The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 13 June 2018, 12:42 PM   #1
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

Watch: me go broke!
AP Guys, some opinions/thoughts?

Contemplating making a trade offer - I have a BNIB white Daytona that has just been sitting in a safe, I haven’t worn it outside of my house once in 6 months... I’ve got a 7.75 wrist & the Daytona feels small. I don’t know much about AP, where I have a wealth of knowledge on Rolex. I know my Daytona will retain its value, and there will always be demand for it... Can someone give me a comparison of how this watch wears in size, how it will retain its value, and I guess just basic differentiators between these two?

https://www.audemarspiguet.com/en/wa....OO.1220ST.02/

Highly appreciate any insight!!

TIA!
tbonesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2018, 12:48 PM   #2
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

Also, curious how the bezel holds up?

The lugs, I had a Cartier with curves lugs, ended up getting rid of it bc it wasn’t comfortable, what’s his one feel like on the wrist?
Old 13 June 2018, 01:25 PM   #3
Big Green
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR/116500LN/APRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbonesteak View Post
Also, curious how the bezel holds up?

The lugs, I had a Cartier with curves lugs, ended up getting rid of it bc it wasn’t comfortable, what’s his one feel like on the wrist?
Do you have a flat wrist or a curved wrist? Mine is smaller, 6.75, and I wear the 15400 which is also a 41. The Chrono is thicker, so something to consider. Personally, the 41mm sits great on my wrist because I have a flat wrist, so please take that for what it’s worth. I’d think a curved wrist would be harder, however yours may be big enough to handle it.

AP owners on here seem to really love their APs. I wear my IWC as my daily with a suit, my BLNR as my weekender and travel watch, and my AP when I want something special on the wrist. Just my two cents.
Big Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2018, 01:33 PM   #4
chad362wiley
"TRF" Member

bigger. larger lug to lug. i had a daytona C and a 15400 (same watch minus chrono to my knowledge) and the 15400 wore a fair bit larger. daytona was also a bit small on my wrist. value retention, these can be had under msrp. they take a bit of a hit on resale, moreso than the 15400. i personally would prefer the daytona to the AP chrono, if it was the 15400 blue/white different story. if you havent owned an AP, you will be stunned at the finishing, much more attention to detail. emphasis on the better bracelet, i love the oyster but the RO bracelet is the absolute best.

If you're not wearing the daytona, sell it for 19 grand and get the AP. better worn than in a safe!
Old 13 June 2018, 03:22 PM   #5
MrPorter_008
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15202ST
I think the AP ROC will appear larger than the Daytona, simply because it’s a 41mm watch with a steel bezel vs a 40mm with a black ceramic bezel that tones down the wrist presence. The ROC definitely has a strong wrist presence, it’s a pretty substantial watch, but if you are looking for a really big watch then go with the ROO line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 13 June 2018, 03:54 PM   #6
Fard
Banned

I would sell the daytona for a maximum profit and purchase what you really want. I also prefer the RO line to the ROO line.
Fard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2018, 04:10 PM   #7
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Should fit you like a glove. I’d say the 41mm RO wears a touch larger than a six digit sub. Perfect for your wrist size.
Old 14 June 2018, 12:08 AM   #8
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the opinions. Might try to get to the AP boutique today to try some things on.

Thinking about maybe keeping the Daytona, and instead, finding a used 15400 in black, while flipping my Sub.

I'm prob picking up a Hulk & Pepsi, so I'm trying figure out my perfect 3, maybe 4 watch collection.
Old 14 June 2018, 12:17 AM   #9
Big Green
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR/116500LN/APRO
Quote:
Thanks for the opinions. Might try to get to the AP boutique today to try some things on.

Thinking about maybe keeping the Daytona, and instead, finding a used 15400 in black, while flipping my Sub.

I'm prob picking up a Hulk & Pepsi, so I'm trying figure out my perfect 3, maybe 4 watch collection.

I actually had better luck and pricing purchasing a new AP (with 5 year warranty) than a used 15400 (which until a year ago only had a 2 year warranty.)

Best of luck!
Big Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2018, 01:37 AM   #10
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Wears like a 42/3mm so should be good for you, and AP resale is getting stronger as the brand tightens supply.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2018, 03:28 AM   #11
mobster600
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes
The ROC wears big, if you have a bigger wrist this is a perfect size. The feel on the wrist is superior to any Rolex. The finishing is incredible.

Resale value- this watch is all about the experience. Your going to lose some, mainly because the finish gets pretty bad when it’s scratched and worn. And to refinish and AP takes a large amt of hours. Don’t buy this based on resale
mobster600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2018, 04:02 AM   #12
kevblah
"TRF" Member

I'm having a similar issue.

I sold my white dial DaytonaC and ended up buying an APROC blue dial months later and I'm conflicted about which one I like better.

Still not able to figure it out...
kevblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2018, 11:42 AM   #13
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
These photos may help give some sense of size - 15400 (41mm also) , 26331 vs Daytona

HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2018, 11:44 AM   #14
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK Islandboy View Post
These photos may help give some sense of size - 15400 (41mm also) , 26331 vs Daytona

I’ve got a 7” flat wrist
Old 14 June 2018, 08:31 PM   #15
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:
I’ve got a 7” flat wrist

The Daytona looks really good on you...and quite big given you have a 7” wrist.

AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2018, 08:34 PM   #16
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Contemplating making a trade offer - I have a BNIB white Daytona that has just been sitting in a safe, I haven’t worn it outside of my house once in 6 months... I’ve got a 7.75 wrist & the Daytona feels small. I don’t know much about AP, where I have a wealth of knowledge on Rolex. I know my Daytona will retain its value, and there will always be demand for it... Can someone give me a comparison of how this watch wears in size, how it will retain its value, and I guess just basic differentiators between these two?

https://www.audemarspiguet.com/en/wa....OO.1220ST.02/

Highly appreciate any insight!!

TIA!

Given your wrist size I’d recommend a 44mm offshore, regarding value, there aren’t many watches that will retain value like a ceramic Daytona.

Old 14 June 2018, 09:29 PM   #17
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
The Daytona looks really good on you...and quite big given you have a 7” wrist.

Thanks!

I am (sacrilege alert!!) not a huge fan of Daytona’s generally, but the WG on OF is a great piece and very nearly converted me.
Old 14 June 2018, 09:35 PM   #18
AshAP
"TRF" Member

My wife wears a white face ceramic Daytona and it looks great, as a rule I think they’re more of a woman’s watch but the one on your wrist looked really good and certainly not too small.
Old 14 June 2018, 10:50 PM   #19
DTNSS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks!

I am (sacrilege alert!!) not a huge fan of Daytona’s generally, but the WG on OF is a great piece and very nearly converted me.
It’s a great watch. I have one on order. It’s slightly larger that the SS version (thicker lugs, crown...).
DTNSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2018, 11:07 AM   #20
rallyx
"TRF" Member

Watch: Holly's Lady DJ
Think of the Daytona as an AMG. True sports car, robust with a great engine (in-house movement).
Think of the AP ROC as an Aston Martin. Refine, classy but comes with an AMG engine (Fedric Piguet chrono movement).

Hope this helps.
Old 17 June 2018, 09:16 AM   #21
daveo5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M COSC
In-house verses outsourced. I have just been outsourced to a private dentist by the VA (USA). Not a watch movement, but it applies the same. I read this morning on a major watch BB, where he discussed the in-out. Primarily a lot of hype by manufacturers and the loyal, to the death, adherents of the in-house craze. AP makes watches by hand, with an individual number, not the serial number, on the caseback. This serves to identify the AP technician who made the watch. The number is recorded in Switzerland for reference. AP produces 30,000 watches per year, my estimate. Rolex 800,000 in the same year. Value, no one invests in a watch unless it is numbered 01-05, all handmade, with a retail of $150,000.00 USD and up. Case size is purely subjective, size of wrist not with standing. I wear a a 23 year old stainless AP RO. I have, among others, four Rolexes, Tudor, Breitling, Omega, Seiko, Piaget, JLC, a 1930 WG Hamilton, 14 k Concord from 1952, IWC. Everything I said is IMHO, is based on 50 years of watch owning/wearing.
daveo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2018, 08:36 PM   #22
sdh1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500 LN
I have both and the AP definitely has way more wrist presence. It’s also a lot more of a ding magnet. If I could only have one, it would be the Daytona
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 55C809B3-2B53-4E5A-AE46-3900CC7C6D10.jpeg (130.7 KB, 391 views)
File Type: jpeg CAB948A0-534F-4B2D-BAF3-9C972287BD2B.jpeg (123.1 KB, 381 views)
sdh1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2018, 12:52 AM   #23
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
If the ROC was no date I’d buy one immediately. Still a great piece.
Old 18 June 2018, 03:47 AM   #24
karasus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Royal Oak
Quote:

I have a buddy who is in a somewhat similar position as you, with plenty of Rolexes and is looking to get something different. It might be tempting to think that an AP SS sports watch is equal a Rolex SS luxury tool watch and can be worn the same way, but you will be quickly disillusioned by the amount of dings/scratches you get on your AP RO non ceramic bezel.

AP RO is essentially a sporty dress watch, with an elaborate finish but softer materials(softer steel, less water resistance, more fragile movements etc)compared to Rolex(harder steel, bridges instead of cocks holding balance springs, twice as thick bridges compared to AP, etc). However this tradeoff is not without benefits, most AP watches are thinner, weigh less and look less chunky compared to Rolex. An AP chrono is about 2mm thinner than a Daytona and an AP 15202 is almost 60% the thickness of a Submariner, it will wear and feel like a dresswatch but with a sports watch look.

You will want to keep your Sub (black or hulk) as a no worry any time piece, get the pepsi as a travel piece and pick up something special from AP as a special occasions watch would work well in such a 3 piece collection. Pick a simple to set piece as complicated special occasion pieces tend to sit in a safe, not because you won't want to wear it but they are a pain in the ass to set when you decide to wear it.

Looking at the secondary market the 15407 holds its value quite well, especially the SS version, selling well over MSRP but it also means getting one at retail is very very difficult. If you don't what to be that flashy an AP RO chrono could be an option. Blue dials tend to hold value better at MSRP or slightly above as many people seem to prefer blue over any other colour.
karasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2018, 04:18 AM   #25
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
The ROC 41mm wears a lot bigger than the Daytona. For value retention, the Daytona will retain almost 100% of the original value ( assuming you bought at retail ). The AP will probably loose about 30% on resale subject to condition and your initial buying price. However, AP is making a concerted effort in restricting supply so future bolds well for value retention on the long term.
Old 19 June 2018, 03:30 PM   #26
Stillwater702
"TRF" Member

For your reference, I have about a 7” wrist. Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 47502B01-62A0-4210-81E9-976C812BFD45.jpeg (192.7 KB, 254 views)
Stillwater702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 11:26 PM   #27
soran
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdh1980 View Post
I have both and the AP definitely has way more wrist presence. It’s also a lot more of a ding magnet. If I could only have one, it would be the Daytona
Wow that panda dial really pops
soran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 12:28 AM   #28
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
My wife wears a white face ceramic Daytona and it looks great, as a rule I think they’re more of a woman’s watch but the one on your wrist looked really good and certainly not too small.
True, my wife has it too, I was thinking of getting the black dial but decided on a SS Pepsi instead, probably nicer for me
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote