The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 1 April 2020, 02:14 PM   #1
cdubg21
Banned

Watch: 116610LV
Chrono24 Question

Was close to making a purchase, and seller wanted the payment via Apple Pay....did not want to use the escrow feature, which it seems is in place to protect both buyer and seller. Red flags started popping up in my head, am I paranoid or does this sound fishy? Anyone had similar experience?
cdubg21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2020, 02:18 PM   #2
Cwillis0001
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Trust your gut. If it feels off, walk away. There's a million other deals to be made. Personally, I'd have passed.
Cwillis0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2020, 02:19 PM   #3
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubg21 View Post
Was close to making a purchase, and seller wanted the payment via Apple Pay....did not want to use the escrow feature, which it seems is in place to protect both buyer and seller. Red flags started popping up in my head, am I paranoid or does this sound fishy? Anyone had similar experience?
You are paranoid. But you should be whilst making a transaction like this! Sounds fishy.
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2020, 02:23 PM   #4
cdubg21
Banned

Yeah I passed. Just seemed off. I don’t see the downside to using the escrow feature from either the buyer or seller standpoint. Seems simple: put cash into account, get watch, all checks out, sale is finalized. Anything fishy, sale can be cancelled, watch returned, funds returned. Seems if everything is as described there should be no issue .
Old 1 April 2020, 02:26 PM   #5
spare
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
I don't know how it works with Apple pay, but the main reason why sellers try to persuade you to use another payment system is to bypass the substantial costs related to the escrow system. As a seller you pay a % on the sales price if you go through C24.
Obviously, I wouldn't ever deal with a seller that doesn't want to use it. It's the very premise why I trust the platform in the first place.
spare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2020, 02:37 PM   #6
nightmyth
"TRF" Member

I have purchased from Chrono24 before.

1. Read carefully what is included and not included in the purchase in terms of accessories tags, booklets, if you care about them.

2. Buy from trusted seller that has a PHYSICAL location that you could visit (before the pandemic that is)

And you should be all set.
116519LN DaytonaC
nightmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2020, 02:51 PM   #7
cdubg21
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightmyth View Post
I have purchased from Chrono24 before.

1. Read carefully what is included and not included in the purchase in terms of accessories tags, booklets, if you care about them.

2. Buy from trusted seller that has a PHYSICAL location that you could visit (before the pandemic that is)

And you should be all set.
Thanks. Item was a subC glide lock bracelet. Just seemed strange. The seller said fees were not the issue but rather it takes too long to get the funds via the escrow service. My gut said run the other way ha
Old 1 April 2020, 02:58 PM   #8
kalo925
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD50, PAM-690
Quote:
Good grief.. It would be very foolish to send money (cash) through apple pay unless you know exactly who you are dealing with. Someone with a shop should be able to process a credit card. Using any of the Cash payment apps (venmo, square, etc) you must be 100% sure you know who you are sending to, and you have 100% trust that you will receive what you buy. It's like handing cash to someone on the street but they have go get the item while you wait for them to come back.
kalo925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2020, 05:42 PM   #9
rolehex
2024 Pledge Member

I just purchased from C24 about two months ago from a guy in Germany and I'm located in California. His first sale and my first purchase through C24. We went through the escrow service and it all worked out fine. I would not have gone through with the purchase without the escrow option.
rolehex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 01:52 AM   #10
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

I've used Chrono 4 times internationally and once domestically. I always used the escrow for internationally and the domestic one we talked on the phone a few times and used paypal.

The seller pays a premium for the escrow so much like ebay, the seller sometimes tries to contact you outside of ebay to make the deal. I don't think that makes the seller dodgy necessarily, just trying to save money.

I'd just tell the guy I'll do the deal through the escrow or not at all.
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 02:49 AM   #11
keep.intime
"TRF" Member

Everything I’ve read from Chrono24 says to never buy without their escrow service. It’s a violation of terms of service and Chrono24 will not protect you from any fraud.

That said, with dealer accounts, you can see if the item is listed on the dealer’s own website and make the purchase through that channel.

For private sellers, the selling fee is 6.5%. Not sure what dealers pay who have upgraded accounts.

Nobody is in that much of a hurry that they can’t wait for the escrow payment to arrive. I’ve made one sale on Chrono24 and, IIRC, the payment cleared the bank either same day or next day.
keep.intime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 02:52 AM   #12
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
I've used Chrono 4 times internationally and once domestically. I always used the escrow for internationally and the domestic one we talked on the phone a few times and used paypal.

The seller pays a premium for the escrow so much like ebay, the seller sometimes tries to contact you outside of ebay to make the deal. I don't think that makes the seller dodgy necessarily, just trying to save money.

I'd just tell the guy I'll do the deal through the escrow or not at all.
I didn’t even know it was possible to buy something internationally on there. There are some great deals from Russian sources. :-)

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 04:05 AM   #13
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
I didn’t even know it was possible to buy something internationally on there. There are some great deals from Russian sources. :-)
I did one London, one Swiss, one Portugal and one Germany. And 2 US.

Russia. hmmmm.

Perhaps not.
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 05:11 AM   #14
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
Originally Posted by No SUBctitute View Post
You are paranoid. But you should be whilst making a transaction like this! Sounds fishy.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
Yeah, what could go wrong?

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 05:26 AM   #15
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
I did one London, one Swiss, one Portugal and one Germany. And 2 US.

Russia. hmmmm.

Perhaps not.
Thanks man. Very cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
Agreed.

Yeah, what could go wrong?
With what? Russia? I don’t think I would take the chance but aren’t you supposed to be protected either way by Chrono24

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2020, 01:11 AM   #16
Bluebirdwatch1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yeah I passed. Just seemed off. I don’t see the downside to using the escrow feature from either the buyer or seller standpoint. Seems simple: put cash into account, get watch, all checks out, sale is finalized. Anything fishy, sale can be cancelled, watch returned, funds returned. Seems if everything is as described there should be no issue .
the only downside is to the seller, but you did the right thing in my opinion as this is a large purchase regardless of which watch it was - better to be safe then sorry!!!!!
Bluebirdwatch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2020, 06:40 PM   #17
Pongster
"TRF" Member

All Russian sellers i have seen require a pick up in person.

I do like Chrono24. Bought around 40x there. Various places- US, Europe and Asia. Even twice from sellers based locally.

Havent used apple pay. Used several payment modes: escrow feature, credit card, bank wire, paypal and even cash/check for the locals.

Just have to research the seller and know what youre buying.
Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote