The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 19 June 2007, 07:53 PM   #1
worktolivelife
"TRF" Member

Any Panerai Strap "Experts"

got my eye set on one of "Gregs" Norween love the thick casual look is there any issue with comfort/stiffness. ordering the 80/130 on a 7" wrist right? want it with as much tail as possible, so i'm guessing it would be on the 1st hole, with a nice length to tuck into the keeper.
How about the "Santa Croce" line leather any softer.
Did Consider simona I think I'm right they are also 5mm THICK but didn't seem as chunky in the picks also more of a "worn" look to the vintage leather.
Appreciate any feedback never tried or seen any in the 'Flesh"!!!

cheers

steve
[BTW looking for something in black thought it would compliment the 249 vintage black dial more]
Old 19 June 2007, 09:14 PM   #2
amanda
Banned

Hey

I've seen a lightly worn Greg black Horween and it was just gorgeous, nice and buttery like in texture and a top strap. I've also got a Crazy Horse with white stitch and a Historic Brown. Both are brilliant straps.

If in doubt about the length and hole positioning, make sure you tell Greg about this.. he'll help you achieve the right fit/tail.

Never seen or had a Simona, but have only heard good things about them.
amanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2007, 10:02 PM   #3
hutchman
"TRF" Member

Watch: All things Patek
I have two Greg CH straps and a Simona. Without a doubt I prefer the Simona. But if you're looking for something exceptional checkout zeugmastraps.com His service is fantastic and emails pictures of the finished straps for confirmation before shipping.

Warren Buffett
hutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2007, 10:08 PM   #4
amanda
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutchman View Post
I have two Greg CH straps and a Simona. Without a doubt I prefer the Simona. But if you're looking for something exceptional checkout zeugmastraps.com His service is fantastic and emails pictures of the finished straps for confirmation before shipping.
Thanks for that link hutchman, I'm checking it out now... need some 22mm straps now
Old 19 June 2007, 10:31 PM   #5
hutchman
"TRF" Member

Watch: All things Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by worktolivelife View Post
[BTW looking for something in black thought it would compliment the 249 vintage black dial more]
I guess I didn't read far enough. I'm incredibly jealous, I've been waiting for a 249 for over a year now on two AD lists. BTW the zeugma looks awesome on my 232. Maybe you should send the 249 to me and I'll tell you which strap looks best!

Warren Buffett
hutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2007, 11:49 PM   #6
miner
"TRF" Member

My .02

My wrist is also just under 7". I found the best fit for me is 125 x 80 and I wear the strap with a hole punched 66mm from the lug end. All of the strap makers will do this for you, they are a great bunch. So typically the strap will come with 5 holes and I'll ask for the third to be punched at 66mm with two on either side

I'm a great fan of Zeugma Straps, their leathers are very "earthy", the straps are thick and their hand stitching is fantastic.

I have also just recently picked up a couple of straps from Scot Salmon, very nice leather and fantastic hand stitch as well.

I have a black Greg Horween 130 x 80. The leather is pretty supple for a 5mm thick strap. I haven't worn it much because the tail is a fraction too long for my liking. I prefer the tail to stop under my wrist.

Here's a couple of pics of the strap box

The Greg Horween is top middle, 2nd strap down. The Scot Salmon is top right, 4th strap down.

Here's another pic:

The two Zeugma Straps are mounted on the watches.

Then there's Micah and Delaurian and Gabo and JSwing....

The great thing about straps is there is a very active market for them so if you get one you don't like they are very easy to trade.

Have fun!

miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2007, 12:12 AM   #7
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Hey Steve, hope you are well bro!!

I think everyone has mentioned some great strap options, for black I would strongly consider Simona or Micah. But if you want true vintage specs and look, go no further than Kevin and BigB original and true AMMO pouch strap.

Cut to true vintage specs of the Frogmen, 160x110 and looks the mutts nu**s IMHO.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2007, 05:56 PM   #8
worktolivelife
"TRF" Member

THANKS!! for the info guys, "zeugma straps" looks interesting next time!
spoke with both greg and simona ordering a couple of custom ones after speaking, kinda cool to be able to get it just so!.
think i'm gonna be happy!. can anyone tell me what the primary differences are between the 2 out the box with regard leather look/stiffness/ wearability
suppose i can just wait and see but real curious simonas leathers are more vintage looking/strong patina i think

cheers all
Old 27 June 2007, 06:06 PM   #9
worktolivelife
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miner View Post
My .02

My wrist is also just under 7". I found the best fit for me is 125 x 80 and I wear the strap with a hole punched 66mm from the lug end. All of the strap makers will do this for you, they are a great bunch. So typically the strap will come with 5 holes and I'll ask for the third to be punched at 66mm with two on either side

I'm a great fan of Zeugma Straps, their leathers are very "earthy", the straps are thick and their hand stitching is fantastic.

I have also just recently picked up a couple of straps from Scot Salmon, very nice leather and fantastic hand stitch as well.

I have a black Greg Horween 130 x 80. The leather is pretty supple for a 5mm thick strap. I haven't worn it much because the tail is a fraction too long for my liking. I prefer the tail to stop under my wrist.

Here's a couple of pics of the strap box

The Greg Horween is top middle, 2nd strap down. The Scot Salmon is top right, 4th strap down.

Here's another pic:

The two Zeugma Straps are mounted on the watches.

Then there's Micah and Delaurian and Gabo and JSwing....

The great thing about straps is there is a very active market for them so if you get one you don't like they are very easy to trade.

Have fun!

Hi miner!,

just checked out Zeugma Straps again nice website missed a lot the 1st time got some real nice vintage possibilities for a custom piece

steve
Old 27 June 2007, 06:19 PM   #10
amanda
Banned

Geeez miner thats quite a strap collection.. I'm back to square 1 now since I downsized my wtch to 40mm.. I've got an HKTan Tan Pangolin (like anteater) coming cant wait for that.. I'm thinking seriously of getting a strapcode/taikanaut stingray too for it.. I'm going a bit more bling on the strap front now.... however the 24mm Greg Crazy Horse has been squished onto the 48 since I got the watch, it wears GREAT on it.. so much more comfy with the smaller watch sitting lower on my wrist.. best move I made!
Old 27 June 2007, 06:24 PM   #11
walds11
"TRF" Member

Nice strap collection Miner.
walds11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2007, 10:07 PM   #12
miner
"TRF" Member

Hey Amanda and Walds11
Just spent some time swapping shoes and watches for tomorrow and settled on the Crazy Horse on the 112. Nice combo.
miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2007, 10:23 PM   #13
Alex Stylianou
"TRF" Member

There Is A PLace In Old Bond Street called watches of switzerland , they stock parts , try them .
Alex Stylianou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2007, 10:23 PM   #14
Alex Stylianou
"TRF" Member

Thats In London .
Alex Stylianou is offline   Reply With Quote