The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 December 2021, 10:06 PM   #1
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Five Years of Platinum

I realized that a few days ago, I missed the five year anniversary of getting my platinum Daytona. So here goes:

A quick recap of what led me to it --

After wearing a two-tone Datejust from 1984 or 1985 until 2016, my wife suggested maybe I would like a second watch. She had been wearing an Ebel since 1989 and had just inherited her mom's gold Date. So in the spring of 2016 I went into the local AD, which was walking distance to the house but I'd never stepped foot in. I had heard about the new SS Daytonas, but looked at everything in their filled cases. Anyway, I fell for the SS Daytona, got on the list and gave a 50% deposit. 2016 was unfortunately the year that I lost three friends -- one to massive heart attack at 50, another to stroke (early 60s) and a third to cancer (70s). Ugh. Anyway, I became singularly focused on getting this beautiful white Daytona. By the end of the year, I had gotten tired of waiting, was reminded that life can change quickly, fell for the platinum version, and bought a slightly used one from DSW.

I will say that my M.O. in life is that I don't make impulsive decisions, but I also seldom regret them. This, like my first Rolex 35 years before, definitely didn't let me down. I wore it every day, and still do. While I still own the DJ, I never wear it anymore. I never strap this watch on and wish it were something different. Yes, I've fallen for a few other watches, like the Patek 5170P, but this is the perfect everyday watch for me. It's under-the-radar, feels noticeably heavy when you put it on or think about it, but is very comfortable and wearable. The only time it's off my wrist is when I'm exercising or maybe moving furniture or whatever. Right now, it hasn't been wound or set for 5 1/2 months and is correct down to the second. That may not be the most important aspect of a watch, but it is amazing!

Rather than post pictures of the watch in cool places, or in front of an expensive steering wheel , I thought I'd attach a few pictures taken a couple of days ago to show the wear and tear after five years of actually wearing and enjoying a Rolex, rather than leaving it in a safety deposit box and bringing it on special occasions.

That's my story. Or at least my watch's story.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2443.JPG (187.9 KB, 2028 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2441.JPG (219.8 KB, 2028 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2442.JPG (251.0 KB, 2024 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2444.JPG (242.7 KB, 2022 views)
Old 24 December 2021, 10:12 PM   #2
nollie85
Banned

Awesome mate.

Good to see your loving your watch as its meant to be.
nollie85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2021, 10:14 PM   #3
Goin2drt
Banned

My grail and very nice. I will say my WG Sub looked like that after two days not 5 years. Now not sure how often you wear that or what you do but man that platinum is either durable as heck or you do everything with your right hand and leave your left in your pocket.
Goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2021, 10:16 PM   #4
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2021, 10:16 PM   #5
arcampado
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
Great story and thank you for sharing! I’m glad to see that you’re wearing it daily and it’s getting the wrist time a beauty like that deserves. Continue to enjoy and cherish it and wear it in good health
arcampado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2021, 10:20 PM   #6
DLRIDES
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
Old 24 December 2021, 10:20 PM   #7
Jpccarguy
2024 Pledge Member

You have a great story, and maybe a lesson for us all. One never knows ‘for whom the bell tolls,’ and there’s no reason to delay gratification indefinitely, if you can swing it financially.

Another reason I read TRF. Congratulations and continue to wear it in good health. It’s an amazing reference!

Jpccarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2021, 10:29 PM   #8
geoffreyis
"TRF" Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
That’s what this hobby is about. Great story and great piece. Wear it in good health.
geoffreyis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2021, 10:37 PM   #9
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin2drt View Post
My grail and very nice. I will say my WG Sub looked like that after two days not 5 years. Now not sure how often you wear that or what you do but man that platinum is either durable as heck or you do everything with your right hand and leave your left in your pocket.
I wear it all day, every day, unless running, playing tennis, working out, swimming, etc. Maybe the pictures aren't clear enough, but it mainly looks good except for the clasp. I noticed hairline scratches after a day or two of careful ownership and it set me free. There's just no way to keep it looking brand new, so might as well enjoy it.

