The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 28 July 2018, 05:54 AM   #121
City74
Banned

Watch: Speedy Reduced
Quote:
Originally Posted by droptopman View Post
I have a pair of Conistons, my fav boots. Can wear with a suit but works great with jeans or casual wear as well.

Hey thx for that. Always good to get first hand recommendations
City74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2018, 05:55 AM   #122
City74
Banned

Quote:
Those are gorgeous. Do you find they wear narrow or wider then average?
Old 28 July 2018, 06:04 AM   #123
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Quote:
Originally Posted by City74 View Post
Those are gorgeous. Do you find they wear narrow or wider then average?
Thank you. About medium. I have long fairly narrow feet. The 325 last works great for me. Toe box may be a touch narrower than some of my other boots, but very comfortable and I prefer the look and feel to the boxier/wider lasts.

Oh and look around. I got these through Todd Snyder dot com for a great deal.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2018, 06:51 AM   #124
City74
Banned

Quote:
Thank you. About medium. I have long fairly narrow feet. The 325 last works great for me. Toe box may be a touch narrower than some of my other boots, but very comfortable and I prefer the look and feel to the boxier/wider lasts.

Yea I saw them on there. Actually Barney’s even has a different color available that’s not on the C&J website. They also have some of their name branded boots on crazy clearance
Old 28 July 2018, 07:17 AM   #125
Ssunnylee24
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II

My Alden.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ssunnylee24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2018, 08:12 AM   #126
City74
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssunnylee24 View Post

My Alden.

Very nice
Old 28 July 2018, 02:04 PM   #127
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Yea I saw them on there. Actually Barney’s even has a different color available that’s not on the C&J website. They also have some of their name branded boots on crazy clearance
I've purchased a few pair of boots from Barneys and some of which where on sale. Just because they sell them doesn't mean they will go on sale and when they do they may not have your size. But it's a great place to look because once in awhile you"ll get lucky because they often have stuff on sale and even when not they sell some pretty good stuff.

Hanging out on Styleforum however you"ll have a better idea where all to look and what are the better places to buy them are. Hang out with the geeks and they wont steer you wrong.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2018, 02:10 PM   #128
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:

At least in my opinion and many others the two big shoemakers in the US tend to use more blobby looking Lasts then what you get from Shoemakers such as Crockett & Jones and better. Of course this is not such a big deal with some boots but even Viberg uses a better looking Last in my opinion than what Alden uses on their boots. Crockett & Jones definitely has better looking Lasts than AE or Alden as well.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 28 July 2018, 02:23 PM   #129
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

I had a pair of Conistons... great boots. Much better than Indy boots (I had those, too) in terms of looks, fit & finish.
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2018, 02:53 PM   #130
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
I had a pair of Conistons... great boots. Much better than Indy boots (I had those, too) in terms of looks, fit & finish.

Personally I could never go back once I moved forward. Some could, but I just appreciate all those finer details and just didn't want to do it.

Besides when Alden calls a leather Kudu it's actually cow but when Gaziano & Girling does it is actually Antelope.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 28 July 2018, 03:07 PM   #131
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
Personally I could never go back once I moved forward. Some could, but I just appreciate all those finer details and just didn't want to do it.
Yea, I feel the same way. I sold most of my shoes and right now I am left with my Lobb Chambords, EG Galways and my color 8 Alden LWBs. I'd like to get rid of the Aldens, though I know they're not worth much since I've worn them a lot. I decided that I should rebuild my collection and focus on fewer shoes, but higher quality.

I'd still like to give G&G a shot as well as JM Weston (not sure why, but I am really fascinated by them).

On the other hand, I recently started to buy sneakers again (Adidas Ultraboost). They're just so comfortable and I usually wear them on the weekends and casual Fridays at the office.
Old 28 July 2018, 03:18 PM   #132
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yea, I feel the same way. I sold most of my shoes and right now I am left with my Lobb Chambords, EG Galways and my color 8 Alden LWBs. I'd like to get rid of the Aldens, though I know they're not worth much since I've worn them a lot. I decided that I should rebuild my collection and focus on fewer shoes, but higher quality.

I'd still like to give G&G a shot as well as JM Weston (not sure why, but I am really fascinated by them).

On the other hand, I recently started to buy sneakers again (Adidas Ultraboost). They're just so comfortable and I usually wear them on the weekends and casual Fridays at the office.

Fewer of higher quality always gets my vote. Quality always trumps quantity. I went through the purging thing.

I'm now at that point with my current interest.

The thing is it's always a bit of a learning process of what is all out there and what works best for me first and it seems some mistakes are inevitable. I think with the last one I just got not long ago I've gotten a much better handle on things.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 28 July 2018, 05:13 PM   #133
City74
Banned

Quote:

Yea I am sorta getting that feeling from what I’m reading
Old 28 July 2018, 05:16 PM   #134
City74
Banned

I just found a shop about 2 hours from my house called Sky Valet shoes. They stock a several brands I have interest in, and also Alden has a shop in the same city (Washington DC) so it looks like I might be taking a trip to check out some boots. Although I’m sure I’ll visit several watch stores, a pen shop I love, and some fine retailers. Might just make a weekend out of it and stay at the Hyatt I like up there
Old 28 July 2018, 06:21 PM   #135
mschafer
"TRF" Member

I got my Alden Indy boots about 11 years ago and they became one of my fall/winter got to boots (NYC and Western Europe) as well as general travel boots all k er the world. The sole is a bit slippery, I got another Alden pair with crepe soles that I prefer on harder surfaces (I’m a photographer so hard concrete studios floors all days call for nice cushioning). A couple of years back I had the Red Wing 875 which are very competent, it just need a bit of a molding phase and there’s no simple rebuilt.
My Alden’s finally gave up after 11 years and one restore round. Alden actually called me after sending them in for another restore and offered a new pair at extremely competitive pricing after it turned out they couldn’t get them back into shape, which I just did.
And during the last couple of years I got a ton of compliments on the Alden 405, taken care off but definitely well travelled. I only recommend them, but look at your usage and select your outer soles accordingly. BTW, I wear them mostly with jeans, sometimes chinos or shorts when in Africa.
mschafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2018, 09:52 PM   #136
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I just found a shop about 2 hours from my house called Sky Valet shoes. They stock a several brands I have interest in, and also Alden has a shop in the same city (Washington DC) so it looks like I might be taking a trip to check out some boots. Although I’m sure I’ll visit several watch stores, a pen shop I love, and some fine retailers. Might just make a weekend out of it and stay at the Hyatt I like up there

Fabulous.

Now being the footwear geek that I am I would make the most of it and try on as many Lasts besides brands but as many Lasts that I possibly can. Wear the socks you would normally wear with whatever footwear when trying them on. Take a couple different pair both thick and thin. Try on shoes just because your there because you never know. Lasts are the important thing.

Of course the later in the day the better, but that may not be an option but do some walking as your foot will be flattened out a bit.

Compare some various brands in person if possible. Snug is good but not tight. Footwear will stretch width wise a bit but never length wise.

If you don't know you Brannock size get that checked out as well.

Good Luck.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 28 July 2018, 09:55 PM   #137
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschafer View Post
I got my Alden Indy boots about 11 years ago and they became one of my fall/winter got to boots (NYC and Western Europe) as well as general travel boots all k er the world. The sole is a bit slippery, I got another Alden pair with crepe soles that I prefer on harder surfaces (I’m a photographer so hard concrete studios floors all days call for nice cushioning). A couple of years back I had the Red Wing 875 which are very competent, it just need a bit of a molding phase and there’s no simple rebuilt.
My Alden’s finally gave up after 11 years and one restore round. Alden actually called me after sending them in for another restore and offered a new pair at extremely competitive pricing after it turned out they couldn’t get them back into shape, which I just did.
And during the last couple of years I got a ton of compliments on the Alden 405, taken care off but definitely well travelled. I only recommend them, but look at your usage and select your outer soles accordingly. BTW, I wear them mostly with jeans, sometimes chinos or shorts when in Africa.

Goodyear Welted shoes and boots can last even longer depending on use and a great point about the type of sole one chooses. Frankly Dainite is probably my favorite overall. It typically last a good long time. Having more than a few to choose from makes for even longer lasting shoes and boots.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 29 July 2018, 12:10 AM   #138
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Fabulous.

Now being the footwear geek that I am I would make the most of it and try on as many Lasts besides brands but as many Lasts that I possibly can. Wear the socks you would normally wear with whatever footwear when trying them on. Take a couple different pair both thick and thin. Try on shoes just because your there because you never know. Lasts are the important thing.

Of course the later in the day the better, but that may not be an option but do some walking as your foot will be flattened out a bit.

Compare some various brands in person if possible. Snug is good but not tight. Footwear will stretch width wise a bit but never length wise.

Good Luck.

Also I would even highly recommend checking out various more expensive brands you have no intent on getting into if you have the time. Personally I always look at this type of thing as an opportunity to get more experience even if I have no intent of actually doing anything but just seeing what is possible.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 29 July 2018, 06:30 AM   #139
City74
Banned

Quote:
Fabulous.

Good Luck.
I will try on a few brands I’m sure, and different lasts as well
Old 29 July 2018, 06:33 AM   #140
City74
Banned

Quote:
Also I would even highly recommend checking out various more expensive brands you have no intent on getting into if you have the time. Personally I always look at this type of thing as an opportunity to get more experience even if I have no intent of actually doing anything but just seeing what is possible.

Yea I would look and check out the quality and stuff but not try on. I honestly don’t like wasting a salespersons time looking at something I have no intention of buying. If it’s on a shelf and I can look at it and admire that’s fine but don’t like to make a salesperson work extra for nothing. I was in sales for yours so I knkw how it feels to have my time wasted
Old 29 July 2018, 06:56 AM   #141
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yea I would look and check out the quality and stuff but not try on. I honestly don’t like wasting a salespersons time looking at something I have no intention of buying. If it’s on a shelf and I can look at it and admire that’s fine but don’t like to make a salesperson work extra for nothing. I was in sales for yours so I knkw how it feels to have my time wasted

Understand, and do what works best for you.

For me however I take the following into consideration when attempting to find something.

Often the only way you'll know what fits you best is to try on as many different Lasts as possible. In fact they may not even have the shoe I want but the Last maybe available to try on. Besides just because someone has the shoe I want it may not be in the color or leather I want. Trying on sometimes is the only way to determine if it would ever be a good fit. It's very possible although the 325 Last works it may not be my best fit. Sometimes you can only discover that by trying on other Lasts. Besides if they treat me right although I may not buy this time I just might buy the next time.

Just remember your trying to put your foot in a shape that someone else determined they could sell and not a Last developed specifically for you. If you were ever to decide to buy a Bespoke shoe or boot then and only then would your feet determine the perfect shape for your feet. In the meantime your subject to what is available on the shelf and sometimes you may just get lucky and it's not always the first one.

I have some that work and I have some that fit me better. A bitter fitting shoe or boot makes for a better day.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 29 July 2018, 07:45 AM   #142
City74
Banned

Quote:
Understand, and do what works best for you.

For me however I take the following into consideration when attempting to find something.

Often the only way you'll know what fits you best is to try on as many different Lasts as possible. In fact they may not even have the shoe I want but the Last maybe available to try on. Besides just because someone has the shoe I want it may not be in the color or leather I want. Trying on sometimes is the only way to determine if it would ever be a good fit. It's very possible although the 325 Last works it may not be my best fit. Sometimes you can only discover that by trying on other Lasts. Besides if they treat me right although I may not buy this time I just might buy the next time.

Just remember your trying to put your foot in a shape that someone else determined they could sell and not a Last developed specifically for you. If you were ever to decide to buy a Bespoke shoe or boot then and only then would your feet determine the perfect shape for your feet. In the meantime your subject to what is available on the shelf and sometimes you may just get lucky and it's not always the first one.

I have some that work and I have some that fit me better. A bitter fitting shoe or boot makes for a better day.
Oh I totally agree with trying on many shoes that are from brands I’m interested in, what I meant was for instance trying on a bunch of John Lobbs is something I wouldn’t do because I have no interest in buying those
Old 30 July 2018, 06:25 AM   #143
stratguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster Pro
Time for some new boots

There are some beautiful boots in this thread. May need to get a pair of Vibergs.
stratguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2018, 07:23 AM   #144
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Not sure if I mentioned it or not but I kind of like boots.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 31 July 2018, 02:14 AM   #145
City74
Banned

Quote:
Not sure if I mentioned it or not but I kind of like boots.

Haha yea I figured

Old 31 July 2018, 05:14 AM   #146
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

I wish I had fancy boots like Dan. All I have are these work boots.

Old 31 July 2018, 05:56 AM   #147
City74
Banned

Quote:

Those look great tho
Old 31 July 2018, 02:14 PM   #148
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Ya right, someone should ask you what those really are.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 31 July 2018, 03:39 PM   #149
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ya right, someone should ask you what those really are.
What? They’re just an old fashioned pair of waterproof country boots.
Old 31 July 2018, 04:01 PM   #150
cm10005
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Hulk Sub
Something New
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 17668A2E-EF46-4AF3-A49C-765C8F991220.jpeg (205.0 KB, 104 views)
cm10005 is offline   Reply With Quote