The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 30 December 2005, 05:35 AM   #31
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic
Yeah, but you say 'how can I justify a $9000 watch on a museum salary?' Well, I'd argue the same way you can have a TT YM AND an ExpII. Didn't the YM cost $7000? Really, a $2000 difference in price is splitting hairs, so the 'museum salary' theory doesn't fly.

JJ, we're just looking out for you. I honestly think the Breitling will go the way of the Railmaster and the Planet Ocean. It's a passing fancy and we all know you too well to know that you'll continue to lust after that TT Daytona. You're not 'satiated' to use your word.
Hmmmmm....you must remember that I could only "afford" the expensive TT YM after selling off TWO good Rollies - the TT Blue Sub and the SD!!!

In case of the TT Daytona, I definitely don't plan on getting rid of anything. Even, as you put it, if I do sell my Crosswind what can I expect to get and then how do I come up with huge pending balance to buy the TT Daytona?

Very difficult proposition....but let's just lie low for now and ride with the tide so to speak!! Who knows what tomorrow brings??

Meanwhile, I can enjoy all three babies and also the wonderful company and fun we are having on this forum!!

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2005, 05:44 AM   #32
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
JJ you are an enigma.

Member #10
Uncle-AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2005, 06:01 AM   #33
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle-AJ
JJ you are an enigma.
Come on, Adrian, what's so puzzling about grabbing an opportunity that comes knocking on your door?

I saw the watch, I liked the white dial and the Romans, I liked the shiny Pilot bracelet and its superb satin finish and the "too good to be true" price was just what it was - too good to be true!!!

Seriously, under normal circumstances and with the price that Mansor was offering the same watch for (NZ$5,200), I wouldn't have touched it with a barge pole. However, when we are talking a HUGE difference of NZ$1,700 between two ADs who are literally within a stone's throw of each other....tell me, what would you have done?

Seriously, I would have been STUPID to have passed it up!! It was the only Crosswind in the store and the only one going for that ridiculously low price!

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 30 December 2005, 06:50 AM   #34
----

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani
Come on, Adrian, what's so puzzling about grabbing an opportunity that comes knocking on your door?

Hmmmm, I think you are just.......

LOL!
Old 30 December 2005, 08:35 AM   #35
baseballduck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
Oh yea JJ, I forgot to add that you got a great deal on it too. Your right on the TT Daytona. 9 grand is a helluva lot for a watch. Look on the bright side though. If you end up flipping this you can probably get more out of it then you paid because of the sale. BTW, what else did they have on sale in that case?

Tyler
Member #84
baseballduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2005, 10:10 AM   #36
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballduck
Oh yea JJ, I forgot to add that you got a great deal on it too. Your right on the TT Daytona. 9 grand is a helluva lot for a watch. Look on the bright side though. If you end up flipping this you can probably get more out of it then you paid because of the sale. BTW, what else did they have on sale in that case?

Tyler
Thanks, Tyler...you're a good boy!!

Well, they had a couple of other Breitlings, a few OMEGA Speedies, a solid gold IWC on original strap and a Royal Oak. All the watches were marked down, but the one that really caught my eye was the Crosswind and the rest, as they say, is history!!

Last edited by JJ Irani; 30 December 2005 at 10:12 AM..
Old 30 December 2005, 11:02 AM   #37
JIM-
Banned

Enjoy you new chrono JJ, looks like a very nice watch indeed.
JIM- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2005, 02:03 PM   #38
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM
Enjoy you new chrono JJ, looks like a very nice watch indeed.
Thanks, Jim....I can now understand why so many get excited over a Chronograph!!

Old 30 December 2005, 02:03 PM   #39
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
Hmmmm, I think you are just.......

LOL!
LOL!! Al, now that is quite funny!!!

