The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 13 October 2018, 06:55 AM   #1
WaxedElvis
"TRF" Member

I'm liking blue for some reason....

Very different watches I know, but both of these have piqued my interest of late. Love blue dials and looking for something a bit less common. No AD anywhere near me so I can't see either in person. I know the Blancpain is a limited edition so might be hard to find - the standard/regular is too big for sure. I've seen more pictures of the VC, even had a dealer send me size comparison shot to an Omega SMP, the largest watch I have and the limit of what fits.

- I'm concerned the VC may be too big. Based on measurements, the Blancpain should be acceptable.

- Based on research I know resale isn't great on either, that is less of a concern as I'm a wearer not a flipper, but thoughts welcome on that too.

- Have all bases covered in my collection (diver/dressy sport etc.) so it's just something different to wear - nothing more - no specific purpose in the collection.

I do think the VC would be more versatile - plus comes with bracelet and 2 additionally straps. With that noted, could the Blancpain on a different strap than sail cloth or NATO - it comes with both. Leather maybe - a little less casual?

Any experience with these watches/brands appreciated - or thoughts in general - I'm just thinking.......
WaxedElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2018, 07:21 AM   #2
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
Two good looking watches imo and cannot go wrong with either. That’s unfortunate you do not have a local AD to see them in person prior to deciding.. maybe a grey dealer somewhere nearby?
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2018, 10:04 AM   #3
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

I can’t speak to the VC.

But, I have the BP milspec (the same case, movement, bezel as the Ocean commitment iii you have pictured). I can’t say enough good things about it. In terms of quality and finishing, it’s on another level, ahead of my sub. In terms of sizing, it definitely wears smaller than a sub (wears more like a 39mm). Discrete date window. Long power reserve. I love it.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2018, 03:48 PM   #4
Burlington
"TRF" Member

The VC Overseas is a lovely watch, as you can see it fits well on a smaller wrist.

VC are also a manufacture with a huge amount of history behind them, but amongst the ‘holy trinity’ are the least well established compared to PP & AP.

Quality is top notch, there is also a clever notch underneath on the spring bars to make them easy open, to swap straps. Works a bit like a door bolt.

If you’re after something much less well known than Patek or AP, but still punches hard in the haute horology stakes then VC is an excellent choice, but have you also considered an AP 15450 too ?

VC won’t retain its value as well as other makers but maybe that opens the door to pre-owned acquisitions for you too if an option.

I haven’t tried on the blancpain so cant comment but it’s also a good looking watch so you can’t go wrong.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2018, 04:16 PM   #5
EdwardC
2024 Pledge Member

Another vote for the VC. I have the chrono in blue and the dial is one of the best for a sports watch. The bracelet is also the most comfortable I have ever experienced, even compare with the oyster bracelet from Rolex.
EdwardC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2018, 01:31 AM   #6
lerking
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardC View Post
Another vote for the VC. I have the chrono in blue and the dial is one of the best for a sports watch. The bracelet is also the most comfortable I have ever experienced, even compare with the oyster bracelet from Rolex.

Which one out of interest? The VC chrono with date window at 12 o’clock or the latest one with the date at 4 o’clock... have to say I saw the latter at AD ( with blue dial) and it took my breath away...absolutely stunning....but sadly so did the price...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 12:12 AM   #7
WaxedElvis
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the input, especially regarding size. Just no way to try them on. Much appreciated..........decisions.....decisions......
Old 20 October 2018, 02:58 PM   #8
GalaxyGuy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: JLC Duometre
I have a Blancpain 5015 with the blue dial and it is simply fantastic.

This is not the greatest shot, but it maybe gives you an idea.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20181006_115550_433.jpg (133.1 KB, 171 views)
Old 21 October 2018, 12:35 PM   #9
WaxedElvis
"TRF" Member

Beautiful - thanks for posting.