The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > Buyers/Sellers "Who's Who" ?!?!

Old 11 June 2020, 02:00 PM   #61
doctoryellow
"TRF" Member

You lost me at J and K
doctoryellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2020, 02:13 PM   #62
tkc324
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona AP DD Sub
if I was the seller I would just ignore you completely too. That list is so long and so scrutinizing, I believe you will come after me post sale for every little issue that may occur. Not worth the head ache buddy.

You are buying on Chrono 24. The money you pay is in escrow and once you get the watch take it to an AD or trusted watch maker to get it verified. Your money doesn’t even get released unless you give c24 the go ahead.
Plus you are in HK there are plenty gray dealers locally. Why are you even dealing w c24 and international transactions. Don’t you have to pay duty for import watches into HK?
tkc324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2020, 02:39 PM   #63
troways
"TRF" Member

Open the case back on a NOS rolex?Are you serious?

我從使用 Tapatalk 的 SM-G9650 發送
troways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2020, 02:48 PM   #64
bleighs
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126711 CHNR
no duty in HK as far as I know, fyi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkc324 View Post
if I was the seller I would just ignore you completely too. That list is so long and so scrutinizing, I believe you will come after me post sale for every little issue that may occur. Not worth the head ache buddy.

You are buying on Chrono 24. The money you pay is in escrow and once you get the watch take it to an AD or trusted watch maker to get it verified. Your money doesn’t even get released unless you give c24 the go ahead.
Plus you are in HK there are plenty gray dealers locally. Why are you even dealing w c24 and international transactions. Don’t you have to pay duty for import watches into HK?
bleighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2020, 03:03 PM   #65
Johndong888
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by mquarter View Post
It's fair enough that people suggest that I keep my requests reasonable, but as I haven't done this before I don't have a frame of reference as to what's "reasonable". Initially I thought the list of requested photos which comprehensively cover the whole watch would be reasonable considering the price of the watch is $20k. If that's not reasonable then what is?

So far there's a lot of feedback saying not to do it the way I did, but could someone give an example of how they've previously handled it with a dealer? E.g. do you:

1) ask a lot of questions, but space them out so it's not too much at once (but then your pre-purchase conversation ends up spanning multiple days)
2) ask fewer questions, and bank more on your judgement of the seller's feedback rating on C24 + other customer feedback you've managed to find outside the platform
3) maybe some kind of middle ground where you only ask the "most important questions" - what are they for you?
4) some other approach?

Your requests were over. Like you said, it’s a long list.

I think you’ll be much better off and happier buying from AD or in person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Johndong888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2020, 09:04 PM   #66
AnalyseLindsay
Banned

No ways i would open the case back as an owner...you buy it you open it...i would have lost interest after c
AnalyseLindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2020, 09:19 PM   #67
socalwatchcollector
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pateks Plural
Quote:
Originally Posted by DG123 View Post
I was formerly in the vacation rental business and learned to be very discriminating about accepting renters. If a potential one asked too many questions I discontinued communications and, or, refused their reservation request.
The problem with "customer review" system is that buyers/customers use it as a tool of extortion.

I have several as a hobby and couldn't agree with you more. I would have ran for the hills if someone asked this many questions.
socalwatchcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2020, 10:25 PM   #68
Frank McKay
"TRF" Member

I would hate to be your waiter.
Frank McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2020, 11:31 PM   #69
DG123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oyster Perpetual
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalwatchcollector View Post
I have several as a hobby and couldn't agree with you more. I would have ran for the hills if someone asked this many questions.
The "reviews" thing is a two edge sword. On one hand reviews can help an owner/seller attract more travelers/customers. On the other hand travelers/customers may use the threat of a negative review to extort money from the property owner.
For example, one customer stayed for a week and contacted me saying that since it rained two days during their visit they expected a two night credit refund of their rental fee. They let me know if they did not receive the credit they would be posting a very negative review.
I am not familiar with Chrono24 and, or, its review policies, but on most sites the policies favor the buyers , and sellers should be aware of this inequality.
DG123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2020, 11:39 PM   #70
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
Like AD’s, sellers on Chrono24 can sell to who they choose, and not sell to who they choose not to.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2020, 11:43 PM   #71
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Went through the same sort of thing with a buyer on TRF. Send pictures of this, send pictures of that, answer round after round of questions, and after all this the buyer backed out anyway. It's not worth the time to deal with all these questions when they can just sell to the next guy. Some buyers just aren't worth the headaches.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2020, 11:47 PM   #72
Megalobyte
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...me go broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaholic_user View Post
For non trusted members. I cant see why removing the caseback would be too much of a job. Tools are cheap online, a 4th grader can probably do it without a scratch. And it would be a buy or no buy depending on the chinz factor under there. Have to admit that is a lengthy list.
Then the service departments really need to hire some 4th graders! :)
Megalobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2020, 11:59 PM   #73
spersky
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mquarter View Post
I opened a chat with a dealer for a NOS Rolex. They ghosted me after I sent this rather lengthy request for additional photos.

--
a. The dial - set time to 8.45, GMT hand to the 4 position (= 8 position on the GMT bezel), set date to 17th
b. Close up of each of the 4 lugs
c. Crystal & bezel at an angle with light's reflection (want to see if there are any scratches)
d. Case side (both sides) & crown
e. Case back
f. Bracelet clasp
g. Photo of the bracelet open
h. Photo of watch, box and papers together
i. Open the paper and take a photo
j. Remove the bracelet, take photo of the serial number (must match papers)
k. Open the case back to show the movement
--

I admit the list is pretty long and it looks like a lot of work. However, the theme of the advice I read online was to be as thorough as possible. The listing already had some of the photos I requested, but my concern was they weren't high res - ie you couldn't see the tiny uni-directional lines of the brushing on the case. So even though the watch is still stickered, I can't see if there's any scratches etc. Perhaps I've asked for too much too soon.

Anyway I was looking for advice:
1) How do you guys typically engage with the dealer? (getting all your detailed questions answered without them putting you in the the "too hard" basket)

2) Does the type of questions you ask differ depending on whether it's been worn vs never worn/NOS? (In a different interaction, a seller basically shouted at me for asking whether the NOS he was selling had any blemishes or scratches.)

3) And what's the best way for me to salvage this interaction? the dealer's profile seems solid, they were responsive before I sent the above and they really want the piece.

You will have to buy a watch in person. You likely scared the seller with such a list. If I was selling, I would just offer to meet you for inspection.
spersky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2020, 12:04 AM   #74
interestedwatcher
2024 Pledge Member

Holy crap - that's a long list of requirements.

Would you even know what you're looking for with clasp pictures etc? Can you tell a fake bracelet?
interestedwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2020, 12:10 AM   #75
tvandevelde
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowlf View Post
Anytime someone starts asking me to “set the time” and “change the date” it’s a no-go.

Ask yourself before sending an inquiry: “is this a reasonable request?”

And then ask yourself: “would I be willing to accommodate it?”
I disagree with this. I won't advertise anything I don't have. I'm happy to set the time/date and even provide a pic of my DL to prove it's in my possession. I would never open a case or take a bracelet off.

I do agree with the majority.....too many questions leads me to believe you're a tire kicker. I have more problems selling $3k Breitlings than $15k Rolexes. Some customers aren't worth the trouble.
tvandevelde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2020, 12:10 AM   #76
johnorpheus
"TRF" Member

Watch: all of them
Yeah, no way. I'd never sell to anyone who sent a list like that. My thinking would be that no matter what you're going to find something wrong with the watch. OP, that's over the top ridiculous. You need to buy directly from an AD so you can go into the shop with a microscope and comb over it for any imperfection.
Old 12 June 2020, 12:16 AM   #77
interestedwatcher
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvandevelde View Post
I disagree with this. I won't advertise anything I don't have. I'm happy to set the time/date and even provide a pic of my DL to prove it's in my possession. I would never open a case or take a bracelet off.

