The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 5 October 2018, 06:36 AM   #1
Farris
"TRF" Member

Lange and Sohne - Trade Pricing and Achievable Discounts for High End Models

Hi All,

I am interested in the Datograph Perpetual or the Rattrapante Perpetual Calendar. I have noticed secondhand prices are substantially less than retail and wanted to understand from those in the know:

1) what are trade prices like? Is there enormous margin?
2) do prices continue to depreciate or do they level out at around 50% of MSRP?
3) if resale is important and assuming I get a purchase price a little over trade, is it a mistake buying one of these?

Thank you!
Farris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2018, 09:45 AM   #2
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Good questions to ask for ALS as they all fall big time. If you can pay -30/-35 I’d guess you drop another 25 if trading it. Maybe -18 if you sell yourself. It could be worse on that price point. I’ve dealt with a few flips of these and it’s painful.
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2018, 11:19 AM   #3
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Good questions, in which I'm also interested, as I'm in the market for my first ALS (not grand comp, however).

So it's possible to get 30-35% off buying new? I was aware there were good discounts to be had, but not that good.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2018, 12:37 PM   #4
Justindo
"TRF" Member

Langes do indeed take a hit but I'm not sure 50% is accurate. They are magnificent timepieces and offer far, far better finishing than anything in their price range (or triple if you're looking at Patek), in my opinion. Discounts on new watches vary by watch (the more expensive, the greater the % discount, usually) and by dealer, but 30-35% is not unheard of. Regardless, once you get a Lange, I doubt you'd want to part with it, unless you realize that you're not a dress watch person. Their annual volume is less than 10% of Patek's and that's very apparent when you look at movement finishing. One great thing about Lange is that their finishing is consistent among all models, regardless of price, unlike Patek where even their grand complications are lacking considering their proud pricing, and this is coming from someone who owns several models of both brands.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2018, 06:38 PM   #5
conkers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
No single answer here as it depends on the watch and the dealer. 30 per cent should be achievable on the very high end pieces and depending on what model and how limited it is you may be able to get out fairly unscathed. For example I just sold my Dato Perpetual Tourbillon which I owned from new and lost nothing. If you are thinking of the regular Dato Perpetual buy used and negotiate hard!
Old 15 October 2018, 04:13 AM   #6
Farris
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conkers View Post
No single answer here as it depends on the watch and the dealer. 30 per cent should be achievable on the very high end pieces and depending on what model and how limited it is you may be able to get out fairly unscathed. For example I just sold my Dato Perpetual Tourbillon which I owned from new and lost nothing. If you are thinking of the regular Dato Perpetual buy used and negotiate hard!
By “hard” what kind of percentage are we talking about? What would you consider a good price for a rose gold dato Perpetual in “like new” condition”?

I am thinking of saying goodbye to my Patek 5980R-001 on croc strap and paying a bit on top.

I have looked and my Patek is on Chrono24 with the lowest price being £50k. I have seen the Datograph Perpetual ALS for £60k (2012) and £70k (2017).

If I can get anywhere close to a swap I would be super tempted.
Old 15 October 2018, 04:53 AM   #7
Farris
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justindo View Post
Langes do indeed take a hit but I'm not sure 50% is accurate. They are magnificent timepieces and offer far, far better finishing than anything in their price range (or triple if you're looking at Patek), in my opinion. Discounts on new watches vary by watch (the more expensive, the greater the % discount, usually) and by dealer, but 30-35% is not unheard of. Regardless, once you get a Lange, I doubt you'd want to part with it, unless you realize that you're not a dress watch person. Their annual volume is less than 10% of Patek's and that's very apparent when you look at movement finishing. One great thing about Lange is that their finishing is consistent among all models, regardless of price, unlike Patek where even their grand complications are lacking considering their proud pricing, and this is coming from someone who owns several models of both brands.
Is it possible to get 35% direct from a Lange dealer or only through a grey dealer? If so and I could get the VAT back, that would be close to 50% and be a very tempting proposition.
Old 15 October 2018, 10:38 AM   #8
conkers
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farris View Post
Is it possible to get 35% direct from a Lange dealer or only through a grey dealer? If so and I could get the VAT back, that would be close to 50% and be a very tempting proposition.
That sounds too ambitious via an AD unless it is a close out. Re your earlier post those prices on DP sound ok but not spectacular. You should be able to get the platinum version for USD75k.
Old 15 October 2018, 12:11 PM   #9
Justindo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That's certainly possible in the US but I don't know about the rest of the world.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 01:04 PM   #10
agentmeister5
"TRF" Member

Do the Lange boutiques discount as well?
agentmeister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 10:31 PM   #11
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
You would not want to part with a Lange. Finishing is top notch--makes Patek backsides look like school projects. Boutiques won't give you a discount, but if you head to EU, you'll get a price break as you won't pay VAT.
Old 16 October 2018, 12:30 AM   #12
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

Like Roger said, depends on model and AD (but also how you negotiate). I got my entry level Saxonia for 25% off from an AD with high foot traffic. Another member here went 2 weeks later to buy the same model and only got 10%.

I generally do not advocate buying any Lange from an AD as they’re quite easy to find for 50% off from the grey. Even the base Dato in plat/black trades for $50k and sits for a while.
Vaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 07:41 PM   #13
Farris
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman View Post
You would not want to part with a Lange. Finishing is top notch--makes Patek backsides look like school projects. Boutiques won't give you a discount, but if you head to EU, you'll get a price break as you won't pay VAT.
That is why I am seeing what can be had from an authorised desert. As with grey dealers there tends to be no tax back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by conkers View Post
That sounds too ambitious via an AD unless it is a close out. Re your earlier post those prices on DP sound ok but not spectacular. You should be able to get the platinum version for USD75k.
What would you consider a great deal for the rose gold and for the platinum? Is the platinum more desirable?

Thank you for the help.
Old 17 October 2018, 05:17 AM   #14
Farris
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaxe View Post
Like Roger said, depends on model and AD (but also how you negotiate). I got my entry level Saxonia for 25% off from an AD with high foot traffic. Another member here went 2 weeks later to buy the same model and only got 10%.

I generally do not advocate buying any Lange from an AD as they’re quite easy to find for 50% off from the grey. Even the base Dato in plat/black trades for $50k and sits for a while.
50% off for a new one from a grey dealer? Wow!
Any grey dealers you recommend?
Old 17 October 2018, 11:31 AM   #15
conkers
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That is why I am seeing what can be had from an authorised desert. As with grey dealers there tends to be no tax back.

What would you consider a great deal for the rose gold and for the platinum? Is the platinum more desirable?

Thank you for the help.
If I remember correctly I paid around USD75k for my pt DP. There are quite a few around so maybe low 70s is possible. RG ones tend to be priced a little higher since they are newer. The pt model was discontinued several years ago.
Old 17 October 2018, 01:44 PM   #16
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

I meant 50% for used from greys
Seen a couple used pt base Dato w/ deployant here for $50-55k
Quote:
50% off for a new one from a grey dealer? Wow!
Any grey dealers you recommend?
Vaxe is offline   Reply With Quote