The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 25 July 2017, 07:19 AM   #1
brmeyers
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...Your Thoughts
Forged Carbon 15706AU vs Ceramic Diver 15707CE

I found a very good price on a mint FC Diver 15706AU with 1 year extended warranty.

My first preference was the ceramic 15707CE, but this FC is $6K less than the few ceramics I have been able to hunt down worldwide.

My wrists don't handle the 44's and of all the 42's this is the lightest and sportiest I could find for use at gym, beach, activities etc.

I hear the debate on FC and some of the issues with it, and honestly that is my only hesitation vs ceramic. Colors are fine on both. Yellow strap will be a definite accessory.

I went through the whole lineup of AP 42's and these two are the finalists.

Can any FC diver owners help put my mind at rest with the FC case?
Or should I just wait and keep looking for a ceramic (and pay more).
I am not holding my breathe that Basel 2018 will bring back the CE or FC diver... Though it would be nice

Carbon-Diver.jpg
brmeyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2017, 07:46 AM   #2
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
I've had my FC diver for probably about 4 years now and has gotten more wrist time than any other watch I've ever owned and still looks new. AP pioneered the use of FC in watches so I'm sure there was some learning along the way on what parts are best to use FC (not bezels) and how to manufacture the compound for maximum strength and scratch resistance. Its an awesome material for watch cases and that's why other companies have followed.

I like the yellow color and the carved dial of the FC diver better than the orange and stamped dial of the ceramic. At a $6k price difference you could get a couple FC replacement cases if you needed. I've only had my ceramic 44mm for a few days now but at this time I still like the unique look of FC over ceramic.
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2017, 08:06 AM   #3
brmeyers
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by singe89 View Post
I've had my FC diver for probably about 4 years now and has gotten more wrist time than any other watch I've ever owned and still looks new. AP pioneered the use of FC in watches so I'm sure there was some learning along the way on what parts are best to use FC (not bezels) and how to manufacture the compound for maximum strength and scratch resistance. Its an awesome material for watch cases and that's why other companies have followed.

I like the yellow color and the carved dial of the FC diver better than the orange and stamped dial of the ceramic. At a $6k price difference you could get a couple FC replacement cases if you needed. I've only had my ceramic 44mm for a few days now but at this time I still like the unique look of FC over ceramic.
Thanks Jim, that is great feedback and a lot of good info...
Old 25 July 2017, 08:34 AM   #4
Manofsteelpt
"TRF" Member

Love the FC Diver... had a FC 44, and, was prolly my fav watch still to date. Mine took a beating and still looked great. It DID smooth out at the sharp edges a hair, but, this was only something I was able to notice along side a BN piece. AP FC ftw :-p
Old 25 July 2017, 09:09 AM   #5
andresoler1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona 6263
Hi! Like Jim, I’ve had my FC Diver for about the same time. It’s been everywhere with me as I do travel a lot for work. I personally prefer the FC to a ceramic one as I have a good friend who’s had one and it’s a beautiful piece. Unfortunately, his 5 year old son knocked it of a table and the case cracked like a piece of glass. It was brought to the AD and was gone for about 3 months and cost him and arm and a leg for the repairs. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
andresoler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2017, 11:36 AM   #6
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
As the guys say we gets lots of questions on FC durability and most responses are positive. I prefer the Ceramic case and its finish, and orange over yellow.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2017, 12:29 PM   #7
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

I prefer the look of the ceramic diver. It's a bit more modern looking than the forged carbon, IMO.
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2017, 01:18 PM   #8
brmeyers
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andresoler1 View Post
Hi! Like Jim, I’ve had my FC Diver for about the same time. It’s been everywhere with me as I do travel a lot for work. I personally prefer the FC to a ceramic one as I have a good friend who’s had one and it’s a beautiful piece. Unfortunately, his 5 year old son knocked it of a table and the case cracked like a piece of glass. It was brought to the AD and was gone for about 3 months and cost him and arm and a leg for the repairs. Hope this helps.

Did your friend have the ceramic that cracked?
No issues with your FC though, correct?
Old 25 July 2017, 01:23 PM   #9
brmeyers
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
As the guys say we gets lots of questions on FC durability and most responses are positive. I prefer the Ceramic case and its finish, and orange over yellow.
Thanks Neil... I think one AP ROO 42 and a Patek dress watch and I'll be set for a year
Old 25 July 2017, 01:36 PM   #10
andresoler1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brmeyers View Post
Did your friend have the ceramic that cracked?

