The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watch Reviews (Non-Rolex)

Old 19 July 2019, 11:53 PM   #1
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
AQUA TERRA 150M OMEGA CO‑AXIAL MASTER CHRONOMETER 41 MM -- Review

Review of my new Omega Aqua Terra -- long read with images

Precious metal, METAS and a passion for watches

Where to look next when you are bored with your watch collection?

I look at watches every day, I may buy once a year when something really stands out to me and fills a need in my collection. Over the years I have made many mistakes, bought and sold, reduced my collection and tried to reach a tenuous peace with the money spent for the reward it brings.

I have long shied away from precious metal as I am a movement aficionado. Anyone can make a case and polish it; the movement is the heart and soul of a mechanical watch. Those seeking accuracy are not thrilled with a beautiful case and poor performance. In addition, the price premium up until recently simply did not justify the material to me.

To that end I rarely look at precious metal. I do not like yellow gold, period. Rose gold or white is my preference and platinum is simply priced too high for my comfort.

I have looked at the Omega Aqua Terra line for several years since it was redesigned with the new 8900 series Co-Axial movement. The Cal. 8900 is the first movement to receive approved certification from METAS, the Swiss Federal Institute of Metrology. Although the COSC may test the precision of the watch in different temporal conditions, the simulation of natural wearing of the watch is never carried out. METAS advocates exactly these test methods by simulating daily wear and tear including test of waterproofness and magnetic resistance.

https://www.montredo.com/en/top-10-omega-calibres/

Cal. 8900 since 2015, features two barrels in series, providing a power reserve of 60 hours. It uses a free-spring balance and silicon balance spring, making it resistant to magnetic fields up to 15,000 Gauss. Like its predecessor, it operates at 25,200 A/h rather than the more-common 28,800 A/h with automatic winding in both directions and a time zone function in the 8901. The 8901 is fitted to precious metal models with a 18K Sedna™ gold rotor and balance bridge and luxury finish with Geneva waves in arabesque.

The Time Zone function is very handy for travel and DST changes, a nice feature that is hidden from normal view. The date change is instantaneous and spot on 12 for my watch.

The grey and blue model struck me first. It is interesting to note that my tastes and biases have evolved with my collection. I never used to like rubber straps, I now prefer smaller watches that are less heavy, and I like pieces that can be worn in a variety of situations. The Aqua Terra with its 150m water resistance, slimmer profile and lighter weight due to the rubber strap was really piquing my interest. On top of this, the price point for this package is very compelling.

I passed on the grey and blue two years ago as I was making major changes to my collection and trying to replace the only true dress piece I had. The impression was still there when I again looked this year.

The desire however, was not. Something left me wanting, the watch was not singing to me. My passion has been fading for some time as I have grown bored with what I own. I still enjoy my watches but they have become objects and I can still only wear one at a time. I also had a nagging feeling that the strap was somehow integrated into the watch head, making changes difficult.

Enter my good friend Dean who knows me well and shares a love of watches with me and can commiserate over the current worldwide hysteria that is arguably ruining the hobby. We spent time talking, having dinner and not getting too serious as that tends to ruin everything. Dean hears my concern about the strap and proceeds to take a look for himself.

The strap has a metal insert that sits flush to the case, putting on a different strap would be no different than any other watch! Score one for Omega.

My watch buying process is to research, see, try on, take images, think, have a few drinks and spread this out over about a week to make a decision. I was nearing the end of that week when I made a last attempt to see what was available, yes, I know that anything can be ordered but I am a see touch try and buy person.

I looked at my usual suspects, Rolex, Omega, JLC, IWC, Vacheron and even spent time with a Panerai that had caught my eye. I was resigned to the fact that this would be a year without a watch purchase and I had made peace with that. Keep my cash, keep my wife happy and wait.

Dean pulls out several watches to show me, all very nice, all worthy . . . and then he says to me “This is not for you to buy, I just wanted to show it to you”.

Cue the singing! Loudly!

My heart sank, my pulse quickened, precious metal and likely out of my price comfort zone. “Why did you show me this”? Wow, love the feel on my wrist, the rubber strap is very supple and the deployant is superbly engineered.

I can get this watch with a movement that has been tested like this? I need another drink. The test results page reads:

“As a certified Master Chronometer, your watch has been officially proven at the industry's highest level. On top of renowned COSC certification, OMEGA has gone even further, delivering additional independent certification for the movement and watch from the Swiss Federal Office of Metrology (METAS). This remarkable 10 days of testing has included exposure to severe magnetic fields of 15,000 gauss, as well as the most intensive trials of precision.

Your finished watch passed every stage with distinction.”

I rarely say yes to anything on the spot, not my nature and I tend to be cautious about everything.

“What is the price on this one”? “Really”?

My wife is smiling to me over the phone having previously seen the watch, “if you want it then get it, I like it”. I am a lucky man in more ways than one.

My passion is rekindled, I am now enjoying my collection again, for how long? Who knows? This piece fits great into my rotation and brings a smile to my face each time I put it on. I can wear it in a variety of situations and it will likely become part of my travel rotation given the quick set, WR and dress looks.

The performance has been stellar after nearly three weeks, I checked the METAS report on the watch and it is very good. All Omega pieces with a Master Chronometer movement have their results stored for the owners viewing.

A few final shots of this beauty, it gleams in the sun and blue being my favorite color simply set the entire watch off even more. The fit and finish is as good as I have seen on any watch, the packaging superb including a beautiful box with slots for cards and accessories.

I highly recommend taking a look at this line of Omega watches, thanks for reading.

https://www.omegawatches.com/planet-...certification/
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2019, 04:13 PM   #2
mr_gray
"TRF" Member

Watch: SMURF
great story, lovely result, beautiful watch.

i really like how our interest in watches can change over time. and the open mind was rewarded well in this case. also cheers to the missus!

good times.
mr_gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2019, 05:36 PM   #3
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Nice review.

Thanks.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2019, 10:57 PM   #4
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_gray View Post
great story, lovely result, beautiful watch.

i really like how our interest in watches can change over time. and the open mind was rewarded well in this case. also cheers to the missus!

good times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
Nice review.

Thanks.
Thanks
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 22 July 2019, 04:27 PM   #5
findingmisslodge
"TRF" Member

Watch: 2300V
Great review - makes me want to go out and try one on!
findingmisslodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 10:13 PM   #6
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by findingmisslodge View Post
Great review - makes me want to go out and try one on!
I believe you should.

Objectively for the money the SS is a tremendous value.
Old 22 July 2019, 10:32 PM   #7
Rolexoman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust II
I have been looking at the Omega Seamaster AT GMT for months and it’s a very unique looking piece in my eye.
Citizens Eco-Drive BL1258-53L Rolex DJII 116334, Tudor Heritage Black Bay 79230R Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra GMT 231.13.43.22.02.004 Ulysse Nardin Marine Torpilleur 1183.310/40 MAS Irukandji Vostok Komandirskie B&R BR0392-D-G-BR/SCA Vostok Komandirskie (Tank) South Bend Model 1 #716632 Vostok Amphibia (Sub)
Rolexoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2019, 02:51 AM   #8
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Have always like the Aqua Terra, a lot, but never pulled the trigger. Recently went with a friend as he acquired this watch, grey dial and blue strap - a beauty. I don't often see AT's in yellow gold, very distinctive. Hope you enjoy it.
Old 1 August 2019, 03:35 AM   #9
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack T View Post
Have always like the Aqua Terra, a lot, but never pulled the trigger. Recently went with a friend as he acquired this watch, grey dial and blue strap - a beauty. I don't often see AT's in yellow gold, very distinctive. Hope you enjoy it.
Thanks, yes the grey/blue was the one that first got me interested. I like that combo a lot.
Old 16 August 2019, 09:20 AM   #10
crab2008
"TRF" Member

Nice!
crab2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2021, 03:29 AM   #11
WatchLuxe
"TRF" Member

Great review, thank you!
WatchLuxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2021, 06:54 AM   #12
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Follow up to this review and two years later.

I find myself traveling again and brought this one with me. I had forgotten how much I enjoy this watch, having spent 2020 sitting at home.

This one is getting a lot of wrist time on this trip and I am very happy each time I see it in the sun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg F205F9CA-E7FE-4425-94A4-73B9919F8E06.jpeg (286.5 KB, 280 views)
Old 20 September 2021, 10:21 AM   #13
cajunron
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega Seamaster PO
That is a beauty. I have an Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean with the 8500 movement. It has been extremely precise and reliable. I would love to add a Aqua Terra to my collection. Congrats and wear in excellent health.