The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 20 July 2017, 12:13 AM   #31
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmade View Post
Was at the AP boutique in NYC on Saturday. They had none in stock for steel for me to try on but told me I could put a deposit down and have one with a short wait. I didn't ask the sales lady to define a short wait but I can't imagine it being as a long as a wait for a Nautilus.

I went to the AP AD in Houston today and they told me the steel version isn't a boutique only piece and could get me one.
Nothing compared to 5711/12 wait times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramonesf2 View Post
Let me ask this. Is it worth selling my Milgauss Z-Blue, JLC MUT Moon Black Dial, and 15400 to get the 15202?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Think that's too much, the 400 and one of the other should almost do the trick, maybe add a little cash
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2017, 02:09 AM   #32
jem7v
Banned

I didn't think of it but it's not a bad idea for 15202 owners who don't wear it every day to either put it on a winder, or wear it within the same date as it's already set.

I have a cartier watch that I got long ago that I had to set the date like the 15202, it drove me insane. I never wear the watch for that reason.

For anyone looking for a 15202 at full price, the NY boutique can get one for you within a couple months. It's not hard AT ALL to get one, if you want to pay full retail in the US.
jem7v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2017, 03:49 AM   #33
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
Nothing compared to 5711/12 wait times
I know! I can't even get on a wait list for a white 5711 at this point without being a prior PP customer.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2017, 05:24 AM   #34
WatchingAustin
"TRF" Member

Watch: iwatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
Have you tried setting the date this way?
Yep. Still a huge pain, the crown and stem are TINY. Feels very delicate, I bet most people feel hesitation or annoyance having to change the date 3+ times.

Also you can actually change the date by going from 11 to 1.. Saves you one a couple of turns per change.
WatchingAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2017, 05:27 AM   #35
Lordofrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes Please!
Any of the grey dealers on here can find you a BNIB. Similar in price to the AD price.

Follow me on Instagram: @b_jakobovich
Lordofrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2017, 07:55 PM   #36
SpeedyTuomas
"TRF" Member

My experience:
No discount from AP Boutiques, put my name on a list at one boutique and their estimate is delivery next year. The watch feels very good on the wrist and has perfect proportions.
SpeedyTuomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2017, 04:15 AM   #37
ufboy73
Banned

it looks like the blue 15202 ss is a few week wait from a US boutique - am i coreect in thinking discount on the blue dial would be zero-to-small from the boutique?

separately, do they tend to discount 44m offshores like the ce at all?
ufboy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2017, 04:28 AM   #38
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufboy73 View Post
it looks like the blue 15202 ss is a few week wait from a US boutique - am i coreect in thinking discount on the blue dial would be zero-to-small from the boutique?

separately, do they tend to discount 44m offshores like the ce at all?
Some have reported as much as 10% discount from the US boutiques but others are reported no luck. With the 15202 I would assume 0% chance of discount. 44 maybe.

Honestly if you want a 44ce I recommend calling some ADs. Much better pricing.
Old 24 July 2017, 04:37 AM   #39
ufboy73
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Some have reported as much as 10% discount from the US boutiques but others are reported no luck. With the 15202 I would assume 0% chance of discount. 44 maybe.

Honestly if you want a 44ce I recommend calling some ADs. Much better pricing.
thanks, pretty much the way i figured lay of the land was
ufboy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2017, 04:44 AM   #40
ramonesf2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Lange
I tried on the 15202or this past weekend at an AD and I have to say I prefer the 15400 on my 6.75" wrists. I will not be upgrading.

ramonesf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2017, 05:15 AM   #41
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I tried on the 15202or this past weekend at an AD and I have to say I prefer the 15400 on my 6.75" wrists. I will not be upgrading.
Really?

I have the same size wrist and tried on the 15202OR also and preferred the 15202 to my current 15400. I wear my 15400 more as a dress watch to work with long sleeve dress shirts so that's probably why I prefer the smaller dressier RO compared to the bigger and sportier 15400.
Old 24 July 2017, 05:20 AM   #42
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmade View Post
Really?

I have the same size wrist and tried on the 15202OR also and preferred the 15202 to my current 15400. I wear my 15400 more as a dress watch to work with long sleeve dress shirts so that's probably why I prefer the smaller dressier RO compared to the bigger and sportier 15400.
My wrist 7.5" and I also much prefer size, proportions and looks of 39mm RO over 41mm.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2017, 05:20 AM   #43
ramonesf2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Lange
I want the Royal oak as a sport watch. I have my Lange for dress. Maybe that is a bias

ramonesf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2017, 07:59 PM   #44
HL65

Quote:
I want the Royal oak as a sport watch. I have my Lange for dress. Maybe that is a bias

For me RO not a dress watch but is perfect sporty casual dress up or down kind of watch. That is what I love about them!

