The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 August 2013, 01:50 PM   #1
Nidal
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC LV
SS YM for 18K, what does that mean to Rolex future pricing?

Considering the movement complexity, which arguably is not much more than the Daytona!(you might not agree), and Taking into consideration that the price touches a Patek(almost). Let's say Daytona heads that way, and it will, and several years later you will see a cerachrom SS Daytona at 18K with a "tweaked" movement and oyster case updates etc.... Will Rolex be able to sell 800K watches a year for that kind of money.

Remember that the once 3K sub prices are touching 10K very soon.

Does anyone think it was a coincidental thing to bring Tudor of an average 3-5K to the US market during the time where Rolex sales are struggling with NO price increase in the horizon for 2013 due to sluggish sales!

All are just thoughts that may not make any sense to you good TRF people, but worth stopping by for a second. Regards

Oh, one more thing, the gold Skydweller will eventually launch A SS model in 5 years or so, and I bet you that it will be 24K then. Mark my word
Nidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2013, 02:04 PM   #2
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
On the contrary. While the YM2 movement is based on the Daytona's 4130 movement, it incorporates a bezel connected mechanism AND a flyback function. So I'd argue the 4160 is a great accomplishment.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2013, 02:06 PM   #3
ecsub44
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidal View Post
Considering the movement complexity, which arguably is not much more than the Daytona!(you might not agree), and Taking into consideration that the price touches a Patek(almost). Let's say Daytona heads that way, and it will, and several years later you will see a cerachrom SS Daytona at 18K with a "tweaked" movement and oyster case updates etc.... Will Rolex be able to sell 800K watches a year for that kind of money.

Remember that the once 3K sub prices are touching 10K very soon.

Does anyone think it was a coincidental thing to bring Tudor of an average 3-5K to the US market during the time where Rolex sales are struggling with NO price increase in the horizon for 2013 due to sluggish sales!

All are just thoughts that may not make any sense to you good TRF people, but worth stopping by for a second. Regards

Oh, one more thing, the gold Skydweller will eventually launch A SS model in 5 years or so, and I bet you that it will be 24K then. Mark my word
No matter what happens...you can be assured that Rolex will continue to sell an enormous amount of watches while pocketing a sizable amount of money at the end of every quarter.

Commissioner of WEIRD POLICE , Badge # ecsub44
ecsub44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2013, 04:19 PM   #4
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

I believe a Patek for that price houses a pretty basic movement, or at least Patek's entry level movement.

The YM2's movement is unique - I'm pretty sure it's the only one of its kind in the horology world.

A Patek with an equivalent or comparable complication would cost twice (or even three times) that amount.

So I'd say the YM2, although expensive, offers relatively decent value.

Hope this helps.
Singslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2013, 10:51 PM   #5
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Well I think it's a safe bet that prices are going up. (I know Mr. Obvious, right?)

Movement aside, go take a gander at the YM at an AD...it is truly an amazing jaw-dropping piece, in all three metals, SS, TT, and YG. There just is very little like it out there in the world of watches. Now does it justify the arm and a leg price? That is the question...

As for a SS SKD, you may be right. And whatever it costs, I bet people will buy them.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2013, 11:11 PM   #6
Roller07
"TRF" Member

Watch: HulkPepsiCoke
I have a feeling that Rolex future pricing will be higher.
Roller07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2013, 11:13 PM   #7
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidal View Post
SS YM for 18K, what does that mean to Rolex future pricing?
That world wide economic inflation will increase prices over time.

Not sure what your point is at all.

My salary has increased along with the price of my lunch, gasoline, the cost of health care and the value of my house and watches over the years and I expect that to continue.

Don't want a luxury item? Don't buy a luxury item.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2013, 11:17 PM   #8
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I don't have any Rolex crystal ball but those predictions are wild guesses IMHO.

An SS Sky-Dweller is as likely as an SS Day Date...do not hold your breath

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote