The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

View Poll Results: do you think the ss sd 43 is a great reference ?
yes very much 350 73.53%
ehh, not so much 126 26.47%
Voters: 476. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23 August 2019, 02:44 AM   #31
Bryant Park
Banned

eijiboy Do you live in your parents basement and wear your dad's watch (refer to photo)? You are wearing a watch on both wrists?

Sorry and just kidding, I am tremendously jealous of youth these days
Bryant Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 02:49 AM   #32
Macnavara
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry F. View Post
hello fellow forum members

I'm on the list for the ss sd43 and should get the call in the next couple of months. as it's listed at 10.8k and that's quiet an amount for me, I wonder if I should pull the trigger ? Therefore, I need some of your input to help me get convinced of this watch or install some more doubt

Well, my question is, for the members who own or have owned the ss sd43...what is your general feeling for this watch (weight, proportions, lume, built etc...) ?

and members who don't like the watch, what do you dislike about it ?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Regards
Out of my sub my deepsea and my sd43 id take the sub all day long...the other two are big heavy and disproportioned...the deepsea is so tall youll be forever whacking against door frames...believe me it was may daily for 5 x years so i know what im talking about
All said depends on wrist size and your preference but i dont think either are worth the extra dollar
Old 23 August 2019, 02:50 AM   #33
Macnavara
"TRF" Member

Sorry just seen that you ask only about the sd43...for me it just feels bloated and the wider bracelet look homage...just my opinion
Old 23 August 2019, 02:51 AM   #34
pearson1995
"TRF" Member

My wrists are too small for it, but it’s imo one of the best releases by Rolex in recent years. If I had bigger wrists it would absolutely be in my collection.
Old 23 August 2019, 03:02 AM   #35
eijiboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryant Park View Post
eijiboy Do you live in your parents basement and wear your dad's watch (refer to photo)? You are wearing a watch on both wrists?

Sorry and just kidding, I am tremendously jealous of youth these days

Lol thats ok. And thanks for calling me youth. Im already 34 but look young. I dont live there, i have my own apt but i keep my watch at my brother house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
eijiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 03:11 AM   #36
Gary.
"TRF" Member

I have had one for a couple of years now (I was first on my AD's list) and have a few thoughts on the size after all that time.

It ain't that big.

Ok, to elaborate: my wrist is 6.75 so on the smaller side of what is acceptable according to conventional wisdom but, I think that those of us who are longterm Rolex wearers are bringing some visual baggage to this watch.

Objectively, it is not massive for a dive watch. There are plenty people wearing larger models from Omega, Seiko, Panerai etc without any problem.
The trouble is that the Sea-Dweller looks like an enlarged version of a watch that most of us are very used to seeing at 40mm. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that most of the people here have at least owned one of the other Rolex SSS models in the past. You get used the styling and it becomes familiar and then, suddenly, you are presented with something that your brain identifies as that familiar thing- only it's too big.

If you put a Sea-dweller on and stand a few feet from a mirror, the watch looks great. When you look down at your wrist, it looks huge.

Until you get used to it.

It just takes a little time to retrain the brain. Then, when you have, you'll have a great watch that you'll love for its unique character.
Gary. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 03:11 AM   #37
MHB
"TRF" Member

Watch: VTNR, 214270, FXD
Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
The best all-around diver Rolex produces IMO. It's a stunning reference
This...if you have the wrist/build for it. When I first saw it I thought too big, too thick blah blah. But the more I look at it the more I feel it’s the most badass and masculine dive watch on the market without being gaudy or too tryhard.

If a sub is a Porsche 911 Carrera, the SD43 is a 911 GT3.
MHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 03:13 AM   #38
PanosI
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
And a pic

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
PanosI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 03:14 AM   #39
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary. View Post
I have had one for a couple of years now (I was first on my AD's list) and have a few thoughts on the size after all that time.

It ain't that big.

Ok, to elaborate: my wrist is 6.75 so on the smaller side of what is acceptable according to conventional wisdom but, I think that those of us who are longterm Rolex wearers are bringing some visual baggage to this watch.

