The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 17 March 2016, 10:18 PM   #1
VaRobot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mark IV Red Sub
Sending Mark IV to RSC Pennsylvania next week

Going through the local AD, they suggested I send a note with the watch. Text of my note is below:

To Whom it may concern,

Enclosed is an early 1970’s Submariner, Serial Number 293****. The dial is known as a Mark IV Red Sub. It is an inheritance from my brother who purchased it new in 1973.
It is an heirloom, the original hands, dial and bezel insert MUST be kept in the watch. To preserve metal and the vintage patina, only very light buffing please.
It is in need of a service and repair/replacement of the broken stem. The stem will not set the watch.
Please insure shipping for the watch at a value of $12,000.00
Please call with repair and service estimate, (804) ******, Regards, John *******

Am I missing anything?

Thanks
VaRobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2016, 10:43 PM   #2
greekbum
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 16750
Add to your note that if they cannot follow your directions to send the watch back to you.
I would rather you deal directly with the service center this way there is no confusion or misunderstanding.

Original Owner ROLEX 16750 GMT Daily Wearer For Over 13,000 Days And Counting
greekbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2016, 10:48 PM   #3
HERITAGE82
"TRF" Member

Why not use an independent watchmaker and speak directly to the person who will work on your watch?
- Breitling Chronomat - 10th Anniv.
- Huguenin Freres Speedmaster Prototype
HERITAGE82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2016, 10:51 PM   #4
VaRobot
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HERITAGE82 View Post
Why not use an independent watchmaker and speak directly to the person who will work on your watch?
This is a great question that doesn't have an easy answer.

I "felt" better sending this heirloom to Rolex after reading countless threads talking about the benefits, pitfalls and experiences of each.
Old 17 March 2016, 10:56 PM   #5
VaRobot
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekbum View Post
Add to your note that if they cannot follow your directions to send the watch back to you.
I would rather you deal directly with the service center this way there is no confusion or misunderstanding.
Thanks
Old 18 March 2016, 12:35 AM   #6
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
I would prefer to sent it to one of the very skilled independents on the forum.
These experts treat and service the watch with respect for its classic looks and patina.
For a RSC it's just an old watch, they don't see the value in a perfect red dial and in principal they want to bring your watch back to new condition.
If you let them have their way, they change everything and ruin it.
Old 18 March 2016, 12:37 AM   #7
VaRobot
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
I would prefer to sent it to one of the very skilled independents on the forum.
These experts treat and service the watch with respect for its classic looks and patina.
For a RSC it's just an old watch, they don't see the value in a perfect red dial and in principal they want to bring your watch back to new condition.
Thanks for the input.
Old 18 March 2016, 12:38 AM   #8
05carbondrz
Banned

I would specify NO POLISH.A "Light Buffing" can mean different things to different People.
05carbondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2016, 01:47 AM   #9
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05carbondrz View Post
I would specify NO POLISH.A "Light Buffing" can mean different things to different People.
x2
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2016, 02:02 AM   #10
VaRobot
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05carbondrz View Post
Thanks
Old 18 March 2016, 02:13 AM   #11
powerfunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1530
Normally I'd recommend sending it to RSC yourself, because typically the RSC will only deal with the party that sent the watch in (the AD in this case). AFAIK you can't mail directly to RSC PA, though.

I always include (2 copies of) a printed note with my contact information and instructions when I mail watches to RSC. They've always done exactly what I asked, and they confirm the work before proceeding. A note saying "do not replace hands, dial, or bezel insert" and "do not polish" should work just fine!
powerfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2016, 02:20 AM   #12
J!m
"TRF" Member

Watch: this! Hold my beer
Quote:
They will replace the crown and tube, as well as back gasket and crystal at least. If you have the original crown (which would be a fairly rare at this point 700 I believe) you may simply specify "Movement service ONLY".

But I agree there are good independents who specialize in these classics and that's where I'd send it if me.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2016, 02:22 AM   #13
2ar2c1
"TRF" Member

yup, no buffing at all: they only know how to do it one/their way, and you won't like it.
2ar2c1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2016, 03:43 AM   #14
VaRobot
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerfunk View Post
Normally I'd recommend sending it to RSC yourself, because typically the RSC will only deal with the party that sent the watch in (the AD in this case). AFAIK you can't mail directly to RSC PA, though.

