The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 29 July 2017, 12:29 AM   #1
rcoltellino
"TRF" Member

Ap 15400

How's it going everyone I am thinking about trading my ceramic sub no date and my explorer ii 42mm polar white for a royal oak gray dial. I went to the boutique in NYC and tried them on. I fell in love with the gray dial. I am just a little apprehensive being that I will be wearing this watch as a daily. Can someone give me some insight on the on the movement is it rigid enough for everyday use? Will it be able to take a little bit of a beating? Thank you in advance
rcoltellino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2017, 12:35 AM   #2
WWCO
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough
Have you had a look at the diver? Might be worth doing if you're after something that can take a beating
WWCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2017, 12:41 AM   #3
Busyboy
"TRF" Member

3120, so same base as in diver

I'm not sure the movement is the biggest concern. It'll manage just fine tho.

The scratching will show more IMO. Steel watches no doubt all scratch up similarly, but the 15400 will possibly fare less well than either of your others

Service prices are going to be double of either of your others and, resale - you'll loose a packet

Also WR is possibly less trust worthy, certainly lower rated

I think you should get it tho.... Just keep one of your others... 114060 & 15400 would be awesome
Busyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2017, 12:44 AM   #4
Busyboy
"TRF" Member

PS great taste in all 3
Busyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2017, 01:07 AM   #5
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
The 15400 in ST wears like any another watch. Just wear it normally as you do daily with your other watches (unless you are doing rigerous activities for your job that would be harsher environment for a watch). People have the perception that the RO is more fragile. It not so much that it is fragile more so the high level hand finish of the groves on an RO makes any scratch more noticeable than others. Duriability is fine... if you hate scratches, you might want to reconsider.

As for the prices dropping. Buy right and don't pay full retail. If you are paying full retail I suggest you wait and see if any of the fellow forum members can get you a good deal.

I think overtime you'll see the 15400 stay consistent like the 15300. Baring paying full retail, many people who bought 15300 are typically breaking even per say. I think the only reason the 15400 is dropping is that it is still in production. Long run, it will be fine.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2017, 02:25 AM   #6
sirish19
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP-VC-AP
I have the 15202 Jumbo and I wouldn't hesitate wearing it as a daily. I have a few watches so keep it in a rotation. it will show scratches more than the Rolex though, to be sure, but finish of the bracelet is superb and looks fabulous even with the scratches.

If you do go with the AP, I would strongly advise learning good wrist presence techniques to preserve longevity. You don't want to be tempted to over polish the RO.
Old 29 July 2017, 02:48 AM   #7
Watcheroo
2024 Pledge Member

It'll make a great daily

I have a 15202 and it's one of my daily wear watches.

And the new grey dial is pretty nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Watcheroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2017, 02:56 AM   #8
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
I wear my 15400 as a daily. Movement is fine it's the scratches on that are the problem. I now only wear it Mon-Thurs when I wear my long sleeve button down dress shirts.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2017, 04:24 AM   #9
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15707CE
I would trade up, the AP is a very nice step up.
I daily my 15400. Work, clubbing, swimming. With rolled up sleeves, with a suit, etc... Have a few scratches but nothing that shows from a meter away.
Resale is good on the 15400.
Old 29 July 2017, 04:28 AM   #10
rcoltellino
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for your responses. I will not be paying retail i will only buy the watch if i know it is a smart investment and i will be able to sell out of it with minimal loss. I have found a few white dial 15400's for 12,500 which i think is a good buy i might go with an offshore and get a bracelet for it as well.
Old 29 July 2017, 04:32 AM   #11
rcoltellino
"TRF" Member

Thank you everyone for your responses. I will not be paying retail for the watch. The only way i will be purchasing the watch if it is a smart investment and that i would be able to sell out of it with minimal loss. I have found a like new 15400 for 12,500 with the white dial. I might also consider an offshore and purchase a bracelet for it.
Old 29 July 2017, 08:50 AM   #12
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
Your dreaming if you think trading those 2 watches will net you a 15400 especially the grey one which just came out. To answer your original question I would keep one of those watches and save up for a 15400. I own both and they are great tool/everyday watches, nothing beats the durability of a Rolex.
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2017, 09:54 AM   #13
rcoltellino
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myporsche View Post
Your dreaming if you think trading those 2 watches will net you a 15400 especially the grey one which just came out. To answer your original question I would keep one of those watches and save up for a 15400. I own both and they are great tool/everyday watches, nothing beats the durability of a Rolex.
I know i would have to add cash but i have found acouple 15400's for 12k which would put me pretty close
Old 29 July 2017, 10:53 AM   #14
Reloko
"TRF" Member

