The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 21 February 2007, 01:22 PM   #1
Steven79
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
Any reason NOT to buy Panerai??

Hey all, I've been somewhat interested in buying a Panerai (164 or 88 possibly).

I was wondering if you guys could share some insight on the pro's and con's of Panerai watches..?

Size is not an issue. I love the size and look. Im more curious about their reputation, reliability, resale, quality, etc... Any models to avoid? Are the "basic" no date Panerai's a good buy?

Who makes the movements in Panerai watches?

Now that I have a decent foundation of Rolex knowledge, how do the 2 brands compare?

thanks everyone!
Steven79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2007, 02:08 PM   #2
Thurnau
"TRF" Member

Watch: DateJust
To aswer a small part.
Pro: the brand has history and has been around for quite some time. I big watch is fashionable today.
Con: not as easy to find one, some think the big watch is a fad.

I would like to own a lefty model, but in New Orleans I have not seen a Panerai except on a guys wrist once. I think manually winding a watch can be both cool and annoying.
Thurnau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2007, 02:10 PM   #3
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven79 View Post
Hey all, I've been somewhat interested in buying a Panerai (164 or 88 possibly).

I was wondering if you guys could share some insight on the pro's and con's of Panerai watches..?

Size is not an issue. I love the size and look. Im more curious about their reputation, reliability, resale, quality, etc... Any models to avoid? Are the "basic" no date Panerai's a good buy?

Who makes the movements in Panerai watches?

Now that I have a decent foundation of Rolex knowledge, how do the 2 brands compare?

thanks everyone!
Yes, just one!! ROLEX!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2007, 02:13 PM   #4
Steven79
"TRF" Member

Looks like, Panerai only makes one mov't in-house.. the calibre P.2002

Who makes the movements of their other watches?? How do they rate compared to Rolex?
Old 21 February 2007, 02:13 PM   #5
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Watch: can I?
It really depends on the model, year etc as to what value it will hold.
BUT, the bases without dates are very popular, more traditional.
The LOGO versions, base & with seconds are in fairly high demand, but can be found at reasonable prices.
Lefties, really hard to find. Production runs are very low.
The luminors ( with the crown guard) have very easy straps to change.
Radiomirs, a bit tougher, and straps are generally a bit wider.
Quality, from my experience , is as good as any other watch in that price range.
Check our www.paneristi.com in the sales section, to get an idea of pre owned market.
I have a few and extremely happy with them.

Member # 293
Launch Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2007, 03:41 PM   #6
slim
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG DD,SD43,Pam104
I am too very interested in a pam 164, great post steven. Im still on the edge.
slim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2007, 04:52 PM   #7
miner
"TRF" Member

I have a 164, my first and only Pam (at the moment....)

Automatic, with date and based on a Valjoux movement. And its great. One of the few Pam models with full numbers on the dial (compared to sticks). Also has a brushed case with polished bezel and crown guard.

Very comfortable watch to wear slightly heavier than my sd but much bigger in size...

And there a huge range of straps that add to the attraction and comfort. The latest addition to my strap collection, a Micah Copperplate, is like silk.

You have to try one on to really appreciate it.

As far as a comparison goes (Rolex vs Panerai), I'm no expert when it comes to history and watch movements etc. I can just give you a couple of my own thoughts

First up the sd is my daily beater. It goes everywhere and only comes off my wrist when I put the 164 on. Otherwise I never take it off regardless of what I am doing. eg immerse my arm up to the elbow in oily gunk to connect a hose. No worries and I don't worry about knocking it around. I feel I'll break before it does.

Now with the 164 I tend to be more careful, it doesn't feel as tough and is already showing signs of use with a few scratches on the bezel whilst there's not a mark on the sd body. Having said that the 164 is robust (water proof to 100m), don't forget I'm comparing it to a bomb proof sd.

I have a couple of waterproof straps which I'll put on if I know I'm going swimming otherwise I'll take the watch off. I'd hate to dip the 164 plus Micah strap in the oily goo mentioned earlier!! I like the 164 because its big and I can change the look with a strap change, its amazing the difference that makes. I've had the "What! another new watch" comment a couple of times when all I've done is change the strap.

I like Panerai, they are far fewer in number compared to Rolex and I'm looking for another, (112g) a base, manual wind and very simple. They won't displace the sd just make a pleasant change at the week end!

miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2007, 05:19 PM   #8
mamas
"TRF" Member

great post miner! a really interesting read. thank you.
mamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2007, 06:07 PM   #9
walds11
"TRF" Member

"Any reason NOT to buy Panerai??"

They are very addicting :) and so are the straps :)

Check out paneristi.com or the Timezone.com OP forum for a wealth of knowledge.
walds11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2007, 06:23 PM   #10
djemmtee
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV Sub
be careful! they are soooo addicting, im thinking about buying a 111 i now(ofcourse after I pay my large tax bill).

here are some more pics....henry the 164 is a great looking watch, the sides are brushed so its not as blingy. i would also look at the titanium models too.

here are some from my collection:

i love the fact that you can change the straps and it looks and feels like a complete different watch.

good luck,

mike

Instagram: rolexfan69
djemmtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2007, 06:29 PM   #11
slim
"TRF" Member

I want a 44mm panerai, with date and automatic and with a clear caseback. Does that exist? If so what model number so i can check some out! The 111 looks great is it automatic? Maybe we can go deal at an AD together one day. Great pics mike. If i declare bankruptcy its gonna be your fault for taking great pics ahhaha
Old 21 February 2007, 06:42 PM   #12
djemmtee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim View Post
I want a 44mm panerai, with date and automatic and with a clear caseback. Does that exist? If so what model number so i can check some out! The 111 looks great is it automatic? Maybe we can go deal at an AD together one day. Great pics mike. If i declare bankruptcy its gonna be your fault for taking great pics ahhaha
haha im going to an ad in san gabriel valley tommorrow to "possibly" pick up a brand new pam 111 i. i told her i was bringing cash so she better give me a "helluva" deal (its a chinese ad, so they better not charge me tax)

111 is a hand wound movement with a 56 hour reserve....trust me once you go hand wound you wont wanna go back...i find myself winding my 88 just because i was bored.

slim the watch you are looking for does not exist in my limited knowledge of pams. the closest one would be the pam 233:

sandwich dial
clear case back
8 day movement(needs to be wound every 7-8 days)
its also retails over 10k! but worth every penny!

imo the 233 is like the new school daytona(not talking about movment), except they only make around 500 of them...its one of the hardest watches to obtain

Old 21 February 2007, 07:00 PM   #13
slim
"TRF" Member

Dang Mike, Aight ive narrowed it down, to either a 111, 104, 164, 86. hahaahah
Now everyone get your pics up so it can help me decide. Hopefully i land my job this week so i can get one in 2 months! Which AD you heading to tommorrow Mike Hing Wa or Chong hing? I heard they give generous discounts
Old 21 February 2007, 07:05 PM   #14
walds11
"TRF" Member

To the best my knowledge, the only PAMs that have a clear caseback are some chrono models (contemporary models: luminor chrono and radiomir chrono).

Quote:
Old 21 February 2007, 07:06 PM   #15
djemmtee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Now everyone get your pics up so it can help me decide. Hopefully i land my job this week so i can get one in 2 months! Which AD you heading to tommorrow Mike Hing Wa or Chong hing? I heard they give generous discounts

what are your tastes? what is the most important factor for you?

is it:

clear back display?
date feature?
snadwich dial?
automatic?
manual wind?
weight?
brushed metal vs. ss.?

Im going to chong hing...the lady was very nice, she gave me the bottom line over the phone. im gonna grind her for a riva strap and were good!

for your first pam i would recommend the 104 or the 164, I personally like the 104 because its very classy. not too blingy, not too dull, just the right combination.

Old 21 February 2007, 07:06 PM   #16
walds11
"TRF" Member

I like them all :)

Quote:
Old 21 February 2007, 07:45 PM   #17
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:

Who makes the movements of their other watches?? How do they rate compared to Rolex?
Dont read to much into this in-house thing,now although Panerai uses now mainly modified by them inhouse ETA movements.These movements some have been around almost 50 years with very little change.And as reliable and accurate as Rolex or many other high end brand movements today.And a lot of history with the Panerai brand,now dont forget ETA make everything in-house.And sell well over 5 million movements a year,and can assure you that a top grade ETA movement,is better than a sometimes medioca all in-house one

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2007, 07:38 AM   #18
Steven79
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for your tips and information. I think im gonna get a Panerai 112 (Luminor Base Black SS) or a Panerai 164 (Luminor Marina Auto).... one day. =)

They are so damn beautiful to me... sigh...
Old 22 February 2007, 08:20 AM   #19
djemmtee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank you all for your tips and information. I think im gonna get a Panerai 112 (Luminor Base Black SS) or a Panerai 164 (Luminor Marina Auto).... one day. =)

