The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 15 December 2012, 11:50 PM   #1
Mephist
"TRF" Member

Omega Speedmaster "moonwach"

I have been thinking of buying the 3570.50.00 or 3573.50.00 but then I noticed it said they where NOT self winding. Is it possible to get a version of these watches that are self winding?
Old 16 December 2012, 12:10 AM   #2
jmsrolls
Banned

There are automatic Speedmasters but they are not "moon watches". All "moon watches" are manual hand wind.
jmsrolls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2012, 02:04 AM   #3
Mephist
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsrolls View Post
There are automatic Speedmasters but they are not "moon watches". All "moon watches" are manual hand wind.
Yes I know, but the other speedmasters got different size, dial, hands or bracelet. Many of them also look great, but I like the simplicity of the "moon watch" and the size fits me perfect.

I can see why Omega want to keep the 3570 true to the original. But the 3573 comes with both sapphire crystal and sapphire case back, so it is already a modern version, why not just make it self winding as well?

Anyone else that also want the "moonwatch" but keep from buying because it is not self winding?

I hope they one day announce a self winding version. I think it would be a success.
Old 16 December 2012, 02:28 AM   #4
jmsrolls
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephist View Post

I hope they one day announce a self winding version. I think it would be a success.
It still would not be a "moon watch".

Early on, I wondered why the fascination with a hand wound watch, with no date, and with a "plastic" crystal.

At the urging of others, I purchased a pre-owned Speedy Pro and after a week or so, I was hooked. Over the years, I have owned a couple of dozen Speedmaster Professionals in various forms. My current Speedy Pro is a 47-year old 105.012 as worn by Armstrong and other moon walkers. At my death, it will go to my grandson who even today understands the significance of his granddad's watch.

No other watch has its history and mystery.

Taking a moment to wind my Speedy Pro is a time for me to reflect upon the achievement and courage of the Apollo astronauts.
jmsrolls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2012, 03:07 AM   #5
skyliner23
"TRF" Member

Go for the moonwatch....u will not regret it...but if u really have the budget then go for the speed master co-axial ....but this fellow wears big and is auto.
skyliner23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2012, 03:20 AM   #6
beaglehusky
"TRF" Member

Check out the 311.30.44.32.01.001. I think it's a very unique piece (although still manual wound).

Happy hunting!
beaglehusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2012, 03:20 AM   #7
beaglehusky
"TRF" Member

Check out the 311.30.44.32.01.001. I think it's a very unique piece (although still manual wound).

Happy hunting!
beaglehusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2012, 03:28 AM   #8
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

There are auto variants, but they are in a bigger case size (44.25mm as opposed to the 42mm of the regular Moonwatch). You can get one with the cal. 3313 or the cal. 9300 - the 9300 would be my choice, but it's pretty much double the price of the standard Moonwatch
The GMT Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2012, 04:23 AM   #9
Mephist
"TRF" Member

I got very small wrists and usually use 36mm watches and up to 40mm watches. I think larger watches then that most often do not look good on me. So the 42mm is a stretch for me, because I really like the look of the "moonwatch". But 44mm is a little over the top for my wrists in my opinion.

Also manual wound is not an option for me. I have tried it before and I just keep forgetting to wind it.

I am considering the 3220.50.00 Day-date instead of the "moonwatch".

I have also looked at the ladie's collection. Those speedmasters got the perfect size for me, but I do not like the look of the ladies speedmasters too much, and I am not sure how I feel about buying a ladie's watch

Thanks for the responses anyway.

Old 16 December 2012, 06:49 AM   #10
storm66
"TRF" Member

Moonwatch

You won't forget to wind up a 'MoonWatch'.....it will be the first thing you will look at in the morning.......
Go for it...
storm66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2012, 09:19 AM   #11
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I got very small wrists and usually use 36mm watches and up to 40mm watches. I think larger watches then that most often do not look good on me. So the 42mm is a stretch for me, because I really like the look of the "moonwatch". But 44mm is a little over the top for my wrists in my opinion.

Also manual wound is not an option for me. I have tried it before and I just keep forgetting to wind it.

I have also looked at the ladie's collection. Those speedmasters got the perfect size for me, but I do not like the look of the ladies speedmasters too much, and I am not sure how I feel about buying a ladie's watch

The Day-Date or Speedmaster Date would be a good option - check out Bill's (Colnago) panda dial Speedmaster Date, that's an excellent value watch, looks sharp, and is in a 40mm case
The GMT Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2012, 09:30 AM   #12
Le Chef
"TRF" Member

I don't understand the appeal of an automatic winding Speedmaster - what's so hard about hand winding a watch? It also gives you a much more tactile pleasure winding it. It's like stick shift and what could be more fun than that?
Le Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2012, 09:30 AM   #13
Kringkily
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster, Rolex
Ever try checking out the 3510 or 3539?
Kringkily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2012, 10:57 AM   #14
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Chef View Post
I don't understand the appeal of an automatic winding Speedmaster - what's so hard about hand winding a watch? It also gives you a much more tactile pleasure winding it. It's like stick shift and what could be more fun than that?
I have a Speedy and it is a pain to wind. Small crown that is hard to get a hold of. I hate winding this particular puppy.

Why not look at the:

Omega Speedmaster Co-Axial Chronograph Automatic 44mm Sapphire Sandwich.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2012, 10:59 AM   #15
Perdu
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Forget to wind it! My God man, you'll be looking at it every 10 minutes.

Benson 1937 Sterling Silver Hunter
Perdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2012, 01:06 AM   #16
xslyyx
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116610 LV
Go with the new speedy 9300...

The best that money can get :D

Skickat från min GT-I9300 via Tapatalk 2
xslyyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2012, 11:03 AM   #17
JP Chestnut
Banned

Watch: Rolex Ref 16600
Quote:

Omega has sold a 38mm (IIRC) automatic version of the Speedmaster. It went by the name "Speedmaster Reduced". This watch looks extremely similar to "Moonwatch". You would probably need to look at them side by side to determine the differences. You can pick one up used for < $2,000 all day long. It might be just what you're looking for.
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2012, 01:22 PM   #18
MikeyP
"TRF" Member

I actually prefer the manual wind. It's nice being able to keep a watch going by winding it 10 seconds every morning than having to worry about automatic watches and putting them in a winder...
MikeyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2012, 03:07 PM   #19
Boardman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Omega, IWC
Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
I have a Speedy and it is a pain to wind. Small crown that is hard to get a hold of. I hate winding this particular puppy.

Why not look at the:

Omega Speedmaster Co-Axial Chronograph Automatic 44mm Sapphire Sandwich.
I'm with ya..it's not the popular vote....but as much as I love speedies I keep flipping them because I hate winding that small crown. I had an auto too and I flipped it. I guess I just prefer the larger crowns.
Boardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2012, 01:35 AM   #20
SLRdude
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Anyone else that also want the "moonwatch" but keep from buying because it is not self winding?

No and No.
Member # 87
SLRdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2012, 01:37 AM   #21
vintagewaferthin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air-King 5500
Get an automatic speedmaster reduced. Those are in a 38mm case.
vintagewaferthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2012, 01:38 AM   #22
Kringkily
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster, Rolex
the handwinding isn't so bad...if you just wind it for like 15-20 when you first put it on that's it. I also love the 3572.50 or sapphire variant with the 1863 movement and since it is manual wind you don't have a rotor blocking the view.
Kringkily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2012, 01:30 PM   #23
jshepard
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTII
If you had to have auto then go for it but in my opinion you would lose the history along with it, there's a reason for the manual wind and plastic crystal. It adds to the conversation factor to the watch...

I had the same thought before I bought my moon watch, "I might forget to wind" or "I'll get tired of winding every other day" but I don't forget and it feels like "I make this watch run" it's like feeding your dog LOL you become attached to it. I've enjoyed the winding process so much that I'm thinking of going manual if I ever buy that darn jlc reverso I can't seem to stop Googling.
jshepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2012, 04:44 AM   #24
tifosi
"TRF" Member

Go with the handwound! It is nice to interact with the watch on an almost daily basis.
Old 29 December 2012, 08:04 AM   #25
SohAIS
⭐⭐⭐⭐
2024 DATEJUST41 Sponsor & Boutique Seller

Watch: Patek, Rolex
What is a good price for a 2012 3570.50.00 complete with boxes and papers Speedy in good condition.

2FA security active
SohAIS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2012, 10:14 AM   #26
Stuff99
"TRF" Member

I was offered $3600 tax in for the 2012 moonwatch. I bought mine two years ago for $3100 tax in.
Stuff99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2013, 09:08 AM   #27
T5AUS
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the time go by
X2 with my 68 pre moon

I had the same concerns when I got my first Speedie, no date and manual wind, my god, how can we live like this....but it was very easy, not once have I forgotten to wind it, it's a class act that takes some beating

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsrolls View Post
It still would not be a "moon watch".

Early on, I wondered why the fascination with a hand wound watch, with no date, and with a "plastic" crystal.

At the urging of others, I purchased a pre-owned Speedy Pro and after a week or so, I was hooked. Over the years, I have owned a couple of dozen Speedmaster Professionals in various forms. My current Speedy Pro is a 47-year old 105.012 as worn by Armstrong and other moon walkers. At my death, it will go to my grandson who even today understands the significance of his granddad's watch.

No other watch has its history and mystery.

Taking a moment to wind my Speedy Pro is a time for me to reflect upon the achievement and courage of the Apollo astronauts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (244.9 KB, 457 views)
Old 1 January 2013, 02:15 PM   #28
SUBversive
Banned

Watch: Sun Dial
Quote:
Originally Posted by T5AUS View Post
I had the same concerns when I got my first Speedie, no date and manual wind, my god, how can we live like this....but it was very easy, not once have I forgotten to wind it, it's a class act that takes some beating
It's pretty much no problem to wind. But I've waken up in he middle of the night a few tines and it stopped. And that sucks.

SUBversive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2013, 12:04 AM   #29
DRAGUI99
"TRF" Member

If you want to compare :

Speedmaster Pro 3570.50 (42mm, manual, hesalite, no date, 50m water resistant)

Speedmaster Pro 3573.50 (42mm, manual, saphir/saphir, no date, 50m water resistant)

Speedmaster Co-Axial 3133 (44mm, Automatic, date, 100m water resistant)

Speedmaster Coax 9300 (44mm, Automatic, date, 100m water resistant)

DRAGUI99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2013, 12:50 PM   #30
rolexforumsfan

How many hours will each manual wind last? How can you tell if you need to wind it again before it stops completely? Will the daily winding cause additional wear and tear on the crown tube, crown stem and movement?
rolexforumsfan is offline   Reply With Quote