The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 8 May 2018, 11:44 PM   #1
SilverFoxUK
"TRF" Member

Is the new CK2998 plus the Pro Moonwatch too much Speedmaster?

Opinions welcomed... I recently bought a new Speedmaster Pro Moonwatch (Hesalite, 42mm) from a smaller UK AD at a good discount.

Before I managed to negotiate this discount, I was torn between this Moonwatch Pro and the new CK2998 (with the red chrono hand). While shopping around, and narrowing it down to these two options, a larger AD who I have no history with took my deposit for the CK2998 (which was available to order, to my surprise), and estimated I would have the watch in July (at full retail price). They said I can cancel the order and have my deposit back at any time. By the way, this larger AD would not offer any reasonable discount on the Moonwatch Pro.

Hence I am now thinking, do I really need to buy (and have) two new Speedmasters within 3 months or so? Should I cancel my order on the CK2998? Would I be crazy to do this if its value is likely to go up over the next 4 years?

Factors influencing me are:

1) I am on the waiting list for a Rolex Daytona SS ceramic and have been for over 15 months. I am hopeful that within 2 years I will have this, as I have a reasonable history with the Rolex AD and have bought three watches from them in 2.5 years, all steel though, one being a DJ41. When I get this Daytona, I am not sure I would want/need three chronos including 2 speedies and a Daytona, and would likely prioritise the Daytona.

2) I have worn the new Moonwatch Pro and can not return it. I was keen to get a watch that was less costly than my Rolexes and to have something to add variety in my small collection. However I am concerned that if my collection goes over 5 watches I won't enjoy them all by giving each enough wrist time. I jumped on the Mooonwatch Pro due to its history and price after discount.

3) If I do cancel my CK2998 order, it will save me £4320 over the next 4 years (it would be on 0% finance for 48 months bar the deposit). However, as it is a limited edition, would the value likely go up over 4 years? (BTW - I agree that normally I would not view watches as investments, but due to my overenthusiasm I may end up with too many watches here, and a good investment is always a good thing!)

4) I would be very reluctant to sell any of the 3 Rolexes for the foreseeable, as I love them and they are worn and enjoyed.

Thanks in advance folks!
SilverFoxUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2018, 01:03 AM   #2
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I purchased my first Speedy(standard hesalite Moonwatch)in February. Wanted to add the new CK after Basel but balked at paying in full with no certain delivery date. I think your dealer's July estimate is highly optimistic.
Instead I sourced a Mitsukoshi dial and hands and now I have my Panda. I wouldn't mind adding another basic model in the future but in no hurry.
I am also on a very loose "list" for a Daytona C from a small market dealer but it will be a bit of a surprise when and if it comes through.
If you like the Panda look, I'd get the CK. It and your Pro should hold value pretty well if you have to do some shuffling later.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2018, 01:54 AM   #3
mulgogy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rollies
I think both are great, the CK is completely different and compliment each other nicely!
mulgogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2018, 03:21 AM   #4
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

I wouldn’t think the new ck is an investment piece. Blue holding up nice but still down 1k relative to ask
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2018, 03:49 AM   #5
speedy cosmograph
Banned

1. If you are financing a watch, you probably shouldn't buy a watch.
2. The so called 2998 will go down in value considerably.
3. If you have to buy another Speedmaster, buy vintage.
4. If you want to get a stainless Daytona, you'll have to talk face to face with a dealer and let him know you will pay and extra 2k or so to get "on the real list."
speedy cosmograph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2018, 03:58 AM   #6
SilverFoxUK
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the comments so far :

I do like the panda look but probably don’t need 2 panda watches. (if I get the Daytona).

Sounds like 2998 models may not be as sought after as I had thought?

Btw I would never pay for finance to buy a watch, 0% deals being the exception as it’s free money really and reduces outlay. I had not heard that anyone is paying more than MRSP at ADs for ceramic Daytonas... however I have heard people are sometimes asked to buy a PM watch for example, to qualify to buy the steel Daytona.
Old 9 May 2018, 01:33 PM   #7
tacotaco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona C - Black
Yea don't buy a watch on speculation of value
These watches cost pennies on the dollar for the big brands to make, and valuation is based on the strength of the brand and future demand. Another recession and the prices for a lot pieces will come down nicely
Buy a watch you will wear
Buy a watch you plan on keeping
Buy a watch you can afford
Buy a watch that makes you smile
tacotaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2018, 04:32 PM   #8
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacotaco View Post
Yea don't buy a watch on speculation of value
These watches cost pennies on the dollar for the big brands to make, and valuation is based on the strength of the brand and future demand. Another recession and the prices for a lot pieces will come down nicely
Buy a watch you will wear
Buy a watch you plan on keeping
Buy a watch you can afford
Buy a watch that makes you smile

^this.

It’s unlikely the CK will rocket in value. Remember the price you see at watchfinder et al. will include their margin and won’t be what you could probably sell for. Personally I don’t think it’s too much to buy another one, but I’m like you. I seem to get funny when I have over 3 watches as I feel I’m investing money in something sat in a winder. I’d rather have a smaller collection of watches that I wear regularly but that’s just me.

If you want to buy it, then go ahead and maybe see how you feel about thinning out something else from your collection if that’s a problem. It’s a nice release.

Personally I think the 0% offered by many AD’s here in the UK is great. Why oh it all out in one go. As long as you have enough to cover it if the shit hits the fan then all good in my eyes.
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2018, 10:20 PM   #9
speedy cosmograph
Banned

The so called CK 2998 is my least favorite faux Speedmaster along with the one with all the colored subdials. Earth to Mars? I tried to force it out of my mind. The 2998 is not only a disgrace in name but also appearance. And the mounds of them for sale now seems to indicate I'm not alone.

The whole "speedy tuesday" thing was also painful to see, but at least that faux Speedmaster was attractive. Is Omega going to the "dogs"? (That's a reference to the other least fav...with the cartoon dog. And I like Peanuts and Snoopy...at xmas and Halloween.)

Omega is using the Speedmaster name, with all its historical appeal, to peddle any number of silly, illegitimate monstrosities. I can't help but wonder if this practice will eventually hurt the real Speedmaster and its modern progeny. (There's only one real Speedmaster...the one that started in 1957 and travelled to the moon. God knows what the current 37 digit reference is. I stopped trying to keep up after 3570.50.
speedy cosmograph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2018, 11:09 PM   #10
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

^^^^this is pretty harsh but if your a purist I suppose I understand. I own most of the models You point out as bad replicas

Speedy Tuesday is one of my favorites in fact
Old 12 May 2018, 12:16 AM   #11
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Curmudgeon is the word. I love the current reference of the Moonwatch. How cool is it that you can basically buy a brand new vintage watch. If you don't like all of the variations don't buy them.
Saying the recent limited editions are a failure is BS. The previous blue/white CK2998 is trading within $1K of its MSRP, not bad. The Speedy Tuesday is going for $1-2K over MSRP. The basic Moonwatch itself seems to hover around $3K regardless of age. You can buy a modern one for around $3500 new if you shop around.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2018, 06:41 AM   #12
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy cosmograph View Post
The so called CK 2998 is my least favorite faux Speedmaster along with the one with all the colored subdials. Earth to Mars? I tried to force it out of my mind. The 2998 is not only a disgrace in name but also appearance. And the mounds of them for sale now seems to indicate I'm not alone.

The whole "speedy tuesday" thing was also painful to see, but at least that faux Speedmaster was attractive. Is Omega going to the "dogs"? (That's a reference to the other least fav...with the cartoon dog. And I like Peanuts and Snoopy...at xmas and Halloween.)

Omega is using the Speedmaster name, with all its historical appeal, to peddle any number of silly, illegitimate monstrosities. I can't help but wonder if this practice will eventually hurt the real Speedmaster and its modern progeny. (There's only one real Speedmaster...the one that started in 1957 and travelled to the moon. God knows what the current 37 digit reference is. I stopped trying to keep up after 3570.50.
I'd say this is plenty harsh for a brand trying to sell watches. It's plain as day the Speedmaster is a golden goose for Omega from with historical provenance. The hardcore vintage collectors will always have their market collecting older Speedmasters but vintage isn't for everyone (I say this as a collector for both). They produce faithful modern renditions of the classical references (FOIS, modern Speedy Pro, 60th Anniversary etc) and also offer a plethora of Speedmaster varieties for people with different tastes....I don't really see what's wrong with that as it satisfies a lot of people (obviously since it's selling) and it makes them money non-stop basically producing variations on a familiar mold of a watch.

