The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 27 March 2020, 02:21 PM   #1
daughej
"TRF" Member

Help identifying grandfathers Rolex

Hello everyone,

I am new here and am seeking some expert advice from the likes of you fine folks. Due to this wonderful COVID-19 virus that has Houston (and the whole world basically) shut down, I can’t take this watch to get it looked at.

My dad gave me a bunch of my grandfathers stuff, included in the bag was this neat old Rolex. What’s truly amazing is that it has been sitting in my dads gun safe since my grandfather left us in 1981 (before me. I never had the pleasure of knowing him) and I manually wound it and it works perfectly!

Anyways, I can’t find any markings except on the face and the latch which reads:

On the face-

“ROLEX
Oyster Perpetual
Datejust

Officially Licensed
Chronometer

Swiss”

On the latch-

“Stainless Steel
ROLEX
Make in U.S.A”

I have a few others, including a white face Daytona, “The Hulk” (my favorite), Air King II, . What’s interesting about this one is the crown has a little cross below the Rolex crown on the crown itself. Which I thought was neat because the Hulk has three raised dots below the Rolex Crown on the crown.

The glow in the dark paint on the face seems to be flaking off. But to be fair it’s been sitting in a dark safe for almost fourth years. So a age is to be expected!

The backplate is clean (no markings whatsoever).

Thank ya’ll for your help! If you have any more questions let me know!

John D.
daughej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2020, 05:21 PM   #2
Verdi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Big Ben
You have a little gem there.
An early DJ with a roulette day wheel.
Ref 6304/5, I think.
The cross of the crown is Brevet and is correct.

Watch is valuable. It appears all original and unaltered. Once, all this madness is over I suggest a movement service and a cleanup and go on wearing this beauty again.

PS: you can use a toothpick to remove the bracelet and see the numbers between the lugs. Once we know the ref and the serial, you can find out when it was made and if everything matches.
Old 27 March 2020, 06:57 PM   #3
daughej
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdi View Post
You have a little gem there.
An early DJ with a roulette day wheel.
Ref 6304/5, I think.
The cross of the crown is Brevet and is correct.

Watch is valuable. It appears all original and unaltered. Once, all this madness is over I suggest a movement service and a cleanup and go on wearing this beauty again.

PS: you can use a toothpick to remove the bracelet and see the numbers between the lugs. Once we know the ref and the serial, you can find out when it was made and if everything matches.
Wow. Thanks for the great info! I took the bracelet off and the inside says “6105” and “MODELE DEPOSE” the serial number (at least I think it’s the serial number) is “92XXXX”

Hope that helps. I wouldn’t dare try to take the back off. I have the tools to do so, but with the potential value/rarity/age of this watch I don’t trust myself to start messing around with all of that.

Thank you again!
Old 27 March 2020, 07:00 PM   #4
daughej
"TRF" Member

Thanks Verdi!

Took the bracelet off. It says “6105” and “Modele Depose.” The serial number (at least what I think is the serial number) is “92XXXX.” I don’t want to post the full number, I just have a bad feeling about doing that. Is it okay to do so?
Old 27 March 2020, 07:03 PM   #5
Verdi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daughej View Post
Thanks Verdi!

Took the bracelet off. It says “6105” and “Modele Depose.” The serial number (at least what I think is the serial number) is “92XXXX.” I don’t want to post the full number, I just have a bad feeling about doing that. Is it okay to do so?
You dont have to. Just use one of these websites for dating according to the serial.
https://www.bobswatches.com/rolex-serial-numbers

https://beckertime.com/lookup-rolex-serial-by-year/

PS: Ref 6105 sounds good for that config. You can easy look it up now knowing the reference.
And I stand corrected, this is all red day wheel.
Im no expert, some guys here know these early DJs well...
Old 27 March 2020, 07:13 PM   #6
daughej
"TRF" Member

Either way, you've given me much more info than I had before. Thank you again!

