The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 22 May 2018, 01:33 AM   #31
dmash
"TRF" Member

I think another underplayed factor on these threads, is your physical appearance. If you’re 20s/30s and athletically built, somebody is going to think twice about trying to forcefully do something to you as opposed to an overweight gentleman in his 60s. No prejudice here, it’s just the facts. Just like how security system signs and visible cameras deter criminals, as their logic is ‘the easier the better’.

That being said, I still don’t get these threads. I’d never buy a watch if I was scared to wear it. If you break down the statistics, I’m fairly certain about 90% of these posters current location is as bad as or worse than wherever they’re traveling (crime wise), it’s simply the fact it’s not familiar to them which gets people spooked. If you want to break it down, a thief is more likely to go after your iPhone as opposed to a watch he doesn’t even know the brand of (assuming he’s not aware).

Not trying to ruffle any feathers, just my opinion. You hear these examples like above (the 2 APs in Spain) because the bad things are always exploited, but how many MILLIONS of tourists travel to Barcelona per year without anything happening? And not to place blame, but over half the examples I always see get brought up will also include something along the lines of ‘was drinking and it was the middle of the night’.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 02:05 AM   #32
RedwinGV
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smstr 600m BigBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
I think another underplayed factor on these threads, is your physical appearance. If you’re 20s/30s and athletically built, somebody is going to think twice about trying to forcefully do something to you as opposed to an overweight gentleman in his 60s. No prejudice here, it’s just the facts. Just like how security system signs and visible cameras deter criminals, as their logic is ‘the easier the better’.

That being said, I still don’t get these threads. I’d never buy a watch if I was scared to wear it. If you break down the statistics, I’m fairly certain about 90% of these posters current location is as bad as or worse than wherever they’re traveling (crime wise), it’s simply the fact it’s not familiar to them which gets people spooked. If you want to break it down, a thief is more likely to go after your iPhone as opposed to a watch he doesn’t even know the brand of (assuming he’s not aware).

Not trying to ruffle any feathers, just my opinion. You hear these examples like above (the 2 APs in Spain) because the bad things are always exploited, but how many MILLIONS of tourists travel to Barcelona per year without anything happening? And not to place blame, but over half the examples I always see get brought up will also include something along the lines of ‘was drinking and it was the middle of the night’.
I see your point, but there are professional pic pockets in dense tourism areas. Sightseeing in the middle of the Vatican or on Santorini is a different situation than walking through a shopping mall or some downtown. One can get ripped off anywhere, but one would be foolish to think that the odds of an event is the same everywhere. Granted, if the odds are like 0.001% vs 0.1%, the odds are still small. But if there are 1000 people "in the crowd," one of them would get picked.

Personally, even though I'm the one that asked, if one takes proper cautions, one should be ok. It's just that IMO, maybe watch thieves know some magic to lift it off ones wrist. At this point, I'm still in the camp that for the thief, there's less risk with going after a wallet than a watch... regardless of said value. But truly, I just don't know.. and that's why I'm asking.
Old 22 May 2018, 02:42 AM   #33
jatco
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116233/79190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrakot View Post
You will be fine in Rome and Civitavecchia .You should be more careful in Naples and Sicily ports.
I'm pretty sure that on cruise passengers wrists will be a lot of watches like on pic below)

Attachment 952917
Where's that pic taken....??
Um.. decisions decisions....

' A Crown for every achievement '
jatco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 02:51 AM   #34
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:

probably... 6'5 nearly late 30's and the people working for charity organizations soliciting donations on the street never even bother me and they hit up everyone
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 03:07 AM   #35
Case61

The cruise itself shouldn't be an issue, but for the ports a distinction needs to be drawn between safety and getting robbed. Italy and Greece generally are hugely safe places, and even Naples is probably way safer than the average American city. On the other hand, nonviolent pick-pocketry (including removing a watch from the mark's wrist) is a high art there. Not a huge concern, but being situationally aware is always a good thing.

Have a great time, as I'm sure you will. We'll look forward to travel pics.

Case61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 03:12 AM   #36
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
probably... 6'5 nearly late 30's and the people working for charity organizations soliciting donations on the street never even bother me and they hit up everyone
It’s true, 100%. The only people who say it isn’t, are people who don’t fit into mentioned ‘masculine’ aesthetic. And I say that as being athletic, but by no means an intimidating type whatsoever at only 6’0.