So I wear with shorts and tee shirt or a suit and doesn't matter always looks and feels great!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 26 July 2017, 05:44 AM   #45
SpeedyTuomas
"TRF" Member

Saw one available in Venice, Italy a few weeks ago if someone is interested.
SpeedyTuomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2017, 06:35 AM   #46
Sammk
"TRF" Member

Watch: & learn
So what's the winding issue?

And if it's not quick set date, how do you change the date?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexavidfan View Post
I got mine last April though no discount.

I have friends who got theirs but decided to sell due to the winding and date changing issue.

I was forewarned but I am ok on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sammk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2017, 06:47 AM   #47
HL65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammk View Post
So what's the winding issue?

And if it's not quick set date, how do you change the date?
It is very easy and not a big deal to change date. You have to rotate hands back between 10:00 and 2:00 to advance date. Now if you had to do full 24 hour rotation that would be a pain in butt. It isn't that big of a deal trust me and well worth it with what you get in one of best watches around!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 28 July 2017, 09:31 PM   #48
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
15202 Availability

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
It is very easy and not a big deal to change date. You have to rotate hands back between 10:00 and 2:00 to advance date. Now if you had to do full 24 hour rotation that would be a pain in butt. It isn't that big of a deal trust me and well worth it with what you get in one of best watches around!

Thanks for chiming in. What I have personally discovered is that it is difficult to wind, change time and change Date through the 10 to 1 mode due to the hexagonal crown which keeps slipping and locking and which needs to be pulled out to continue winding. By the way, it's not a double sealed type of crown like those found on Rolex but the old fashioned 70s style pull the crown to wind or change time.

Hence, a winder would really come in handy for the Jumbo. So don't forget to buy a winder if you buy a Jumbo. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go for the timepiece you love. You will save more. ...
Rolexavidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2017, 08:58 AM   #49
Recon
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS 1815 Chrono
Quote:
by new do you mean AD only or BNIB from a grey dealer?

From a grey dealer, not very hard. From an AD you need to go to a boutique I'm pretty sure unless the US still makes them available to AD's

Huh?? 15202st is a boutique only piece now? Are they not supplying their ADs with the 15202 anymore?
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2017, 09:06 AM   #50
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon View Post
Huh?? 15202st is a boutique only piece now? Are they not supplying their ADs with the 15202 anymore?
ADs get them but much more restricted. Maybe a few a year. AP cut back allocations this year to regular ADs apparently.
Old 2 August 2017, 09:56 AM   #51
Recon
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS 1815 Chrono
Quote:
ADs get them but much more restricted. Maybe a few a year. AP cut back allocations this year to regular ADs apparently.

I checked some other threads and apparently, AP has pulled the 15202 from ADs in other countries (eg. UK and South Korea). I guess the US is the only survivor in terms of ADs getting allocations.. maybe it has to do with the US being a bigger country with more demand?

I sure hope my AD gets at least 2 per year because I'm #3 on the list
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2017, 10:48 AM   #52
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon View Post
I checked some other threads and apparently, AP has pulled the 15202 from ADs in other countries (eg. UK and South Korea). I guess the US is the only survivor in terms of ADs getting allocations.. maybe it has to do with the US being a bigger country with more demand?

I sure hope my AD gets at least 2 per year because I'm #3 on the list
my guess is the opposite. Bigger country and less demand (overall sales may be higher than a european country but sales as a percent of population, is much much lower). Plus, the few boutiques are really spread out in the US so it makes sense to still give AD's 15202's.

I was pretty surprised that Houston which is the 4th largest city in the US has one AP AD in the entire city. There is a second, but it is out of town a ways. The closest boutique is 1000 miles away so "boutique only" is a bit harder to do in cases like that. They had a blue dial 15400 for example. If AP opens more US boutiques they may stick to boutique only really meaning boutique only but it seems that most AD's can get a hold of some of the watches that other countries only have in a boutique.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2017, 11:59 AM   #53
jem7v
Banned

Quote:
my guess is the opposite. Bigger country and less demand (overall sales may be higher than a european country but sales as a percent of population, is much much lower). Plus, the few boutiques are really spread out in the US so it makes sense to still give AD's 15202's.