I always include (2 copies of) a printed note with my contact information and instructions when I mail watches to RSC. They've always done exactly what I asked, and they confirm the work before proceeding. A note saying "do not replace hands, dial, or bezel insert" and "do not polish" should work just fine!
I don't think Pennsylvania accepts you mailing it directly to them. Thanks
Old 18 March 2016, 03:46 AM   #15
VaRobot
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J!m View Post
They will replace the crown and tube, as well as back gasket and crystal at least. If you have the original crown (which would be a fairly rare at this point 700 I believe) you may simply specify "Movement service ONLY".

But I agree there are good independents who specialize in these classics and that's where I'd send it if me.
Crystal is Rolex replacement my brother did a couple years back, it is in great shape.
Old 18 March 2016, 07:20 AM   #16
ref1655
Banned

Watch: 1655/MkI
Quote:
why is that? in other words, don't the factory RSCs have any concept regarding the preservation & originality of older Rolex timepieces?

it would be like bringing a 64-1/2 Mustang in for dealer servicing & the service department trying to make it look like a 2016 model.
ref1655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2016, 07:24 AM   #17
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by ref1655 View Post
why is that? in other words, don't the factory RSCs have any concept regarding the preservation & originality of older Rolex timepieces?

it would be like bringing a 64-1/2 Mustang in for dealer servicing & the service department trying to make it look like a 2016 model.
That is correct, it's how Rolex works, they are not restoring
Old 18 March 2016, 11:39 PM   #18
powerfunk
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Yes, they do. To think a company as sophisticated as Rolex has "no concept" of the value of vintage pieces is a little exaggerated.

If you send in a watch over 30 years old to RSC, they charge a $300+ premium for it. They no longer change dials without explicitly confirming it with the owner (and charging $600 for it), and they will absolutely follow any clear written instructions you give them.

They tend to want to replace "wear" items like tritium hands, and they do consider date wheels a functional part of the movement, so be clear if you want those untouched. Also polishing is free with every overhaul but you can decline it if you wish.

Sent from my 0PM92 using Tapatalk
Old 19 March 2016, 12:07 AM   #19
VaRobot
"TRF" Member

Quote:

If you send in a watch over 30 years old to RSC, they charge a $300+ premium for it.
Thanks, was told by AD that "Service" for vintage is currently $600.00, Plus fixing my crown, etc.
Old 19 March 2016, 12:10 AM   #20
powerfunk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaRobot View Post
Thanks, was told by AD that "Service" for vintage is currently $600.00, Plus fixing my crown, etc.
You're lucky it must be under 30 years old; they jacked it up to $900 in 2014 I believe.

Old 19 March 2016, 12:21 AM   #21
VaRobot
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You're lucky it must be under 30 years old; they jacked it up to $900 in 2014 I believe.

Nope, was purchased new in 1973. Hopefully AD knows what they are talking about.
Old 19 March 2016, 02:46 AM   #22
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
This is a mistake, IMHO. Too many variables and potential for problems. AD involved, sent through the mail with a note ... It would make me nervous.

The only way I'd bring a red 1680 to an RSC is in person with a face-to-face discussion with a Rolex rep AND a copy of the service order in advance that states on it, something like: "Movement-only service and absolutely no polishing and no visible parts changed." I'd want that in writing on the paperwork before anything was done. If you did it this way, you could also get an estimate for the service while you wait and a confirmation that your requests would be honored. I've done this at the RSC in New York City. In some cases, they'll refuse. For example, they might claim that the tritium is flaking and insist that the dial/hands get changed. That way you can walk away with no harm done to your watch.

Better yet, send your Sub to one of the good independents often discussed on this forum. Good luck!
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2016, 02:52 AM   #23
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Personally I would not send a vintage Rolex to RSC.

I'd use ABC, Vanessa or RIK. All three are experts in eating with vintage and very responsive.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2016, 04:12 AM   #24
ref1655
Banned

Watch: 1655/MkI
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Personally I would not send a vintage Rolex to RSC.
if I am processing this thread information correctly...

