The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 23 December 2019, 02:34 PM   #61
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Why are people so emotional about what someone else does to their own property? I'm not putting those on my watch, but I've got no problem with you if you do......or don't.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2019, 03:25 PM   #62
0-60
"TRF" Member

That is a great idea for people like me who can scratch up the clasp lol. And then it bugs me to no end, so i would use some of the clasp pieces from that kit to protect my watch.
0-60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2019, 03:39 PM   #63
ndrs63
"TRF" Member

To me is a non starter, as I can not enjoy the polishing. It’s like wearing a fake knowing the original is in the safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ndrs63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2019, 03:49 PM   #64
meyers
Banned

Watch: 16710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
I think it is clear by the name calling, you are not interested in discussing the product or topic, and I think technically you are judging me ...in post about judgement.

I think the broader topic is the discussion of whether a Rolex can be/should be an investment. The protective film, advertised as "Protect your Investment" is part and parcel to the debate/discussion of whether one can invest in watches and what appreciation or depreciation one might expect.

The other ironic part about your judgmental comment is that it seems you have not clicked the website link.

The website states "Wear-and-tear is one of the biggest causes for depreciation of your investment. Styx Watch Protection safeguards the value of your prized possession for years to come. "

I am reacting to the financial aspect of the "Is Rolex an Investment" discussion and to the will this product/film "Protect my Investment".

I think your point is, it is none of my business how people enjoy their watches, and one can not/should not infer a person's financial situation based on their decisions...to each their own.

The problem is that you are trying to take the financial aspect out of a product that has self-identified Rolex/watches as an investment, and claimed to protect value retention based on the usage of the film.

Anyone who has been around the hobby knows that the economic status of the markets have a far greater impact on the price/value of watches. You can have box and papers, new-old stock, original coffin, hanging tag, AD's diet coke, but if everyone is broke, a clear film on your watch is not protecting you...at all.

This is how people end up at: enjoy your watches, and forget about value, as it is out of your control. Now if you want people to sit back and give bad advice, and watch fellow enthusiasts take a bath on 'can't lose' Rolex 'investments' with a facade of 'investment protection', then I guess...to each their own.
meyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2019, 04:00 PM   #65
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
It’s not for me however a small number of forum members have posted personal experience of such products. Given the ridicule those threads attracted, I imagine a few more use similar stuff but don’t admit to it.

I frequent a few car forums and nobody on those has ever been ridiculed for having PPF applied to their cars, at far greater expense and with a much higher degree of futility. I don’t really get the difference.

Each to their own.
I think there is a difference. My friend defintiely put ceramic coating on his quarter million dollar 911 RS3. We want a car like that to look pristine. The idea is for a car's body not to be scraped or touched. I wear a Sub and it would be almost impossible to keep it from not touching anything. No expects that from a watch. Scratches and dings that I make on my watch don't affect the overall look of the watch. However, a gash down the side of an RS3 door or a dented front fender is going to look horrible.
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2019, 04:47 PM   #66
TimeToWatch
Banned

Watch: Rolex & AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Db7566 View Post
Just got an 114060. First watch over 5 hundred dollars. Scratches on bracelets have never bothered me but the glass always has. Never owned a quality crystal before so not sure how much more durable it is but could see myself putting film on the crystal.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Unless you plan on rubbing your watch up against diamonds, this would be entirely unnecessary. A sapphire crystal is virtually unscratchable
TimeToWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2019, 05:04 PM   #67
MP5
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

It's way past time for Rolex to develope an anti scratch technology like Seiko Diashield, Dievas 6 Shield, or the best, Sinns Tegiment. AP was working on some unscratchable gold if I recall.
MP5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2019, 05:41 PM   #68
Goonthree
"TRF" Member

In Taiwan the 4 ad I went to wrap all incoming new watches to preserve it. I assume due to people trying it on and to maintain better value as I believe asians would ask for discount on minor scratches.
Now I am also just exposed to wrap it by professional recently. I would actually do it but I think they say good for 1 yr which is useless. I might do one just for the experience. I would do it on yellow gold watch
Goonthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2019, 08:17 PM   #69
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtwer View Post
Notice the majority of their products are for Rolex... What does that say about the Rolex owners at large?
That they only worry about value retention and concerned about protecting the investment
Old 23 December 2019, 10:13 PM   #70
Rushne

Watch: White 116500LN
To be honest I don’t mind the idea of having a sticker on the clasp of my gmt as it is susceptible to rubbing on a desk while working.
Can I be bothered? Nah
But I can understand it.

Omega: Seamaster Professional 300M 2220.80.00
Rolex: Daytona White Dial 116500LN
Rolex: Sky-Dweller Blue Dial Jubilee 336934
Rolex: DateJust 36 Roman White Dial Oyster 126234
Rolex: OP 36 Celebration Dial 126000
Panerai: PAM 422
Patek Philippe: Aquanaut 5167A
A. Lange & Söhne: 1815 Annual Calendar

@mechanicaltom Stolen: IWC Portuguese 500107 Case number 3853222
Rushne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2019, 11:49 PM   #71
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Quote:
Originally Posted by No SUBctitute View Post
I think there is a difference. My friend defintiely put ceramic coating on his quarter million dollar 911 RS3. We want a car like that to look pristine. The idea is for a car's body not to be scraped or touched. I wear a Sub and it would be almost impossible to keep it from not touching anything. No expects that from a watch. Scratches and dings that I make on my watch don't affect the overall look of the watch. However, a gash down the side of an RS3 door or a dented front fender is going to look horrible.
I would say the opposite. My 911GT3 was tracked frequently and picked up many dings and repainted. That is what, with their handling and power, they are meant to do.

As for the watch film, that’s up to the owner, not for me to critique. I would say if one wants to do so, cutting a few strips of 3M tape should work fine for a few bucks.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2019, 12:26 AM   #72
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
Why are people so emotional about what someone else does to their own property? I'm not putting those on my watch, but I've got no problem with you if you do......or don't.
X2
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2019, 01:02 AM   #73
mrhanzdotcom
Banned

Watch: 14060 116710BLNR
I have installed it on my everose daytona.I like it better now since the clasp and side case is protected now. The clasp and side case were pretty dull due to scratches and very horrible to look at. I decided to polish the watch before installing the protective film. I think this film is one of the greatest way to avoid scratches on your pm watches and yes... they are pretty normal to look at, cant hardly notice the film on it.
mrhanzdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2019, 02:37 AM   #74
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
That they only worry about value retention and concerned about protecting the investment
Bingo.

Like ndrs63 says a few posts up about feeling like wearing a fake while putting the real in the safe. A friend of mine actually told me that's exactly what he wanted to do when he bought his first 116610ln: buying a fake to wear so that he can put his sub in the safe and not getting scratches.
dtwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2019, 02:49 AM   #75
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtwer View Post
Bingo.

Like ndrs63 says a few posts up about feeling like wearing a fake while putting the real in the safe. A friend of mine actually told me that's exactly what he wanted to do when he bought his first 116610ln: buying a fake to wear so that he can put his sub in the safe and not getting scratches.
Unbelievable and he needs a good psychiatrist IMO.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2019, 04:19 AM   #76
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
Quote:
People lost their shit and made negative comments about me polishing the center links of my Hulk. It’s just the normal keyboard cowboy culture we have these days. There were some positive comments, so I can’t say it was all bad.
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2019, 04:38 AM   #77
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
There were some posts in the recent months about similar. IMO quite honest it's pretty stupid if your goal is protecting the finish of your watch bc protective wraps are more likely to accumulate grime in the layers between metal and "protective" wrap. This grime will destroy your metal's finish over time. To each his own, but this is really counter-productive for the goals some claim to be important to them.

And the car comparison is not relevant bc of the size of a vehicle vs watch and the ability to put on in larger sheets
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2019, 04:40 AM   #78
Ssunnylee24
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II
Plaastic??? Its almost 2020, stop using so much plastic!
Ssunnylee24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2019, 04:53 AM   #79
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercoach32 View Post
My point was rather direct. Having an opinion on if someone uses a plastic cover or scotch tape for that matter is awesome and this is a great place to discuss it. I’m not a fan of even leaving my stickers on before I leave my AD, but to each his/her own. Whatever floats your boat.

That being said, any human being that blatantly judges another human being’s financial situation and/or his/her financial decisions by saying a person is “financially over their head” based solely on if they choose to cover a Rolex, AP, Timex, or Cracker Jack watch is a judgemental prick and life is way too short to have that attitude towards another human being over something so inconsequential. Especially, when this judgemental prick knows nothing about the other human being’s situation (past and/or present) other than a transparent piece of material that has zero bearing on anything. That was my very direct point.....for the 3rd time.

Hope that helps and have a great weekend!
Tone it down. No place on here for calling others pricks to be quite honest. Read the forum rules again. The last thing I want to read when here to discuss watches.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2019, 04:56 AM   #80
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex addict View Post
People lost their shit and made negative comments about me polishing the center links of my Hulk. It’s just the normal keyboard cowboy culture we have these days. There were some positive comments, so I can’t say it was all bad.
I love PCLs. Add that to your positives.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2019, 04:59 AM   #81
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
I love watch condoms... makes everything safer
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2019, 05:02 AM   #82
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex addict View Post
You redeemed yourself by sending out bottles of Jack Daniels from your keg. I'm still waiting for mine! Cheers!
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2019, 02:54 PM   #83
henrylee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN Ceramic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
I love watch condoms... makes everything safer
Watch condoms to prevent SDD’s (Scratches from Desk Diving)
Old 24 December 2019, 03:06 PM   #84
89Sem
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Omega
It’s been said before yes these are expensive luxury items. But at the end of the day they are devices or tools to tell time. That was their intended purpose 100 years ago. Not to become status symbols and be in pristine condition as to not lose value. Yes scratches and dings suck, but so does paying taxes lol. It’s just what happens.

Enjoy the watch,
89Sem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2019, 11:24 PM   #85
Mac-427
"TRF" Member

I use 3M paint protector on the clasp of my Submariner because that is the part that takes the most abuse. I have to change it every couple of months but the clasp remains perfect underneath. I ordered the same 3M paint protection film employed to protect automobile paint. In the past, I've applied it myself to my Harley and have had it professionally applied to my cars. I thought if the film would protect automotive paint from rock chips, it might also save the clasp of my new Submariner. The film is available on Amazon as VViViD 3M Clear Paint Protection Vinyl Film 4" x 12." I applied the film with the same methods used on vehicles after I cut it to fit the exact size of my clasp. I used an Exacto knife and made sure that there was no overlap over the edge of the clasp to avoid peeling. Next, I used a solution of alcohol and distilled water for the application. It took me a couple of tries to get the size right, but I'm happy with the results.
Mac-427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2019, 12:13 AM   #86
RTG

Watch: Sky-Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrylee View Post
This recent showed up on my Instagram feed. This company is now selling protective film for you watch. Thought they were trolling but I guess there are people who purchase this product. I understand doing this to your car but your watch??

https://www.styxwatch.com
I have been surprised this wasn’t available earlier.
RTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2019, 12:23 AM   #87
whited3
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K
Lol the film is great. Protects my PCL clasp.
What are these 3 pages of arguing about?
whited3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2019, 01:43 AM   #88
TheWatchmen
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Haha! You down with OPP (other ppl’s property)? Yeah you know me...

Great point lol
TheWatchmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2019, 02:00 AM   #89
sdiver68
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post
I may be mistaken but I imagine the statement is in reference to people who should be directing their finances to securing additional capital but instead splurge on luxury goods that they really couldn’t afford to begin with.

This typically results in not being able to truly enjoy the watch as the resale value becomes a major concern. The focus then shifts to keeping the watch pristine by keeping it in a safe, admiring it in a glass box, wearing it sparingly, wearing it with a band that has a clear protective window, applying protective film.
Guess it's the MBA in me, but I see nothing wrong with wanting to protect value. I'm also not sure how it is left for others to define exactly how to enjoy the watch.

BTW, as noted by others my cars and street motorcycles have PPF, are hand washed with Concours level products, and get only the best in servicing/maintenance. There is no difference.
sdiver68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2019, 02:04 AM   #90
sdiver68
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yOyOYoo View Post
To each their own. I don't have any stickers on my watches as scratches don't bother me much.

I had clear protective film installed on my car before. It was a pain to maintain and you can't just polish it like a clear coat. 4 years later it looked like crap so I decided to just get rid of it
Good, professionally installed PPF has a 10 year no questions asked warranty and you can lay ceramic sealant right over the top.
sdiver68 is offline   Reply With Quote