It seems that your original query has changed from a new 15400 grey dial to a used white dial. You may want to consider keeping the subC so that you have a black dial and a white dial 15400.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reloko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2017, 10:58 AM   #15
rcoltellino
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reloko View Post
It seems that your original query has changed from a new 15400 grey dial to a used white dial. You may want to consider keeping the subC so that you have a black dial and a white dial 15400.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It depends on the deal. The gray dial is much more appealing to me. I was just using the white dial as a price reference .
Old 29 July 2017, 11:44 AM   #16
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoltellino View Post
It depends on the deal. The gray dial is much more appealing to me. I was just using the white dial as a price reference .
Go for the grey dial, don't settle, and try not to focus too much on selling it, enjoy the buying and wearing of it first or it will become a self fulfilling prophesy.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2017, 09:08 AM   #17
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoltellino View Post
Don't use the white dial as a reference, the Grey dial is the most exclusive at the moment and harder to find than the blue. All the ADs I went to wanted full MSRP, most didn't even have it. If you want a Royal Oak trade up your sub for a black one or the Polar for the white/silver. But if your heart is set on grey then don't compromise but I'd rather not get rid of both Rolex's and just save up and maybe get rid of like I said above.
Old 30 July 2017, 09:13 AM   #18
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Don't use the white dial as a reference, the Grey dial is the most exclusive at the moment and harder to find than the blue. .
i like the grey but this is simply not true. I have seen grey dial 15400's at at least 5 AD's in two different countries over the past couple of months. I saw a blue dial once. Weirdly enough the blue was/is at an AD in Houston and not a boutique. All AD's though get grey dials. As far as discounts go its harder to get at the moment because its the new color not because its more exclusive. The blue (which isn't even my favorite dial so I'm speaking objectively) will always be the most exclusive.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2017, 09:24 AM   #19
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
i like the grey but this is simply not true. I have seen grey dial 15400's at at least 5 AD's in two different countries over the past couple of months. I saw a blue dial once. Weirdly enough the blue was/is at an AD in Houston and not a boutique. All AD's though get grey dials. As far as discounts go its harder to get at the moment because its the new color not because its more exclusive. The blue (which isn't even my favorite dial so I'm speaking objectively) will always be the most exclusive.
Interesting as my experience was different. They can always get a blue or had a "blue in the back". The ADs I went to did not have Blue or Grey. Also the Grey's (no pun) where unable to source Grey's but can always "get" a blue. The blue underwhelmed me and I liked Black and Grey the most. Going back to my original point to OP Black and White should not be used as baselines for Blue and Grey.
Old 30 July 2017, 10:14 AM   #20
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Interesting as my experience was different. They can always get a blue or had a "blue in the back". The ADs I went to did not have Blue or Grey. Also the Grey's (no pun) where unable to source Grey's but can always "get" a blue. The blue underwhelmed me and I liked Black and Grey the most. Going back to my original point to OP Black and White should not be used as baselines for Blue and Grey.
its more a function of the grey dial only arriving at AD's a few months ago where as the blue has been available for years. There are less grey dials on the market now for sure but that is due to timescale and not exclusivity. It will be as common as black and silver in time.

Blue is supposed to be boutique exclusive and the grey/black/silver are available at all AD's. I have no idea why i saw a Blue 15400 at an AD in Houston as its one of the the only blue dials i have seen ever. Saw it once at the paris boutique a couple of years ago but besides that, never. But, i don't go to boutiques very often.

Agreed on comparing dials... grey is higher priced now but will probably settle around black and silver prices on the grey market. Blue will remain above the other three. I would not buy a grey dial from a grey dealer now though as the inflated price is ike the new sea dweller. Its high because its new, and the premium isn't justified and it is temporary.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2017, 01:08 PM   #21
rcoltellino
"TRF" Member

The NYC boutique had all 3 the blue was sold but atleast I was able to see it. The white black and gray were ready to be purchased
Old 30 July 2017, 01:34 PM   #22
jem7v
Banned

Quote:
its more a function of the grey dial only arriving at AD's a few months ago where as the blue has been available for years. There are less grey dials on the market now for sure but that is due to timescale and not exclusivity. It will be as common as black and silver in time.

Blue is supposed to be boutique exclusive and the grey/black/silver are available at all AD's. I have no idea why i saw a Blue 15400 at an AD in Houston as its one of the the only blue dials i have seen ever. Saw it once at the paris boutique a couple of years ago but besides that, never. But, i don't go to boutiques very often.

Agreed on comparing dials... grey is higher priced now but will probably settle around black and silver prices on the grey market. Blue will remain above the other three. I would not buy a grey dial from a grey dealer now though as the inflated price is ike the new sea dweller. Its high because its new, and the premium isn't justified and it is temporary.
+1

You speak truth.
jem7v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2017, 04:42 PM   #23
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
Quote:

Definitely agree with this.

To start it off, pick the dial you want and stick with it. Don't settle if dont have to. The price difference is very minor considering the end goal is to buy something you will like and enjoy.

If you have your mind set on the grey, simply wait it out. It will even out with the values of the black and white/silver over time.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2017, 05:57 AM   #24
rcoltellino
"TRF" Member

guys i really appreciate all of the help i have switched gears a little when i was at the ad the lady let me try on an offshore elephant and i fell in love so i am either going to go with the elephant or the safari