The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 April 2019, 11:07 PM   #721
georgekart
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxutil View Post
Do you guys think this will come down in price on the secondary market?
Probably, and it is likely to happen soon. I ordered one the day after Baselworld releases not showing new color combination for 58 and my local AD called me 2 weeks later even though they predicted 3-4 months. And I have no sales history with my local AD. If I could get it in 2 weeks, I assume soon it will be possible to pick one up straight from AD without WL/ordering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxutil View Post
I was really hoping for a different color this year at Basel, but I'll wait around and maybe next year we'll see a new color.

My ideal BB 58 (not going to happen, but one can dream):
-Black/white color scheme (silver surrounds, white writing on the bezel and dial, etc)
This ruined it for me. I don't like the gilt on the dial and especially on the bezel. I was hoping for a red/blue bezel version of BB58. I think when they inevitably come out, they will have WLs once again.
georgekart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 11:57 PM   #722
Jaff03
Banned

It's really looking good, nice one from them.
Jaff03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 05:00 AM   #723
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

After a long and thus far fruitless search for a new diver to pair with my 214270 I think I am coming back around to the 58. I had previously moved away from it in my search due to the gilt on the bezel and dial, but I simply can't find anything with better proportions than the 58. I had hopes that a blue version sans gilt would be released at Basel but we all know how that turned out. I may still end up waiting another year to see what emerges from Basel 2020, but it's looking more and more likely that the 58 will be the one.

I have a question for the members who own this watch on the bracelet. I like my watches to fit snug on the wrist, and my 214270 with half link and easylink provides an absolutely perfect fit. With no half link and no micro adjust, have you experienced difficulty finding a fit that works?
mgsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 08:08 AM   #724
redfoxer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgsooner View Post
After a long and thus far fruitless search for a new diver to pair with my 214270 I think I am coming back around to the 58. I had previously moved away from it in my search due to the gilt on the bezel and dial, but I simply can't find anything with better proportions than the 58. I had hopes that a blue version sans gilt would be released at Basel but we all know how that turned out. I may still end up waiting another year to see what emerges from Basel 2020, but it's looking more and more likely that the 58 will be the one.

I have a question for the members who own this watch on the bracelet. I like my watches to fit snug on the wrist, and my 214270 with half link and easylink provides an absolutely perfect fit. With no half link and no micro adjust, have you experienced difficulty finding a fit that works?
There are micro adjusts on the clasp. Just no easy link or glide lock clasp. It wears very snug/light, and quite similar to the 214270 with great weight proportion. Even on leather, the head wears light and well.

The only dislike I have is the bracelet clasp. The tudor milled cut out in the clasp irritates me and I have to re adjust every so often. Probably a me issue than the bracelet in general. I say only dislike, I would rather not have faux rivets but its not the worst thing.

The 214270 (mk 2) it's probably the most comfortable watch and bracelet combo I have worn however and would prefer that to the bb58.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
redfoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 10:40 AM   #725
Nica64
"TRF" Member

Hard to get, but a beautiful watch
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 6F8F35A6-BF70-4F86-BB50-DE1B141EEF6F.jpeg (17.3 KB, 894 views)
Old 24 April 2019, 11:41 AM   #726
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfoxer View Post
There are micro adjusts on the clasp. Just no easy link or glide lock clasp. It wears very snug/light, and quite similar to the 214270 with great weight proportion. Even on leather, the head wears light and well.

The only dislike I have is the bracelet clasp. The tudor milled cut out in the clasp irritates me and I have to re adjust every so often. Probably a me issue than the bracelet in general. I say only dislike, I would rather not have faux rivets but its not the worst thing.

The 214270 (mk 2) it's probably the most comfortable watch and bracelet combo I have worn however and would prefer that to the bb58.
Good input, thank you. I should’ve said on the fly adjustment instead of micro adjust. I typically end up using my easylink adjustment several times a week. Do you find yourself missing an on the fly adjustment mechanism?

I agree about the rivets, not my favorite thing in the world but probably not very noticeable on the wrist.
Old 24 April 2019, 12:47 PM   #727
mui.richard
"TRF" Member

Once you get spoiled by the versatility of the easylink's on the fly adjustment it's hard not to miss it on other watches.

I don't have a 58 but that's the one thing I miss most and wish they had it on the new Tudor watches.

Sent from my Mi MIX 2S using Tapatalk
mui.richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 02:42 PM   #728
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mui.richard View Post
Once you get spoiled by the versatility of the easylink's on the fly adjustment it's hard not to miss it on other watches.

I don't have a 58 but that's the one thing I miss most and wish they had it on the new Tudor watches.

Sent from my Mi MIX 2S using Tapatalk
I guess that’s why Rolex is Rolex, right?