Objectively, it is not massive for a dive watch. There are plenty people wearing larger models from Omega, Seiko, Panerai etc without any problem.
The trouble is that the Sea-Dweller looks like an enlarged version of a watch that most of us are very used to seeing at 40mm. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that most of the people here have at least owned one of the other Rolex SSS models in the past. You get used the styling and it becomes familiar and then, suddenly, you are presented with something that your brain identifies as that familiar thing- only it's too big.

If you put a Sea-dweller on and stand a few feet from a mirror, the watch looks great. When you look down at your wrist, it looks huge.

Until you get used to it.

It just takes a little time to retrain the brain. Then, when you have, you'll have a great watch that you'll love for its unique character.
i agree

In my experience it wears closer to a sub than a DSSD. I use to have a DSSD and it wears way bigger. Its bigger obviously than a sub, but the key is its proportions are way better than a deepsea
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 03:14 AM   #40
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
I like it. But it’s not a SD successor.

At 40-42mm it would have been a perfect SubD.

The next Subs will take cues from the model.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 03:15 AM   #41
abozz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660, 126600
Quote:
Originally Posted by eijiboy View Post
Only got 6.4 wrist and love it. Its how you feel about it. Dont care what people say

Looks wonderful on you!!!
abozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 03:16 AM   #42
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abozz View Post
Looks wonderful on you!!!
which watch are we talking about?
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 23 August 2019, 03:18 AM   #43
abozz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660, 126600
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
which watch are we talking about?

Both!
abozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 03:27 AM   #44
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Interestingly whenever there’s a discussion about this watch folk will always say “if you have the wrist for it” or “you need a 7.5” wrist to pull it off”. Yet by my count there are five owners on here (including me) who’ve ‘fessed up to having a 6.75” or smaller wrist. Which backs up the comments above about how the watch wears smaller than its measurements suggest.

Well either that or the five of us have some weird wrist/watch perception dysmorphia.
Old 23 August 2019, 03:27 AM   #45
Batmannr1
"TRF" Member

Watch: On the left wrist
I own a SD43 and love the 126600. It is bulky, but well proportioned. I prefer it over a SubC, which I owned and sold because I felt the 116610LN was the less loved little brother.
Batmannr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 03:30 AM   #46
scombs263
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex SD43
The SD 43 (IMO) is the perfect sports watch. I love mine and it is one that i will never sell. Such an amazing piece.
scombs263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 03:30 AM   #47
Justingtr
"TRF" Member

Best looking watch Rolex makes. Unfortunately it was a little big and heavy for my small wrists so I went back to the trusty SubC.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Justingtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 03:34 AM   #48
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centron View Post
It’s the perfect Rolex diver for me. The proportions are spot on, the lume is above parr. The red-line is divine, gives the watch panache, the epitome of a mans diving watch. I wear it everyday without a fuss. The new movement is accurate and so far trouble free. I have no concerns with the weight at all, it’s a non-issue, so is the thickness. I’ve worn much thicker watches without problems too. The watch sinks into the wrist and doesn’t ride as high as you’d think. The cyclops is perfect for my aging eyes. It has absolutely more presence and character then the standard sub. It really is a stand out and exceptional piece.
This is about the best description I have read, agree with all of this 100%
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 03:34 AM   #49
dmb359
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
Interestingly whenever there’s a discussion about this watch folk will always say “if you have the wrist for it” or “you need a 7.5” wrist to pull it off”. Yet by my count there are five owners on here (including me) who’ve ‘fessed up to having a 6.75” or smaller wrist. Which backs up the comments above about how the watch wears smaller than its measurements suggest.

Well either that or the five of us have some weird wrist/watch perception dysmorphia.
Probably just that you have a different preference on what looks big, or what you like to wear. Wrist circumference doesn't always tell the whole story, as wrist shape and other things affect how it looks too. I don't think it wears smaller than it is, some people just like the look of a bigger watch.