Flat out, if I were with my 6’6 football type buddies in europe.....I’d walk around ANYWHERE at 3am, even completely hammered. With same said friends, I wouldn’t walk around in a TON of places in America, because I don’t care how big you are if opposing party is packing heat
Old 22 May 2018, 03:41 AM   #37
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Good idea to wear high end watches on European Cruise?

Just don’t draw undue attention to yourself and you’ll be fine — don’t wander, stay with the crowd - and all is well.

And make sure any watches you bring are insured. The only ‘thing’ I think about jewelry wise is my wife’s wedding set — it is not replaceable - sentimentally.

Sometimes we just leave our ‘stuff’ locked up during excursions when on trips.

Have fun!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 03:49 AM   #38
cruise_bone
"TRF" Member

Don't talk to locals who come up to you to ask for directions, to beg for cash, whatever.
Ignore them and move on in a quick fashion. The point of them engaging you is to Distract so that their partner can rip you off.

It's fine for you to Engage locals but generally you should be very suspect of locals who try to engage you. Unless they are store owners, restaurant owners, wait staff, etc.
cruise_bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 03:50 AM   #39
Terrakot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex LVc/BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by jatco View Post
Where's that pic taken....??
Um.. decisions decisions....
Grey retailer in Rome. Daytona C for 17300, LVc 11300 etc.
Old 22 May 2018, 03:58 AM   #40
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruise_bone View Post
Don't talk to locals who come up to you to ask for directions, to beg for cash, whatever.
Ignore them and move on in a quick fashion. The point of them engaging you is to Distract so that their partner can rip you off.

It's fine for you to Engage locals but generally you should be very suspect of locals who try to engage you. Unless they are store owners, restaurant owners, wait staff, etc.
if they offer candy... run

current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 22 May 2018, 04:04 AM   #41
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayerische View Post
It’s Europe you are visiting, not Mogadishu.
Agreed.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 07:03 AM   #42
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
Agreed.

Europe is much safer than the US. (No one has ever bothered me in Europe, in the US on the other hand...)

Sh*t happens everywhere.

OP, take whatever watch and enjoy your European Cruise.
Old 22 May 2018, 07:11 AM   #43
RedwinGV
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It’s Europe you are visiting, not Mogadishu.
Uh, sure. But I've read many a time about how stealthy the Pic-pockets are. Likely a big generalization, but then again, that's why am asking. My concern wasn't so much about getting mugged. Guess I should have made that more clear.

And, like I mentioned above, I'm fairly street smart. But that doesn't mean I'm adept with fending off highly skilled pic-pockets... if they're present. Some, I'm told, are dang near magicians. Deception/distractions can do wonders.
Old 22 May 2018, 07:17 AM   #44
run23
"TRF" Member

Good idea to wear high end watches on European Cruise?

You’ll probably see a greater concentration of high end watches on your cruise than you will in most places in the US.

Don’t worry about it, and just take the same precautions with yourself as you would in any other place in the developed world.
run23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 08:18 AM   #45
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedwinGV View Post
Uh, sure. But I've read many a time about how stealthy the Pic-pockets are. Likely a big generalization, but then again, that's why am asking. My concern was so much about getting mugged. Guess I should have made that more clear.

And, like I mentioned above, I'm fairly street smart. But that doesn't mean I'm adept with fending off highly skilled pic-pockets... if they're present. Some, I'm told, are dang near magicians. Deception/distractions can do wonders.
Fairly street smart should be enough. Lots of scam artists as well besides pick pockets . Just be smarter than them. Never stopped me wearing any of my Rolex
Old 22 May 2018, 08:49 AM   #46
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:

Europe is much safer than the US. (No one has ever bothered me in Europe, in the US on the other hand...)

Sh*t happens everywhere.

OP, take whatever watch and enjoy your European Cruise.
It's quite insulting that every two weeks an American will start a thread, "I'm leaving America, will my watch be safe."

Can't be any crime or violence in America....Oh, wait.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 08:59 AM   #47
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It's quite insulting that every two weeks an American will start a thread, "I'm leaving America, will my watch be safe."

I’m American and I approve this comment

It’s kind of true though...I know so many people who’ve never visited anywhere but the 50 states (and maybe the Caribbean but that doesn’t even count) who honestly view Europe as the Wild West. I kind of facepalm at some of the things I hear them talk about regarding travel, but it is what it is.

None of my New York, LA or Miami friends would say ‘make sure you wear long sleeves when walking the streets here, don’t want to attract attention to your watch!’.....yet when an American visits a comparable city in Europe it’s a different story? Right
Old 22 May 2018, 09:07 AM   #48
RedwinGV
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’m American and I approve this comment

It’s kind of true though...I know so many people who’ve never visited anywhere but the 50 states (and maybe the Caribbean but that doesn’t even count) who honestly view Europe as the Wild West. I kind of facepalm at some of the things I hear them talk about regarding travel, but it is what it is.

None of my New York, LA or Miami friends would say ‘make sure you wear long sleeves when walking the streets here, don’t want to attract attention to your watch!’.....yet when an American visits a comparable city in Europe it’s a different story? Right.
Not the issue for me. Focus on pic pockets. I won't take this thread OT to talk about general European safety.
Old 22 May 2018, 09:11 AM   #49
RedwinGV
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Isn't a fair question? One usually knows the environs where one lives so appropriate caution can be taken. So what's the harm in asking?

For example, I live in Metro Detroit. I recently went to a baseball game in downtown Detroit. I knew I would be walking a few blocks from the park to my vehicle. So yeah, I thought about what I would be wearing on my wrist. And yes, I put on a less costly watch--- for that reason.

So yes, I find it quite appropriate and actually responsible to ask about these things in areas that one isn't familiar with. Sorry if you or others are offended, but really you shouldn't be. Instead promote how safe it is.. if it is. Wouldn't that be a plus for all?
Old 22 May 2018, 09:24 AM   #50
Brew
"TRF" Member

These threads ask, "I'm going someplace new that is outside of my comfort zone. Will someone with experience help me decide if I should bring X with me?"

If you de-personalize the ask, it's not unreasonable in the context of this forum and its diverse membership.

I asked about sand at the beach, . . . .
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 11:51 AM   #51
rolehex

When visiting Barcelona...I'd keep the watch on the boat in the safe. My cents.
rolehex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 11:56 AM   #52
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
I'd be more worried about wearing one of my watches in London than any of the ports the OP is visiting.

OP, as said above take one fine watch and wear it most, if not all, of the time. That's what I do on a cruise or any other holiday. I take my G-Shock too.

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 12:06 PM   #53
jatco

Watch: 116233/79190
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolehex View Post
When visiting Barcelona...I'd keep the watch on the boat in the safe. My cents.
Really..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud Van Driver View Post
I'd be more worried about wearing one of my watches in London than any of the ports the OP is visiting.

OP, as said above take one fine watch and wear it most, if not all, of the time. That's what I do on a cruise or any other holiday. I take my G-Shock too.
Often I travel with 2. My Tudor when ashore or on land (at a resort..ie..) and my DJ on board...(or in the safe at a resort) when not on my wrist.
Many worry too much ........imo

' A Crown for every achievement '
jatco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 01:01 PM   #54
run23
"TRF" Member

Without trying to insult the people asking these questions (I know they are sincerely looking for advice), I can see how the questions are annoying. Europe is big, major European and world cities are big and filled with people with nice watches and smartphones that get by just find day-to-day. I mean, isn’t the answer always the same(?!): just use common sense.

If someone asked me if it were safe to wear a Rolex in NYC, the answer is obviously yes as there are at least thousands or tens of thousand of people wearing fancy watches and not getting attacked. But of course there are parts of the city one shouldn’t wander around blindly, nice watch or not, just as there are common sense things to do in a place like Barcelona (for example) to avoid getting jumped. Scary news stories are about people getting jumped don’t mean anything without actual data to demonstrate that wearing a nice watch somewhere is actually a risk. A couple robberies in city filled with millions of people isn’t persuasive evidence of anything.

