
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing Rainclouds
Gold Coins, antique Jewelery

Quote:
Hi guys,

Thanks.
Getting back to your question, its odd how things go, some say watches are not an investment, I was buying Avia's and Emperors for £10/ £20 each and then re-selling, 4 and half years later I had my first Vintage Rolex Submariner which seems to have doubled in price, I'm interested in gold coins and vintage jewellery, all of which has continued to rise in price, Id consider looking at gold coins, if this is of interest to you can recommended a uk seller who I buy from and fully trust. Hope this helps "H"
spoilsofwar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 03:13 AM   #41
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Hi guys,

Thanks.
You need an appointment with a financial planner to be honest. Asking a bunch of watch aficionados how best to invest your money is not logical nor appropriate, IMO.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 06:57 AM   #42
SDRider
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116613LB
Quote:
Hi guys,

Thanks.
I sure as hell wouldn’t recommend buying watches. And if your financial planner is telling you that investing in watches makes good financial sense then my advice to you would be to fire him immediately.
SDRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 11:11 AM   #43
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:
Hi guys,

Thanks.

ADMP--looking like a nice ride.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2018, 11:33 AM   #44
BrazenC5
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1665,1675,1680,SD4
Vintage CGC graded marvel comic books...im not joking.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
BrazenC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2018, 11:52 AM   #45
Retired Bob
Banned

retired at 56 tax free bonds
Retired Bob is offline   Reply With Quote