I do agree with the majority.....too many questions leads me to believe you're a tire kicker. I have more problems selling $3k Breitlings than $15k Rolexes. Some customers aren't worth the trouble.
Setting the time is entirely reasonable, unless you're HQ Milton or similar.
Old 12 June 2020, 12:18 AM   #78
sammy11
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Meteorite
Same

Maybe start by saying Hi... then asking if it's still available

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Lugs View Post
I think the simple answer is to be reasonable. I’d ghost you myself if I received the same request, which seems a bit much IMHO.
sammy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2020, 12:24 AM   #79
Frits1980
"TRF" Member

You are a pain in the a#s customer, thats why they dont respond. My advise, Dont buy anything online.
Frits1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2020, 12:26 AM   #80
Lukebennett21
"TRF" Member

I tend to agree that the list is long but when you justify it by stating that this is in fact a $20,000 purchase it starts to make more sense. Watches are a strange beast - sometimes the cost becomes disconnected from reality and or our risk tolerance.

It is also interesting to me that it is perceived from a dealers perspective as too much hassle. Cars don’t seem to be that way. Maybe it is due to the margins on a watch sale or something. I think it also has to do with the collectors mentality that is very pervasive in this hobby.
Lukebennett21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2020, 12:33 AM   #81
interestedwatcher
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukebennett21 View Post
I tend to agree that the list is long but when you justify it by stating that this is in fact a $20,000 purchase it starts to make more sense. Watches are a strange beast - sometimes the cost becomes disconnected from reality and or our risk tolerance.

It is also interesting to me that it is perceived from a dealers perspective as too much hassle. Cars don’t seem to be that way. Maybe it is due to the margins on a watch sale or something. I think it also has to do with the collectors mentality that is very pervasive in this hobby.
I think it's the above - he won't be happy with any watch he recieves. It's a massive red flag.
Old 12 June 2020, 12:35 AM   #82
Brew
"TRF" Member

It's a long list, but it's your list. Stick to it. If someone meets your criteria, great! If no one is willing to respond to your criteria, you'll have to adjust accordingly. Nothing personal.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2020, 12:36 AM   #83
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowlf View Post
Anytime someone starts asking me to “set the time” and “change the date” it’s a no-go.

Ask yourself before sending an inquiry: “is this a reasonable request?”

And then ask yourself: “would I be willing to accommodate it?”
The only way you can verify the seller actually has the watch is to request a picture of the watch set to a specific time and date. This is a very common request and should always be accommodated. I had to do this on both the watches I have sold to individuals at their specific request.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2020, 12:36 AM   #84
superpop
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 and SS SkyD
Reminds me of the last boat I sold. Couple shows up and we go out for a water trial and she is instantly asking a ton of questions and also treating her husband like crap. Asking all kinds of questions and picking the boat apart. Gave me a low ball offer, told her nope, she ended up paying my full price and paying me for a tank of gas that she burned up on the water trial. A few questions are fine, when you become unreasonable, then most sellers get spooked. You sound like a difficult buyer.
superpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2020, 11:50 AM   #85
socalwatchcollector
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pateks Plural
Quote:
Originally Posted by DG123 View Post
The "reviews" thing is a two edge sword. On one hand reviews can help an owner/seller attract more travelers/customers. On the other hand travelers/customers may use the threat of a negative review to extort money from the property owner.
For example, one customer stayed for a week and contacted me saying that since it rained two days during their visit they expected a two night credit refund of their rental fee. They let me know if they did not receive the credit they would be posting a very negative review.
I am not familiar with Chrono24 and, or, its review policies, but on most sites the policies favor the buyers , and sellers should be aware of this inequality.
This^^^
socalwatchcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2020, 01:28 PM   #86
Beckster
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
OP is reflected as from Hong Kong. Not sure why you would buy from C24, especially if you’re that fussy, if you are from there. Plenty of established brick and mortar shops and private sellers there who you can go see face to face for your peace of mind. Not to mention the assurance of getting to see the piece in person before paying for it. Not quite sure OPs train of thought.