[Why do I feel like I’ll now get some sort of cosmic retribution and get mugged for my watch the next time I leave the country ]
run23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 01:20 PM   #55
RedwinGV
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by run23 View Post
Without trying to insult the people asking these questions (I know they are sincerely looking for advice), I can see how the questions are annoying. Europe is big, major European and world cities are big and filled with people with nice watches and smartphones that get by just find day-to-day. I mean, isn’t the answer always the same(?!): just use common sense.

If someone asked me if it were safe to wear a Rolex in NYC, the answer is obviously yes as there are at least thousands or tens of thousand of people wearing fancy watches and not getting attacked. But of course there are parts of the city one shouldn’t wander around blindly, nice watch or not, just as there are common sense things to do in a place like Barcelona (for example) to avoid getting jumped. Scary news stories are about people getting jumped don’t mean anything without actual data to demonstrate that wearing a nice watch somewhere is actually a risk. A couple robberies in city filled with millions of people isn’t persuasive evidence of anything.

[Why do I feel like I’ll now get some sort of cosmic retribution and get mugged for my watch the next time I leave the country ]
I think my issue is that being on a cruise, one visits the tourist spots. IMO, that's different than strolling around Manhattan, London, etc. I guess that's the danger of posting... one needs to communicate well, and I can see where I wasn't specific enough. I mean, IMO (wrong??) Rome is different than visiting the Vatican or Coliseum. Athens is different than the Acroplis. Pompei is different than walking through Naples (yes I know they are miles apart)....

And for some more balance, San Fran is different from Fisherman's wharf, etc. I think one can get my point. Still, some higher tourist areas may still be fairly safe. Take the Vegas Strip during reasonable hours. In spite of the potential, it's pretty safe. From other web sites, I got the impression that the European cruise ports MAY have some issues. So I asked likely watch owners what their take is on it. Here's hoping all of our watches stay on our wrists and come off when we want them to.
Old 22 May 2018, 07:09 PM   #56
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I'm another american who approves this sentiment. Lets get back to hotel recommendations, where the AD's are located, and itinerary planning tips.

Old 23 May 2018, 05:11 AM   #57
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Quote:
It’s true, 100%. The only people who say it isn’t, are people who don’t fit into mentioned ‘masculine’ aesthetic. And I say that as being athletic, but by no means an intimidating type whatsoever at only 6’0.

Flat out, if I were with my 6’6 football type buddies in europe.....I’d walk around ANYWHERE at 3am, even completely hammered. With same said friends, I wouldn’t walk around in a TON of places in America, because I don’t care how big you are if opposing party is packing heat

I’m not going to say I disagree. I mean, obviously, you’re not going to intentionally pick a fight with someone who looks like they can handle themselves, but below is a pic of me and the in-laws last year at the Vatican.
None of us had any issues in Sorrento (walking around streets 2am), ischia, Amalfi coast, Rome airport, Rome, Rome train station and we had some vulnerable people - my wife was pregnant, in laws are getting older and I’m just a little guy at 5’10”

OP I say take it. As I said, we had no problem. Just stay heads up. I wouldn’t even bother talking with potential “street” people.

Old 23 May 2018, 05:31 AM   #58
mannyv11
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD,Sub,GMT,Daytona
Just get the watch insured before your trip and leave it on your wrist the entire time.
Be aware like you should be in all countries and you will be fine.
mannyv11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2018, 06:03 AM   #59
Peter99
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LN & 214270
I have recently returned from a Cunard cruise and I took my SubC with date and Exp 39mm.

I wore my the Sub on the ship but whilst ashore on port visits it was the Exp 39mm.
With short sleeves I thought it was not quite so obvious Rolex.

PS Yes, I went Queens Grill! Fantastic! It was ‘dress-up’ for all evenings plus a few tux evenings. Another world!
Peter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2018, 07:18 AM   #60
SDRider
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116613LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogdogg View Post
I would wear mine but like anywhere just be conscious of your surroundings and who is around you and you will be fine. A lot of the places you will visit do have professional thieves who target people to try to steal from them but as with any thief/bully etc. they tend to only go for the people who make it the easy for them.

Also, if it were me I would bring only 1 watch travelling and wear it all the time.
Agreed. If it's on your wrist it will be the most secure. I wouldn't leave it in your cabin.
SDRider is offline   Reply With Quote