The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 30 September 2018, 02:02 PM   #1
Roleston
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust 116200
6-Minute Date Change on New Datejust

Hi,

I've recently purchased a new Datejust 116200 from an authorised dealer. The date change is occurring a little after 6-minutes past midnight, is this acceptable? It's my first model with a date feature, so I'm only curious- it's not something that bothers me, long as it's within the expectations of the model.

Thanks!
Roleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2018, 02:38 PM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
While some of us may like it to change closer, 6 minutes is fine.

The mechanism changes every 24 hours, but when we see it visibly change is a function of where the watchmaker installs the hands. It's hard to put them on when the date is changing, or know that exact instant, so they are always off a bit.
Old 30 September 2018, 03:07 PM   #3
ROLLiWORKS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
While some of us may like it to change closer, 6 minutes is fine.

The mechanism changes every 24 hours, but when we see it visibly change is a function of where the watchmaker installs the hands. It's hard to put them on when the date is changing, or know that exact instant, so they are always off a bit.

No not that difficult. 6 mins is quite a bit. I’ve always felt date change early 11:58 -12:00 is better than after midnight.

All work done in the good ol’ U.S. of A.
ROLLiWORKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2018, 06:36 PM   #4
Roleston
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust 116200
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLLiWORKS View Post
No not that difficult. 6 mins is quite a bit. I’ve always felt date change early 11:58 -12:00 is better than after midnight.

Were it your watch, having just purchased for full-retail, would you be asking for the date change to be pulled-back?

I think it would only bother me if it started taking longer than the 6-minutes, but if it's likely to remain as it is I could live with it (I could work more on not being awake at midnight, for a start!)

Thanks!
Roleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2018, 04:37 AM   #5
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
I had an Omega DAY-DATE once that changed 37 minutes after midnight. Sad. Plus it was overall a very troublesome watch. Glad to have gotten rid of it.

My antique OP Date changes about two minutes after midnight. If it were six minutes I would not care. Beyond ten minutes I think would begin to bug me. Maybe.
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2018, 04:42 AM   #6
SG56
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD4K
I couldn't even tell you when mine changes. Not a deal breaker for me.
Yacht-Master 268622 - the chick version
Speedy Mitsukoshi <3
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAF141C.BA0824 - the chick version

Thank you logan5tx!!! Have to link it. Too long for the signature.
https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost...0&postcount=14
SG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2018, 04:52 AM   #7
ROLLiWORKS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roleston View Post
Were it your watch, having just purchased for full-retail, would you be asking for the date change to be pulled-back?

I think it would only bother me if it started taking longer than the 6-minutes, but if it's likely to remain as it is I could live with it (I could work more on not being awake at midnight, for a start!)

Thanks!

Yes it will stay the same. If it doesnt bother you then its a non issue. Basically hands need to be removed and pressed at your next (1st) service. My understanding is the hands are pressed via a cnc press. Curious why its that far off.

Old 1 October 2018, 02:25 PM   #8
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Curious why its that far off.
6 minutes late out of 1440 minutes in a day is only 0.004% deviation. Sure, it can always be timed better but four thousandths is a pretty small number in the big picture.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2018, 02:26 PM   #9
ROLLiWORKS
"TRF" Member

Its not a timing issue. Hands are pressed 6 mins off from midnight

Old 1 October 2018, 08:36 PM   #10
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
The date change is purely mechanical process and not electronic, as long as date changes by next morning and you can see its changed you have no problem.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2018, 09:51 PM   #11
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Its not a timing issue. Hands are pressed 6 mins off from midnight
Right, so wouldn't hands being pressed at the wrong time be a timing issue? Parts aren't timed correctly. Semantics?

Hands can be pressed on at the 00:00 position after the movement has run for six minutes traveling down the assembly line. That could certainly happen in production if everything is as automated as we suspect. I'd still call that a timing issue, personally. And, I'd still consider it only 0.004% off even though you and I both know a watchmaker can get it closer.
Old 2 October 2018, 04:23 AM   #12
1WatchDawg
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610T Sub Date
Don't worry about it, my Sub 16610 changes dates at 6 minutes after and no problems and I've had it for years.
1WatchDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2018, 05:37 AM   #13
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
Right, so wouldn't hands being pressed at the wrong time be a timing issue? Parts aren't timed correctly. Semantics?

. . .
Nope, timing isn't affected at all - it will precisely change date exactly 24 hrs apart, each time. Even with no hands timing will remain constant.

The hands are not being pressed on "at the wrong time", rather, they are pressed on at an imprecise location, although, they will always visibly portray a correct "time".
Old 2 October 2018, 05:51 AM   #14
andrewjb88
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16302 Rolex OP
My Rolex Datejust, Tudor BB GMT and Omega Seamaster all change between 0005-0015.
Luch one hand
andrewjb88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2018, 05:51 AM   #15
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

6 Minutes isn't a lot. But, I can say that when I press hands on watches I've done, I get a lot closer. With Rolex having an instant date change, it's easy to get it almost perfect.

I usually find midnight without the hands on. Then lightly put the minute hand on. Then precisely find where it "clicks." Then remove the minute hand and then install all hands. Then check. This method easily nets a +/- 1 minute deviation at the most. I then go around a few times to see if it consistently changes in the same place.
Valenciawatchrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2018, 05:55 AM   #16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Nope, timing isn't affected at all - it will precisely change date exactly 24 hrs apart, each time. Even with no hands timing will remain constant.

The hands are not being pressed on "at the wrong time", rather, they are pressed on at an imprecise location, although, they will always visibly portray a correct "time".
I'm not saying the movement timing is altered in any way, only that the hands were installed at 00:00 after the movement has advanced 6 minutes beyond the precise moment the cam advances the date wheel. To me that's "at the wrong time" since "the right time" was 6 minutes prior. Perhaps 'timing' isn't the correct word choice here? "Imprecise location" and "timing of hands" seems like semantics though.
Old 2 October 2018, 05:57 AM   #17
ROLLiWORKS
"TRF" Member

Ahhh yes, timing of the assembly line. I would assume escapement side first, from there the date wheel in the perfect position before date change allowing enough time for all the dial side components to go on. Even if for some reason (stoppage in the assembly line perhaps) timing was off, should this have been corrected during QC? I assume the Rolex factory QCs every watch? Not sure but I would hope so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post

Hands can be pressed on at the 00:00 position after the movement has run for six minutes traveling down the assembly line. That could certainly happen in production if everything is as automated as we suspect. I'd still call that a timing issue, personally. And, I'd still consider it only 0.004% off even though you and I both know a watchmaker can get it closer.
Old 2 October 2018, 05:58 AM   #18
ROLLiWORKS
"TRF" Member

037 was referring to timing of the assembly line
Old 2 October 2018, 10:04 AM   #19
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

Quote:
Ahhh yes, timing of the assembly line. I would assume escapement side first, from there the date wheel in the perfect position before date change allowing enough time for all the dial side components to go on. Even if for some reason (stoppage in the assembly line perhaps) timing was off, should this have been corrected during QC? I assume the Rolex factory QCs every watch? Not sure but I would hope so.
I would think in an assembly line setting the stem would be pulled out to the setting position, thereby stopping the watch. So, the time passing between stations would really be irrelevant.
Valenciawatchrepair is offline   Reply With Quote