To me it looks way too big (and too loose) on eijiboy's wrist. If he likes that though, perfect, thats what he should be wearing. Nobody needs approval from anyone here to wear what they like, and there will always be a wide variety of opinions on any watch topic like this.
Old 23 August 2019, 03:39 AM   #50
Gladiat0r
"TRF" Member

I traded my Sub C date for the SD43. It definitely feels heavier and looks larger and sits higher. It’s perfect for me with my 8+” wrist and 250lbs build. I wear it it every weekday.
Gladiat0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 03:40 AM   #51
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb359 View Post
Probably just that you have a different preference on what looks big, or what you like to wear. Wrist circumference doesn't always tell the whole story, as wrist shape and other things affect how it looks too. I don't think it wears smaller than it is, some people just like the look of a bigger watch.

To me it looks way too big (and too loose) on eijiboy's wrist. If he likes that though, perfect, thats what he should be wearing. Nobody needs approval from anyone here to wear what they like, and there will always be a wide variety of opinions on any watch topic like this.
True. We all judge whether a watch is too big based on our OWN opinion of what constitutes too large a size. I had an older GMT and to my eyes is was way too small. Other people may think it looks perfect. Only the wearer can decide if a watch is the size they prefer. We have been trained to think that 40mm is the "right" size and anything bigger is too big and anything smaller is too small (see any DJ36 thread to confirm this). In many other brands 43 mm would be considered small. To each his own...
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 03:46 AM   #52
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Very few people can carry it off.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 03:47 AM   #53
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb359 View Post

I agree with most of that.

My post was partly a comment on the redundancy of people projecting their subjective impressions onto others.

I accept that my impression the watch wears smaller than its measurements could be placebo/wishful thinking.
Old 23 August 2019, 03:50 AM   #54
Brew
"TRF" Member

It's big and inelegant. I think my DJ, OP, and YM are each better watches to swim with, so it gets no points from me for its depth rating, etc.

Not for me.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 03:51 AM   #55
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

how do you feel about the ss sd43 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcameron View Post
Very few people can carry it off.

IDK. i put my wrist right in the average range. 7.25.

No way its too big. Wrist shots always look big too and there is zero overhang even in a wrist shot . anyone know the lug to lug difference vs a sub?

Old 23 August 2019, 04:09 AM   #56
crazycarlitos
"TRF" Member

It’s bad-ass, without trying too hard

A homerun by Rolex

A perfect watch for me
Old 23 August 2019, 04:29 AM   #57
Purdue_Chip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
I don’t own this, yet, but have tried it on. I personally feel this is one of the best all around watches Rolex makes. Size, aesthetics, everything about this watch is good in my book

Purdue_Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 04:40 AM   #58
Gary.
"TRF" Member

following my post above, this is a pic' in a mirror on a 6.75 wrist.

Gary. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 05:06 AM   #59
jrbar-on
2024 Pledge Member

I love the SD43 ...

I just managed to get one of these a month ago and love it. I had to sell my Sub C No Date but IMHO it was worth it. I was a bit concerned about the size as I have a 6.7" wrist but it fits very well on my wrist and the clasp is perfectly centered. I highly recommend it and it is currently my favorite watch amongst a BP Bathyscaphe, a Vacheron Overseas (gen II), and Hanhart Pioneer.

Cheers,
Jonathan
jrbar-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 05:44 AM   #60
007_Omega
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
If you've ever thought to yourself you wish the Sub was bigger, then it's probably the watch for you. Proportionally, it is amazing though I'd have slimmed it down to 42mm. They made it 43mm to distinguish it from any other watch in the range.

The cyclops is a shame. Rolex claims technological advancement but I'd put it down to mostly being a decision to sell more watches to the mainstream. The Sea-Dweller was previously a hardcore enthusiast's watch but the cyclops makes it a valid Sub alternative for the masses. People want that cyclops to show the world they have a Rolex.

The weight of the watch may be an issue. While not a Deepsea, it is still very heavy and it does get uncomfortable. I have small wrists but the watch isn't as massive as it is made out to be. The Sub's maxi-lugs bridge the gap between the 2 watches. It's not a jump between a 40mm watch to a 43mm. More like a 41.5 to a 43mm.
007_Omega is offline   Reply With Quote