The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 6 October 2018, 12:10 AM   #1
nboyer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 2005 DateJust
Epilame / Fixodrop

Yep, you already know what I'm going to ask from the Subject line. Is it 100% necessary and is there a less expensive alternative?

Thus far, I've been putting just one bead of Moebius 941 on the exit pallet jewel on the pallet fork. I've read that any more may introduce low amplitude issues? But, alternatively, I've also read that this oil should be applied to every other tooth on the escape wheel. A lot of contradicting info out there. Someone please set me straight. . Cheers. -Norm
nboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2018, 01:26 AM   #2
SearChart
TechXpert

When you work with Rolex you have to lubricate according to Rolex documentation, in theory it is not mandatory, in reality it just works more convenient if fixodrop is used.

Applied pallet grease just sticks to the pallets and doesn't run away if fixodrop is used, this is particularly nice considering the relatively large amount of lubricant one has to apply on Rolex pallet forks.

I don't like minimal lubrication on the escapement, if this gets dry it just stops, minimal means quick returns, hence why Rolex tells you to lube a lot.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2018, 01:35 AM   #3
shofzr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 218235 BronzeWaves
SearChart is correct, Not possible to keep this amount of RL-2 in place without RL-0 (epilame).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Speedmaster 125
shofzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2018, 07:42 AM   #4
nboyer
"TRF" Member

Bas & Adrian...

Thank you both for your valuable input . This is what makes this forum so valuable, folks like you to help us amateurs improve our techinques. Epilame is quite pricey, I just order a similar product - Zenith Epi-kote. We'll see how that works out. If it doesn't, I'll just bite the bullet (like so many other things) and pick up some Epilame. Cheers! -Norm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
When you work with Rolex you have to lubricate according to Rolex documentation, in theory it is not mandatory, in reality it just works more convenient if fixodrop is used.

Applied pallet grease just sticks to the pallets and doesn't run away if fixodrop is used, this is particularly nice considering the relatively large amount of lubricant one has to apply on Rolex pallet forks.

I don't like minimal lubrication on the escapement, if this gets dry it just stops, minimal means quick returns, hence why Rolex tells you to lube a lot.
Old 6 October 2018, 11:05 AM   #5
ROLLiWORKS
"TRF" Member

+2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by shofzr View Post
SearChart is correct, Not possible to keep this amount of RL-2 in place without RL-0 (epilame).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ROLLiWORKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2018, 11:07 AM   #6
ROLLiWORKS
"TRF" Member

esslinger sells small bottles

https://www.esslinger.com/zenith-405...solution-30ml/

Quote:
Originally Posted by nboyer View Post
Thank you both for your valuable input . This is what makes this forum so valuable, folks like you to help us amateurs improve our techinques. Epilame is quite pricey, I just order a similar product - Zenith Epi-kote. We'll see how that works out. If it doesn't, I'll just bite the bullet (like so many other things) and pick up some Epilame. Cheers! -Norm
ROLLiWORKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2018, 11:10 AM   #7
nboyer
"TRF" Member

Thanks Michael. Yep, that's the one I ordered Cheers! -Norm
Old 7 October 2018, 06:50 AM   #8
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Fab photos !

Are the rubies used typically lab grown or cut from natural stones. Is there any impact on performance ? Or does it just boil down to cost / visual appeal ?

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2018, 06:55 AM   #9
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington View Post
Fab photos !

Are the rubies used typically lab grown or cut from natural stones. Is there any impact on performance ? Or does it just boil down to cost / visual appeal ?
Pretty much all rubies in watchmaking are synthetic.
Old 7 October 2018, 08:33 AM   #10
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Pretty much all rubies in watchmaking are synthetic.

Thanks ! Are there any manufacturers
which make a point of using natural, or is synthetic the gold standard regardless ?

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2018, 09:09 AM   #11
77T
2024 Pledge Member

For your viewing pleasure...

https://archive.org/details/JewelBearings

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 02:05 AM   #12
watchmaker
TechXpert

Synthetic rubies are used because they are perfect. Natural rubies are not, and that can cause inconsistent wear and affect longevity of the jewel or the pivot. You will find natural jewels (ruby,sapphire and diamonds) used in many old watches though. (Old old)
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 11:02 AM   #13
nboyer
"TRF" Member

Bas - Once the fixodrop is applied, do you have to run the watch with no oil on the pallet jewels first and then apply oil afterwards once the fixodrop has been rubbed on the pallet jewels? Or apply the fixodrop and then apply the oil? Cheers! -Norm

Quote:

Old 10 October 2018, 03:03 PM   #14
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Bas - Once the fixodrop is applied, do you have to run the watch with no oil on the pallet jewels first and then apply oil afterwards once the fixodrop has been rubbed on the pallet jewels? Or apply the fixodrop and then apply the oil? Cheers! -Norm
Dip it completely in fixodrop (together with escape wheel), let it dry off on a piece of paper.
Then let it run dry for about 30 minutes in the movement before applying the pallet grease (preferably RL2)
Old 10 October 2018, 10:34 PM   #15
nboyer
"TRF" Member

Thanks, Bas . I've heard others dip wheels of the autowinder and even end stones for the balance and escape wheels. Do you recommend this, the same 30min dry run for them too? Cheers! -Norm

Quote:
Dip it completely in fixodrop (together with escape wheel), let it dry off on a piece of paper.
Then let it run dry for about 30 minutes in the movement before applying the pallet grease (preferably RL2)
Old 11 October 2018, 01:09 AM   #16
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Thanks, Bas . I've heard others dip wheels of the autowinder and even end stones for the balance and escape wheels. Do you recommend this, the same 30min dry run for them too? Cheers! -Norm
Rolex tells you to do the reversers, I personally like to put the keyless setting mechanism in epilame as well, since MR4 is not super thick/greasy it tends to run a bit.

I never out end stones in epilame, it is not needed IMO.
Old 11 October 2018, 04:54 AM   #17
nboyer
"TRF" Member

Thanks Bas!

Quote:
Rolex tells you to do the reversers, I personally like to put the keyless setting mechanism in epilame as well, since MR4 is not super thick/greasy it tends to run a bit.

I never out end stones in epilame, it is not needed IMO.