No issues with your FC though, correct?

Correct buddy. Don’t get me wrong, the ceramic diver is a beautiful piece. I still remember drooling over it when I saw it 1st on Stan Wawrinka’s wrists in the Australian open finals back in 2014. Unfortunately, i was there over dinner at my mate’s place and saw the fall from a 4 foot table to a granite floor, could have been the angle of impact but the ceramic cracked from the upper left side where the rubber strap is connected down halfway the left side. It wasn’t a chip, it was a crack. With regards to my FC diver, no issues at all. And it’s been through the rough with me. It’s extremely light too which is something I prefer on casual days. Like wearing a G-Shock.

Old 25 July 2017, 01:44 PM   #11
APAP
"TRF" Member

Ceramic by a mile. I like FC but rubber crowns and non-brushed bezel are a deal breaker for me.

Finishing of ceramic is very intricate. Catches light in an amazing way.

FC doesn't also seem to be very durable. Here is a thread that's going on right now:

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=550503
APAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2017, 02:02 PM   #12
brmeyers
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Correct buddy. Don’t get me wrong, the ceramic diver is a beautiful piece. I still remember drooling over it when I saw it 1st on Stan Wawrinka’s wrists in the Australian open finals back in 2014. Unfortunately, i was there over dinner at my mate’s place and saw the fall from a 4 foot table to a granite floor, could have been the angle of impact but the ceramic cracked from the upper left side where the rubber strap is connected down halfway the left side. It wasn’t a chip, it was a crack. With regards to my FC diver, no issues at all. And it’s been through the rough with me. It’s extremely light too which is something I prefer on casual days. Like wearing a G-Shock.

It is the light weight that is so appealing. I want a high end workout, beach and activity watch that is lighter than SS Rolexes.
I love my SS Rolexes that I have had, but long for something lighter in weight.
Plus I really want to add an AP to my collection.
Both these divers are the best fit for what I am looking for.
Old 25 July 2017, 02:05 PM   #13
brmeyers
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APAP View Post
Ceramic by a mile. I like FC but rubber crowns and non-brushed bezel are a deal breaker for me.

Finishing of ceramic is very intricate. Catches light in an amazing way.

FC doesn't also seem to be very durable. Here is a thread that's going on right now:

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=550503
Seems both can have their issues, but I guess any watch we can find threads where stuff happens.
Honestly if the ceramic were more accessible and the same price as what I found, I would probably lean ceramic.
But all things being equal, it is close for me.
I do agree with you on rubber crowns and non-brushed bezel and finishing.
But FC is lighter in weight which is something I REALLY want as well.
Old 25 July 2017, 02:21 PM   #14
andresoler1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It is the light weight that is so appealing. I want a high end workout, beach and activity watch that is lighter than SS Rolexes.

My sentiments exactly. I’ve been reading all the other comments on your topic and we’ve got mixed reviews. I guess it really depends on what we really want to own as individuals. What really appealed to me was it’s weight. Literally like a G shock, in comparison to my 44mm Rose Gold Novelty which is like having a brick on my wrist. Don’t get me wrong, I’m a sucker for AP’s and have been a fan for quite a number of years. Way before celebrity and athlete endorsements. Ill probably purchase anything they shove up my way, depending if I did have the funds. LOL. Good luck buddy.

Old 25 July 2017, 02:35 PM   #15
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Ceramic for me. I find the orange more striking, like the display back and love the way that ceramic reflects the light. That having been said, the carbon models are easier to find and are very, very cool and based on the feedback I've seen in these boards, you really can't go wrong with one
HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2017, 03:17 PM   #16
sssteel
"TRF" Member

Truly Cannot go wrong with either one - BUT, Forged Carbon is NO LESS cool than the Ceramic!!!
Super lightweight, awesome marbling patterns, great dial, etc!!

Sure, the Ceramic's bezel brushing is great, display back is nice - but again FC is equally as cool overall!!
Get it, don't look back, and enjoy, OP!!
sssteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2017, 05:02 PM   #17
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
Quote:

I've owned the FC44 and now have the CE44. Both have it's pros and cons. Nothing beats the brushed look of the ceramic in the right sun light. On that same token, the FC has a certain warmth about it that is kind of hard to explain. The edges on the FC will smooth out over time, but nothing you would notice unless you put it against a brand new one.

