The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 13 August 2019, 12:56 PM   #1
Rolexoman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust II
How tight do you wear a watch

I’m sure this has been asked before and I have searched the web for an answer but am curious as to how snug one should wear a watch, I have several watches and some have steel bracelets and some leather, some are heavier than others which causes than to slide around alittle.

I am sure there are some that will say wear it as tight as your comfortable with and for me that’s kinda lose as currently any watch I wear will slide down maybe 1.5” from where I normally wear it which is below the bone on my wrist, some say you are supposed to wear it higher up on the wrist above that bone that sticks out but I don’t like the looks of where that is so I wear it lower on my wrist so with all my rambling how snug should any watch be, most times I can slip a finger between the band and my wrist when it’s in the position that I normally wear.
Citizens Eco-Drive BL1258-53L Rolex DJII 116334, Tudor Heritage Black Bay 79230R Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra GMT 231.13.43.22.02.004 Ulysse Nardin Marine Torpilleur 1183.310/40 MAS Irukandji Vostok Komandirskie B&R BR0392-D-G-BR/SCA Vostok Komandirskie (Tank) South Bend Model 1 #716632 Vostok Amphibia (Sub)
Rolexoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 02:45 PM   #2
Michaeli Paulo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Here are a few threads like this one, found by searching this site.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...ight=How+tight

I like to wear mine above the bone, snug enough so it doesn’t slide down over the bone. I find this placement the most comfortable, as “comfort wise” the watch “disappears” in this position.

You might try it for awhile; you may get used to this look.

These guys seem to feel the same way:

Pictures gratefully borrowed from Jake’s website.

Michael
Michaeli Paulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 03:51 PM   #3
Dr. Robert
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1655
Loose, like my women.
Old 13 August 2019, 04:01 PM   #4
Rolexoman
"TRF" Member

Thank you for the info
Citizens Eco-Drive BL1258-53L Rolex DJII 116334, Tudor Heritage Black Bay 79230R Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra GMT 231.13.43.22.02.004 Ulysse Nardin Marine Torpilleur 1183.310/40 MAS Irukandji Vostok Komandirskie B&R BR0392-D-G-BR/SCA Vostok Komandirskie (Tank) South Bend Model 1 #716632 Vostok Amphibia (Sub)
Old 13 August 2019, 06:11 PM   #5
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Loose enough to slide a bit, tight enough to stay above the wrist bone.
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 06:21 PM   #6
Rolexoman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscmatt99 View Post
Loose enough to slide a bit, tight enough to stay above the wrist bone.
I’m guessing I’m not in the normal category as I wear mine pretty far down on my wrist and that’s below the bone
Old 13 August 2019, 06:27 PM   #7
Subterranean
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1989 16610 Sub
Like it firm but not tight.
Subterranean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 06:42 PM   #8
Brew
"TRF" Member

I can slide my index finger between my wrist and the bracelet, with the watch sitting above the bone on my wrist. Fits fine for daily wear, exercise, etc. like this, without ever needing to extend the bracelet.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 07:28 PM   #9
Rolexoman
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the info Gents, I will try some different levels of snug but I do like things a tad loose but never gave a thought to it affecting accuracy by not wearing snug enough to keep it wound
Old 13 August 2019, 08:20 PM   #10
Yzord
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Gibeon watch
Very loose, don't like the idea it is stuck on one place.
Old 13 August 2019, 08:34 PM   #11
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Tight enough that it does not move but loose enough that it does not leave a mark when I take it off.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2019, 01:56 AM   #12
Michaeli Paulo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexoman View Post
I’m guessing I’m not in the normal category as I wear mine pretty far down on my wrist and that’s below the bone
There’s not really a “normal category” as something like this is based on so many variables. Comfort, fashion, utility, personal taste and even our individual perception of how a watch “should be” worn, are all factors here.

I had to chuckle after I posted the pictures of “well known” stars wearing their Rolexes. To many here, this probably looks like a photo album from the “old days!” (What does it matter to anyone today how a young Sean Connery or Lloyd Bridges or his son, Jeff or even Thomas “Magnum” Selleck wore their Rolexes?)

I realized that these photos are from 35, 40, even 50 years ago. Not very relevant if viewed in the interest of what’s “fashionable.” Since then, sagging pants, long shorts, baggy clothes and drooping watches have all become popular.
(And since it isn’t all about “fashion” you could probably find plenty of photos of others from “way back then” who instead wore their watches looser or under the bone)

But, when I posted, I wasn’t thinking “fashion” but “utility,” since you had mentioned “fit.” These are all “men’s men” wearing their classic watches for form and function, (besides status) even though they happen to look great doing it.

Michael

Michaeli Paulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2019, 07:01 AM   #13
SPMN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Omega
High and tight. I HATE it when a watch falls below my wrist bone. It just seems that it puts unnecessary stress on the bracelet from flexing like that. I also really dislike the feeling of a loose watch. They feel heavier, and I "notice" them more throughout the day.

High and tight feels secure and safe to me.
SPMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2019, 08:13 AM   #14
Turnaround
"TRF" Member

Not loose enough that it spins around on my wrist, but I like it to move around a bit.
Turnaround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2019, 08:17 AM   #15
Peter Toronto
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPMN View Post
High and tight. I HATE it when a watch falls below my wrist bone. It just seems that it puts unnecessary stress on the bracelet from flexing like that. I also really dislike the feeling of a loose watch. They feel heavier, and I "notice" them more throughout the day.

High and tight feels secure and safe to me.

That’s exactly how and why I wear my watches as I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Peter Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2019, 11:59 AM   #16
JDsnewwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN with BCL
You should be able to slide your index finger between your wrist and the watch. That will leave an acceptable amount of room for natural expansion of the wrist.
JDsnewwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2019, 12:21 PM   #17
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

Just my personal preference:

To me, a loose watch, especially on a heavy bracelet, is a constant annoyance. I like to wear my watches comfortably snug on my wrist. If a watch ever slides down over my wrist bone: 1) it looks strange, like I’m a kid wearing my dad’s watch; 2) the crown digs into the back of my hand when I flex my wrist; 3) there’s a lot of force on the bracelet (or strap) when I flex my wrist; and 4) a loose watch is more prone to knocking into things. I like my watch to be secure on my wrist and predictably in the same place so I minimize the chances of damaging it against door knobs, door jams, desk drawers, etc. Again, just my preference. Your mileage may vary.
BigAppleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2019, 11:47 PM   #18
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Robert View Post
Loose, like my women.

You should prob check your arm hairs for these guys then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 11:07 PM   #19
Commandopat
"TRF" Member

I think much of this is predicated on the person’s build and wrist. I have very large forearms and little bone that sticks out of the wrist, so in wearing it tight-ish, there is only one place where it can go and that’s below the bone. It does, however, hit the top of my hand but after a while you don’t really notice it.
Commandopat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 11:10 PM   #20
michaelodonnell123
Banned

Watch: Panerai 112
I wear my watch so tight that I blew the sox off my feet.
michaelodonnell123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 12:26 AM   #21
WyoWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT and Sub C
Just tight enough to where I can slip a pinky finger between my wrist and bracelet / strap.
WyoWatch is offline   Reply With Quote