The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 26 July 2017, 10:37 PM   #1
Zzoggie
"TRF" Member

1981 get gold vs 1979 get 1675 vs 1978 SD mk3

hi all,

I'm new here and just started on my vintage rolex journey and am looking for my 1st piece to celebrate my upcoming 40th bday. i've short listed 3 watches, can i please please get some advice.

1978 Sea Dweller MK3
1981 Early Gold GMT
1979 1675 GMT Faded black bezel (full set)

All 3 are around 17k usd and are from reputable watch shops recommended by Rolex Passion. I'm still learning on the ins and outs of vintage Rolexes but wanted to know a) if you see any issues b) is it worth the price c) which piece has the best upside.

many thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fourtane_06272017_41572_0002.jpg (111.0 KB, 258 views)
File Type: jpg fourtane_03062017_37995_0001.jpg (129.5 KB, 258 views)
File Type: jpg fourtane_03062017_37995_0002.jpg (128.6 KB, 255 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3055.jpg (142.1 KB, 255 views)
File Type: jpg 4_730cdc44-8b28-4a2a-a0ef-6e9e781c242d_grande.JPG (42.3 KB, 260 views)
Zzoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2017, 11:43 PM   #2
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
I vote full-set GMT. However, the three are so different that it would come down to personal preference. Try all three on and get what sings to you.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2017, 12:30 AM   #3
Zzoggie
"TRF" Member

Thks for ur feedback. Unfortunately I'm based in Asia and won't have the opportunity to try them on.

I was also considering a 5513 maxi dial or 1675 Pepsi.
Old 27 July 2017, 12:52 AM   #4
lpestre
2024 Pledge Member

This is 3 nice choices you have here.
You have to ask yourself, is it for every day, night out, etc..
After this 3 differents styles, are you comfortable with wearing gold? The GMT is a big piece of gold, it's not like wearing a 1803 on a strap.
After personally I would love it, but for everyday wear it's might be a bit too much for some.

For the GMT, having a full set is very nice, but often overpriced by seller and if you want to sell it after, it will help the sell but won't top up the price of 30%. But it's a gift for your birthday that I think you want to keep and pass it to your children. The thing that your children will love in the watch is the fact it was yours, I don't think they will really care about "some papers" with a different name on it.

Sea dweller is nice, but doesn't make me say "whoa ! what a watch", but still a nice watch.

For me the watches aren't overpriced, prices start around 15k for those models, but check here the trusted seller might have some really nice example also
lpestre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2017, 12:55 AM   #5
Zzoggie
"TRF" Member

Awesome advice lpestre :)
Old 27 July 2017, 01:06 AM   #6
bobandshawn
"TRF" Member

If all this planning and resources are going into the purchase - why not pick an actual "birth year" watch to commemorate? (1977)?

B
bobandshawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2017, 01:31 AM   #7
lpestre
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandshawn View Post
If all this planning and resources are going into the purchase - why not pick an actual "birth year" watch to commemorate? (1977)?

B
Forgot to mention this, also a good point.
Old 27 July 2017, 03:15 AM   #8
Zzoggie
"TRF" Member

@bobandshawn

Yea I did think about it but the only one I found this far was the 1675 Pepsi which was kinda normal too me...

@lpestre
For these shortlisted ones it would be daily use - 3-4times a week
Old 27 July 2017, 03:42 AM   #9
lpestre
2024 Pledge Member

No red submariner as a potential watch ? You could find some really nice exemple around this price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 27 July 2017, 05:43 AM   #10
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Be close between full set 1675 or great white SD....I think the full set gmt would edge it out for me personally. Completeness is always welcome on top of condition.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2017, 07:06 AM   #11
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

Says the group that said box and papers don't make any difference :-)

1675 matte is certainly on the rise. Common as road fill really.

Good anything is always a plus but the matte 1675 has been the low end man for decades...so now that all the dealers and speculators have already made their money on everything else and there is no room in the other watches and they move slowly at 20k + they are pushing the prices up on these...

The matte 16750 is a much rarer watch and a much better watch.

15k for a matte dial 1675 with papers?....WOW...that's a lot of money.

I'd take the a great white in a heartbeat. They made 1/10 as many probably if that. They have always had value and they are comparatively reasonably priced now in relation to the recently quickly inflated 1675 matte.

The 81 GMT has the wrong dial. In 81 it would have had a matte nipple dial.

If it were so equipped...I'll be contrary and say that is a life watch and my choice.
R.W.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2017, 07:46 AM   #12
Jp28
"TRF" Member

For what I have seen the 1675 is way overpriced given the case/condition even as a full set.
So that leaves th SD and GMT. Out of those I think the GMT would feel much more special so I would go with that for a birthday celebration.
Jp28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2017, 02:37 PM   #13
Lol-x
Facilitator

If the gold GMT was the earlier model had a 1575 movement and the earlier style smaller markers sale dial I would go with that.

However, I would say.....keep looking at this time.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2017, 02:46 PM   #14
btinl
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: on my wrist
Is that the GMT from Fourtane? If so, I've seen it in person and it's quite nice.
btinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2017, 03:24 PM   #15
Zzoggie
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=lpestre;7784410]No red submariner as a potential watch ? You could find some really nice exemple around this price.

Yes i did consider it but lucked out on one i was interested in.
Old 27 July 2017, 03:25 PM   #16
Zzoggie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.W.T. View Post
Says the group that said box and papers don't make any difference :-)

1675 matte is certainly on the rise. Common as road fill really.

Good anything is always a plus but the matte 1675 has been the low end man for decades...so now that all the dealers and speculators have already made their money on everything else and there is no room in the other watches and they move slowly at 20k + they are pushing the prices up on these...

The matte 16750 is a much rarer watch and a much better watch.

15k for a matte dial 1675 with papers?....WOW...that's a lot of money.

I'd take the a great white in a heartbeat. They made 1/10 as many probably if that. They have always had value and they are comparatively reasonably priced now in relation to the recently quickly inflated 1675 matte.

The 81 GMT has the wrong dial. In 81 it would have had a matte nipple dial.

If it were so equipped...I'll be contrary and say that is a life watch and my choice.
According to the dealer, the 81 GMT would have been one of the first gold GMTs offered with a luminous matte dial after the discontinuing of the nipple dials.
Old 27 July 2017, 03:48 PM   #17
Zzoggie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btinl View Post
Is that the GMT from Fourtane? If so, I've seen it in person and it's quite nice.
hi yes.
Old 28 July 2017, 12:45 AM   #18
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandshawn View Post

B
Because that greatly narrows/restricts a search for a nice vintage piece, making condition secondary. I view buying a vintage watch similar to real estate, in some ways. Instead of location, location, location, it's condition, condition, condition. Imagine buying a house primarily based on the year it was built. Not an exact analogy, I know, but there are similarities.

Also, exact years on vintage Rolexes are notoriously tough to pin down, especially on post-1973 models that don't have dates stamped into the case back. Sure, you can estimate via a serial number, but it's only an approximation.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2017, 05:49 PM   #19
Zzoggie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
Because that greatly narrows/restricts a search for a nice vintage piece, making condition secondary. I view buying a vintage watch similar to real estate, in some ways. Instead of location, location, location, it's condition, condition, condition. Imagine buying a house primarily based on the year it was built. Not an exact analogy, I know, but there are similarities.

Also, exact years on vintage Rolexes are notoriously tough to pin down, especially on post-1973 models that don't have dates stamped into the case back. Sure, you can estimate via a serial number, but it's only an approximation.
well said!