They are so damn beautiful to me... sigh...
the 112 is sooooo beautiful in person! so basic but yet so sophisticated. i love winding my watches now cause of my 176. I would definetly recommend the 112 as your first pam because of the sandwich dial, clear case back, and its a historic piece.

good luck in your search, if you have any questions feel free to ask, TRF has sooo many experienced paneristis that can answer any question.

mike

Old 22 February 2007, 09:48 AM   #20
----

Quote:
Originally Posted by walds11 View Post
To the best my knowledge, the only PAMs that have a clear caseback are some chrono models (contemporary models: luminor chrono and radiomir chrono).
More than just chronographs have the sapphire case back. Here is the 210 I borrowed from Launch Mini a while back and it has the sapphire back:

Old 22 February 2007, 09:53 AM   #21
----

Quote:

They use several sources. For example, the 190 that Launch Mini just bought uses a JLC 8-day movement. His 98 uses an AS movement found in several other alarm/GMT watches. The 210 had a Unitas (ETA) movement.

These are all fine movements and over the month that I had the 210, it was more accurate than my Rolex ever was. I don't think you have anything to worry about with the movements.
Old 22 February 2007, 04:36 PM   #22
ohlins
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by miner View Post
I have a 164, my first and only Pam (at the moment....)

Now with the 164 I tend to be more careful, it doesn't feel as tough and is already showing signs of use with a few scratches on the bezel whilst there's not a mark on the sd body. Having said that the 164 is robust (water proof to 100m), don't forget I'm comparing it to a bomb proof sd.

the 164....just like the 104 is rated to 300m.......:P

the hype is true. a crown for every achievement.
visit my audio and watch blog & how to use the rolex comfort link?
ohlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2007, 04:40 PM   #23
ohlins
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
...........And sell well over 5 million movements a year,and can assure you that a top grade ETA movement,is better than a sometimes medioca all in-house one
hi padi.....would like to know....which movement do u consider to fall within the category of mediocre....

the hype is true. a crown for every achievement.
visit my audio and watch blog & how to use the rolex comfort link?
ohlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2007, 05:17 PM   #24
miner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohlins View Post
the 164....just like the 104 is rated to 300m.......:P
OOPS..

Like I said "I'm no expert"

miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2007, 05:38 PM   #25
veilstylez
"TRF" Member

Coming from two panerais and having sold them both in less than a month....I just dont like how they dont look expensive and more cheap feeling with a not so great movement. To me its just not worth more than 3k for the watch, especially for their movement. I like the steel bracelet ones tho. I dont know...but I rather get another rolex but thats just me. But eventually when I run out of watches to buy I will buy another panerai..a steel one.
veilstylez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2007, 05:41 PM   #26
veilstylez
"TRF" Member

Quote:
slim you should check out the pam90 has power reserve for just a little bit more
veilstylez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2007, 05:46 PM   #27
djemmtee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by veilstylez View Post
slim you should check out the pam90 has power reserve for just a little bit more
the 90 is very nice, its the same price as the 88

Old 22 February 2007, 06:03 PM   #28
walds11
"TRF" Member

Take it from me, the bug always bites you back :)

Quote:
Coming from two panerais and having sold them both in less than a month....I just dont like how they dont look expensive and more cheap feeling with a not so great movement. To me its just not worth more than 3k for the watch, especially for their movement. I like the steel bracelet ones tho. I dont know...but I rather get another rolex but thats just me. But eventually when I run out of watches to buy I will buy another panerai..a steel one.
Old 22 February 2007, 06:33 PM   #29
slim
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What exactly does power reserve do? Is it really worth 800+ more? Do they hold value better? Man im FEEEELINNG the Pam 90 now too. Decisions Decisions. Sigh, salesperson must love me. Once i try it on it has to be mine
Old 22 February 2007, 06:36 PM   #30
djemmtee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What exactly does power reserve do? Is it really worth 800+ more? Do they hold value better? Man im FEEEELINNG the Pam 90 now too. Decisions Decisions. Sigh, salesperson must love me. Once i try it on it has to be mine
its an automatic watch with a power reserve meter that tells you when you need to wind it(if you ever do)...it has the same V7750 as the pam 88 so you get the wobble effect...i love the wobble because it tells me to keep my watch on my mind and not to scratch it.

i think there are less 90's produced than 104's

chong hing has like 12 ss in stock...the chinese must not be feeling them j/k