For the $6k difference, you can buy a SS Rolex DJ or step up a couple of grand an pick up a BLNR. This is the route I would go. Just my humble opinion.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2017, 07:28 PM   #18
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:

Wow... my case cracked as well, never understood from how as it never fell or hit anything, especially it cracked between the case and the bezel, basically the place it's least probable to crack...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK Islandboy View Post
Ceramic for me. I find the orange more striking, like the display back and love the way that ceramic reflects the light. That having been said, the carbon models are easier to find and are very, very cool and based on the feedback I've seen in these boards, you really can't go wrong with one
Both are cool, but prefer orange to yellow, and see through case back as well, and yes the finishing on the ce is top notch
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2017, 07:40 PM   #19
andresoler1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
Wow... my case cracked as well, never understood from how as it never fell or hit anything, especially it cracked between the case and the bezel, basically the place it's least probable to crack...

Both are cool, but prefer orange to yellow, and see through case back as well, and yes the finishing on the ce is top notch

Oh my.. That’s seriously twisted buddy. We’re you at least able to have it repaired?

Old 25 July 2017, 07:55 PM   #20
Plastique999
"TRF" Member

Watch: VC Toledo 1952
No issues with my ceramic. Love the light reflection off the brushed case.

Sent from my Zeitwerk
Plastique999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2017, 12:16 AM   #21
Colin W
"TRF" Member

I had both side by side and went ceramic - no regrets

Old 26 July 2017, 02:50 AM   #22
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
I am having my FC Diver for 2 years.
It's the watch that has gotten the most wrist time from all my watches and still don't regret buying it.
I've not babied it, but is does not have a single damage on the case.

The Ceramic Diver is too sterile to my taste, the FC is much cooler imo. I'd go FC even if there was no price gap to the Ce.
bondtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2017, 03:21 AM   #23
brmeyers
"TRF" Member

^^^ Thanks Everyone, lots of great feedback.
I like them almost equally for different reasons.
Big issue right now is Ceramic divers are nowhere to be found in the U.S.
At least on Chrono 24, TRF, Ebay, google searches, etc.
FC are hard to find as well, but there are a couple in the U.S.
Also the Ceramic I found in other countries are $6000 MORE than the FC I found.
I found a FC from a trusted source that comes with box and papers, and they are offering a 1 year extended warranty which is also very nice.
As for the damaged cases and cracks, I think both can be vulnerable, but then again, so can most watches.
SS Rolexes probably more bulletproof but I have had the gamut of the SS Sports Rolex family.
Hulk remains still but want a lighter weight more sporty watch with rubber strap for working out and beach, etc.
I'll keep you all posted.
Old 26 July 2017, 03:27 AM   #24
jschmidtdmd
"TRF" Member

I wish I had kept my ceramic.
Old 26 July 2017, 08:02 AM   #25
peterpl
Banned

The FC is much much lighter so if thats what your after.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2017, 02:14 PM   #26
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15707CE
Quote:
^^^ Thanks Everyone, lots of great feedback.
I like them almost equally for different reasons.
Big issue right now is Ceramic divers are nowhere to be found in the U.S.
At least on Chrono 24, TRF, Ebay, google searches, etc.
FC are hard to find as well, but there are a couple in the U.S.
Also the Ceramic I found in other countries are $6000 MORE than the FC I found.
I found a FC from a trusted source that comes with box and papers, and they are offering a 1 year extended warranty which is also very nice.
As for the damaged cases and cracks, I think both can be vulnerable, but then again, so can most watches.
SS Rolexes probably more bulletproof but I have had the gamut of the SS Sports Rolex family.
Hulk remains still but want a lighter weight more sporty watch with rubber strap for working out and beach, etc.
I'll keep you all posted.
It's your lucky day
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=550948
Old 26 July 2017, 10:19 PM   #27
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Eriksson View Post
Not if I can beat him to it.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2017, 11:03 PM   #28
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plastique999 View Post
No issues with my ceramic. Love the light reflection off the brushed case.

Sent from my Zeitwerk
Great photos....reinforces my preference for the CE!
Old 26 July 2017, 11:07 PM   #29
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin W View Post
I had both side by side and went ceramic - no regrets

Love that brushed ceramic bezel
Old 26 July 2017, 11:08 PM   #30
Plastique999
"TRF" Member

Watch: VC Toledo 1952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Eriksson View Post

Wow doesn't get any better than LNIB....good price and has the cool orange strap!

Sent from my Zeitwerk
Plastique999 is offline   Reply With Quote