The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 25 July 2017, 01:46 AM   #1
sirish19
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP-VC-AP
Watch magnetized at airport??

Following a recent business trip to Europe, I found that one of my watches began running fast, really fast. I carried 4 watches on my trip, Rolex Sub Ceramic (which I wore on my wrist on the airplane and through all security points) and a Vacheron Constantin Patrimony, Patek Philippe 5146G Annual Calendar and AP 15202ST in a watch roll that was put through the x-ray machines. After returning from this trip, my VC was running fast by about 1 minute per day. The rest were running fine. I took the watch in to VC today and they confirmed that the watch was magnetized and was running 1 minute/day fast. Fortunately, they were able to demagnetize it free of charge and it is running within spec again. They suggested that the most probably culprit was going through security at the airport.

Has anyone experienced this before? Where a watch got magnetized and began keeping erratic time? I am curious why it was only the VC that was magnetized (the AP Jumbo is also an ultra-thin movement) and not the others.
Old 25 July 2017, 01:50 AM   #2
Shaky
"TRF" Member

Not sure actually, my watches have been through the rapids an machines a few times with no problem. That could just be luck though. Was there anything else in you bag ?? Travel speaker or iPad with magnetic cover on it ??
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2017, 02:02 AM   #3
sirish19
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaky View Post
Not sure actually, my watches have been through the rapids an machines a few times with no problem. That could just be luck though. Was there anything else in you bag ?? Travel speaker or iPad with magnetic cover on it ??

Thanks. One thing that I can think of, I did have the watch roll in my camera bag and I also had a magnetic car mount holder in the bag along with it. Could it have been that that magnet was strong enough and that it was positioned close to the VC enough to magnetize it?? That would be very interesting.
Old 25 July 2017, 02:03 AM   #4
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirish19 View Post
Thanks. One thing that I can think of, I did have the watch roll in my camera bag and I also had a magnetic car mount holder in the bag along with it. Could it have been that that magnet was strong enough and that it was positioned close to the VC enough to magnetize it?? That would be very interesting.
If it really was magnetized it would run a lot faster then a minute a day.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2017, 02:07 AM   #5
SeaDweller50
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M 2 liner
Agreed. Why is is that any watch running a little fast must have been magnetised. It would take an extremely strong magnetic field to affect a modern day Rolex. None that you would ever come into contact with at an airport.
SeaDweller50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2017, 02:10 AM   #6
Shaky
"TRF" Member

I mentioned the iPad case because it has been brought up on here before. I would envisage that being a lot smaller magnet than your car mount.

At least it's fixed now.
Old 25 July 2017, 02:13 AM   #7
socalwatchcollector
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pateks Plural
Agree with Airborne and MonBK, I just don't see this as a magnetic issue regardless of what the AD said.
socalwatchcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2017, 02:22 AM   #8
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalwatchcollector View Post
Agree with Airborne and MonBK, I just don't see this as a magnetic issue regardless of what the AD said.
What an AD says and my cat poops I usually put on the same pile.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2017, 02:28 AM   #9
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne View Post
Agreed. Why is is that any watch running a little fast must have been magnetised. It would take an extremely strong magnetic field to affect a modern day Rolex. None that you would ever come into contact with at an airport.
It wasn't the Rolex per the OP
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2017, 02:40 AM   #10
904VT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Following a recent business trip to Europe, I found that one of my watches began running fast, really fast. I carried 4 watches on my trip, Rolex Sub Ceramic (which I wore on my wrist on the airplane and through all security points) and a Vacheron Constantin Patrimony, Patek Philippe 5146G Annual Calendar and AP 15202ST in a watch roll that was put through the x-ray machines. After returning from this trip, my VC was running fast by about 1 minute per day. The rest were running fine. I took the watch in to VC today and they confirmed that the watch was magnetized and was running 1 minute/day fast. Fortunately, they were able to demagnetize it free of charge and it is running within spec again. They suggested that the most probably culprit was going through security at the airport.

Has anyone experienced this before? Where a watch got magnetized and began keeping erratic time? I am curious why it was only the VC that was magnetized (the AP Jumbo is also an ultra-thin movement) and not the others.
The AP 2121 is a full rotor movement, but the Patrimony's 1400 is manual wind. I don't know the thickness of the case walls on both, but I'd imagine the Patrimony to be thinner and less protective of all things magnetic, shock, temperature etc., probably making it a little more delicate overall.

Sorry, to hear about your VC, hope you get it fixed to your liking asap

Great collection of pieces btw
Old 25 July 2017, 02:41 AM   #11
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

Not necessarily true.. The degree which a watch can be magnetized is not binary. Different degrees depending on exposure

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
watchucallit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2017, 02:47 AM   #12
jsg1976
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear of the experience. Congrats on a great collection though. But no GMT watches on your travels?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jsg1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2017, 02:51 AM   #13
904VT
"TRF" Member

Forgot to mention your Patek has that awesome (IMO) Gyromax
Old 25 July 2017, 02:58 AM   #14
qhbl
"TRF" Member

Every time I walk past a hot looking bird, my whole body gets magentized!!

Rolex Submariner Yellow Gold Black Dial 116618LN - 2016
qhbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2017, 03:20 AM   #15
BiH115
"TRF" Member

Watch: your mouth!
Interesting account, thanks for sharing!

Not that related, but we just recently went to Europe, and this being my first Rolex (BLNR), I was completely paranoid of how the TSA process would go. I ended up stowing the watch in the CASEBUDi I brought along prior to the checkpoint, for fear of having to take it off and throwing it into a crate where it would be tossed around and scratched to hell. Can anyone confirm if our watches make the detectors go off? Does TSA make you take it off for any reason?
BiH115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2017, 03:23 AM   #16
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Have to agree but there could be several degrees of being magnetised and very unlikely it was any airport Xray machine.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2017, 03:43 AM   #17
Shaky
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiH115 View Post

Not that related, but we just recently went to Europe, and this being my first Rolex (BLNR), I was completely paranoid of how the TSA process would go. I ended up stowing the watch in the CASEBUDi I brought along prior to the checkpoint, for fear of having to take it off and throwing it into a crate where it would be tossed around and scratched to hell. Can anyone confirm if our watches make the detectors go off? Does TSA make you take it off for any reason?
I have taken off many times and not had a problem with it stowed safely in my man bag.
I have also forgotten before and walked through the metal arches and there wasn't a problem either. Thought that was odd as it's quite a chunk of metal, so they must have been turned down quite a bit
Old 25 July 2017, 04:42 AM   #18
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko's
Quote:
I use to think that also, we just serviced two watches that got magnetized in shipping with USPS. One was 20 seconds a day and the other was 13 seconds a day. Both customers had them demagnetized locally and they were perfect afterwards. So it wasn't true in both of these cases.
toxicavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2017, 09:17 AM   #19
sirish19
"TRF" Member

Well, the AD tested it, said it was magnetized a bit, did something to it that he called "demagnetized" and now it is running within spec again. I am not exactly sure why they would lie about the magnetization and what else they could have done so quickly to get it back in order.

904VT is correct, the Patrimony is a manual wind and is an extremely thin case with no rotor or other to protect it.

I think it must have been car mount magnet as that is quite a strong magnet (capable of holding an iPhone 7).
Old 25 July 2017, 09:33 AM   #20
socalwatchcollector
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pateks Plural
Quote:
What an AD says and my cat poops I usually put on the same pile.

socalwatchcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2017, 09:39 AM   #21
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:

I never take off my AP 15400 when walking through TSA. Same when I would wear my Omega Seamaster 300M diver. Detector never went off so I assume your Rolex won't set it off either.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2017, 10:06 AM   #22
sirish19
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsg1976 View Post
Sorry to hear of the experience. Congrats on a great collection though. But no GMT watches on your travels?

Thanks. As I was visiting Switzerland and was going to take a tour of the AP factory and also visit the Museums of Patek and VC, I wanted to take watches from those respective brand on the trip. That left me with needing a beater for the flight so I was debating between the 16710 GMT Master II or my ceramic sub. Since I was in Europe for about three weeks I didn't necessarily need to jump back-and-forth between time zones so I went with the sub as it was a little more sturdy.

Old 25 July 2017, 10:28 AM   #23
sirish19
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I generally wear my watch when I am going through security unless they ask me to take it off. Then I will put it in my bag and have it run through the machine. I usually wouldn't put it on one of those little plastic trays. I found that some countries require you to take it off while others don't.

Old 25 July 2017, 04:01 PM   #24
jsg1976
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks. As I was visiting Switzerland and was going to take a tour of the AP factory and also visit the Museums of Patek and VC, I wanted to take watches from those respective brand on the trip. That left me with needing a beater for the flight so I was debating between the 16710 GMT Master II or my ceramic sub. Since I was in Europe for about three weeks I didn't necessarily need to jump back-and-forth between time zones so I went with the sub as it was a little more sturdy.

That sounds like an amazing trip!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
jsg1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2017, 05:46 PM   #25
watchluxus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not Enough
Quote:

Out of curiosity, how long must a business trip be in order to warrant carrying 100K+ in watches?
watchluxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2017, 09:40 PM   #26
sirish19
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchluxus View Post
Out of curiosity, how long must a business trip be in order to warrant carrying 100K+ in watches?

Haha, yeah, that was a bit excessive and I wouldn't do it again but since it was my first trip to Switzerland, I wanted those watches to see their birthplace. :-)

I normally just travel with my AP Jumbo or PP Annual Calendar (depending on the weather) and a Rolex beater.

Old 25 July 2017, 09:42 PM   #27
sirish19
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsg1976 View Post
That sounds like an amazing trip!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, it was absolutely amazing and the highlight was definitely the tour of the AP factory. I have an overview of my trip with pics posted in the AP forum, check it out when you have some time.

Old 25 July 2017, 09:49 PM   #28
BiH115
"TRF" Member

Watch: your mouth!
Quote:
I generally wear my watch when I am going through security unless they ask me to take it off. Then I will put it in my bag and have it run through the machine. I usually wouldn't put it on one of those little plastic trays. I found that some countries require you to take it off while others don't.

That's good information to know, appreciate it. I think I'll just continue to store it in the watch case before I walk up to the detectors, just seems like less hassle that way.
BiH115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2017, 09:49 PM   #29
sirish19
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 904VT View Post

Thanks, a lot of enablers on TRF have positively influenced my collection and negatively influenced my bank account.

Old 25 July 2017, 09:51 PM   #30
sirish19
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 904VT View Post
The AP 2121 is a full rotor movement, but the Patrimony's 1400 is manual wind. I don't know the thickness of the case walls on both, but I'd imagine the Patrimony to be thinner and less protective of all things magnetic, shock, temperature etc., probably making it a little more delicate overall.

Sorry, to hear about your VC, hope you get it fixed to your liking asap