I will say that if I'm in a crowded Costco or whatever, I will be careful with my wrist, but for the most part don't think too much about "protecting" it.
Old 24 December 2021, 11:10 PM   #10
roadie1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Divers, GMT
This my neighbors watch. He wears the heck out of it. I’m trying to land one myself with no luck as of yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
roadie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2021, 11:14 PM   #11
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadie1 View Post
This my neighbors watch. He wears the heck out of it. I’m trying to land one myself with no luck as of yet.
I didn't realize you were neighbors with Dr. Tom!
Old 24 December 2021, 11:20 PM   #12
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
It's refreshing to hear someone actually wears and enjoys there watch. Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful story this morning. Oh, and a lovely watch BTW.
Rolex 226570, Explorer II Club
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2021, 11:20 PM   #13
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Thank you for sharing your story with us. Also, I’m sorry to hear about your loss … a good reminder that life is indeed short.

Happy holidays to you and yours
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2021, 11:33 PM   #14
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Great story. Cheers to continued enjoyment!!
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2021, 12:04 AM   #15
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nollie85 View Post
Awesome mate.

Good to see your loving your watch as its meant to be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin2drt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcampado View Post
Great story and thank you for sharing! I’m glad to see that you’re wearing it daily and it’s getting the wrist time a beauty like that deserves. Continue to enjoy and cherish it and wear it in good health
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLRIDES View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpccarguy View Post
You have a great story, and maybe a lesson for us all. One never knows ‘for whom the bell tolls,’ and there’s no reason to delay gratification indefinitely, if you can swing it financially.

Another reason I read TRF. Congratulations and continue to wear it in good health. It’s an amazing reference!

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffreyis View Post
That’s what this hobby is about. Great story and great piece. Wear it in good health.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ2020 View Post
It's refreshing to hear someone actually wears and enjoys there watch. Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful story this morning. Oh, and a lovely watch BTW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Thank you for sharing your story with us. Also, I’m sorry to hear about your loss … a good reminder that life is indeed short.

Happy holidays to you and yours
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pw92676 View Post
Great story. Cheers to continued enjoyment!!
Thank you all. It is way more fun to enjoy wearing a watch than to just get pleasure by knowing you own it.
Old 25 December 2021, 12:05 AM   #16
illiguy

Incredible. I remember dropping into the Boutique on Michigan Ave in 2016. That watch could be had at a discount. Wear in good health!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
I realized that a few days ago, I missed the five year anniversary of getting my platinum Daytona. So here goes:

A quick recap of what led me to it --

After wearing a two-tone Datejust from 1984 or 1985 until 2016, my wife suggested maybe I would like a second watch. She had been wearing an Ebel since 1989 and had just inherited her mom's gold Date. So in the spring of 2016 I went into the local AD, which was walking distance to the house but I'd never stepped foot in. I had heard about the new SS Daytonas, but looked at everything in their filled cases. Anyway, I fell for the SS Daytona, got on the list and gave a 50% deposit. 2016 was unfortunately the year that I lost three friends -- one to massive heart attack at 50, another to stroke (early 60s) and a third to cancer (70s). Ugh. Anyway, I became singularly focused on getting this beautiful white Daytona. By the end of the year, I had gotten tired of waiting, was reminded that life can change quickly, fell for the platinum version, and bought a slightly used one from DSW.

I will say that my M.O. in life is that I don't make impulsive decisions, but I also seldom regret them. This, like my first Rolex 35 years before, definitely didn't let me down. I wore it every day, and still do. While I still own the DJ, I never wear it anymore. I never strap this watch on and wish it were something different. Yes, I've fallen for a few other watches, like the Patek 5170P, but this is the perfect everyday watch for me. It's under-the-radar, feels noticeably heavy when you put it on or think about it, but is very comfortable and wearable. The only time it's off my wrist is when I'm exercising or maybe moving furniture or whatever. Right now, it hasn't been wound or set for 5 1/2 months and is correct down to the second. That may not be the most important aspect of a watch, but it is amazing!

Rather than post pictures of the watch in cool places, or in front of an expensive steering wheel , I thought I'd attach a few pictures taken a couple of days ago to show the wear and tear after five years of actually wearing and enjoying a Rolex, rather than leaving it in a safety deposit box and bringing it on special occasions.

That's my story. Or at least my watch's story.
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2021, 12:19 AM   #17
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Thanks for sharing. Continue enjoying it everyday.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2021, 12:25 AM   #18
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

So refreshing to see posts like this on TRF again! Thanks for sharing and glad you are enjoying the platona. All rolex watches are tanks and meant to be worn!
Old 25 December 2021, 12:26 AM   #19
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Come on man, be honest, if you were allowed to cheat with 2 other watches, who else would make the list to grace your wrist? Hehe.

Also OP, do you think the other ChiBoys in other multiverses would have made the same decision? Or in the universe where Chiboy got the SS Daytona instead of the deposit back, would that Chiboy have still splurged on a Platona in 2021?
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2021, 12:29 AM   #20
jitdc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520
Awesome story and fantastic watch. It’s awesome to see folks use them and not store them away. Thank you for sharing the pictures as well!

jitdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2021, 12:41 AM   #21
stevestil
"TRF" Member

Great write up. First time I’ve seen someone describe a platinum Daytona as under the radar though lol. Looks great!

stevestil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2021, 01:02 AM   #22
Brucehbrown
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD 126660,116506
Congrats CHIBOY

Daily wear. My plan as well. AC7B70AB-993F-4E1C-8446-6546DB8F38E8.jpeg
Brucehbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2021, 01:27 AM   #23
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Great to see another PtD. Great to see you wearing it well. Merry Christmas my friend! Mines on today.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2021, 01:28 AM   #24
Trek360
"TRF" Member

Great story and timepiece!
Trek360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2021, 02:02 AM   #25
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by illiguy View Post
Incredible. I remember dropping into the Boutique on Michigan Ave in 2016. That watch could be had at a discount. Wear in good health!
Yeah, back then the two local ADs I talked to both were offering discounts, although nothing like DSW "used watch" prices. Times have changed, surprisingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb View Post
Thanks for sharing. Continue enjoying it everyday.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG1121 View Post
So refreshing to see posts like this on TRF again! Thanks for sharing and glad you are enjoying the platona. All rolex watches are tanks and meant to be worn!
Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
Come on man, be honest, if you were allowed to cheat with 2 other watches, who else would make the list to grace your wrist? Hehe.

Also OP, do you think the other ChiBoys in other multiverses would have made the same decision? Or in the universe where Chiboy got the SS Daytona instead of the deposit back, would that Chiboy have still splurged on a Platona in 2021?
Well, I do love the Patek 5170P, but probably wouldn't be good daily. I also have thought an Aquanaut on rubber would be a cool, casual watch.

If I could have gotten the white Daytona, I never would have considered the platinum one I'm pretty sure. If I had to choose a Daytona in the current gray market price environment, I imagine I would pass. As much as I love my watch, and still love the SS ceramic Daytonas, I wouldn't love them at current prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitdc View Post
Awesome story and fantastic watch. It’s awesome to see folks use them and not store them away. Thank you for sharing the pictures as well!
Thanks. It's too bad that someone on a watch forum who actually wears and enjoys his watch is noteworthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestil View Post
Great write up. First time I’ve seen someone describe a platinum Daytona as under the radar though lol. Looks great!
Ha! I've had very few acknowledge my watch, and it's only in ADs (which I haven't stepped foot in for 2 1/2 years) that anyone seemed to know it was platinum. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucehbrown View Post
Daily wear. My plan as well. Attachment 1262793
Great plan! Love your version too. Very elegant, yet subtle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
Great to see another PtD. Great to see you wearing it well. Merry Christmas my friend! Mines on today.

I know you swim with yours, so good for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek360 View Post
Great story and timepiece!
Thanks.
Old 25 December 2021, 02:14 AM   #26
Jack F
"TRF" Member

Great story. Glad to see the watch being enjoyed. Patina is great.
Jack F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2021, 03:10 AM   #27
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Kudos, I hope you enjoy it for MANY MANY years to come!
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2021, 03:27 AM   #28
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Very nice, hope you keep enjoying it in hood health!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.480.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2021, 04:28 AM   #29
dcash0615
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es
Great post. Thanks for sharing. Your platona looks great for 5 years of continual wear. Enjoy

2FA security active
dcash0615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2021, 06:14 AM   #30
Bladeshot

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
As it should be! Worn daily or as much as possible! Well done.