The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 12 February 2016, 11:16 PM   #1
Burrost1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex red 1680
Rolex Red 1680 1973 daily wearer

Guys I've thinned my watch collection down to one..a 1973 red sub, see attached pic. One question I have are these watches ok for daily wearing? I more concerned about lume breakage as I'll never match them again. I omnly work in an office and never do any manual work in it but just wanted some advice
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 9 (2).jpg (106.6 KB, 706 views)
Burrost1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2016, 11:26 PM   #2
calj_whyte
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116200BLCAO
Seems to have held up over the last 43 years... Don't worry.
calj_whyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2016, 11:29 PM   #3
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calj_whyte View Post
x2

YES. Buy it and enjoy it.

It's meant to be worn, not kept in a desk.
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2016, 11:47 PM   #4
Zoran
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1655 Mark 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by calj_whyte View Post
Exactly
They are built to last! If you ever encounter a problem with any of the lume, it will be a matter of finding a matching set or have them relumed.

Enjoy that beauty!
Old 13 February 2016, 01:36 AM   #5
Robbyvm
"TRF" Member

wear the hell out of it, it was created for this purpose...
Old 13 February 2016, 01:40 AM   #6
JJL
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680 Red & 16622
First off, nice watch!!

As far as a daily wearer, I guess I have mixed feelings about it and I really think it depends on the person... based on their own financial situation, as well as their desire to keep the dial in good shape and possibly keep it as a family heirloom.

I purchased a Red 1680 a year ago. I also work in an office and for the most part, it's my daily wearer. I also wear it for light work around the house and don't necessarily baby it (unless I'm near water as explained below). I'd say about 6/7 days per week. With that being said, I wear it less in the summer (especially weekends) because I'm likely to be at the beach or pool. The value of this watch is a BIG chunk of change for me personally, so I am very careful to keep it away from possibly being submerged in water. It would most likely not be an issue if it did (it is a Submariner after all) but again, for me it's not worth the risk of ruining the dial (since a lot of the value of a Red 1680 is in the dial).

Therefor, I could never have it as my 1 single, true daily beater. I need another watch to wear for when I go on vacations, and near water.

my 2 cents
JJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2016, 02:14 AM   #7
Don Valley
"TRF" Member

Wearing it wouldn't bother me, and worrying about the lume is pointless.
My own thread, a bit further down is about a piece of lume dropping out of the hour hand.
It happened.
It's getting fixed and I can't wait to get the watch back and in use again.
Don Valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2016, 02:32 AM   #8
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
That dial looks to be in great shape wouldn't think normal wear is going to hurt at all ... Enjoy it's a beauty
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2016, 04:54 AM   #9
theflywrist
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texex91 View Post
x2

YES. Buy it and enjoy it.

It's meant to be worn, not kept in a desk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoran View Post
Exactly
They are built to last! If you ever encounter a problem with any of the lume, it will be a matter of finding a matching set or have them relumed.

Enjoy that beauty!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJL View Post
First off, nice watch!!

As far as a daily wearer, I guess I have mixed feelings about it and I really think it depends on the person... based on their own financial situation, as well as their desire to keep the dial in good shape and possibly keep it as a family heirloom.

I purchased a Red 1680 a year ago. I also work in an office and for the most part, it's my daily wearer. I also wear it for light work around the house and don't necessarily baby it (unless I'm near water as explained below). I'd say about 6/7 days per week. With that being said, I wear it less in the summer (especially weekends) because I'm likely to be at the beach or pool. The value of this watch is a BIG chunk of change for me personally, so I am very careful to keep it away from possibly being submerged in water. It would most likely not be an issue if it did (it is a Submariner after all) but again, for me it's not worth the risk of ruining the dial (since a lot of the value of a Red 1680 is in the dial).

Therefor, I could never have it as my 1 single, true daily beater. I need another watch to wear for when I go on vacations, and near water.

my 2 cents
Interesting topic OP and very nice feedback.
I too wear the hell out of my 1680 anywhere, with the only limitation of getting inside a pool.
I don't like the idea of water entering the watch, even if pressure tested. That is just me being paranoid.
Other than that I am sporting it pretty much doing anything. In summers with the patina shining, there is nothing better to stare at!!

On that note I would like to ask about a thing I have read that people do.
I have read that some guys put some sort of tape, or something like that (not sure what exactly), in the back of the plots/hands, to stabilise the lume.
I am not sure if this is a good idea or is advisable.

I do know that I have seen much older watches that have obviously loved longer and still look great!
I guess we can worry if something ever happens. Which like the first poster said "Seems to have held up over the last 43 years... "
Should not be a problem!
theflywrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2016, 05:15 AM   #10
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Wear it and enjoy it. Vintage Rolex are tough.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2016, 09:13 AM   #11
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJL View Post
First off, nice watch!!

my 2 cents
Pretty much same here with my 1680 - just don't see the point in taking any unnecessary chances with water. If it was to unintentionally get a very quick dunk, then no real concern but I don't risk it anymore re the pool etc - that where it's great grandson the 114060 comes in!
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2016, 09:40 AM   #12
Burrost1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex red 1680
Guys thanks so much! I think everyone of you is similar to me! I never intentionally wear mine in water, it's has a Rolex service so should be good but no point in risking it! Might bag a used sea dweller as a 'holiday' watch!

Would like to know about this glue:tape that secures the line, I've heard that mentioned before!
Burrost1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2016, 05:50 PM   #13
Perpetual74
"TRF" Member

Great watch, in very nice conditions... I use it every day... carefully.. But with the watch I do not even wash my hands...
Perpetual74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2016, 10:42 PM   #14
zapokee
"TRF" Member

I jog, labor and shower in mine, and have it pressure tested a couple of times a year. Don't want to spend that much money and be too worried to wear it whenever and wherever I want.

Totally respect that some people wish to be more careful, though.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2016, 11:09 PM   #15
texex91
"TRF" Member

As I've been trying to add more pieces, I've been cycling through 1680 and 1675...daily. Great daily pieces IMHO.
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2016, 11:26 PM   #16
rod727
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 116610
I would be honored to wear it daily.......gorgeous watch
rod727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2016, 11:29 PM   #17
Malaysia Mel
"TRF" Member

Wear your 1680 and enjoy with no fears

IMO the Rolex 1680 is a wear it and forget it kind of watch. I have been wearing my 1969 Submariner since the day I got it and it has been subjected to more than average abuse and it still looks OK and keeps great time. I shower with it on, I wear it when doing around the house carpentry, diving... what ever.
Malaysia Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2016, 01:38 AM   #18
sishac
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 5512
While I don't have a red 1680, I've got a 5512, 1675 and 1680, as well as a Speedmaster Professional, Seamaster Professional (blue wave dial) and a SM300, and I wear them every day....the only time I don't wear a watch is while I am mowing the lawn in the spring/summer or working out. In the summer, at the beach or in a pool, I wear the most modern watch, the Omega SMP on a nato strap. Enjoy the watches, don't baby them...as another poster said, they're 40+ years old at this point, they will be fine. Oh, but definitely keep it serviced and pressure tested!!! Enjoy!
sishac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2016, 02:00 AM   #19
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: my fins
fine watch , but personally , id not be swimming with it. even pressure tested.
dysondiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2016, 04:16 AM   #20
jfmiii
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750/16800/126710
definitely fine for daily wear. however, id consider getting something for a travel/beater watch. a 16800 or 16700 would be a great choice, esp a matte 16800. will give you the vintage feel but with a sapphire will take anything you throw at it.
jfmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2017, 05:23 AM   #21
Styles Bitchley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
While this is an old thread, it resonates so much for me that I wanted to share my thoughts. I've been using my 1970 red sub as my daily wearer for 23 years - office work, yard work, swimming, shower, working out, chasing the kids, etc.

I may be in the minority, but I'm actually a bit frustrated that the red has become so collectible! I want to keep it as my watch - it really is a part of me and I've maintained it obsessively. But with the prices they are fetching these days, I can't help worrying about damaging it. It's so beautiful that it doesn't deserve to sit in a safe somewhere. As a man of somewhat modest means (relatively), do I sell it and let someone else take care of it while I snag a 16800 as a more robust downgrade. Where's the line?

Very interested in what the knowledgeable guys in this awesome forum have to say.
Styles Bitchley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2017, 05:39 AM   #22
JP Chestnut
Banned

Watch: Rolex Ref 16600
I'd be more worried about the crystal retention ring rusting than the lume, assuming you're going to wear it for all activities. Your call, but I'd probably wear something.
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2017, 05:45 AM   #23
mattedialdoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styles Bitchley View Post
While this is an old thread, it resonates so much for me that I wanted to share my thoughts. I've been using my 1970 red sub as my daily wearer for 23 years - office work, yard work, swimming, shower, working out, chasing the kids, etc.
As a man of somewhat modest means (relatively), do I sell it and let someone else take care of it while I snag a 16800 as a more robust downgrade. Where's the line?

Very interested in what the knowledgeable guys in this awesome forum have to say.

Have it serviced, put a service Dome and new Crown/tube, and WEAR IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT for the next 23 yrs.

Save the old parts for if you sell it, so some OCD WIS can feel all warm and fuzzy about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mattedialdoc is offline   Reply With Quote