That said I am not a fan of their LE marketing as it's lost the meaning throughout all the non-stop releases throughout the years....but I won't deny there's been a lot of interesting Speedmaster references that has come out throughout the years......

P.S. I actually like the dog on the watch.....for some of us, we liked Peanuts before even knowing what a Speedmaster is and the fact that it coincides with the Snoopy Award (Apollo XIII mission).....I don't see it as that out of place. It's not like they randomly slap Heathcliff on the watch and tries to market it as something historical.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2018, 07:10 AM   #13
MP5
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

good post
MP5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2018, 09:41 AM   #14
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

I would forget the CK and enjoy the pro. You can always get it later pre-owned for less. I don’t think it’s going to appreciate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2018, 11:43 AM   #15
Bholobinko
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subc & Daytona
Keep the speedy pro. I have a Daytona, subc, and datejust, but have been wearing the pro a lot. Great dial and heasalite is a beauty with its warmth.
Bholobinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2018, 12:42 PM   #16
Justindo
"TRF" Member

If you think you will only be comfortable with a five watch collection, I think one Speedmaster, the one you currently own, is enough, especially if you're getting a white dial Daytona. I love my Speedmaster, but one is enough for me.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2018, 06:17 PM   #17
SilverFoxUK
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the advice everyone! I think I will cancel the CK2998 order and just enjoy my Pro Moonwatch. It is growing on me and I’ll wait for my ‘grail’ panda Daytona SS. As a side note I do miss the more adjustable bracelets you get on Rolex watches; my Speedmaster is either too loose, or with one link out it’s too tight. My wrists change size a lot with the weather. Not sure I am feeling the NATO style or leather strap options for now though.
Old 12 May 2018, 10:52 PM   #18
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Is the new CK2998 plus the Pro Moonwatch too much Speedmaster?

116500 is not technically a panda, irrelevant as it’s amazing
Old 30 May 2018, 10:50 PM   #19
Flybak
"TRF" Member

Watch: Enthusiast
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
I'd say this is plenty harsh for a brand trying to sell watches. It's plain as day the Speedmaster is a golden goose for Omega from with historical provenance. The hardcore vintage collectors will always have their market collecting older Speedmasters but vintage isn't for everyone (I say this as a collector for both). They produce faithful modern renditions of the classical references (FOIS, modern Speedy Pro, 60th Anniversary etc) and also offer a plethora of Speedmaster varieties for people with different tastes....I don't really see what's wrong with that as it satisfies a lot of people (obviously since it's selling) and it makes them money non-stop basically producing variations on a familiar mold of a watch.

That said I am not a fan of their LE marketing as it's lost the meaning throughout all the non-stop releases throughout the years....but I won't deny there's been a lot of interesting Speedmaster references that has come out throughout the years......

P.S. I actually like the dog on the watch.....for some of us, we liked Peanuts before even knowing what a Speedmaster is and the fact that it coincides with the Snoopy Award (Apollo XIII mission).....I don't see it as that out of place. It's not like they randomly slap Heathcliff on the watch and tries to market it as something historical.

I agree with you 100%. Let's face it, there are a lot of people with tastes that differ subtly from one another and variety provides an opportunity to address the demand. We may not like each reference, which is always par for the course with any watch released from any brand. The fact that they continue to be produced shows they do sell otherwise from a business standpoint the practice would have stopped long ago.
Flybak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2018, 02:28 AM   #20
ndls
"TRF" Member

I went through the same dilemma. Figured I was just getting excited, and ahead of myself in wanting two Speedmasters within a short period of time. Decided to just enjoy my speedy pro, and change up that straps every now and then. Cheers!
ndls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2018, 03:15 AM   #21
tacotaco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona C - Black
Goood because I really want the new ck2998 muahahah
tacotaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2018, 06:24 AM   #22
wfreed22
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy cosmograph View Post

I can understand the disapproval of using CK 2998 with this watch when it looks nothing like the original but in terms of making new variations on the Speedy don't buy them if you don't like them. Also, the one they made in 1957 isn't the one that went to the moon so your whole "there is only one real speedmaster" argument doesn't hold much water.
wfreed22 is offline   Reply With Quote