1. the factory RSC charges an additional fee to service a Rolex older than 30 years old.
2. they will replace original exterior components in an effort to give the watch an 'as new' appearance regardless of vintage-specific hands/dials etc.
3. as part of their 'as new' approach to exterior cosmetics, caution must be taken in regards to case-polishing & scratch removal (if any).

having utilized the services of an independent factory-authorized RSC in the past, I've never encountered these issues. if anything, they have always emphasized the importance of & their commitment to preserving the watch's originality.

from what I have derived here (and correct me if I am mistaken)...it is advisable not to take (or send) an older vintage/collectible Rolex to a factory RSC (e.g. New York/Dallas/Beverly Hills/Pennsylvania) for periodic servicing as they will undoubtedly (or eventually) alter the original integrity of the watch's appearance.
ref1655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2016, 04:44 AM   #25
05carbondrz
Banned

Quote:

1. the factory RSC charges an additional fee to service a Rolex older than 30 years old.
2. they will replace original exterior components in an effort to give the watch an 'as new' appearance regardless of vintage-specific hands/dials etc.
3. as part of their 'as new' approach to exterior cosmetics, caution must be taken in regards to case-polishing & scratch removal (if any).

having utilized the services of an independent factory-authorized RSC in the past, I've never encountered these issues. if anything, they have always emphasized the importance of & their commitment to preserving the watch's originality.

from what I have derived here (and correct me if I am mistaken)...it is advisable not to take (or send) an older vintage/collectible Rolex to a factory RSC (e.g. New York/Dallas/Beverly Hills/Pennsylvania) for periodic servicing as they will undoubtedly (or eventually) alter the original integrity of the watch's appearance.
You are spot on Sir.
05carbondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2016, 05:26 AM   #26
tucsonrick
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Don't know how any extra fee applies. I have had a well over 30 year old Datejust and an OP repaired at RSC Dallas. No extra fee - reasonable prices; they asked in writing about everything they suggested doing, and gave me the choice of what was done and not done - again in writing.
tucsonrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2016, 10:58 AM   #27
Max72
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II 1655
Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
This is a mistake, IMHO. Too many variables and potential for problems. AD involved, sent through the mail with a note ... It would make me nervous.

The only way I'd bring a red 1680 to an RSC is in person with a face-to-face discussion with a Rolex rep AND a copy of the service order in advance that states on it, something like: "Movement-only service and absolutely no polishing and no visible parts changed." I'd want that in writing on the paperwork before anything was done. If you did it this way, you could also get an estimate for the service while you wait and a confirmation that your requests would be honored. I've done this at the RSC in New York City. In some cases, they'll refuse. For example, they might claim that the tritium is flaking and insist that the dial/hands get changed. That way you can walk away with no harm done to your watch.

Better yet, send your Sub to one of the good independents often discussed on this forum. Good luck!
+1
Max72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2016, 11:14 AM   #28
powerfunk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonrick View Post
Don't know how any extra fee applies. I have had a well over 30 year old Datejust and an OP repaired at RSC Dallas. No extra fee - reasonable prices; they asked in writing about everything they suggested doing, and gave me the choice of what was done and not done - again in writing.
It started recently. Last time I sent in my '66 5700 the $900 rate applied. Just a year or so earlier the price for the same watch was $600.

Old 19 March 2016, 11:59 AM   #29
zapokee
"TRF" Member

The reality is that different RSCs do things differently regardless of what offical "policy" is.

I've dealt with some RSCs that are flexible about owner requests and some that insist on doing it their way. It's dangerous to assume that your RSC will follow your requests just because you've heard that another RSC followed requests.

International variations are particularly marked; US/UK RSCs tend to have more flexibility than Asian ones, for example. The Tokyo RSC refused to service my 5512 because I wouldn't let them swap out the beautifully patina'd hands/dial for new luminova ones or change the grey insert for a new black one.

Good luck with yours.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2016, 07:41 PM   #30
VaRobot
"TRF" Member

Thanks Guys!