Old 30 December 2005, 11:45 PM   #40
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Thanks, Jim....I can now understand why so many get excited over a Chronograph!!
Not to burst your bubble, JJ, but what you will find over time is that the chrono function will get very little use. Don't get me wrong, I still love chronos, but I hardly ever use that function on any of my chronos, and believe me, I have at least 10 of them. For me, it's just knowing I've got something with a lot of complications (which drives Arleen crazy. She thinks I'm nuts for liking complicated machinery - it's just more things to go wrong, in her opinion. )

You mentioned in another post getting used to the chrono second hand that you confuse with the watch minute hand. What I will sometimes do, especially on the Breitling, which has the large chrono second hand, is to start the chrono on the zero second time signal and use that hand as the main second hand, similar to the large second hand function on my Rolexes.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2005, 08:05 PM   #41
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

Wow, been away for a bit visiting family over the holidays and come back to find this thread.

I used to like breitling, but not much these days. Really liked their bullet-band, but they stopped making it. But JJ, the important thing is that YOU like the watch and YOU are happy with the purchase.

The TT Daytona is a nice watch and I know how you like TT watches. Can you not get a TT Daytona at a better price than $9000? Maybe pre-owned or discounted? You know TT watches even Rolex do not hold their re-sale like SS. So there are deals to be had.

If you wear the breitling, it will be harder to sell later, especially with the polished band that shows scratches. And they are not known for their resale either. A good price is a good price, but maybe this is a money making opportunity for you to sell and to save up towards the TT Daytona?

You know what mistake watches are like. (I'm sure we all do)

But after the new watch buzz wears off, will you really reach for the breitling over the other Rolex watches you own? Or will you just long to put back on a Rolex when you wear your crosswind? I thought somewhere before you said you were only a two watch guy, not sure how the breitling fits into the picture.

I do not write any of this to bust your balls. I write because it is still not too late to get out of the breitling while it is LNIB.

JJ, it is up to you, maybe I'm very wrong, but do not think you will give up on the TT daytona that easily. Just not seeing you wear a breitling over the rolexes you already own.

But in the end it is up to you. If you do keep the breitling, I hope I am wrong and that you will get many years off wonderful enjoyment out of it. Good luck.
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2006, 03:55 AM   #42
kingblackbolt
"TRF" Member

JJ,

That is a very nice chrono, the look of it is bold and classic with the roman numerals and white face... if you are happy with the deal you made with it then that is good enough for you and I hope you enjoy your new toy. I also had an big interest in Breitlings as well but I was uncertain about resale value and could not find a deal on par with your super-duper discount!
Enjoy your last 2005 aquisition I'm sure there'll be more in 2006 based on your track record for last year... :)

“Hail to the king, baby" Ash (Army of Darkness 1992)
kingblackbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2006, 03:57 AM   #43
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. K
Wow, been away for a bit visiting family over the holidays and come back to find this thread.

I used to like breitling, but not much these days. Really liked their bullet-band, but they stopped making it. But JJ, the important thing is that YOU like the watch and YOU are happy with the purchase.

The TT Daytona is a nice watch and I know how you like TT watches. Can you not get a TT Daytona at a better price than $9000? Maybe pre-owned or discounted? You know TT watches even Rolex do not hold their re-sale like SS. So there are deals to be had.

If you wear the breitling, it will be harder to sell later, especially with the polished band that shows scratches. And they are not known for their resale either. A good price is a good price, but maybe this is a money making opportunity for you to sell and to save up towards the TT Daytona?

You know what mistake watches are like. (I'm sure we all do)

But after the new watch buzz wears off, will you really reach for the breitling over the other Rolex watches you own? Or will you just long to put back on a Rolex when you wear your crosswind? I thought somewhere before you said you were only a two watch guy, not sure how the breitling fits into the picture.

I do not write any of this to bust your balls. I write because it is still not too late to get out of the breitling while it is LNIB.

JJ, it is up to you, maybe I'm very wrong, but do not think you will give up on the TT daytona that easily. Just not seeing you wear a breitling over the rolexes you already own.

But in the end it is up to you. If you do keep the breitling, I hope I am wrong and that you will get many years off wonderful enjoyment out of it. Good luck.
Nice post, Mark....thanks.