I’ve really warmed to the Tudor TT stuff. The brushed gold look just works. Looks great.
Old 24 April 2019, 09:23 PM   #729
johnjm
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Good input, thank you. I should’ve said on the fly adjustment instead of micro adjust. I typically end up using my easylink adjustment several times a week. Do you find yourself missing an on the fly adjustment mechanism?

I agree about the rivets, not my favorite thing in the world but probably not very noticeable on the wrist.
The 58 bracelet is completely different in terms of dimensions. For example, my rolexes need 2 links removed where as the 58 required 3. I don't miss the easy link because the 58 has those different proportions of the links that suits me.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Old 24 April 2019, 10:02 PM   #730
nigelUK
"TRF" Member

I've been enjoying it on leather for a while
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BB58 (2).jpg (278.9 KB, 837 views)
Old 25 April 2019, 12:37 AM   #731
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm View Post
The 58 bracelet is completely different in terms of dimensions. For example, my rolexes need 2 links removed where as the 58 required 3. I don't miss the easy link because the 58 has those different proportions of the links that suits me.
Thanks, that is hopeful news. I also need two links removed on an oyster (6.75" wrist). Perhaps I'll have the same experience.
Old 25 April 2019, 12:57 AM   #732
johnjm
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks, that is hopeful news. I also need two links removed on an oyster (6.75" wrist). Perhaps I'll have the same experience.
I thought my wrists shrunk... I'm being objective when I say that the 58 is the most comfortable watch ever, over a Daytona, but thats maybe due to the bracelet weight.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Old 25 April 2019, 01:10 AM   #733
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

The one thing I continue to agonize over is the 58 vs pursuing a 14060m or a 16570 polar. One of the biggest factors pushing me toward the 58 is that I don't like the proportions or the ceramic bezels on the six digit Rolex sports models. I love the aesthetics of the 14060m and the 16570, but with those references would I be getting much more for my money vs the 58 beyond just having Rolex on the dial? The movement in the 58 seems to be at least equal to what is in the 14060m/16570, albeit not proven over time. What about the bracelets? How does the 58's bracelet compare to the bracelet you find on a late model 14060m/16570?

The increased cost of a 14060m/16570 vs the 58 is not exactly a huge consideration for me, but I also don't care to spend double (or more) simply to have a crown logo.
Old 25 April 2019, 02:12 AM   #734
imagwai
"TRF" Member

I waited a year for an all blue version of the BB58. Got fed up waiting and finally crumbled and ordered the black/gilt BB58 on the day of the Baselworld releases :)

I still reckon they'll add a colour variant or two in the future, and who knows what that'll do for used prices down the line, but there's no reason to just yet with demand still high for the current model.
imagwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2019, 02:24 AM   #735
Coopdog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The one thing I continue to agonize over is the 58 vs pursuing a 14060m or a 16570 polar. One of the biggest factors pushing me toward the 58 is that I don't like the proportions or the ceramic bezels on the six digit Rolex sports models. I love the aesthetics of the 14060m and the 16570, but with those references would I be getting much more for my money vs the 58 beyond just having Rolex on the dial? The movement in the 58 seems to be at least equal to what is in the 14060m/16570, albeit not proven over time. What about the bracelets? How does the 58's bracelet compare to the bracelet you find on a late model 14060m/16570?

The increased cost of a 14060m/16570 vs the 58 is not exactly a huge consideration for me, but I also don't care to spend double (or more) simply to have a crown logo.
The movement and construction in general of the BB58 is far superior to the 5 digit Rolex models. In fact it makes it sort of absurd to me that the 5 digit trade for the price they do. People can definitely debate the styling, but the movement in the BB58 is superior to the 3135. The 3*** rolex movements are 30 years old. The BB58 is a modern movement, easily regulated to +/-2, has a 70 hour power reserve and is shock resistant. I know I’ve dropped mine a couple times. No rate variation.

I love Rolex and Tudor but in the case of a 14060vBB58, it’s really a matter of a logo on the dial for double the money (and an inferior bracelet and case construction and inferior movement). But if you don’t like the domed crystal and gilt dial look, that could be a deal breaker on the 58.
Coopdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2019, 02:32 AM   #736
redfoxer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelUK View Post
I've been enjoying it on leather for a while
It's a beauty on leather. Think I need to switch back out of the bracelet and join you!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
redfoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2019, 02:33 AM   #737
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagwai View Post
I waited a year for an all blue version of the BB58. Got fed up waiting and finally crumbled and ordered the black/gilt BB58 on the day of the Baselworld releases :)

I still reckon they'll add a colour variant or two in the future, and who knows what that'll do for used prices down the line, but there's no reason to just yet with demand still high for the current model.
You and I are of the exact same mindset. Now I just have to decide if I want to wait yet another year to see what is released in 2020. I now find myself questioning if I might even prefer the current gilt version over a blue version. The gilt strikes me as perhaps more of a year round piece than a blue version would be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coopdog View Post
The movement and construction in general of the BB58 is far superior to the 5 digit Rolex models. In fact it makes it sort of absurd to me that the 5 digit trade for the price they do. People can definitely debate the styling, but the movement in the BB58 is superior to the 3135. The 3*** rolex movements are 30 years old. The BB58 is a modern movement, easily regulated to +/-2, has a 70 hour power reserve and is shock resistant. I know I’ve dropped mine a couple times. No rate variation.

I love Rolex and Tudor but in the case of a 14060vBB58, it’s really a matter of a logo on the dial for double the money (and an inferior bracelet and case construction and inferior movement). But if you don’t like the domed crystal and gilt dial look, that could be a deal breaker on the 58.
This is exactly the input I was looking for, thank you. Eases my mind and validates my decision to really focus on searching for a 58 on a bracelet. I don't love the gilt but I find myself warming to it. To me it dresses the piece up a little which is not a bad thing. I love the domed crystal look.
Old 25 April 2019, 10:59 AM   #738
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
I have had mine since July last year. I've ended up having all three OEM strap varients. Currently I'm enjoying an Italian leather set of wheels with the OEM deployant. These things look great on any strap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
watchmavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2019, 12:31 PM   #739
JePro
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613 / 126600
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_natural View Post
I'm very happy to see a smaller size BB option. Only wish they'd used the rose on the dial...
me too!
JePro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2019, 01:47 AM   #740
georgekart
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coopdog View Post
People can definitely debate the styling, but the movement in the BB58 is superior to the 3135. The 3*** rolex movements are 30 years old. The BB58 is a modern movement, easily regulated to +/-2, has a 70 hour power reserve and is shock resistant.
I am not going to argue build quality or other stuff, but I'll definitely argue this point of view. 31xx movements are still used in some Rolex, including but not limited to Sub, come with +-2s/d rate out of the box and are also shock resistant. Plus, being an older Rolex movement means that it is a tested movement with excellent track record that can be serviced by any competent watchmaker and I have no reason to doubt in 10,20,30, etc years there will still be plenty of service parts. Whereas with Tudor movements, servicing them may become a PITA in the future, due to not having any trained professionals to service them and/or lack of parts.
georgekart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2019, 02:43 AM   #741
RtTime
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270MkII; 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamorama View Post
I'm very close to selling my Explorer I 39mm MK2 and might replace it with this piece. Like the size, the thickness, the long power reserve, the overall looks and don't mind no-date. Good job Tudor!
Tudor's BB58 is a beautiful watch and if not for the snowflake hands I would have bought one. If you really like the Explorer, I'm no horologist but for me the MkII is the classic watch: my go to watch, go any and everywhere watch. It always looks good and smart and its always appropriate. You may want to go slow and reconsider prior to flipping it. Admittedly it isn't the watch for everybody. Some could never get use to the 36 to 39 diameter increase, but others have regretted their sale and have re-purchased it. The Explorer MkII is one of my favorite watches, if not my favorite and I generally rotate it with my Submariner. My brother rotates Tudor BB58 with the MkII - a great pair.
RtTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2019, 03:39 AM   #742
imagwai
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RtTime View Post
Tudor's BB58 is a beautiful watch and if not for the snowflake hands I would have bought one. If you really like the Explorer, I'm no horologist but for me the MkII is the classic watch: my go to watch, go any and everywhere watch. It always looks good and smart and its always appropriate. You may want to go slow and reconsider prior to flipping it. Admittedly it isn't the watch for everybody. Some could never get use to the 36 to 39 diameter increase, but others have regretted their sale and have re-purchased it. The Explorer MkII is one of my favorite watches, if not my favorite and I generally rotate it with my Submariner. My brother rotates Tudor BB58 with the MkII - a great pair.
When my BB58 finally arrives, it will be rotated with my 36mm Explorer. That watch is going nowhere!!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
imagwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2019, 08:05 AM   #743
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgekart View Post
I am not going to argue build quality or other stuff, but I'll definitely argue this point of view. 31xx movements are still used in some Rolex, including but not limited to Sub, come with +-2s/d rate out of the box and are also shock resistant. Plus, being an older Rolex movement means that it is a tested movement with excellent track record that can be serviced by any competent watchmaker and I have no reason to doubt in 10,20,30, etc years there will still be plenty of service parts. Whereas with Tudor movements, servicing them may become a PITA in the future, due to not having any trained professionals to service them and/or lack of parts.