I was pretty surprised that Houston which is the 4th largest city in the US has one AP AD in the entire city. There is a second, but it is out of town a ways. The closest boutique is 1000 miles away so "boutique only" is a bit harder to do in cases like that. They had a blue dial 15400 for example. If AP opens more US boutiques they may stick to boutique only really meaning boutique only but it seems that most AD's can get a hold of some of the watches that other countries only have in a boutique.
I like how everyone is finally figuring this out. Rather than call me insane for being able to get a 15202 even at a discount. Whereas before people thought it was impossible to even find one, let alone a discount. Right now the 15407 temporarily seems to be the latest to fall under this misconception. I'm sure that will change soon as has the 15202 already. But I guess all of this only applies in America :).
jem7v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2017, 12:10 PM   #54
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem7v View Post
I like how everyone is finally figuring this out. Rather than call me insane for being able to get a 15202 even at a discount. Whereas before people thought it was impossible to even find one, let alone a discount. Right now the 15407 temporarily seems to be the latest to fall under this misconception. I'm sure that will change soon as has the 15202 already. But I guess all of this only applies in America :).
Old 2 August 2017, 12:18 PM   #55
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
yeah. Im not talking discounts as i don't know. Just overall outside Miami, NYC, LA, or Vegas you would be hard pressed to find anyone who isn't into watches who even knows what an AP is. It wouldn't surprise me if they were "easier" to get, I'm not sure about big discounts though.

I also tried on every Patek in Houston last week too. Literally every single one. They were super nice at the AD but one AD not counting Tiffany which had 4 watches is ridiculous for the fourth largest city in the country which is also full of plenty people with oil and gas money to spend on watches. So its not just AP. The non rolex watch game in most of the US is pretty weak. One AP AD and one Patek AD yet they have Bentley, Lamborghini, and Ferrari dealerships. Something is off with that.

the 15407 is a stretch if you are implying discount.
Old 2 August 2017, 12:36 PM   #56
texasmade
"TRF" Member

The Houston PP AD actually had a decent selection when I went a couple of months ago to check it out. Houston has an AD for every brand there is. It's just unfortunately only 1 AD so you can't really cross shop and if the AD doesn't have the model you want to try on you're SOL.
Old 2 August 2017, 01:21 PM   #57
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
yeah. Im not talking discounts as i don't know. Just overall outside Miami, NYC, LA, or Vegas you would be hard pressed to find anyone who isn't into watches who even knows what an AP is. It wouldn't surprise me if they were "easier" to get, I'm not sure about big discounts though.

I also tried on every Patek in Houston last week too. Literally every single one. They were super nice at the AD but one AD not counting Tiffany which had 4 watches is ridiculous for the fourth largest city in the country which is also full of plenty people with oil and gas money to spend on watches. So its not just AP. The non rolex watch game in most of the US is pretty weak. One AP AD and one Patek AD yet they have Bentley, Lamborghini, and Ferrari dealerships. Something is off with that.

the 15407 is a stretch if you are implying discount.
You are misinformed. The US is Pateks most important and profitable market. Thierry Stern said so himself recently before the exhibition.

Regarding the Houston AD...did they have dummy models? You tried on a 5950? 5208?
Old 2 August 2017, 10:56 PM   #58
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You are misinformed. The US is Pateks most important and profitable market. Thierry Stern said so himself recently before the exhibition.

Regarding the Houston AD...did they have dummy models? You tried on a 5950? 5208?
i tried on all they had. they were all working models. The selection was not great. Im not good with reference numbers but i know i tried on a 5070 and a couple perpetual calendars and a world time. They mostly had 3 hand dress watches. They were literally handing me one watch after another to try. Never experienced that in london before as there they seem less keen to pull out everything when they know you are just looking. Especially 6 figure pieces.

Yes the US is the largest market for patek but the population base is huge. Im willing to bet per capita more british own a patek than american. Im not talking gross sales, just brand awareness as i have found other than Rolex, brand knowledge in general of other watch brands is lower vs europe. I am an american so that is true for everyone I know in real life who isn't into watches. But, i also don't spend any time in NYC or Miami, or LA etc.
Old 3 August 2017, 12:27 AM   #59
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
I'd jump all over this!
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=552174
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2017, 12:33 AM   #60
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
Lord knows I'm tempted. Thanh is the hands down best to deal with on trf as well