Well, a couple of things....I ONLY believe in brand-new. Used TT Daytonas I have not seen in Auckland (you must remember this is a very small market), and a brand new one is listed at NZ$ 18,600...so after discounting quite heavily, I'd still have to dole out NZ$13,200 or thereabouts which comes to US$ 9,000 approx.

Anyway, I really am not sure what to do. Every member in my family does like the new Crosswind. It's BIG (43 mm) which is something I love, quite thick and very heavy. It has the important DATE function (very easy to read) and the dial is attractive. I also find the polished Pilot bracelet very beautiful and wide with an interlug spacing of 22 mm as against the normal 20 mm for most other watches.

With me, of course, only time will tell!!

Old 1 January 2006, 04:09 AM   #44
kingblackbolt
"TRF" Member

If you seriously want to unload that Brietling then please let me know... we'll see what kind of deal we can work out... if I can get an even better deal than you got I would have no regrets whatsoever... no joke!

Old 1 January 2006, 04:18 AM   #45
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingblackbolt
If you seriously want to unload that Brietling then please let me know... we'll see what kind of deal we can work out... if I can get an even better deal than you got I would have no regrets whatsoever... no joke!

LOL! Thanks, Ren....but I think I'll pass up this one. For starters, it would be tough to send it across to you all the way in Ontario and secondly, the local taxes at your end would kill you!!

Old 1 January 2006, 04:24 AM   #46
kingblackbolt
"TRF" Member

Too true it is a bit of a problem that you are on the opposite end of the planet... too bad.
Hope you enjoy your new baby and no matter what anyone else says at least it isn't orange!

Old 1 January 2006, 04:30 AM   #47
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Quote:
Nice post, Mark....thanks.

Well, a couple of things....I ONLY believe in brand-new. Used TT Daytonas I have not seen in Auckland (you must remember this is a very small market), and a brand new one is listed at NZ$ 18,600...so after discounting quite heavily, I'd still have to dole out NZ$13,200 or thereabouts which comes to US$ 9,000 approx.

Anyway, I really am not sure what to do. Every member in my family does like the new Crosswind. It's BIG (43 mm) which is something I love, quite thick and very heavy. It has the important DATE function (very easy to read) and the dial is attractive. I also find the polished Pilot bracelet very beautiful and wide with an interlug spacing of 22 mm as against the normal 20 mm for most other watches.

With me, of course, only time will tell!!
Okay JJ, here is my take on this whole deal, not that you asked, LOL!!!

What is there to think about. You got your balls busted for some comments from the past, but it was all in fun. You have got a watch thta is very different from your others, if you wear it once a week, four times a week or once a month it will always be a nice change of pace. I like having that ability.

That is why I am always trying to find a third brand that I like, variety is the spice of life!!!!!

BTW/ I have another 3rd brand watch coming in, traded away the Pam Logo that I had for all of a week. Hopefully this one will be the missing third wheel. But if it is not, so what, I will just keep looking.

You did well with that find JJ, as long as you are happy, then I am very happy for you!!

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2006, 04:39 AM   #48
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Thanks, Daren....yes, I like it 'cause it's different from the Rollies....totally different. The white dial and Romans are superb looking as is the Pilot bracelet...lots of bling even for an all SS watch!!

Old 1 January 2006, 04:40 AM   #49
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
Thanks, Daren....yes, I like it 'cause it's different from the Rollies....totally different. The white dial and Romans are superb looking as is the Pilot bracelet...lots of bling even for an all SS watch!!
The new one I have coming Tuesday has LOTS of bling for a SS.

Old 1 January 2006, 04:42 AM   #50
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman
The new one I have coming Tuesday has LOTS of bling for a SS.
You know I'm a man of little patience... Can't wait to see it!!

Old 1 January 2006, 04:42 AM   #51
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
You know I'm a man of little patience... Can't wait to see it!!
Just multiply that by 10000000 and you know how I feel.