I'm going to reach out to my family friend who owns a jewerly shop here in town once the sun comes up and see if he can clean it up for me. I fully intend to wear this little guy. Its a really neat piece!
Old 27 March 2020, 07:26 PM   #7
Verdi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Either way, you've given me much more info than I had before. Thank you again!

I'm going to reach out to my family friend who owns a jewerly shop here in town once the sun comes up and see if he can clean it up for me. I fully intend to wear this little guy. Its a really neat piece!
Remember not to let anyone replace anything: hands, dial, crown!
Also, these vintage watches require some extra attention so nothing gets damaged.
Old 27 March 2020, 07:36 PM   #8
BigBlue1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: it pal !
Beautiful watch you have there. Please post photos once you have it cleaned up. Again congratulations. Pretty cool how it was just sitting since 1981 in your Dads safe.

Hypochondria is the only disease I haven't got
RIP Mikey
BigBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2020, 07:48 PM   #9
daughej
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdi View Post
Remember not to let anyone replace anything: hands, dial, crown!
Also, these vintage watches require some extra attention so nothing gets damaged.
Okay. Good to know! Can they replace the glow aspect of the time/number indicators, or is it best to just let it stay as is?

I use Deutsch Fine Jewelry here in Houston. I have full faith in Lance (owner, family friend) in taking good care of it. I'm going to shoot him a text in the morning.

This may be my new favorite watch! I love my Hulk, but this one is so unique and has a lot of sentimental value.

Would you say this is a pretty rare watch? I used "Bob's Watches" and they say it was either made in 53 or 63. '63 would make more sense because by that time my grandfather had left the Army Air Corp (now called the Air Force). Served 1941-46, when they were needed most! I don't believe a Major in the military could afford a Rolex! But I very well could be wrong. Times were different back then. . .
Old 27 March 2020, 08:01 PM   #10
daughej
"TRF" Member

Bob's watches says 1953 or 1963, Beckertime says 1953.
Old 28 March 2020, 12:29 AM   #11
Mbalce
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I don't believe a Major in the military could afford a Rolex! But I very well could be wrong. Times were different back then. . .
Actually my 1964 OP 1024 was purchased at a PX in Germany by a Sargeant. I have all the original paperwork and box, including the original receipt for $134.95 (no sales tax even!) dated May 1965. A quick search says that’s the equivalent of about $1,100 today.

Military has always gotten a good deal on Rolex. A Major could probably afford several if he wanted them.

Last edited by Mbalce; 28 March 2020 at 12:30 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Mbalce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2020, 12:55 AM   #12
Verdi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Okay. Good to know! Can they replace the glow aspect of the time/number indicators, or is it best to just let it stay as is?

I use Deutsch Fine Jewelry here in Houston. I have full faith in Lance (owner, family friend) in taking good care of it.

This may be my new favorite watch! I love my Hulk, but this one is so unique and has a lot of sentimental value.
. .
No, no. Don't let them touch the dial or the hands. The value of these pieces is when they survive untouched and original. Also, no polish!

Leave it exactly as it is. Best thing to do is to send it to one the guys that has experience with vintage pieces.
While Lance may be a good friend and a nice guy he might not have the experience of working on vintage Rolex....see what he recommends you! Maybe he knows.

Nevertheless, keep it as original as possible. For sure it needs a service having been in a safe for a few decades....

Service it and enjoy it! It is a superb watch and, for you, with extra sentimental value. It goes perfect with a nice leather strap!
Old 30 March 2020, 02:30 AM   #13
Vlad
"TRF" Member

it's a 1953 6105 with a BB movement (I would guess cal 720 or similar). in 1964 Rolex was using val 1530.

Nice dial - looks like "datejust" is in RED.

My only concern is that most 6105 came with super oyster crown, though 1953 is that particular time point when Rolex switched back to screw down crowns - and switched the model to 6305. So, there is a likely possibility that case tube and crown have been replaced.
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote