The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 October 2023, 06:27 PM   #1
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Grey market pricing, I am confused

It seems that the flipping market is dead, with exception of a few hot pieces. Many on the forum are getting “the call”, some have waited a while others not so much. When I look at the FS section which is made up mostly from our TS group, their prices are still thousands of dollars above MSRP. Who is buying? I don’t understand this asking price model while the market has cooled significantly.
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2023, 07:30 PM   #2
espanol
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Trusty Explorer
Prices are all over the place at the moment. Long standing dealers seem a bit delusional on pricing. Backpack dealers have a greater need for cash flow so they price things more aggressively, or even cut losses and get out of the business in general.
espanol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2023, 07:33 PM   #3
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
Most know to look down wind and adjust accordingly.

Never argue with a fool, as eventually it will be difficult to tell the difference.
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2023, 07:48 PM   #4
BraveBold
"TRF" Member

In many instances thousands above msrp is indeed current market pricing. You can see this in auctions data, other visible transactions.

Now, if some remain well above market prices, I don’t expect their inventory to move. It will adjust eventually…
BraveBold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2023, 09:30 PM   #5
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Asking and getting are two different things. I have found that having a discussion and making reasonable offers has worked. The Trusted Sellers know the market better than us and except for a few pieces, Platinum Daytona/SS Pepsi, some watches have corrected. A lot of people have tried to get into market forecasting and that is a difficult task. I have been in this for more than 30 years and in the long run nothing gets cheaper.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2023, 09:37 PM   #6
rod727
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 116610
Quote:
Originally Posted by espanol View Post
Prices are all over the place at the moment. Long standing dealers seem a bit delusional on pricing. Backpack dealers have a greater need for cash flow so they price things more aggressively, or even cut losses and get out of the business in general.
I have never heard the term “backpack dealers” but I get the reference.
rod727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2023, 09:55 PM   #7
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
The fact that the grey market is all over the place is a good thing for us. To another posters point, some are pricing low and trying to convert to cash while others (like DavidSW) are holding firm. Hope those holding firm don’t overplay their hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hollie_Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2023, 09:58 PM   #8
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Asking and getting are two different things. I have found that having a discussion and making reasonable offers has worked. The Trusted Sellers know the market better than us and except for a few pieces, Platinum Daytona/SS Pepsi, some watches have corrected. A lot of people have tried to get into market forecasting and that is a difficult task. I have been in this for more than 30 years and in the long run nothing gets cheaper.

Well, except for the fact that used watches used to get cheaper. Ie if you owned it for 2 years, if the watch had wear and tear, if it was a current production model about to go for service, if it was an unpopular model, etc etc

These are all factors which would make a current production watch cheaper than msrp. So looks like we’re heading that way eventually. It’ll probably take a little longer but buying the “dip” is no longer a concern. It’s going down

Hollie_Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2023, 09:58 PM   #9
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Grey market pricing, I am confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by rod727 View Post
I have never heard the term “backpack dealers” but I get the reference.

Backpack dealer: 25-35 year old male hailing from Miami, LA or Texas that believes they know a great deal about watches since entering the hobby in Q2 2020. Their inventory consists of a JM Daytona, Pepsi, Batman and six different colored OPs. They moonlight as long term crypto bulls and yearn to one day rent a Lamborghini and stock/“own” a RM030.
Old 18 October 2023, 10:10 PM   #10
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
In terms of the market all we know is prices have trended lower for nearly 2 years at this point. Market peak was Q4 2021.

People are generally uncertain about their actual investments in the current economy and also happy to park cash at 5%. People aren’t buying watches as an inflation hedge right now and they definitely were for a year or so during the cash is trash 2020-2021 cycle.

I’ve been buying more than ever. So many great watches that were unjustifiably priced have come back to msrp or better. As a long time collector this is what we’ve all been waiting for.
Old 18 October 2023, 10:17 PM   #11
Bartolo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA View Post
It seems that the flipping market is dead, with exception of a few hot pieces. Many on the forum are getting “the call”, some have waited a while others not so much. When I look at the FS section which is made up mostly from our TS group, their prices are still thousands of dollars above MSRP. Who is buying? I don’t understand this asking price model while the market has cooled significantly.
1. There is no reason to assume that any given dealer posts their "last/best" prices.

2. Many gray market dealers are "bag holders" at this time. They bought high and have seen demand and thus prices tumble. As always, they want/need to get every dollar out of that inventory as they can.

3. It's very hard for (potential) customers to know just where the market is. The gray dealers are mostly all over YouTube saying "the market is more stable than people think," and customers read how "the market is tumbling." Absent solid data . . . how are we customers to know just what we "should" be paying today?

BUT YES . . . the flipping market absolutely is dead. Many gray dealers aren't buying much of anything whether it's a BNIB flip or typical used or even "vintage."
Bartolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2023, 10:20 PM   #12
BraveBold
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie_Rollie View Post
Well, except for the fact that used watches used to get cheaper. Ie if you owned it for 2 years, if the watch had wear and tear, if it was a current production model about to go for service, if it was an unpopular model, etc etc

These are all factors which would make a current production watch cheaper than msrp. So looks like we’re heading that way eventually. It’ll probably take a little longer but buying the “dip” is no longer a concern. It’s going down

Over time prices for Rolexes have risen, inflation adjusted. Any near term correction is likely to be temporary (though temporary could be a few years) unless Rolex starts producing 20m+ watches per year…
Old 18 October 2023, 10:21 PM   #13
rlx123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie_Rollie View Post
The fact that the grey market is all over the place is a good thing for us. To another posters point, some are pricing low and trying to convert to cash while others (like DavidSW) are holding firm. Hope those holding firm don’t overplay their hand.

David SW has always been higher than most.

rlx123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2023, 10:26 PM   #14
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Backpack dealer: 25-35 year old male hailing from Miami, LA or Texas that believes they know a great deal about watches since entering the hobby in Q2 2020. Their inventory consists of a JM Daytona, Pepsi, Batman and six different colored OPs. They moonlight as long term crypto bulls and yearn to one day rent a Lamborghini and stock/“own” a RM030.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2023, 10:45 PM   #15
Gaussian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116400GV Z-Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA View Post
When I look at the FS section which is made up mostly from our TS group, their prices are still thousands of dollars above MSRP. Who is buying? I don’t understand this asking price model while the market has cooled significantly.

Imagine if the used car market functioned like this used rolex market.

How many of us would willingly pay above new MSRP for a used car?

It all seems absurd even if we were trying to normalize it all. . .

Gaussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2023, 10:48 PM   #16
carwashchris
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Vintage DD'S
It's kinda bitter sweet, if your a buyer it's easier to find the watch you want at a more reasonable price. If your a owner, the value of your collection is sinking.

My 2 cents. Chris

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
carwashchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2023, 10:52 PM   #17
Rolexken
"TRF" Member

Trend of what you would be offered by a grey for a watch is the true state of the market.
Rolexken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2023, 10:58 PM   #18
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
nailed it out of the gate.

They’re also holding inventory from Q2 2020 and instead of realizing their losses and then getting back into the game (it doesn’t matter what they trade for if you’re moving pieces) they’re going to sit there doing nothing.

As for me I am parking cash at 5% however I have been looking to possibly trade out some pieces into a big kahuna.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2023, 10:58 PM   #19
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2023, 11:08 PM   #20
Podmornica
Banned

The secondary grey watch market is dead in the backyard pool floating face down! "Juan"

Not just that the prices collapsed - but hardly anyone is buying anything. Try selling your brand new 126711CHNR Rootbear: There's no grey dealer in the world that would pay you above the MSRP so you can flip it like back in 2021. Have the Daydate or a plain datejust? Good luck unloading that.

Dealers are full with stock bought at the peak of the market. Most are overleveraged and are hoping for market to bounce. It won't.

The 2020 is long gone. Rates are high, there's no helicopter money. People are spending their cash on vacations again. We will never see that hype in our lifetime again.
Podmornica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2023, 11:08 PM   #21
rushca01
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLRO
I have made offers on several watches in the past month, been trying to source a 116710 BLNR and 116610. Trusted dealers WOULD NOT budge and my offer was very reasonable. Offers were also made to private parties and again my offer was fair, were talking a couple 100 off asking price and they wound’s budge. Oh well.
rushca01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2023, 11:12 PM   #22
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaussian View Post
Imagine if the used car market functioned like this used rolex market.

How many of us would willingly pay above new MSRP for a used car?

It all seems absurd even if we were trying to normalize it all. . .

Agree with market absurdity, in general term that is.

But…
If one element was changed in the used car market then it would operate like the secondary luxury watch market for Rolex, AP, PP, RM pieces.

That element is constrained production per annum.

Porsche GT3/RS, Ferrari 296, and others in that category routinely sell above MSRP due to their scarcity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2023, 11:15 PM   #23
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I have noticed many of the smaller used watch firms work on much thinner margins and have much better pricing than the bigger well known used watch companies. People are still going to buy watches and sell them to get something else as long as interest in the hobby remains. The prices may just be a little different with even discounts from ADs returning. The market is dynamic, and prices will fluctuate. As with anything, it is never a good idea to chase the highflyers while they are soaring.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2023, 11:17 PM   #24
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushca01 View Post
I have made offers on several watches in the past month, been trying to source a 116710 BLNR and 116610. Trusted dealers WOULD NOT budge and my offer was very reasonable. Offers were also made to private parties and again my offer was fair, were talking a couple 100 off asking price and they wound’s budge. Oh well.

For a $200 delta you chose not to buy?

Even if they had accepted that small delta, you’d still be paying well over msrp - my logic is swallow the $200 since you are already more than $2K above msrp anyway.
Just my

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2023, 11:18 PM   #25
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Overhead and not to mention larger grey dealers set the market early. They probably feel if they start cutting it's a market mover. The larger grey's will be the last ones to adjust.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2023, 11:34 PM   #26
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

What is there to understand? There isn’t any watches in the AD display cases to buy. You’re also never getting a SS Daytona from a AD regardless what the economy or watch market is currently trending.
Old 18 October 2023, 11:34 PM   #27
Nads786
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
When I was at DavidSW in person, a customer was negotiating for a John Mayer Daytona and I heard the sales associate say, "sorry we can't go below $38K it's a buyers market right now."
Nads786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2023, 12:17 AM   #28
FlashinLeather
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nads786 View Post
When I was at DavidSW in person, a customer was negotiating for a John Mayer Daytona and I heard the sales associate say, "sorry we can't go below $38K it's a buyers market right now."
So you are telling me that you bought it for 38k right?
FlashinLeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2023, 12:32 AM   #29
ppierce
"TRF" Member

Its at an inflection point right now. Similar to how housing market crashes work. People are reluctant to adjust pricing and expectations for a while once a downturn has been confirmed.
ppierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2023, 12:38 AM   #30
BraveBold
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Agree with market absurdity, in general term that is.

But…
If one element was changed in the used car market then it would operate like the secondary luxury watch market for Rolex, AP, PP, RM pieces.

That element is constrained production per annum.

Porsche GT3/RS, Ferrari 296, and others in that category routinely sell above MSRP due to their scarcity.

This has been the situation for about 30+ years.