Given that both Rolex and Tudor are both under the umbrella of the HWF. It would be far reach to think that ensuring quality and parts availability would be treated any differently. Both movements are assembled under the same roof. Tudor have eben started that the only way they can amp production is to call Rolex workers from accross the corridor. Gaining parts for BOTH watches is totally controlled by HWF and given some parts are made by others for Tudor, there's nothing rocket science that can't be worked out by these companies combined. Even the silicon hairspring used by Tudor is a part co-developed by Rolex. I would doubt very much considering the she of the 31## calibres that the build quality and design would be any better than a newly created MT calibre that incorporates horological advances made since the inception of the 31##, particularly those manufacturing preferences of newer Rolex calibres.

Old 26 April 2019, 01:06 PM   #744
importstunna
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgekart View Post
I doubt it. Why makes you you think parts will become scarce for Tudor specifically? Tudors have been in production for a long time, and I've never heard of someone saying parts are hard to obtain now for a vintage Tudor. It's also not rocket science to service these watches. Your logic makes no sense to me. From a brand perspective, Rolex won't let their sub-brand's quality or service deteriorate that much.

Lastly, my 58 is keeping a +.6 secs/day, better than all of my Rolex's. I do understand it's a new movement, but not bad so far.
importstunna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2019, 01:14 PM   #745
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Tudor Black Bay 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by importstunna View Post
I doubt it. Why makes you you think parts will become scarce for Tudor specifically? Tudors have been in production for a long time, and I've never heard of someone saying parts are hard to obtain now for a vintage Tudor. It's also not rocket science to service these watches. Your logic makes no sense to me. From a brand perspective, Rolex won't let their sub-brand's quality or service deteriorate that much.

Lastly, my 58 is keeping a +.6 secs/day, better than all of my Rolex's. I do understand it's a new movement, but not bad so far.

Given Tudor is moving to the same vertical manufacture model as Rolex via their own calibre production arm Kenissi Manufacture this is a rediculous statement that is no more likely than Rolex running out of parts for their calibres.

"Kenissi is a Geneva-based watch movement manufacturer, 20% owned by Chanel and sharing production space with Tudor.

Kenissi was formed in 2016 and is managed by Eric Yvon Pirson (head of Tudor), Jean-Paul Girardin (formerly of Breitling), and Philippe Jacques Dalloz.

In 2018 it was revealed that Kenissi was partnering with Tudor to build a new movement manufacture in Le Locle on land owned by Rolex. The operation would be 50% owned by each partner and is expected to open by 2022."

Old 26 April 2019, 03:12 PM   #746
Jaff03
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
While the Rolex/Tudor Pepsi’s have everyone’s attention, the Tudor Black Bay Fifty-Eight is very nice (especially on rivet style bracelet).

Pic by Hodinkee:
Its good looking....
Jaff03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2019, 03:23 PM   #747
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

So I was at the one and only Tudor AD in town today. Sales rep reported to me they have not received a single 58 in any iteration. He said they have gotten several GMTs, including a couple on bracelet.

I tried on one of the heritage black bays, of which they had several. Lug to lug it did not strike me as being bad at all on my 6.75” wrist. I was a little surprised by that. The dial itself appears smaller than the dial on my 214270. It is, however, rather thick. Saw the riveted bracelet in person for the first time and it’s not something I care for but probably something I could just ignore. I also saw the gilt dial of the heritage black bay version and i honestly walked away unsure about that.

Have name & number down for the GMT and the 58. A little taken aback that they’ve not received a single 58. I live in the sticks but yikes.
Old 3 November 2019, 08:11 PM   #748
d8mok
"TRF" Member

So after a short 3 week wait I’ve managed to get a 58 on bracelet from a local AD. I fancy a brown leather strap similar to the Tudor one. Has anyone got any suggestions ? Does anyone know the price of the genuine one too? My preference is a UK seller if possible.

I’m 3 days into ownership and stickers still remain on it as not had time to wear it this weekend. It looks lovely though. Smaller than I had thought having never seen one and lots smaller than my sub in terms of visual appearance.

I owned a BB41 in 2016 and it’s such a better proportioned watch for me and I love the gold bits too.
d8mok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2019, 07:11 AM   #749
d8mok
"TRF" Member

I’ve now worn it for the first time , and its a lovely watch. However the strap isn’t perfect for me. 2 links removed is too loose and 3 is too tight. Even messing around with the micro adjust from one extreme to another. Anyone else had this issue and any ideas how to solve it?
d8mok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2019, 08:13 AM   #750
Auto16610
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexOmegaPanerai
Congratulations!

Just remove 2 links and have it on the loosest hole. Or remove 3 links and have it on the tightest adjustable hole. I like mine more loose than tight that way when it's hot outside my wrist can swell.
Auto16610 is offline   Reply With Quote