The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 2 April 2019, 11:01 AM   #31
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoilsofwar01 View Post
I'm not a fan of Breitling as I'm of the understanding that its uses modified ETA movements, cosmetically to me they also look odd, if they went back to basics and started making their own movements then id show an interest.

So you'd only be interested in Rolex post 2004 then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
watchmavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2019, 10:47 AM   #32
roadcarver
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600
Love my Chrono Avenger Breitling. Also love my SD. I like watches that sings to me. I still even have my Iron man by Timex. Still ticking.

Old 4 April 2019, 09:05 AM   #33
watchprenuer
"TRF" Member

breitling are great watches tho
watchprenuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2019, 08:21 PM   #34
Bluehase284
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm not a fan of Breitling as I'm of the understanding that its uses modified ETA movements, cosmetically to me they also look odd, if they went back to basics and started making their own movements then id show an interest.
Breitling do make their own movements and use them in most of the 'top tier' watches they make. Any cronograh with a panda/reverse panda dial is an in house movement - this has been the case since they introduced the B01 movement.

Their B01 chronograph is well thought of, and they are also used in Tudor chronographs (and breitling have a 3 hand movement back from Tudor in exchange).
Bluehase284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2019, 09:49 AM   #35
jnelson3097
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehase284 View Post
Breitling do make their own movements and use them in most of the 'top tier' watches they make. Any cronograh with a panda/reverse panda dial is an in house movement - this has been the case since they introduced the B01 movement.

Their B01 chronograph is well thought of, and they are also used in Tudor chronographs (and breitling have a 3 hand movement back from Tudor in exchange).
The contrasting dial color and subs is only a recent move with the in house movements. There are plenty of B01 movements with the same dial and sub colors from previous years. Kern is now adopting the reverse logic going forward.
jnelson3097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2019, 01:26 PM   #36
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Rolex vs Breitling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnelson3097 View Post
The contrasting dial color and subs is only a recent move with the in house movements. There are plenty of B01 movements with the same dial and sub colors from previous years. Kern is now adopting the reverse logic going forward.

I thought it was 3-6-9 in-house and 12-9-6 ETA

Old 8 April 2019, 01:53 PM   #37
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Prefer the 40mm size as a maximum... haven’t looked at breitling in a long time but the are on the bigger side to my memory
Old 8 April 2019, 02:16 PM   #38
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
Prefer the 40mm size as a maximum... haven’t looked at breitling in a long time but the are on the bigger side to my memory

I have a 43 mm Avenger that wears smaller than a lot of maxi-case Rollies.

Old 8 April 2019, 03:09 PM   #39
Bluehase284
"TRF" Member

I agree - my 43mm navitimer wears about the same as my 116610 Sub.
Bluehase284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2019, 04:26 PM   #40
didyunt
Banned

Rolex.
didyunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2019, 02:27 PM   #41
cup8
Banned

I do have the SuperOcean but it will definitely be the Rolex for me.
cup8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2019, 10:01 AM   #42
jer276
Banned

I intend getting more of both brands in my collection, I currently have an OP and plan on getting the Navitimer soon.
jer276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 01:47 AM   #43
Flyoverguy
"TRF" Member

They are all great watches. Get what you like.
Flyoverguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2019, 04:30 PM   #44
InitialAndPitch
Banned

Watch: GMT-II BLRO PEPSI
Love my Breitlings. My Navitimer has served some pretty hardcore cockpit time over many years. Over 12 years, 2 full services which used to take 3 months. Breitling and holding value really shouldn’t even appear in the same sentence. But I’m not selling.

The wait time for a Breitling is 45 seconds. Rolex another universe.

Despite Breitlings being big watches generally, the Rolex feels more solid.
InitialAndPitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2019, 03:06 AM   #45
spoilsofwar01
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing Rainclouds
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmavan View Post
So you'd only be interested in Rolex post 2004 then.

I have both, pre 2004 and post 2004 however cosmetically Breitling's look odd to me and so my preference is Rolex.
Smiths W10 1968
Tissot Seastar 2011
spoilsofwar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2019, 07:26 AM   #46
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have both, pre 2004 and post 2004 however cosmetically Breitling's look odd to me and so my preference is Rolex.

Both make some nice pieces to serve different tastes in watches. I own both, but the movement myth is just that... A marketing myth. By any empirical measurement my Tudor MT5402 is better than anything in any current Rolex as and I would say the equal of the 3200 series. My Breitling Avenger has my most accurate movement and it's an ETA.

Old 15 April 2019, 10:07 PM   #47
ggonz
"TRF" Member

Rolex for days. A couple of years ago I bought a Breitling Superocean Heritage 42mm to be a more casual watch for daily wear. Back then my only watch was my 116613 TT Sub-C and I didn't like that the gold was getting scratched up, so I went for something more subdued that I wouldn't have to worry about as much.

But boy I missed wearing the Rolex so much that I stopped wearing the Breitling and kept on daily wearing the Rolex for a good time period. The Breitling is an awesome watch and they make fantastic pieces, don't get me wrong, but the problem is that it's not as well built and coming from a Rolex it's a definite downgrade. The clasp, the crown, the bracelet, the weight of the watch. So many of these small details are what takes away the value from the Breitling.

And like many others said, the Rolex will hold its value while the Breitling will not. I was pissed off when I saw my Breitling for sale at a Breitling discount outlet. WTF?
ggonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2019, 01:24 PM   #48
SOG DIVER
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680Red-551214060M
Watches are a subjective choice.

Mine are tool-watch Rolex Submariners that are at least vintage and difficult to obtain.
These were made to be tough chronometers that can take tough diving requirements year after year-but hold accuracy standards and value.

So-the end decision is relative. The Rolex can still command stares at the end of a hard salt-water day, but shine well with the right gal at a black tie gala affair in the evening.

What's not to like?
SOG DIVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2019, 05:00 PM   #49
Robertus2
"TRF" Member

IMHO Rolex is still the better in the non-chronograph region but Breitling at least followed suit in the chronograph league. The B01 today has minus point to the 4130 only at the escapement (I hope the following few years will bring an excellent escapement upgrade at the B01) but has the huge advantage of the date feature (important for me). Other parts than these two are generally equal. I'd prefer (not value-wise but wearing!) ten times out of ten my 41 mm Chronomat B01 to the Daytona: almost same size (41 vs. 40 mm), with the 300 m water-resistance and turning bezel feature (also important for me) of a Sub, excellent bracelet (I have an upgraded clasp), wider dial versions to choose from, including my favourite, the Blackeye-Blue. I hope they'll bring back the 41 mm Chronomat some time...
I also feel fine with my Chronomat 41 as much on the beach and during XC-skiing as in the Opera House, wearing a suit.
Regarding large "week-end and holiday's" watches I could put a SDDS on my wrist and disliked it: the crystal looked for me strange and the bracelet disproportionate, while the same size (Blackeye-Blue :) ) Steelfish Chrono with the old and trusted day-date Valjoux 7750 wear fantastic on my 6.7" wrist.
Just my two cents of course but having had (and already sold) 3 Rolex watches (16610, 16613 blue dial and 16710) I do not really miss them now. I still respect the Rolex output and quality but I'll return as owner once there'll be a steel Daytona with day-date and turning 60' bezel - considering the speed of Rolex new products I do not expect it in the next 20-30 years :(
Of course all these very subjective points as always.
Best,
Robert
Robertus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 01:23 PM   #50
holdtime
Banned

Breitling you can buy at discount now.
Rolex not so much.
holdtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2019, 02:40 PM   #51
gtnator
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, SD43, Pepsi,
Or enough pictures in this thread, I’ve lost interest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gtnator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2019, 08:34 AM   #52
Rescue 26
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT 1675
I've owned both (and still do), so have no agenda. FWIW I bought a Crosswind b13355 in 2005 for A$4500 and just sold it (virtually unworn) for A$2500. Bought a Rolex GMT Master in 2010 for A$7000, wore it every day and sold it a month ago for A$14,000.
Rescue 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2019, 06:46 AM   #53
Bebop1337
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Batman
both - done and done.
Bebop1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2019, 04:56 AM   #54
ItnStln
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexlover1992 View Post
Actually there is, but no sub or gmt for me.
I came to realize that i don't like these two models in particular, also i prefer my rolexes with polished lugs, like a yachtmaster 1. Which i bought and sold allready.
I want a GMT or Sub but I don’t like the way they fit on my wrist. Anything smaller than 42mm doesn’t feel right. The Breitlings I have are 43mm and they fit perfect. I’m going to eventually get an Explorer II or a DSSD as they are 42mm but I haven’t pulled the trigger yet in hopes of a larger GMT. Ultimately get what you want as you’ll be the one wearing it.
ItnStln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2019, 09:12 PM   #55
Mike Jab
Banned

Obvious and easy decision - the Breitling.
Mike Jab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2019, 07:29 AM   #56
minhc88
"TRF" Member

Certain Rolex SS sports models are very hyped at the moment. You really can't beat Breitling's build quality for its price. Great link and case build. It's always good to diversify

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
minhc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2019, 07:21 PM   #57
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Agreed. Why choose one! Have both.

Old 8 October 2019, 10:41 PM   #58
BigBoy17
"TRF" Member

If you didnt know watches and put a professional model breitling next to a professional model rolex... i would go for the breitling everytime. The breitling has more heft to it, built like a tank, and has multiple different chronograph styles... rolex only has the daytona in comparison. I find myself only wearing the new ceramic rolex watches for
Formal outings or dinner dates as that ceramic bezel def cannot take a beating. Now my breiltings i wear anywhere and everywhere and dont worry about damaging as much as my rolex models
BigBoy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2019, 07:10 AM   #59
HiDive
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Seadweller50
I agree with this post

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmavan View Post
I'm a bit (lot) over who has the biggest d!ck arguments. There are too many (insert brand) fanboys and not enough watch lovers. I own Rolex, Omega, Brietling, Heuer, Tudor and love each of them more because they are all very different. I couldn't think of anything worse than 5-6 watches all with the same DNA.
I have two Rolex watches, two Sinn, two Seiko (one Grand Seiko), a Baume & Mercier, and a Timefactors Dreadnaught PRS-21. I also have a few Citizen Eco-Drives and a couple of G-Shocks. I have owned a couple of Breitlings in the past and wish I still had my Avenger Seawolf in titanium.

For me at least, Rolex does not make that many watches that I like. My next watch will probably be a Seiko Marine Master SBDX023.
HiDive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2019, 11:59 AM   #60
Danrice
"TRF" Member

Breitling Navitimer GMT or Skydweller with date. Both have their own benefits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Danrice is offline   Reply With Quote