The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 18 May 2016, 09:53 PM   #1
trackpad
"TRF" Member

Tudor 7928 Gilt Dial Evaluation

I find gathering info on early Tudor Subs like pulling teeth – just not many good resources to draw on for checking the accuracy of various references, as far as I can tell.

Here is a watch I was considering, advertized as "all original" 7928 from 1967, with a gilt dial. The bezel seems correct. Overall looks beautiful to me (though I'm not sure how other people see the lume patina – I think it's aging nicely.

But one niggle about the dial – should the text not be gold? Is white text to be expected on these dials ...even so called gilt dials?

Any insights or info would be welcome and appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2016-05-18 12.58.44.jpg (52.0 KB, 384 views)
trackpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2016, 10:57 PM   #2
linesiders
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: U Talkn Bout Wilis
Nice Tudor - they wear well and are fun pieces. That one looks good overall but the plots are a little more moldy/fungus. Sweet insert, good case, Big Bubble Sweep ;) . Unless a deal, I would wait out for a better one to come along.

Tudor full "Gilt" dials ended about 1963, had the gilt chapter ring track below the black with Gilt text above the track. Exclamation dials and Underlines mixed up over time.

Late 63ish but 64 and much of 65 had the gilt chapter ring track below the black with Silver Print text above the track

65ish - 67 7928 dials were later minute has dials with gilt hash marks that usually only looked gilt in sun or after moisture / age damage. Fonts are white unless affected by moisture or age.

Here is a 67 I had for a little bit with killer patina
Old 19 May 2016, 05:49 AM   #3
trackpad
"TRF" Member

@linesiders Thanks so much! Great overview...extremely useful! Sounds like no exclamation point or underline on a '67 should not be of concern.

I don't know what merits a good deal in this reference – if I recall it's on offer or around 7.5k, and could be had for slightly less. Perhaps I should list a WTB and see what shows up.
Old 19 May 2016, 05:53 AM   #4
trackpad
"TRF" Member

@linesiders I would say looking at the '67 you owned, your seconds hand and the one I brought into question are not the same – or is it just the angle? Looks like the lume dot is slightly smaller on yours.
Old 19 May 2016, 07:20 AM   #5
linesiders
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackpad View Post
@linesiders Thanks so much! Great overview...extremely useful! Sounds like no exclamation point or underline on a '67 should not be of concern.

I don't know what merits a good deal in this reference – if I recall it's on offer or around 7.5k, and could be had for slightly less. Perhaps I should list a WTB and see what shows up.
Exclamation and underlines were typically 61 to 63.

7.5K is (IMO) too much for that watch. I don't have any for sale right now but I have a friend with one under 6k with similar / slightly nicer patina but small sweep. The 66/67 7928 (and rose 68-69 7016, 67-69 Omegas and others) were prone the mold.

Quote:
@linesiders I would say looking at the '67 you owned, your seconds hand and the one I brought into question are not the same – or is it just the angle? Looks like the lume dot is slightly smaller on yours.

You are correct. One of the problems with the big sweep is that the lume is more likely to crack and fall. The hands on that 67 were replaced at service many years before with a small sweep. Many 66/67s will have had that occur and had the hands replaced.

1964-65 and some 66s can be found with the small sweep from the factory. Some 66s and all (??) 67s should have the big sweep.

Here is my friends 66 0 I can pout you in touch with him if you want:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 66-7928-gilt-min-hash.JPG (126.2 KB, 340 views)
Old 19 May 2016, 02:10 PM   #6
trackpad
"TRF" Member

Sure. Would like to see some better, natural light photos, so by all means send me a PM and put me in touch or send me a link to the listing.

When you say small sweep and big sweep, is this defined by the size of the...disc?...or...lolli (for lack of a better word) on the sweep itself? Or is it the length of the sweep hand?

Also (possibly related) in the photo of your friend's piece it looks like the sweep breaches the minute track – in fact breaches, if only barely, the bounds of the dial...which I feel like I was told would be a sign of it having been replaced at some point?

Any general thoughts/comments on where one should expect to see the sweep hand terminate on this reference? Halfway into the minute track markers...or at the end of the markers?...but certainly not passed the markers or the dial, or? :-)
Old 19 May 2016, 11:11 PM   #7
linesiders
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Sure. Would like to see some better, natural light photos, so by all means send me a PM and put me in touch or send me a link to the listing.
I'll send you a PM for your contact info.

Quote:
When you say small sweep and big sweep, is this defined by the size of the...disc?...or...lolli (for lack of a better word) on the sweep itself? Or is it the length of the sweep hand?

Also (possibly related) in the photo of your friend's piece it looks like the sweep breaches the minute track – in fact breaches, if only barely, the bounds of the dial...which I feel like I was told would be a sign of it having been replaced at some point?

Any general thoughts/comments on where one should expect to see the sweep hand terminate on this reference? Halfway into the minute track markers...or at the end of the markers?...but certainly not passed the markers or the dial, or? :-)
Small bubble / Big Bubble is the size of the luminous circle on the seconds hand.

1) Keep in mind crystal shape distorts where the tip of the seconds hand hits (see attached photo). 2) Rolex is more accurate on those dimensions than Tudor 3) I believe that saying is more accurate on gilt track chapter ring dials than hash mark dials 4) Yes, sometimes that is still indicative of being replaced.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 66-7928-gilt-min-hash2.jpg (119.5 KB, 314 views)
Old 20 May 2016, 06:04 AM   #8
trackpad
"TRF" Member

This thread has the best info I've gotten so far on this reference. Thanks for taking the time and I'll look for the PM.
Old 29 July 2017, 12:25 AM   #9
KITT
"TRF" Member

Great info. Question: does the green patina mean mould? does it mean that the value of the watch is less? I am currently looking at one that is very green~! will try to post pix.
Thanks
KITT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2017, 05:29 AM   #10
Gina Marie
"TRF" Member

not to pile on but the other 7928 has the wrong insert, right? should be a mark 2.....
Gina Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2017, 06:09 AM   #11
rolstaff
Banned

Watch: GMT
For comparison this is a nice 7928 with CR dial and original hands.......

rolstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2017, 01:30 PM   #12
linesiders
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolstaff View Post
For comparison this is a nice 7928 with CR dial and original hands.......

Nice 64/65 (rare 66) - Those had the small sweep