The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 11 September 2019, 01:32 AM   #1
Rick Deckard
"TRF" Member

Daytona 116500LN Clasp damaged, looking for replacement part ref.

Good Morning.

I am sure that this will sound like a serious case of OCD, but that's how I am. Some of you will understand, so please don't judge me to harshly.

My 2017 Daytona 116500LN fell into the wrong hands (my son's) and he tried to close the clasp but unfortunately bent the hinge the wrong way. So now the hinge has a two areas in which you can see slightly bent metal due to the leverage exercised. I will try and add some pictures below.

And while the clasp works just fine, it bugs the hell out of me. OCD, yes.

Therefore, as silly as this may sound, I want to replace the clasp, but I am unsure if it is interchangeable with any of the other Rolex models. Ideally, I would like to keep the original clasp, but when I took it to my two ADs, they both want to keep the old one for an exchange.

Could anyone here tell me the part number of the clasp I should be looking for, please? Also, any smart ideas where to get it? ;) Thank you.

Chris
Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2019, 05:59 AM   #2
Rick Deckard
"TRF" Member

Here are the pictures:

Old 11 September 2019, 12:32 PM   #3
2019 HARRODS BB Pledge Member

Watch: Plastic GMT
Rolex has clamped down on spare parts. If two ADs both said this was a trade-in-only part then it's unlikely a dealer will risk selling a part outright without a trade-in.

If you're okay enough with the damage to want to keep it then you might as well just wear it and get it swapped at service time. Otherwise, pay the difference in exchange, get a new clasp and consider your watch no different than it was before your son made this mistake.

Good luck.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2019, 02:30 PM   #4
Rick Deckard
"TRF" Member

You could have put "damage" in quotation marks, it would not have hurt my feelings. ;) I know that a sane and reasonable person would (and should) not be bothered by this at all. So you are right, but after all, this is a serious hobby, so I may give the green light on the exchange.

Given the "exchange only" policy at this time, do you know if they will give a sort of credit for the returned part? You said "pay the difference" and I was not sure as to how I should interpret that.

Thanks for your thoughts, always welcome.

Cheers

Chris
Old 11 September 2019, 06:04 PM   #5
watchmaker
TechXpert & 2019 HARRODS Pledge Member

The RRP is the exchange price with the value of your old parts taken in to consideration.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2019, 01:52 AM   #6

Watch: Plastic GMT
Well, it's still damaged whether in or out of quotation marks. The level of damage is minimal but it's not a scuff or scrape.

Yes, you'll get credit for your old clasp when trading it in to replace. Your dealer can tell you the exact amount or you can call RUSA at 212-758-7700 and ask them for a price. As watchmaker said, the price you were quoted very well may have included the exchange already.

If your watch is insured (and I hope it is) then this may be covered under accidental damage.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2019, 12:14 PM   #7
Rick Deckard
"TRF" Member

I talked to the RSC today. A new clasp for the Daytona is $1,350 plus around $100 in labor and tax. But they want me to send the entire watch in, so I will probably cave and see that I can get it replaced at an AD here.

The wife thinks I have completely lost it.

Chris
Old 12 September 2019, 07:25 PM   #8
padi56
Moderator & 2019 HARRODS BB Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Deckard View Post
I talked to the RSC today. A new clasp for the Daytona is $1,350 plus around $100 in labor and tax. But they want me to send the entire watch in, so I will probably cave and see that I can get it replaced at an AD here.

The wife thinks I have completely lost it.

Chris
I would say your wife is a 100% correct, as long as clasp functions as normal if it needs replacing have it done at nest routine service.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2019, 09:07 PM   #9
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Your watch, your choice. I would replace it as if you were good with it we would not have heard from you here. Just money and time. Once it is repaired it will just be a memory.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2019, 11:30 AM   #10
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
I’d put the money towards a “beater” Tudor instead and replace your Daytona clasp at service. But make yourself happy and enjoy your watch is my suggestion even if that means a new clasp.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2019, 11:34 AM   #11
Tools
Moderator & 2019 HARRODS BB Patron

Watch: GMT's
Send the clasp to Rolliworks and ask if they can laser-weld those cracks and refinish the metal to factory specs.

Certainly couldn't hurt, if you are already thinking that your clasp is toast.