The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 23 July 2017, 06:35 PM   #1
NewcastleBeach
"TRF" Member

1971 GMT Master

I recently had my 1971 GMT Master serviced at a Rolex Service Centre. Despite asking for only a service the hands were replaced. I contacted the RSC and was told by their watchmaker that the hands had to be replaced as the luminous material on the hands was breaking down, and if not replaced could possibly damage the inner workings of the watch. Is this claim correct, and if so will my watch be devalued?
NewcastleBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 09:17 PM   #2
TimeToGo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewcastleBeach View Post
I recently had my 1971 GMT Master serviced at a Rolex Service Centre. Despite asking for only a service the hands were replaced. I contacted the RSC and was told by their watchmaker that the hands had to be replaced as the luminous material on the hands was breaking down, and if not replaced could possibly damage the inner workings of the watch. Is this claim correct, and if so will my watch be devalued?
Welcome to the Forum!
If a watch does not have the original parts, yes it will be devalued. Specially with parts like the dial and/or hands.. But they could be sourced in the aftermarket.
But curious, do you have a picture of the watch before it went in to service?
Loose tritium is definitely not good, so the claim is correct, if such was the case..
TimeToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 09:23 PM   #3
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
I would have expected that items requiring replacement would have been itemised on your quotation and require acceptance prior to any work being done and any extra work required during the service would need to be accepted by you before they proceeded.

Was there a charge for the hands?

This was my experience when I sent my 14060m to the Melbourne RSC for service.

They listed all the items they thought required replacing and I accepted the work I required.

I declined the crystal replacement and the new bracelet (I sent it in on a NATO).

They did a perfect job.

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 09:27 PM   #4
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
I would have expected that items requiring replacement would have been itemised on the quotation and require acceptance prior to any work being done.

Was there a charge for the hands?

This was my experience when I sent my 14060m to the Melbourne RSC for service.

They listed all the items the thought required replacing and I accepted the work I required.

I declined the crystal replacement and the new bracelet (I sent it in on a NATO).

They did a perfect job.
same here. RSC always follows a written procedure for an overhaul ... At least that's my experience.

I sent a 67 5513 in for a service and before any work was done they sent a detailed estimate.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 09:42 PM   #5
lee fowler
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT
Have to agree to all the above.

Instagram: @lee1563
lee fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2017, 12:13 AM   #6
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Wow, I'd be so pissed! Perhaps during the initial evaluation the watchmaker didn't realize that tritium was flaking on the hands, but then discovered the issue when he was taking it apart for service. OK, that could happen.

HOWEVER, they should have let you know about the issue BEFORE they just went ahead and replaced the hands. How about a quick phone call to the customer so he could decide what he wanted to do? Sure, they might have refused to complete the service if you didn't want the hands changed, but that should be your decision to make. You could have taken your watch elsewhere for service, and kept your original hands.

Can you try to see if they kept the originals? Maybe you could get them back.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2017, 12:37 AM   #7
no way jay
"TRF" Member

Perhaps they accidentally damaged the hands and are using the lume as an excuse.
no way jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2017, 01:25 AM   #8
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Yes, watch is devalued as there are many among us (including me) who wouldn't buy it at all now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2017, 01:36 AM   #9
lhanddds
Banned

Watch: of course
Too late now but should go with a recognized independent watchmaker rather than the RSC, on vintage watches. Generally speaking that is.
lhanddds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2017, 05:25 AM   #10
fusionstorm
"TRF" Member

Watch: various vintage
While this may not hold true for every RSC, I instructed the San Francisco RSC to not attempt any replacement of the dial, hands and bezel insert, or to polish the case, when I had my red Sub serviced. Made sure it was noted on the work order when they took my Sub from my unhappy hands. 8 weeks later, it was as beautiful as it ever was and runs like a champ.

To the OP, sorry to hear you got stuck with new hands. Hopefully they make it right, especially if you had instructed them not to replace any of the visible parts without your consent.

Gone.....never forgotten: 14000 F, 14060 V COSC, PAM 048, 16623 F, 1680 MK V 3.1M, 16800 matte 8.3M & 1655 MK IV 7.4M
fusionstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2017, 11:28 AM   #11
RC2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1675
Do you have a pic to post?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Member of Nylon Nation

Member of Nylon Nation
Red Sox Nation
Instagram watchguy97
RC2 is offline   Reply With Quote