The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 20 April 2016, 12:15 PM   #1
Nobody.Move
"TRF" Member

Need help with this President watch; apologies for horrid pics!

Like I said, the pics I received from the seller are absolutely lousy, so fair warning!

If anyone can offer their opinion on authenticity (or lack thereof) and ref number (1803?), I'd be most appreciative.

The current owner (children of the deceased original owner) do not have any papers/receipts, and they don't want to remove the non-Rolex bracelet/band, so I'm in the dark re: SN and Ref#. They claim to have taken the watch to an experienced jeweler who authenticated the watch (I'm trying to get that jeweler's number to have a dialog about the watch).

Pics can be viewed here:
http://s844.photobucket.com/user/_No...w/Rolex%201803
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (107.5 KB, 253 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (106.6 KB, 263 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (87.4 KB, 261 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (73.3 KB, 262 views)
File Type: jpg rolex5.jpg (113.7 KB, 264 views)
Nobody.Move is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2016, 12:17 PM   #2
jacko1
Banned

need better pics there really blurry
jacko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2016, 12:55 PM   #3
andromeda160
Banned

Watch: Rolex Oyster
Looks like an 1803 to me, should be fine
andromeda160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2016, 01:00 PM   #4
southtexas
2024 Pledge Member

Looks like 1803 (pie pan dial), dial "date" looks redone but very possibly just pic angles/crystal distortion. Not sure about bracelet, need expert opinion. In short, get some better pics, and someone can help you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2016, 01:34 PM   #5
omitohud
"TRF" Member

I'm not too fond of the bracelet 🤔. Ask for better pics.

I blame it on the autoconnect.
omitohud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2016, 02:31 PM   #6
mdw3
"TRF" Member

Appears to be an authentic 1803 yellow gold Day-Date head with an aftermarket band of indeterminate metallic content.

Michael
mdw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2016, 05:07 AM   #7
Nobody.Move
"TRF" Member

@jacko1; @omitohud

It was like pulling teeth to get the existing pics, so I’m stuck with these unfortunately.

In a follow-up text message to me the seller freely acknowledged (unprovoked) that the bracelet was a non-Rolex replacement. The way in which this info was revealed makes me somewhat confident in their honesty, and the watch-head being legit.
Old 21 April 2016, 05:16 AM   #8
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

Looks like a fairly decent 1803 on a really bad fake bracelet, so bad it makes my teeth itch wondering what damage it's done between the lugs.

The sellers seem incredibly lazy, can't be bothered to get the bracelet removed for what I assume is a multi-thousand dollar sale? That part bothers me the most.
Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2016, 05:18 AM   #9
Nobody.Move
"TRF" Member

@andromeda160; @southtexas; @mdw3

Appreciate the input, guys. As mentioned in the post above the seller sent me a text message and acknowledged (unprovoked by me) that the bracelet was a non-Rolex replacement. This admittance makes me feel more assured in their honesty, and points me in the direction that the watch-head is legit. I’m also feeling better about the 1803’s authenticity by your comments as well. Essentially, this is a “high risk/high reward” buying situation so I’m proceeding with the appropriate level of caution. Also, the President watch is not in my wheelhouse so I’ve had to do a lot of reading and picture analysis on-the-fly. The pleasure of the hunt, right?
Old 21 April 2016, 05:24 AM   #10
Nobody.Move
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Carver View Post
Looks like a fairly decent 1803 on a really bad fake bracelet, so bad it makes my teeth itch wondering what damage it's done between the lugs.

The sellers seem incredibly lazy, can't be bothered to get the bracelet removed for what I assume is a multi-thousand dollar sale? That part bothers me the most.
Man, I'm totally with you on all points! It's nerve-racking re: the non-involvement on the seller's side. That said, between ineptitude on one side and fraud on the other, I'm beginning to side with ineptitude.
Old 21 April 2016, 06:09 AM   #11
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody.Move View Post
Man, I'm totally with you on all points! It's nerve-racking re: the non-involvement on the seller's side. That said, between ineptitude on one side and fraud on the other, I'm beginning to side with ineptitude.
LOL. never assume malice when stupidity will suffice.
Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2016, 07:07 AM   #12
irish36
"TRF" Member

Let us know if you pull the trigger. I've been looking at an 1803 myself. You can get a head in very good condition for under $5000, so I hope you are getting a deal on this one given the risk / condition of the piece.
irish36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2016, 08:51 AM   #13
05carbondrz
Banned

The 1803 and other Gold President Models are the One Watch I will not but without the correct Bracelet.Buying One after the fact is going to easily cost 3K maybe more for One not all stretched out.
05carbondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2016, 08:58 AM   #14
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
The head looks ok from what I can see in the pictures. Just make sure their lack of effort is reflected in your offer. You are taking more of a risk if they are not willing to help any more than that.

bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2016, 10:52 AM   #15
Nobody.Move
"TRF" Member

Quote:
LOL!
Old 21 April 2016, 10:58 AM   #16
Nobody.Move
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish36 View Post
Let us know if you pull the trigger. I've been looking at an 1803 myself. You can get a head in very good condition for under $5000, so I hope you are getting a deal on this one given the risk / condition of the piece.
Will do.
I'm not a President watch guy so I need to get this piece at a deep discount in order for me to take the plunge.
Old 21 April 2016, 11:01 AM   #17
Nobody.Move
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05carbondrz View Post
The 1803 and other Gold President Models are the One Watch I will not but without the correct Bracelet.Buying One after the fact is going to easily cost 3K maybe more for One not all stretched out.
Right, so much of the inherent value of the President watch is bound up in the bracelet. Still, I think the 1803 looks pretty spiffy on a leather strap too, so I'd likely source one and call it a day.
Old 21 April 2016, 11:02 AM   #18
Nobody.Move
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdex75 View Post
The head looks ok from what I can see in the pictures. Just make sure their lack of effort is reflected in your offer. You are taking more of a risk if they are not willing to help any more than that.

I'm with you 100%
Old 21 April 2016, 11:05 AM   #19
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Head looks authentic, band does not

Old 21 April 2016, 11:36 AM   #20
southtexas
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Haha funny!!

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2016, 02:56 PM   #21
joeylim
"TRF" Member

Although I am a sucker for Day-Dates, to find the right one comes with a price. Obviously as many have said, the bracelet is definitely replaced. There are no end link ref markers nor the bracelet ref markers usually found at the top corners. So essentially what you have is a Day-Date that only has as much value as a Day-Date with a leather strap. Unless the price is very tempting or on par with a Day-Date with a leather strap, I would look into other options. Besides, the crystal/cyclops/case condition doesn't seem to be in good condition. Personally, I think Gold is a very polarizing metal. If the condition is good, there is nothing like it, but when it is bad it just looks like a bad PVD job. I've seen many good condition 1803's that go just north of $5000. My advice is, regardless of the watch and its condition, buy it from somebody that you can have a lasting relationship. This person seems to be the type that would block you as soon as you buy it. Good luck
joeylim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2016, 01:50 AM   #22
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeylim View Post
Although I am a sucker for Day-Dates, to find the right one comes with a price. Obviously as many have said, the bracelet is definitely replaced. There are no end link ref markers nor the bracelet ref markers usually found at the top corners. So essentially what you have is a Day-Date that only has as much value as a Day-Date with a leather strap. Unless the price is very tempting or on par with a Day-Date with a leather strap, I would look into other options. Besides, the crystal/cyclops/case condition doesn't seem to be in good condition. Personally, I think Gold is a very polarizing metal. If the condition is good, there is nothing like it, but when it is bad it just looks like a bad PVD job. I've seen many good condition 1803's that go just north of $5000. My advice is, regardless of the watch and its condition, buy it from somebody that you can have a lasting relationship. This person seems to be the type that would block you as soon as you buy it. Good luck

Hmm day date bracelets have endlink. Numbers on the inner surface, you need to reminding band to see them, you can never see them in the corners (ears)